PDA

View Full Version : Callan Ward, beyond 2008

Dogs 24/7
03-08-2008, 11:46 AM
He's easily exceeded most expectations in his debut season but I wonder what position he will eventually make his own? My gut feel is that it will be as a winger but really with his poise and balance he could play anywhere.
Where do you seem him settling into the side?

Rocket Science
03-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Agreed on his versatility and class...he could end up playing a Johnno type role, perhaps without the whole 'shoehorning him into full-forward' bit.

LostDoggy
03-08-2008, 11:54 AM
If we can recruit a good sized centre half forward I would see Ward slotting into one of the half forward spots with Murphy. Now Hahn might have something to say about that because he has an ability to turn doubters into believers but Ward will keep pressuring him.
I wonder if he will just play in a lot of different positions wherever the coach needs him

bornadog
03-08-2008, 12:26 PM
I seem him as a future midfielder. He is not afraid to get in and under, has great disposal of the footy and a very smart footballer.

ledge
03-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Take over from West maybe?

Happy Days
03-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Take over from West maybe?

I think that Crossy's got that role stitched up.

I think he'll play as a forward for the next couple of seasons, then as he adapts to the standard will be moved into the midfield.

knowitall
05-08-2008, 12:07 AM
I think that Crossy's got that role stitched up.

I think he'll play as a forward for the next couple of seasons, then as he adapts to the standard will be moved into the midfield.

I'll be honest, Callan Ward is one of the best talents I have seen land at the Western Bulldogs Football Club.

Depending on his attitude, and how serious he is about his football in the next few years, wih all due respect he has the potential to be an absolute star.

He has shown in his first two games (probably wouldn't count his third) that he has what it takes to perform at the highest level, and still being in school this year and doing so well with his football, it is probably fair to say that he has a great future ahead of him if he wanted.

Farren Ray FTW you are probably right in saying he will play as a forward in the next couple of seasons, and as he adapts will be moved into the midfield. He is only around about 80kg's at the moment so until he gets to the 83-85 kilo range he will be playing as a forward IMO.

What do you guys think about the kid? I am not only talking him up from watching his few games with the Bulldogs, but have watched many games down at Williamstown this year. Reading articles on Callan earlier in the year, it also seemed as if Callan had a very level head and was very modest.

DOG GOD
05-08-2008, 11:00 AM
His attitude towards himself and those around him will take him VERY VERY far.

outstanding talent.

BulldogBelle
05-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Think whilst its still early days for Callan he needs to develop his aerobic capacity and upper body strength to play as an in and under midfielder...suggest a run on the half forward line & forward pocket and on the wings could be in store for him in 09

Think he will keep Eagle honest (given Eagles age and doubters) for a role on the Wing even as early as next year.

Another good development opportunuity for him will be to play in the forward line, as we NEED midfielders who can consistently kick goals (i'm talking about Mr West and Mr Cross- and not about Mr Cooney etc)...would be advantageous to teach him to learn where the goal posts are before we unleash him into our regular midfield rotation.

hujsh
05-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Think whilst its still early days for Callan he needs to develop his aerobic capacity and upper body strength to play as an in and under midfielder...suggest a run on the half forward line & forward pocket and on the wings could be in store for him in 09

Think he will keep Eagle honest (given Eagles age and doubters) for a role on the Wing even as early as next year.

Another good development opportunuity for him will be to play in the forward line, as we NEED midfielders who can consistently kick goals (i'm talking about Mr West and Mr Cross- and not about Mr Cooney etc)...would be advantageous to teach him to learn where the goal posts are before we unleash him into our regular midfield rotation.

Cooney Griff Eagle Boyd and Gia are all capable imo. I think we do fairly well in the goal kicking midfield department

Go_Dogs
06-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Interesting thread.

Ward could play just about anywhere it seems, and with our huge supply of small forwards I would be tempted to let him learn the role Griff played over his first few years, running hard off the backline and using the ball well.

Long term, he'll be a flexible utility type who can play anywhere.

Bulldogs_6
12-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Definitely see him as a future leader.. From the looks IMO he looks a real wildcard to be something special, just by the quickness in which he has developed to AFL standard. His the type of player with nothing flashy but just seems to perfect all the basics which made players such as Bucks and Vossy great players.

No way am I comparing him to Vossy and Bucks but he can definitely mould into that type of category. Will be a leader their is no doubt in my mind, and will play many games for the club through the midfield ;)

Scraggers
12-08-2008, 03:26 AM
I seem him as a future midfielder. He is not afraid to get in and under, has great disposal of the footy and a very smart footballer.

I would prefer to see his run from a half back flack position ... with his versatility he can help out down back when required then quickly turn defense into offense (straight down the Doug Hawkins wing)

LostDoggy
12-08-2008, 08:53 AM
The kid is exciting amount of times he has gone back with the flight of the ball and knew someone was coming at him as well as throwing himself to lay a tackle or just make a contest is a fantasic attribute for such a young bloke. He will be a fantastic asset to the club and is reason to be excited about our future. Cooney, Griff, Harbrow, Everitt, Ward, Hill all have more years ahead of them then what are behind them and add Ayce, Grant, O'keife, Stack and co and it should be a strong team over the comming years.

ledge
12-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Ward is still slight and needs to be looked after just as Super used to look after Leon Cameron in his younger days.
Maybe play him off a half back flank as suggested, that way he doesnt get the heavy knocks just yet.
Or play him on a wing so he has a bit of space.
I remember a bloke called Wanganeen who was so skinny he played off a half back flank until his body was a little harder, its the safest place to play if your slight.

Cyberdoggie
12-08-2008, 12:45 PM
i think ward is a similar style player to gia,

More of a hff type player with a great vision, exceptional skills by foot, mentally tough and loves the sight of a goal.

He has played hff and hbf equally throughout his junior career i believe, i think he has more effect up forward, at least for now. We'll see when he puts on some size what he evolves into.

ledge
12-08-2008, 12:57 PM
i think ward is a similar style player to gia,

More of a hff type player with a great vision, exceptional skills by foot, mentally tough and loves the sight of a goal.

He has played hff and hbf equally throughout his junior career i believe, i think he has more effect up forward, at least for now. We'll see when he puts on some size what he evolves into.

Dont get me wrong i think in the end he will be a centre, changing down forward, just his little body worries me at the moment and dont want him getting flattened.
Another year in the gym, some tutilidge under players like Johnno and Westy, the kid will be a star.

Go_Dogs
12-08-2008, 01:21 PM
i think he has more effect up forward, at least for now.

I seem to remember him doing pretty well in the backline last year, even playing as a CHB at certain stages, from some of the Jets reports we got here(? Could be wrong). Considering our current back group and our forward group, I think as a side we'd gain more from him playing back at the moment. He just adds a bit of class from the back line which we have missed a bit this year, and with Hargrav/Morrise possibly stuck on bigger opponents for the next few weeks it's the best option at the moment.

GetDimmaBack
12-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Half back would be good ATM (like Murph in his younger days) until he matures mentally and physically.
He seems to have the potential to grow into a classic ruck-rover type, once he has had a couple of pre-seasons in the gym. I reckon he'll build up into the shape of a Dal Santo - hopefully with a little more game changing impact!

MrMahatma
16-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Maybe HBF for next year, then the guts from there. He's going to be a gun mid... Voss style.

Lock it in.

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I can't wait until Cal has finished his studies. Can you imagine how good this guy will be when he's a full time footballer?