PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Bulldogs vs Kangaroos

GVGjr
10-08-2008, 08:37 AM
This is the discussion thread for this evenings game against the always dangerous North Melbourne side.

The Dogs by 14 points, Johnson for the first goal and Boyd for BOG honors.

The North tall forward will be a real test for us and keeping Wells and Boomer Harvey under control is critical.

Max469
10-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Today we need to step up and show that North they are at not going to be a bogey team any longer.

We need to prove that we are the real deal but to do this - the team all must turn up to play.

We can not let Boomer off the leash and no matter where they put Petrie today - remember it is a big one for him and he will be wanting to show us how it is done.

Having said that - I believe that all the dogs will come out to play and we will win by:

Dogs by 9 points

Gia - 1st Goal

Cross - BOG

The Coon Dog
10-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Dogs by 16 points & Murph for the first sausage.

The Pie Man
10-08-2008, 09:20 AM
My head tells me North will be too tall and have the greater motivation, Roos by 14 points. We're due a big game from Murphy, and good luck to big Streety today.

I'm hoping our credibility can be a key motivator for the guys today.

BulldogBelle
10-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Dogs by 18 points
1st goal - Johnson
BOG - Cooney

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 11:24 AM
First goal to minno
Aker bog
Dogs by 13

Bulldog Revolution
10-08-2008, 11:54 AM
My head tells me North will be too tall and have the greater motivation, Roos by 14 points. We're due a big game from Murphy, and good luck to big Streety today.

I'm hoping our credibility can be a key motivator for the guys today.

I feel a bit the same. I just am doubting that we can bring the required intensity to beat North - who are pretty much always up for it. I desperately hope I am wrong.

The Pie Man
10-08-2008, 12:05 PM
I feel a bit the same. I just am doubting that we can bring the required intensity to beat North - who are pretty much always up for it. I desperately hope I am wrong.

I remember we played Adelaide in Adelaide about this time in 1997, we' been through a bit of a form slump, and had beaten Melbourne the week previous but not all that convincingly. I, along with all the tipsters, thought Adelaide were certainties, and our top 4 hopes would take a dive. I still remember James Cook chasing down someone and slotting home the resultant free kick from outside 50 and us gaining momentum from this. I'm hoping something similar happens today, could be a real turning point in the season (either way)

Bumper Bulldogs
10-08-2008, 12:10 PM
The dogs have passed most tests this year and I'm sure we will pass today.

It will be a tough one, so take your blood pressure tablets.

Aka first goal
BOG Boyd
Dogs by 3.

Mantis
10-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Heart says Bulldogs... Head is still undecided so we will go with the heart.

Dogs by 17pts

Must win the ball out of the middle, use the ball well and apply solid pressure to the North runners when they have the ball. If North get clean ball from the middle I am doubtful that our defence will be able to hold firm.

Looking for big games from our mids who have been down a little over the past month.

cinder
10-08-2008, 12:28 PM
We badly need Acker, Murph, Hahn & Welsh to fire. But yes, for that to happen, our midfield needs to be up to scratch as well!
I'll say Dogs by 12.

Go_Dogs
10-08-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm not convinced we'll win today, but given that we have (usually) risen to the occasion this year I'm hopeful we can get a win.

BOG - Griffen
First Goal - Ray

The most interesting aspect will almost be just to see who plays and where this week.

Dry Rot
10-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Presume Street is definitely playing? I'd like to see him up forward for a while - IMO he's a better mark than Minson.

Happy Days
10-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Presume Street is definitely playing? I'd like to see him up forward for a while - IMO he's a better mark than Minson.

Said on the VFL yesterday that he had been promoted.

Murph first goal,
Cooney BOG,
Dogs by 18.

Rocket Science
10-08-2008, 01:37 PM

...and a better kick. Welcome back Street Machine!

Intrigued by our structure down back, but also up forward.

I realise Street's inclusion is likely at Hudson's expense, but does Rocket dare play Hudson, and Minson, and Street, and run with a top-heavy twin-towers forward set up surrounded by a quartet of hungry mosquitoes? If nothing else the Roos would have to respect them with suitably sized opponents, meaning less chance for them to attempt to stretch us for height down the other end.

Nonsensical musings aside, reckon we'll stick it to these upstarts today.

Dogs by 31

Johnno first major

Raiging Bull Brian Lake to get BOG by blanketing Thompson/Petrie and hurting the Roos sparking our counterattacks at every opportunity.

Carna Scrays.

westdog54
10-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Early Match ups:

Ray has the job on Harvey, Firrito has gone to Griffen

westdog54
10-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Roos are wasting chances, 4 behinds to zip at the moment, we're sounding shaky.

ledge
10-08-2008, 02:47 PM
That quarter absolute rubbish, couldnt beat Melbourne on that crap.

ledge
10-08-2008, 03:03 PM
We are getting worse, this is getting to be a slaughter, where are our forwards?
Cannot believe that its 4 onto 1 in our forward line, ball watching, reactive,second to the ball.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-08-2008, 03:13 PM
That quarter absolute rubbish, couldnt beat Melbourne on that crap.

We might have a top 4 spot sown up.. but on our current form we would not hold too many fears for those who come up against us.
It is imperative we get back to the way we we were playing in the 1st half of the year.
Guys like Tiller, Aker and Eagleton are a liability at the moment, and Cooney and Griffen are not causing North any worries.

This game is all but over as we approach half time, and we need to show some resolve in the second half. We cannot afford to take a big hit to our confidence by getting rolled heavily today.

Where has our run gone? Where has our defensive pressure gone? Why does it appear as if we've got less players on the field than North???
Where is the passion??

I am not looking forward to September based on what we're serving up at the moment, and I am disgusted with the effort from our players since the break.

Farren Ray getting run down just typifies it all. Where was his awareness, and saving that, where was the communication from his teammates?????

I don't think I can watch much more of this crap.

ledge
10-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Is the club insured?
Because if the players job description is to play football they arent and we have just been robbed by them this week.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Insipid.

This all starts from Eade publicly focusing on Hawthorn a month before even playing them. I've never quite heard a coach look that far forward - usually it's a week by week proposition but it appears the coaching staff have got ahead of themselves with this one, and it's rubbing off on the players because I doubt I've ever seen them look as dis-interested and as half hearted as today. Baffles me why Eade wouldn't care of our form leading into the finals. He FULL well knows this bunch had confidence issues in the past; why the hell would he toy with that simply because top four's a formality?

I don't see Geelong and Hawthorn doing that, why are we?

Nevertheless, the players need to have a long hard look at themselves because their effort - if you can call it that - is absolutely disgraceful for supposed AFL/Top Four standard. Aside from Johnson/Boyd and a few others who are working hard, it's been one of the worst performances I've seen from us. The lack of effort is very disturbing.

hujsh
10-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Farren Ray getting run down just typifies it all. Where was his awareness, and saving that, where was the communication from his teammates?????

More team mates than Ray's fault there i think.

Minson 's doing ok. At least more than Street. Have barely noticed him after the ball up's.

Can't just stand in the square and watch Petrie run around.:mad:

I may not watch much more of the game. To see so much of nothing.

Rocket Science
10-08-2008, 03:30 PM
there are few more lamentable sights than a footy team with no brains, and no balls

westdog54
10-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Luke Darcy has just given Akermanis a spray on SEN.

He's said that from an outsider/commentators perspective, he looks flat, uninterested, and if he doesn't lift he probably should be dropped back to Williamstown.

Gave a rap to Callan Ward for being one of the only ones willing to put the body on the line.

He thinks we're gone from what he's seen, and from what I've heard I have to agree with him.

ledge
10-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Glad its an away game because I would be spewing if the club accepted the gate takings on this effort.
Would write a letter wanting a refund.
I paid money to watch a football match by the Western Bulldogs players , thats false advertizing.

Big Bad Dog
10-08-2008, 03:39 PM
We might have a top 4 spot sown up.. but on our current form we would not hold too many fears for those who come up against us.
It is imperative we get back to the way we we were playing in the 1st half of the year.
Guys like Tiller, Aker and Eagleton are a liability at the moment, and Cooney and Griffen are not causing North any worries.

This game is all but over as we approach half time, and we need to show some resolve in the second half. We cannot afford to take a big hit to our confidence by getting rolled heavily today.

Where has our run gone? Where has our defensive pressure gone? Why does it appear as if we've got less players on the field than North???
Where is the passion??

I am not looking forward to September based on what we're serving up at the moment, and I am disgusted with the effort from our players since the break.

I don't think I can watch much more of this crap.

Couldnt agree more on Tiller ,Aker & Eagleton.
The only highlight for me is seeing young Ward play so well & having a crack!
He is showing the way to the older guys.
Reckon it is time we got some more young blood into the team .
Surely the timing is right to rest the some of the above & blood young O'Keefe after he had another good game yesterday.He has kicked goals in nearly every game this year & gets a heap of the ball.
The team needs a spark & some young enthusiasm!

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 03:42 PM
It looks very much like 2007 end of year finish. I can't believe this is the same team that would fight out the game to the very end to pull out a draw after being four or five goals down against Richmond. I am so disappointed - it always seems like when we have a chance for glory we just stuff it up. Whether it is being on live television or a just to finally win another premiership - we just let it slip through our fingers. We need a good sports psychologist down at the club immediately:mad:

ledge
10-08-2008, 03:47 PM
What the hell is Akermanis doing playing in the back line?
No wonder he isnt getting a kick, i dont blame him , he is an opportunist forward not a backman!

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Come On Dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

westdog54
10-08-2008, 04:09 PM
That last goal to Thompson hurt.

I'm loving the sound of Harbrow's work. Should be playing forward all the time in a Matthew Robbins-type role IM.O

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Geez end of the third and we are four goals down - if we manage to pull out a win from here - I take back every single negative word I said about this team - COME ON DOGS WE CAN DO THIS!

westdog54
10-08-2008, 04:15 PM
MURPH!!!!!!

That cancels out Thompson's goal, 3 goals in it again.

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 04:22 PM
That hurt:(

ledge
10-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Think Street just played his last game, blown away.
We need Ray running with Griffen.

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 04:26 PM
We're gone!

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 04:29 PM
This game goes to show how important Hudson is to the 'new bulldogs'. Street's papers have been stamped I would suggest.

ledge
10-08-2008, 04:34 PM
My mum will get a game next week and get more possessions than half our side.

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Good to see that we are at least hanging in there, also they may still be feeling the effects of the ramped up workload, hope their right on that one. Pls Get up Doggies.

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 04:43 PM
My mum will get a game next week and get more possessions than half our side.

Provided she's had a full pre-season Ledge. Wouldn't want her to pull a hammy.

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Thank god they fought their way back into the game - it looked potentially a blow out and a 60+ belting at one stage. I am not happy but I can stomache a 20 point loss against a team trying to break into the big four against a side who are comfortably in the top 4.

But geez we need to put a Rocket up Aker, glad we are resting Hudson because he is vital for our finals chances, and I am rapt that Johno is back to his old form - so a few positives I can take out of the game.

Felt sorry for Darcy calling the game - it must be so hard for him watching our dismal performance in the first half and being positive about the Kangaroos (sorry it is the only satisfaction I can get calling them that).

Other point - a couple of commentators have mentioned that Cooney has been off his game since the birth of his baby - perhaps loosing sleep or just not focussed - thoughts?

hujsh
10-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Much better second half.

Positives are Aka getting some form back on Harvey, Ward playing well, Minson looking better around the ground with his ball use (at least compared to Street), Johnno and Harbrow.

Bad news: Can't stop Petrie, Street not such great backup after-all, poor start again, Rawlings, Wells and Harvey not being held, let them run back into defense and triple team Hahn.

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Cooney, Griff and Aka looked much better in that second half.
good signs

Rocket Science
10-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Well, if that was the NAB Cup we've just booked ourselves a ticket to Woop Woop for next week. So much for that strategy.

Stick the 2nd half fightback...good teams that want to be taken seriously don't serve up that slop so readily, again and again. Good teams may lapse, but learn from their misdeeds. We don't.

That's 3 losses from our past 4 outings.

Babies...increased training regimen...phantom injuries...forward planning...I've had it with excuses and the cliched lip service paid to what this team should be doing but hasn't for at least a month.

If I'm an opposition outfit come September, I'd be more than happy having to face the Dogs. That's precisely where we're at, and no amount of rationalizing makes that ok.

cinder
10-08-2008, 05:38 PM
I nearly left at half time (because I was bloody freezing - you notice it more when you're getting belted).
Stuck it out ... very abismal first half, we should be playing so much better - 2nd on the ladder with few injuries. Not many excuses for us unfortunately. Can't carry that kind of form into the finals.
I haven't given up yet but Hawks and Cats just seem so much further ahead of us.

Mofra
10-08-2008, 05:52 PM
The most obvious aspect of the game today (apart from Telstra Dome being colder than Santa's outdoor dunny) was how terrible we look when we play defensively.
First half, we played a spare man in defence. Second half, we play accountable football (except for the occasional running forward of the ball at contests) and match a team who has more to play for than us.

At least we have unequivocable proof that man behind the play, zones etc. are not how we will win games as a club.

BulldogBelle
10-08-2008, 06:04 PM
We cant say that our fitness is to blame, as we fought back in the 3rd and 4th quarters

We were completely outplayed in centre clearances...I was tearing my hair out in the 4th quarter when Rocket put Ward in the middle when we were 2/3 goals down...the kid will be a player in a few years time, but sending a just turned 18 year old into the middle isnt such a good idea...

Minson and Street did OK...but our onballers got whopped in the centre clearance department.

Campbell got a few of his goals very cheaply at times when we couldnt let him

Really pleased with Harbrow..got his chances and converted them...Hopefully his confidence will improve from today...

GVGjr
10-08-2008, 06:28 PM
I won't give a lot of kudos for the way we bounced back in the 2nd half because we should have never gotten into that position to start with. This is however getting quite embarrassing the way North have the wood on us. I know a lot of Bulldog people get stuck into Grant Thomas because he doesn't rate us highly (because of the way the Saints used to handle us during his tenure) but I'm guessing North supporters would very much look forward to playing us in the finals.

Mofra
10-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Really pleased with Harbrow..got his chances and converted them...Hopefully his confidence will improve from today...
He was our best in the first half, really works hard both ways. Quite a good tackle for a bloke his size

Mantis
10-08-2008, 06:42 PM
The most obvious aspect of the game today (apart from Telstra Dome being colder than Santa's outdoor dunny) was how terrible we look when we play defensively.
First half, we played a spare man in defence. Second half, we play accountable football (except for the occasional running forward of the ball at contests) and match a team who has more to play for than us.

At least we have unequivocable proof that man behind the play, zones etc. are not how we will win games as a club.

Agree wholeheartedly.

When you play with a small forwardline like we do you can't afford to have these forwards out-numbered.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-08-2008, 07:22 PM
When you play with a small forwardline like we do you can't afford to have these forwards out-numbered.

Particularly against North Melbourne.

Firrito and Petrie especially must love playing against us; they cut off our 'passes' every single time we play them, and the same result follows.

Go_Dogs
10-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Pretty woeful game that we just never looked like winning.

Few positives though. Ward was good, Harbrow was good, Johnno is starting to run back into some form, Cooney was alright, Minson took a few grabs and was pretty good around the ground.

When we were coming forward there looked to be much more thought in the delivery (although sometimes still a bit too telegraphed) but at least we were looking to put the ball in space in front of a leading target. (Not every time).

Our inability to take the first option when the heat was on was pretty poor, so often we'd get past one North player, not take an option to move the ball and get tackled by a second North player. Just not enough awareness/talk and first option for mine.

Certainly don't want to play North in the finals. They are simply to strong and even for us.

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Dissapointing first half, respectable 2nd...except when we managed to get a couple in a row they just shut that momentum down..

Good things out of the game is Johnson showing how its done, great game by him...and little Harbrow going back with confidence to kick those goals..Umpires gave us nothing aswell..so many unpaid opportunities..14-24 free kicks in their favor, ridiculous

So frustrating how they seem to have the wood over us the last few times..we manage to get their stupid milestone games or coming back from an interstate game...or even both these past 2 times..

G-Mo77
10-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Not really much to say. I'm pretty disappointed the fight back was nice but it was a case of to little to late. Some nice play from a few of our younger brigade and Johnno looks to playing some good football but other than that not much to write about.

What I find really worrying is our tackling. Early in the season they were ferocious. Now it seem that Miss Daisy would be able to break a tackle anywhere around the ground. The intensity is not there and regardless of what these final games mean I find that a real concern.

Scraggers
10-08-2008, 08:49 PM
First time we have won a second half in a number of rounds now ... trick is, to take this sort of form to BrisVegas

Dogs 24/7
10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
I gather criticism of Eade isn't something that to many will support but he was very slow to react today and Im not sure that he has had a great month in the coaches box himself.

We lacked a bit all around the ground today whilst the Roo boys hit the ground running. We need to find another lever or two soon.

hujsh
10-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Was the defensive football maybe an experiment for Hawthorn if Buddy is on fire of something?

Bulldog Revolution
10-08-2008, 09:30 PM
The first quarter, and our complete lack of fire in that quarter cost us dearly - we did not by any stretch of the imagination come to play. We talked about getting a fast start but the team was asleep.

We started to get going in the second, and had some really good patches in the second half, but we just gave up too much of a lead before we started playing.

Our centre square are allowing too many clean takeaways

It's a bit of a reality check of where we are at

Sedat
10-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Very poor first half but we did end up matching North, a hardened stoppage team, in the clearances and hard ball gets. The difference was ultimately 3 gift goals, 2 to Harvey that 99 times out of 100 would have been rushed behinds and one courtesy of a Tiller clanger in the 2nd qtr. Early on we failed miserably to cope with North's clustered midfield game plan (very similar to Hawthorn's) but we started to slice it open as the match wore on.

I'm not about to slash my wrists over that performance.

Brent Harvey is the Warne to our Cullinan. He must wish he played us every week. Petrie as well.

LostDoggy
11-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Pretty uninspiring proformance. However Ward, Harbrow and Johnno put in all day. I actually liked seeing Eade put Ward in the centre shows the "older" guys that if your not going to put your boody on the line and have a crack well I'll put someone there that will.

Streeter sorry mate good @ VFL but can't step up when it counts. Murph did some good things when the supply was there. The main difference I have found in the last month is that we don't have as many guys willing to get their hands dirty and play hard contested footy thats what we did well in the first half of the season and for some reason it has dropped off. Hopefull the week off has helped Huddo because we need him. He and Will have proven to be a good combo.

Upsides?? Well Callan came back to add a bit of grit I would rate it OK - Solid. We have a few big ins still to come. Huddo, Higgins, Williams and West. Williams is obviously the big one the back line just looks so much more structured with him in it for a bloke that has played less that 20 games he is quickly turning into one of our most important players on our list.

Huddo in for street
West (when fit) in for Eagleton
Williams (when fit) in for Tiller
Higgins in for Ray (hard call but who else would you leave out??)

ledge
11-08-2008, 10:22 AM

Akermanis.

craigsahibee
11-08-2008, 11:07 AM
I hate losing to those turd$. Actually, I just hate losing.

Is there a more annoying little $hit than Brent Harvey. Did anyone else notice during the 3rd quarter when Aker beat him in a one on one, and we took the ball the length of the field where Harbrow kicked a goal, for the entire time the ball travelled upfield Harvey just whinged to the umpire because he didn't get a free kick for holding the man.

Harvey had the audacity to accuse Melbourne's Lynden Dunn of being selfish a few weeks ago, but he is clearly the most selfish player in the league.

Twice yesterday he had set shots from 50 where he was clearly out of his range, yet he still chose a shot at personal glory before putting the team first.

If he wins the Brownlow this year, (which I doubt he will because he does a lot of whinging to the umpires) I will officially denounce the medal as a complete waste of time and effort. Am I bitter? Yes. Am I looking forward to the finals? On current form, no.

Huddo in for street

Unless these changes suggested by Muttley3028 occur, we are in serious trouble.

Where was Higgins on the weekend?

Sedat
11-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Interesting stat I noticed in the paper today, which I suspected was happening yestersday but not to the extent that the final number revealed. We had 25 more clangers than North did on the day.....25! That is an unbelievable discrepency. Especially early on it felt like we were butchering the ball just about every time we ventured forward. Some of this can be attributed to North's pressure on the ball carrier but we had an extremely poor day skill-wise. Every single player in the side had at least 1 clanger.

LostDoggy
11-08-2008, 11:47 AM

Akermanis.

Akermanis won't be left out this week especially as we are playing against his old side.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Some are knocking Streety.

He had the most hitouts AND the highest percentage of anyone 'to advantage'.

My issue yesterday, was the backline and midfielders lack of faith in kicking the ball to him. Often he had space to take a mark or had a midget on him. So often he was ignored, which for me sends a pretty unfortunate message...

Sam Power was always my love child and i wanted him traded last year to get away from baggage and negativity. Streety my love child this year i want the same for. I'd love to see him go to Carlton who need a ruck and to thrive somewhere else.

The Pie Man
11-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Huddo in for street

Unless these changes suggested by Muttley3028 occur, we are in serious trouble.

Where was Higgins on the weekend?

I saw Higgins with Williams in the outer yesterday, looked jovial enough. O'Shea was walking past us and my old man started asking him questions (it was a little embarrassing but he was really accommodating, nice fella) Higgins apparently needed a week off for the ankle but should return this week. Hoping he and West come through this week unscathed, as the ins above suggest, we need both of them in pre September. I know Ward played well, but I think Ray might be a bit ahead of him. Eagleton is that close to finished isn't he? Wasn't a good day for him

Funny moment of the day was watching Scott West walking up the 1st level stairs with a coffee and a snack, and having to out them down ever 3rd step while some overzealous Dogs fans asked him for a photo - didn't knock back one request, we were p..ssing ourselves laughing, he walked past us and my old man quips 'should ask for $50 a pop'

Topdog
11-08-2008, 01:30 PM
The 3rd quarter showed us what we are capable of. Brisbane are in a bit of a mess at the moment and we seem to be playing ourselves into a bit of form whilst not being able to do it for 4 quarters.

I can see us winning our last 3 matches.

Mofra
11-08-2008, 02:21 PM

His lack of second efforts at the centre bounce was noticeable. After a bounce, Hudson is in the middle of the pack, on hands & knees. Street on a number of occasions was standing out, waiting for the handoff.

The Pie Man
11-08-2008, 04:20 PM
The 3rd quarter showed us what we are capable of. Brisbane are in a bit of a mess at the moment and we seem to be playing ourselves into a bit of form whilst not being able to do it for 4 quarters.

I can see us winning our last 3 matches.

I agree on Brisbane, probably a good time to get up there and play them, and also keep the win in every state and territory for 2008 dream alive.

I'm not so confident about Adelaide in the last round, I didn't see their form turnaround coming, they look very dangerous.

Go_Dogs
11-08-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm not so confident about Adelaide in the last round, I didn't see their form turnaround coming, they look very dangerous.

On current form they'll spank us at AAMI.

hujsh
11-08-2008, 05:37 PM

My issue yesterday, was the backline and midfielders lack of faith in kicking the ball to him. Often he had space to take a mark or had a midget on him. So often he was ignored, which for me sends a pretty unfortunate message...

Sam Power was always my love child and i wanted him traded last year to get away from baggage and negativity. Streety my love child this year i want the same for. I'd love to see him go to Carlton who need a ruck and to thrive somewhere else.

My issue with Street is he stood in the square while Petrie cut off our passes.

AT LEAST TRY TO FOLLOW HIM AND BE DANGEROUS IF HE DOES THAT!!!!!!!

bulldogtragic
11-08-2008, 05:54 PM
My issue with Street is he stood in the square while Petrie cut off our passes.

AT LEAST TRY TO FOLLOW HIM AND BE DANGEROUS IF HE DOES THAT!!!!!!!
I take the point on board as it is a fair criticism. The bigger issue for me is when it was on the turnover and Petrie was not on Street no-one was hitting him up.

Personally i love the guy, but if your teammates wont hit you up when your similar sized opponent is 30 metres away then there is no point playing him (As much as i hate to say it).

Rach
11-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I didn't get to watch (or listen) to much of the game. I thought by the quarter time score, that we were going to lose by quite a lot, so I was surprised to hear later on that the final margin was 20 points.

LostDoggy
11-08-2008, 09:03 PM
I gather criticism of Eade isn't something that to many will support but he was very slow to react today and Im not sure that he has had a great month in the coaches box himself.

We lacked a bit all around the ground today whilst the Roo boys hit the ground running. We need to find another lever or two soon.

Eade should be under the microscope more than he has been. We cannot simply accept the performances we have been dishing up of late.
I can handle a loss if the other team plays above us but we should be able to more than handle North. They flogged us in the first half and a fair portion of the blame should be aimed at the coach.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Eade should be under the microscope more than he has been. We cannot simply accept the performances we have been dishing up of late.
I can handle a loss if the other team plays above us but we should be able to more than handle North. They flogged us in the first half and a fair portion of the blame should be aimed at the coach.

When he publicly declares the last four or so games of the H&A season 'NAB Cup like', what do you expect?

Apparently we don't need good form leading into the finals.

Ridiculous. This side has had confidence issues for years; they need all the wins possible otherwise they'll fall into a hole ala last year.

Mantis
11-08-2008, 09:46 PM
On the Eade issue the part that I struggle with is how we are unable to stop a team's momentum. It has been seen on a fair few occassions that once a team get's a run on they are able to kick multiple goals in fairly quick succession and we seem to have no strategy to stop it. I suppose we have strategies that we put in place, but none of them seem to work.

Yesterday we put a few player's behind the ball and that made things worse because as we did this we started winning the ball out of the middle and had no forwardline, thus gifting possession to North. On top of this the player's we had playing the spare man role either didn't use the abll well enough (Johnson) to hurt the opposition or got lost and couldn't help out his defender's (Tiller).

We also had our midfielders playing a rolling zone where we guarded space rather than our opponents and this didn't work either.

It was interesting to see how when we gained some momentum in the 3rd and 4th quarter's North were able to slow the game down by firstly keeping possession when they had the ball and manning us up when we had it, something we haven't been able to do over the past month.

GVGjr
11-08-2008, 09:56 PM
When he publicly declares the last four or so games of the H&A season 'NAB Cup like', what do you expect?

Apparently we don't need good form leading into the finals.

Ridiculous. This side has had confidence issues for years; they need all the wins possible otherwise they'll fall into a hole ala last year.

Fully agree. In my opinion it wasn't the right thing to be saying out loud even if he actually believed it.

BulldogBelle
11-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Fully agree. In my opinion it wasn't the right thing to be saying out loud even if he actually believed it.

Yep, I thought the same - whilst at the footy yesterday was seated near some North supporters and we were having a friendly chat about the game and one of the North supporters said that Eade wasn't paying any respect to North when I queried as to why he would say that - he mentioned Eade's comments to the media last week.

Scraggers
11-08-2008, 10:26 PM
On the Eade issue the part that I struggle with is how we are unable to stop a team's momentum. It has been seen on a fair few occassions that once a team get's a run on they are able to kick multiple goals in fairly quick succession and we seem to have no strategy to stop it. I suppose we have strategies that we put in place, but none of them seem to work.

Yesterday we put a few player's behind the ball and that made things worse because as we did this we started winning the ball out of the middle and had no forwardline, thus gifting possession to North. On top of this the player's we had playing the spare man role either didn't use the abll well enough (Johnson) to hurt the opposition or got lost and couldn't help out his defender's (Tiller).

We also had our midfielders playing a rolling zone where we guarded space rather than our opponents and this didn't work either.

It was interesting to see how when we gained some momentum in the 3rd and 4th quarter's North were able to slow the game down by firstly keeping possession when they had the ball and manning us up when we had it, something we haven't been able to do over the past month.

Teams know to hit us hard on the scoreboard early, as we are susceptible to slow starts (Case in point; North - first five goals, Sydney - first four goals, Carlton - first four goals, even Geelong to a lesser extent with the first two goals).

We need to decide before the game that we have come here to play and start when the first siren is sounded

Sockeye Salmon
11-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Yep, I thought the same - whilst at the footy yesterday was seated near some North supporters and we were having a friendly chat about the game and one of the North supporters said that Eade wasn't paying any respect to North when I queried as to why he would say that - he mentioned Eade's comments to the media last week.

Heathy dose of paranoia there. Tell them not everything is about North Melbourne.

That was Eade talking about us and had nothing to do with who we were playing over the last 4 rounds.

ledge
12-08-2008, 11:12 AM
It has been seen on a fair few occassions that once a team get's a run on they are able to kick multiple goals in fairly quick succession

Actually we are one of them teams.

Mantis
12-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Actually we are one of them teams.

I think we are all happy to watch us do it, but it kinder sucks when it happens against us... Are we being greedy?

BulldogBelle
12-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Did any of you see the incident that Murph had with Brady Rawlings that the MRP were looking at? Can't say I saw it. :eek:

Just came accross this -

MRP Findings (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/saints-may-lose-fiora-for-a-game/2008/08/11/1218306775818.html)

Western Bulldogs forward Robert Murphy was also cleared after the panel decided his action against North Melbourne's Brady Rawlings was a legitimate attempt to spoil.