PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Bulldogs vs Lions

GVGjr
16-08-2008, 08:53 AM
This is the discussion thread for this evenings game against the Lions outfit.

My confidence level is vastly improved from the last few weeks and I'm betting that we should have a solid win.
The Dogs by 34 points, Welsh for the first goal and Cooney for BOG honors.

We need to keep Brown and Brennan under control and make sure Black and Power just don't run rampant. I think we will see a lot harder edge to our game this week especially in the first half.

The Pie Man
16-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Dogs by 16, Welsh first goal. Aka BOG (if it was going to happen, tongiht's the night)

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Cooney to kick the first goal, Aker best on ground and Dogs by 22 points.

Mantis
16-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Dogs by 25pts.

We have been very flat in the first qtr over the past few weeks so I am hoping that we come out ready to play from the start this time around.

Really important that we start finding a bit of form and am hoping that our midfield starts to have more of an impact.

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Minson to kick the first goal.
Dogs by 23 points
BOG Boyd

I've got a good feeling!!

Happy Days
16-08-2008, 12:54 PM
We simply have to turn it around before it's too late, and I think tonights the night it must be done.

Dogs by 45,
Aker 1st goal,
Murph BOG

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Aker First Goal
Cooney BOG
Doggies by 26pts

hujsh
16-08-2008, 01:10 PM
In the past 2 weeks they've had 5 goal kickers.

Black may be carrying an injury and if Bradshaw plays he may not be fit.

Should be a comfortable win.

Johnno to kick the 1st (has said he's now fully fit)

Rocket Science
16-08-2008, 02:31 PM
For all the silver lining talk, simply haven't seen enough from our blokes over the past month to warrant any bankable confidence going into tonight's tilt...We could take another modest step towards regaining some much needed form, but we could just as easily mail in another flaky, half-baked performance.

Dogs by 9 points
Hahn with the first major
Murphy BOG

Max469
16-08-2008, 04:37 PM
A must win to regain some confidence.

Dogs by 18 points

Aker 1st goal

Morris BOG

BulldogBelle
16-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Dogs by 28 points.

Aker to get BOG at his old stomping ground.
Welsh to get the first goal.

ledge
16-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Good to see us not asleep in the first quarter, Aker doing ok, Gia is also going well, havent had our burst of 3-4 goals yet and up by a couple ,nearly half time.
How many times are we going to allow Brown and Bradshaw to be one out?

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Half time-

Coons actually seems ALIVE this week, good to see him around a bit. One horrid mistake which resulted in a goal for Bris, but I wont solely blame him for that.

Eagleton. er, well. He's not going too bad, for instance he tackled someone, and you know, thats some sort of defensive pressure, but I cant help panicking when he's got the ball!

Gia, happy with him in the first half.

Unrelated: Two tissues up the nostrils is a nice look ;)

G-Mo77
16-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Our disposal by foot has been woeful at times!

I'm really not overly impressed. There are time were they look like they are going to get a run on and break this one open but then seem to fall asleep. Maybe I'm under selling Brisbane?

Tackling has been good which I am very happy with.

ledge
16-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Question... why the %$#@ wont Eagleton run when he takes a mark with no one in cooee, i dont care if no one downfield, he bloody delivers it to the opposition anyway, might as well make it another forty metres down the ground cos he would run that far before anyone caught him.
Most frustrating footballer i ever saw.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Our disposal by foot has been woeful at times!

I'm really not overly impressed. There are time were they look like they are going to get a run on and break this one open but then seem to fall asleep. Maybe I'm under selling Brisbane?

Tackling has been good which I am very happy with.

I don't think you're underselling Brissy. No doubt they have watched our recent games, and have worked hard to not allow us to move the ball fluidly. However our poor disposals, and overall lack of running from guys upfield have played into Brissy's hands.

Overall yes, pressure skills have looked up, however I'm very disappointed with Hill's defensive efforts, and Farren Ray has made a couple of ordinary attempts off the ball in shepparding, resulting in our ball carrier coming under pressure.

We started off doing well at clearances, but as the game has gone on, Brissy has started winning their share of the ball from stoppages. We need to regain the ascendency there in the 2nd half to make sure we win.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Question... why the %$#@ wont Eagleton run when he takes a mark with no one in cooee, i dont care if no one downfield, he bloody delivers it to the opposition anyway, might as well make it another forty metres down the ground cos he would run that far before anyone caught him.
Most frustrating footballer i ever saw.

I think you're being harsh. I think Eagleton has done well tonight... long overdue as well.

I think it's an indictment on other teammates not working hard off the ball to give him options.

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Josh Hill,
Argh!!

Why Is He Playing?

ledge
16-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Why do we let the oppostion run the whole ground?
This is rubbish if our marking forward is Gia.

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Why did Bris just get 50? I missed what happened just before it. I saw Coons..?

ledge
16-08-2008, 10:00 PM
No forward line again, what is Eades idea with our forward line?

Dad1
16-08-2008, 10:02 PM
On tonights form I dont hold much hope for the finals .

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh god...
tonights form is not reassuring or convincing in any way whatsoever.

ledge
16-08-2008, 10:04 PM
We will get beaten unless we start running and backing ourselves, this is scared football we are playing, no confidence and scared to go to 50-50 contests

G-Mo77
16-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Why did Bris just get 50? I missed what happened just before it. I saw Coons..?

I think it was because of Cooney just laying on top of Black and not letting him up.

Momentum is with Brisbane now. They need to bang on a few early and break their backs. I still think we are playing much better just not using the ball like we should. Hopefully that improves in the 4th.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-08-2008, 10:09 PM
So much for using this game as a launch pad for regaining some form.
We're heading south fast, unless there is a big lift from this group in the last quarter.
Cooney is the about the only one who has been down of recent weeks who can say he's picked his game up.
Others though who have been consistent have now gone backwards. Cross and Boyd has been largely ineffective tonight.
Hill has been atrocious and needs a big bake from Rodney Eade for his lack of attack on the ball and the man. Hill only looks to be going 3 quarter speed when going into a contest.
His last effort in trying to break a tackle in our forward fifty was pathetic. My grannie would've corraled him based on that effort.

A theme that has been present in all of our games the last month, is that as the game has progressed the opposition have found loose men almost at will from the back half through the midfield. Is this telling us players are not working hard enough all over the ground??

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I think it was because of Cooney just laying on top of Black and not letting him up.

Momentum is with Brisbane now. They need to bang on a few early and break their backs. I still think we are playing much better just not using the ball like we should. Hopefully that improves in the 4th.

Abusive languge to the ump for tpaying the initial free.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Eagleton should be dropped and retired at seasons end. He doesn't work had enough, he's soft, has no defensive game and can't even kick properly now. He refuses to carry the ball and break the lines.

Getting increasingly frustrated with Ray too. His decision making is poor and he turns back into traffic EVERY time he gets the ball. He puts other team mates under pressure and really isn't offering us anything. There's quite a few that defend him on here, but I'm quickly losing patience - he hasn't improved since coming to the club in any of his deficiencies.

We're really struggling.

ledge
16-08-2008, 10:13 PM
We are gone, spent. f#$% s#$@ pathetic.

Dad1
16-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Whats gone wrong for us .At least now were back in front. GO

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 10:18 PM
My aunt just switched over. Rude ****, I was watching the game. She saw us losing, laughed, then switched over. And says;

"Oh its Grandads old team, the Lions. You should be supporting them. Oh its up there, haha, oh, they'd have a home ground advantage"

NO S** YOU STUPID WOMAN. Oh man, I hate my relatives. I think we can all agree she is senile.

Anyway, Luke Power just kicks a goal, hoorah. He screws up every other game, why would he do anything that helps out Brisbane in some way against us?
(Note: he usually might not be that bad, I am just reeeeally pissed).

Apologies for a ranting, unrelated post.

ledge
16-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Great move run us into the ground at break so we lose our games and lose all our confidence?

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 10:32 PM
I think that Hill's been quite good actually, but we have just been awful this quarter- the commentator's say that they know we'll come back..I'm not 100% convinced.

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 10:36 PM
OH MY GOD ADAM COONEY YOU WOULD BE AN ABSOLUTE SUPERSTAR IF U KICKED THAT GOAL

....but missed it.

Hill has taken some very important marks so def not the player to get on the back of...Farren Ray however has not been great

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Game over... and I'm fast losing my faith in this team to do anything this year.
Having teased us for the better part of the season, they've really let themselves down badly.
I understand we can't win every week, but there has been absolutely no honour in our losses in the past month.
I can handle it when we play to the best of the teams ability and lose to a better team on the day.. but I am sick of this sh1t we've been serving up. I just can't believe this is the same team that was so inspirational for the most of the season.

We seem to be a team that can only play when teams allow us to play the way we want to...... we just don't seem to be able to adapt and change our style effectively when things don't go our way.

Just when I think I can't feel any more deflated than I have over the past few weeks watching us play... they find a way to make it possible.

GetDimmaBack
16-08-2008, 10:47 PM
For all the silver lining talk, simply haven't seen enough from our blokes over the past month to warrant any bankable confidence going into tonight's tilt...We could take another modest step towards regaining some much needed form, but we could just as easily mail in another flaky, half-baked performance.Dogs by 9 points
Hahn with the first major
Murphy BOG

Yep...I'm probably the only one here who didn't upgrade my membership. Not too unhappy about that ATM.

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 10:49 PM
I think the worst part of this loss is that I'm not really surprised...I tipped us to win and thought that we would, but deep down I knew we were a massive chance to lose, given the way we've been playing. They have alarmingly low confidence considering how high we are on the ladder- do we need to be 1st on the ladder before they start believing in themselves? When teams challenge us we just give up, and I don't buy the 'they had more to play for than us' excuse, what more of a reason to win is there than to go into the finals with great momentum and confidence? We didn't get flogged, but our ability to not play 4 quarters is just really poor. With all due respect to Brisbane, they were out of the 8 (not sure now) and we are in the top 3, if we can't beat them, we are going to struggle in the finals.

I was really hoping we'd be 7/7 in interstate games, but oh well.

ledge
16-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Well if my mum doesnt get a game next week Rodney has got something to answer for, she should have played this week.
Think Rodney needs to fill in that hole in our forward line that our forwards keep hiding in because i have looked closely and i cant find it.

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Hill has taken some very important marks so def not the player to get on the back of...Farren Ray however has not been great

Well, still not keen on Hill (at all, admittedly), but you can say that, mister.

I stil dont think Faz is good enough. For fourth pick, he's really not lived up to expectations, and its gone on for years. Each year we look forward to him improving dramatically, after news of a "great preseason", but every year, we're still seeing the same thing, the same mistakes. Sure he's improved from when he first started, but much?

G-Mo77
16-08-2008, 10:54 PM
You see sides play in finals football and they have something that gets them over the line. We just don't have "It". I'm a pretty faithful and sometimes overly optimistic Bulldog supporter but after watching another uninspiring heartless effort tonight I really find it hard to see us winning a finals game at all. We are pitiful right now and the way we are playing we do not deserve to be in there!

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Still have a good away record

Aker & Cooney finding some form..Aker wasnt BRILLIANT but had a good 3rd qtr...

Cooney just dominated with most disposals, just like last time.

Reassurance is that away record and Higgins/West will come in handy..and brown didnt kick a bag..neither did bradshaw..

So theres a few positives out of it, but a pretty average second half

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-08-2008, 10:55 PM
OH MY GOD ADAM COONEY YOU WOULD BE AN ABSOLUTE SUPERSTAR IF U KICKED THAT GOAL

....but missed it.

I'm sorry but Hill's efforts late in the game exemplify what is wrong at the moment. Guys thinking they can just motor along at half pace and assume the job will get done... and then only jig into top gear when things get desperate....
If Hill and others only want to turn up and play half or a quarter of a game.. then they should play a full game.....at Willy.

I don't mean to single out Hill here, he has plenty of mate at the moment who are only performing in spurts as well.

I reckon a half fit Scott West would show more than some of the fellows out there tonight.

G-Mo77
16-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Not to mention these pricks cost me top spot in the tipping this week and the guy at 3rd spot chose Brisbane to win so probably cost me 2nd spot as well. That rubs extra salt in the wound!

1eyedog
16-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Well, still not keen on Hill (at all, admittedly), but you can say that, mister.

I stil dont think Faz is good enough. For fourth pick, he's really not lived up to expectations, and its gone on for years. Each year we look forward to him improving dramatically, after news of a "great preseason", but every year, we're still seeing the same thing, the same mistakes. Sure he's improved from when he first started, but much?

Had a bad leg problem leading up to the start of the year so pretty interrupted beginning for him, needs to come good soon.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-08-2008, 10:57 PM

Ray is ordinary - 4th pick? Laughable. What about that play where he marked the ball in the middle and AS per usual played on, run backwards, got caught and turned the ball over. This was at a crucial time too. He's useless; I generally try to remain positive about the club but I'm absolutely fed up of this crap.

Think we'd have some heart after copping it in the media the last few weeks. Think they'd want to start getting back to what they were playing earlier in the year. No, instead we play backward football with pathetic decision making & skills.

As usual, we show a little promise, then drive that hope right back into the ground - six feet under.

It's alright though, we'll be ready for Hawthorn :rolleyes:

The Coon Dog
16-08-2008, 10:58 PM

Did you really look closely at his game tonight?

What was his role?

He played on Travis Johnstone & kept him in check for most of the night. There were about 19 of them who played worse than Faz!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Not to mention these pricks cost me top spot in the tipping this week and the guy at 3rd spot chose Brisbane to win so probably cost me 2nd spot as well. That rubs extra salt in the wound!

Cheer up G-Mo you're still in exceptional shape in the WOOF dreamteam!!... I thought I was going alright... then I had a look at your's, Sockeyes' and Mantis' teams.... :eek::eek:

GetDimmaBack
16-08-2008, 11:02 PM
I reckon we're in trouble next week - Essendon, big game...and they've got 19 fit blokes going into the game.

It's gunna be tough...

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-08-2008, 11:10 PM

What was his role?

He played on Travis Johnstone & kept him in check for most of the night. There were about 19 of them who played worse than Faz!

THF. Could not be faulted in his defensive efforts did a superb job most of the night negating Johnstone influence.... however I'd like to see his error rates when he was working offensively with the ball. This is the part of his game that really causes me concern. We seem to have a few who when they're not playing at the supreme confidence level as we were in the first two thirds of the year, struggle using the ball.
I'm speaking of Cross, Boyd, Ray, Addison, and Hahn.
Morris is not a great user of the ball either- but makes up for it by playing within his limits and can usually dish it off to someone who can use it.

However Cross, Boyd, Addison, Ray and Hahn are often required to use the ball to set up or finish off passages.. and when they can't and we turn it over... we get burned.

I'm starting to come to the realisation that for a team that likes to play a risky attacking style we have too many poor users of the ball who play in positions that require precise skills.
Eade may need to make some tough calls on some of these guys. Guys who you cannot call into question their endeavour... but who have deficiencies that we can ill afford to carry.

LostDoggy
16-08-2008, 11:12 PM

What was his role?

I did look at his game. Didn't dissect it to pieces, but I got a look (except for the last quarter).

Yes, I agree, there was those who played worse than Faz, and i've mentioned Hill already, with which some agree with and some dont.

I'm just losing pateince. Not just with Faz, but the whole team!

hujsh
16-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Has been a bad month.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-08-2008, 11:18 PM

What was his role?

Johnstone is hardly a consistent, big possession getter. He's played a few good games but I wouldn't be calling him a 'serious' danger. If Ray was that good of a tagger, he would of been placed on Black or Power.

Ray constantly puts other team mates under pressure. He plays on all the time and as a result, runs into trouble. NEVER runs forward - always looking to retreat backwards. His disposal hasn't improved at all since coming to the club and he often misses tackles. Aside from being a good endurance runner, Ray does more harm to our side than good. IMHO anybody that's suggesting otherwise is holding onto false hope - for a #4 pick, let alone a top 30 pick, Ray's not doing enough.

Dogs 24/7
17-08-2008, 12:04 AM
I reckon we're in trouble next week - Essendon, big game...and they've got 19 fit blokes going into the game.

It's gunna be tough...

We should be able to bounce back next week against the undermanned Bombers but it might not be a convincing win.

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 12:12 AM
I was screaming at the TV when that incident with Ray happened.

I think he lacks awareness. Generally, he runs a few steps too many when he has the ball & gets caught.

It appeared that our disposal was the problem. We had enough of it to win comfortably but poor kicking let us down, both field kicking and shots at goal.

Another thing that irked me was that for periods of the 3rd we didnt have anyone inside 50. I couldnt understand why we didnt have Welsh down there leading out from the goalsquare.

Brisbane did well with applying pressure to us & not allowing us any time or space.

We still have the KPP issues that we had for the past 10 years.

It seemed we did show some desperation in the last 5 minutes that was lacking earlier on.

KT31
17-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Thought Ray was improving, then he had his regulation turnover.
Still there were worse players on the ground.
We are back to bombing the ball into our forward line.
Missed lots of chances tonight and thought we won in the centre.
What we could do with Brown in our forward line.
Eagle must read the forum as (Hurts me to say) was his best game for ages.
Positives with Aker having a solid third quarter,Cooney back to some form and still have West and Higgins to come.
How far is Williams ?

Mantis
17-08-2008, 12:29 AM
How far is Williams ?

Well from Footscray Williamstown is about 7km.

Not sure where Williams is?

If you mean when is Williams back, well I am pretty sure he will be back in rd 22. On the last month's performance's it might mean stuff all to have him back in the team.

G-Mo77
17-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Cheer up G-Mo you're still in exceptional shape in the WOOF dreamteam!!... I thought I was going alright... then I had a look at your's, Sockeyes' and Mantis' teams.... :eek::eek:

Well there is no money involved in that. ;)

Happy Days
17-08-2008, 01:15 AM
Im probably one of Farren's biggest fans, but he is starting to s*** me to absolute tears.

Any player who has "reborn in a run-with role" on their credentials list is not a good player.

I always held the belief that he could turn into the dominant, line-breaking midfielder he has shown glimpses of time and time again, but that flame is fading fast.

He cannot make a decision to save himself...litterally. I think he would have to think about accepting $1 million dollars. His disposal is average, and doesnt look like getting better.

Sure he might not have had a full pre-season, but this has been happening long before this year. I hope for his sake he turns it around, fast.

KT31
17-08-2008, 01:21 AM
[QUOTE=Mantis;51174]Well from Footscray Williamstown is about 7km.

If I meant Williamstown I would have said Willy.
Nobody calls Williamstown, Williams.

ledge
17-08-2008, 11:57 AM
One thing i noticed last night is we stopped running and breaking the lines, this sticks out like dogs thingys and when we start pissing around in the back half i know we have lost.

Scraggers
17-08-2008, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=Mantis;51174]Well from Footscray Williamstown is about 7km.

If I meant Williamstown I would have said Willy.
Nobody calls Williamstown, Williams.

There's a town called Williams about 180kms south of Perth ... does this help?:D

BulldogBelle
17-08-2008, 10:57 PM
What we need to do in the next two weeks...........
Run. Run. And run some more.
Make our tackles
Hit the opposition hard every time we tackle them
Run the lines
Apply pressure on the opposition’s ball carriers
Back ourselves
Have numbers at every contest
Do anything we can to get i.e. soccer, slap etc the ball forward relatively quickly so stop the opposition flooding our forward 50 limiting our options and forcing a long bomb to a small forward line like Welsh, Johnson, Harbrow etc
Fast movement within the forward 50 to find an option. Bombing it long to the square as we don’t have a big marking forward and our small players rarely kick crumbing goals.
Have confidence in our superior skills

Players
Get Higgins, West and Williams back into the side. Higgins this week. West/Williams the week after
Ward, Hill, Callan & Harbrow will all be on the chopping block
I don’t think we should be worrying about Skipper at this late stage. We have done well with the forward line we’ve got (less the last month). If Williams can get back into the side lets not worry about Everitt.
Play Aker forward again

Mantis
17-08-2008, 11:28 PM
What we need to do in the next two weeks...........
Run. Run. And run some more.
Make our tackles
Hit the opposition hard every time we tackle them
Run the lines
Apply pressure on the opposition’s ball carriers
Back ourselves
Have numbers at every contest
Do anything we can to get i.e. soccer, slap etc the ball forward relatively quickly so stop the opposition flooding our forward 50 limiting our options and forcing a long bomb to a small forward line like Welsh, Johnson, Harbrow etc
Fast movement within the forward 50 to find an option. Bombing it long to the square as we don’t have a big marking forward and our small players rarely kick crumbing goals.
Have confidence in our superior skills

Players
Get Higgins, West and Williams back into the side. Higgins this week. West/Williams the week after
Ward, Hill, Callan & Harbrow will all be on the chopping block
I don’t think we should be worrying about Skipper at this late stage. We have done well with the forward line we’ve got (less the last month). If Williams can get back into the side lets not worry about Everitt.
Play Aker forward again

Are they the player's who are making us perform poorly?

The Bulldogs Bite
17-08-2008, 11:49 PM

It's getting a little annoying hearing the blame be put on those players in particular. Hill & Ward are kids - we cannot expect them to 'lift' us off the ground. They might not be ready just yet, but both have made solid strides this year and look like being fine players in 2+ years time.

Callan needs to keep playing, he's only got a few games under his belt since coming back from injury and I would suspect he'll be cherry ripe come finals. Regardless, his job is to stop his man and assist our other defenders by being the third man up. Creating the play isn't on his description.

Harbrow has actually been one of the few players to give us something over the past 5 weeks. He was quiet on Saturday Night, but he's been playing some quality football. His intensity/pressure skills have been great, whilst he's also been making the most of his opportunities up forward. He's probably almost earned himself a position against The Hawks in a few weeks time. It's easy to forget this is only his second year - he's going to be a player.

As you have inadvertently alerted to Mantis, the blame doesn't rest with the above players, it's with the 'senior' group - Cooney, Griffen, Akermanis, Eagleton, Ray, Welsh, Minson, Hahn etc. etc.

BulldogBelle
17-08-2008, 11:52 PM

I could name another 10 of their mates who are also performing badly. Those four havent consolidated their positions and are going to be the likley candidates for Williamstown in the next week or two. The 'kids' (less Callan) will be the first to go.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Hill and Ward definetely will be shown up under finals pressure as they struggling at the moment. No blame on them for the team's problems its just they are young.

Mantis
18-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Hill and Ward definetely will be shown up under finals pressure as they struggling at the moment. No blame on them for the team's problems its just they are young.

So will the rest of the team on current form so why not play them. It would be great experience for them to see where they have to be and will hopefully spur them on to have big pre-season's.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 09:34 AM
So will the rest of the team on current form so why not play them. It would be great experience for them to see where they have to be and will hopefully spur them on to have big pre-season's.

I see you are angry man right now so I won't argue with you too much.

I have more faith in the experienced guys turning their form around than I do a 1st year senior player stepping up in finals.

Mantis
18-08-2008, 09:45 AM
I see you are angry man right now so I won't argue with you too much.

I have more faith in the experienced guys turning their form around than I do a 1st year senior player stepping up in finals.

I'm not angry.

For me Hill has to play, he adds something to our team. He has to work on his disposal and tackling, but he has the ability to find space and take a mark. Ward looks a bit out of place and probably could do with a rest, but will be better for the experience.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Gia was bagged or getting stats when the game was over, I think Hill did the same this week.

Getting experience in them is great but come finals time when can't afford to carry 2 younger style players that easily brushed off.

Side note someone please tell me who was on Dalziel?

Mantis
18-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Gia was bagged or getting stats when the game was over, I think Hill did the same this week.

That's crap.

Last week we were about 6 goals down at the 20min of the last qtr when Gia started to get a kick. It was a much different story this week in the last qtr as we were always within a couple of goals.

I thought Hill was ok in the last qtr, unlike Griffen, Cross, Johnson, Murphy, etc who couldn't get near the pill when we needed them to.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 10:34 AM
That's crap.

Last week we were about 6 goals down at the 20min of the last qtr when Gia started to get a kick. It was a much different story this week in the last qtr as we were always within a couple of goals.

Its not crap. Could be argued we were still in game against North as we got to 3 down with enough time and it could be argued we lost game against Brisbane in the first 3 quarters when Hill was no where to be seen.

You give Hill the benefit of the doubt over Gia since he is more experienced but its not the first week in the last 2 months that Hill hardly gets a touch.

Mantis
18-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Its not crap. Could be argued we were still in game against North as we got to 3 down with enough time and it could be argued we lost game against Brisbane in the first 3 quarters when Hill was no where to be seen.

You give Hill the benefit of the doubt over Gia since he is more experienced but its not the first week in the last 2 months that Hill hardly gets a touch.

This is not an arguement between Gia and Hill.

Where were our midfielder's in the last qtr? Besides Cooney and Hill who ran the game out ok the rest couldn't get a touch.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 10:45 AM
This is not an arguement between Gia and Hill.

Where were our midfielder's in the last qtr? Besides Cooney and Hill who ran the game out ok the rest couldn't get a touch.
Doesn't excuse Hill, rather players play 4 quarters, then 3 quarters, then 2, then 1 like Hill did.
Some of the midfield were alright for 50-75% of the game.

Mantis
18-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Doesn't excuse Hill, rather players play 4 quarters, then 3 quarters, then 2, then 1 like Hill did.
Some of the midfield were alright for 50-75% of the game.

What do you expect of Hill?

I think your expectations of him are far too high compared to a few of our supposed 'team leaders'.

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 12:51 PM
What do you expect of Hill?

I think your expectations of him are far too high compared to a few of our supposed 'team leaders'.

Would love him the same input into the game he had for the first 3 weeks. Thats expecting to much but at the very least I expect him to chase, tackle and get possessions which he didn't do for 3 quarters.

He has been yo-yoed for a while now between Williamstoiwn the seniors so I'm not the only one that thinks that.

strebla
18-08-2008, 01:07 PM
maybe Ernie they should put hill on a half forward flank and leave him there instead of on and off the bench and up and down from willy i am with mantis here.
On a different note ernie any idea why Stack was in the magoos he seemed to be tracking ok at willy

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 01:17 PM
maybe Ernie they should put hill on a half forward flank and leave him there instead of on and off the bench and up and down from willy i am with mantis here.
Don't see much difference in the way he would play HFF compared to wing. At he is a skinny guy who is suppose to have a great running capacity not a lead up HFF. He struggled tackling his opponent on the wing, the same would happen at HFF.

On a different note ernie any idea why Stack was in the magoos he seemed to be tracking ok at willy
No idea. I was surprised to see that too.

strebla
18-08-2008, 01:22 PM
he did take a contested mark in the last quarter and is a more than capable hit up player i just do not think at this stage of his career that he has the tank to play on a wing but with less running would be more suited to hff

LostDoggy
18-08-2008, 01:47 PM
he did take a contested mark in the last quarter and is a more than capable hit up player i just do not think at this stage of his career that he has the tank to play on a wing but with less running would be more suited to hff
So wait 3 quarters every week?
You are wrong about the tank. Its his strength as measured by the club.

strebla
18-08-2008, 01:55 PM
If i am wrong about his tank he needs to spennd more time on the ground and less on the pine or down at willy his ability to take a contested mark though at the moment inconsistently in underated and will get better with confidence and another preseason i agree he needs more consistncy but am not yet willing to hang him out to dry instead tell him to get out there and do the job that we all believe he is capable more consistently ove 4 quarters instead of one