PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else losing faith ?

Dogs 24/7
16-08-2008, 11:58 PM
I have copped the losses in relative silence but its getting increasingly harder to simply keep ignoring the form we are displaying. Some might regard it as part of the bigger plan but unless the likes of Higgins, West and Williams can make a huge difference to us we could be in for another howler of the last 8 weeks of the season.

Is anyone else starting to doubt our credibility ?

GVGjr
17-08-2008, 12:13 AM
I haven't lost faith but it is nowhere near as strong as it was 4 or 5 weeks ago.

Next weeks game is huge for us.

BulldogBelle
17-08-2008, 12:20 AM
I am always optimistic but can't help thinking of the way we finished last season. Perhaps, the position on the ladder & assured finals appearances has made some of our players a little complacent.

We will really need to dig deep next week against the Bombers who will be out to atone after their loss today.

G-Mo77
17-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Absoloutly! I don't care what anyone says. These games me not mean much because or spot is cemented but you don't see a team like Geelong rolling over and letting teams run all over them they play with pride and want to win every game regardless of what it means. Our team does not do that. It seems like they run around expecting it all to happen for them rather than working their ass off and tasking it! I almost bought into the whole extra training, fatigue excuses but it is all lip service. This team is in a bad way right now and from what I have seen recently we may as well finish outside of the 8 because no good is going to come out of these finals the way this team is playing!

Mantis
17-08-2008, 12:22 AM
I haven't lost faith but it is nowhere near as strong as it was 4 or 5 weeks ago.

Next weeks game is huge for us.

Why?

We play a team 12th on the ladder who have a large injury list. How is this game important?

MrMahatma
17-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Why?

We play a team 12th on the ladder who have a large injury list. How is this game important?
Cause it's a chance to bring Higgins back in, and then hopefully win...

Mantis
17-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Cause it's a chance to bring Higgins back in, and then hopefully win...

Yippee... Bring another front running 6 footer type into the team.

Scraggers
17-08-2008, 12:32 AM
I have copped the losses in relative silence but its getting increasingly harder to simply keep ignoring the form we are displaying. Some might regard it as part of the bigger plan but unless the likes of Higgins, West and Williams can make a huge difference to us we could be in for another howler of the last 8 weeks of the season.

Is anyone else starting to doubt our credibility ?

I was looking for something prophetic to say for my hundreth post ... don't know that this is; but here goes ...

NO !!!

Since our loss to Geelong I have been disgruntled, downhearted, dissappointed, dark and dejected with each and every game ... even with the wins because we have not played to our abilities

But every week, a couple of days before the game, I return to my dogged, determined, dazzling, diabolically devistating, dictatorial belief that we can beat anyone and everyone ...

Because I believe our D-day is coming ... I BELIEVE !!!!

G-Mo77
17-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Yippee... Bring another front running 6 footer type into the team.

And I thought I was really pissed off tonight :D

GVGjr
17-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Why?

The win won't do that much for the supporters but if we lost to the Bombers I think the heat would be turned right up on the players and club. The media would really have a field day with us.

Mantis
17-08-2008, 01:23 AM
The win won't do that much for the supporters but if we lost to the Bombers I think the heat would be turned right up on the players and club. The media would really have a field day with us.

Next week's game in the scheme of things will mean's stuff all. We will be and should judged on how we perform in the finals.

Yeah we suck at present, but if we perform in the final's this past month or so will all be forgotten.

And yeah the media will probably apply the blowtorch to us, but they have to fill there paper's with something.... Atleast we don't gas as much as Liesel Jones.

GVGjr
17-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Next week's game in the scheme of things will mean's stuff all. We will be and should judged on how we perform in the finals.

Yeah we suck at present, but if we perform in the final's this past month or so will all be forgotten.

And yeah the media will probably apply the blowtorch to us, but they have to fill there paper's with something.

I think we have been very fortunate that the media haven't had a real dip at us so far and it will be interesting to read the Sunday and Monday papers to see if the loss against the Lions rates that big of a focus. A win or loss against Essendon next week might mean bugger all in the grand plan but a loss is not something that will go down well with anybody associated with the club.

Mantis
17-08-2008, 01:30 AM
I think we have been very fortunate that the media haven't had a real dip at us so far and it will be interesting to read the Sunday and Monday papers to see if the loss against the Lions rates that big of a focus. A win or loss against Essendon next week might mean bugger all in the grand plan but a loss is not something that will go down well with anybody associated with the club.

The coach doesn't care... Said so himself... Last 4 games are just like the NAB Cup.

GVGjr
17-08-2008, 01:36 AM
The coach doesn't care... Said so himself... Last 4 games are just like the NAB Cup.

A coach that doesn't care about winning doesn't sit well with me regardless of the position on the ladder. I must make sure I ask him at the next East meets West day if it's worth the supporters showing up for the 2009 NAB cup.

Rocket Science
17-08-2008, 01:38 AM
Utterly tired of the avoidance we've been pedalling for five weeks now.

"For three quarters it was pretty good tonight," Eade said post-game...on the back of our fourth loss in five weeks.

We heard lines from the same unconvincing script in the wake of the losses versus Geelong, Carlton and North. Little public honesty about where and why we failed, and how we need to atone, just upbeat optimism about the few 'positives' at the bottom of the bucket chock-full of critical and obvious negatives.

Why won't the club call a freakin spade a spade regarding our performances instead of the softly, softly, the sky's not falling, everything's ok schtick?...Are we that fragile a playing group that we can't take home truths when they're warranted? Might be just what the bloody doctor ordered if you ask me.

And the same goes for the line that these late season games are almost meaningless, which the club first confessed, then retracted...real slick piece of PR that was...but I digress...you haven't heard any such statements, or witnessed a comparable backslide in form from the Hawks since they learned of their first-week September opponents.

We look like soft-willed bunnies who can't hold their nerve right now, and it hurts.

Stevo
17-08-2008, 01:40 AM
A coach that doesn't care about winning doesn't sit well with me regardless of the position on the ladder. I must make sure I ask him at the next East meets West day if it's worth the supporters showing up for the 2009 NAB cup.

Yes, it's not the greatest incentive for members to sign up early if the club is not focused on applying itself at the NAB cup. Eade's generally very calculating with what he says but I don't think that went over well with a lot of supporters.

Stevo
17-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Utterly tired of the avoidance we've been pedalling for five weeks now.

The hidden message seems to be that this is all part of the plan and that we are building to fully turn on the power come finals time. Hopefully all this is true, but the lack of passion about the losses isn't a great advertisement for the club.

Sure a win or two or three in the finals will erase all of that but a straight sets loss in the finals campaign could have a catastrophic impact on the memberships or our chance of signing a new major sponsor.

BulldogBelle
17-08-2008, 01:54 AM
I think we have been very fortunate that the media haven't had a real dip at us so far and it will be interesting to read the Sunday and Monday papers to see if the loss against the Lions rates that big of a focus.

Won't be just the papers they will can us it will be on all the footy tv programs and I can hardly wait to hear what Gerard, Walls & Sheehan have to say on "On the Couch" monday night. They will have a good crack at this week's loss. :rolleyes:

BulldogBelle
17-08-2008, 02:22 AM
The hidden message seems to be that this is all part of the plan and that we are building to fully turn on the power come finals time. Hopefully all this is true, but the lack of passion about the losses isn't a great advertisement for the club.

Sure a win or two or three in the finals will erase all of that but a straight sets loss in the finals campaign could have a catastrophic impact on the memberships or our chance of signing a new major sponsor.

I still cant see how we are going to magically turn things around in the next 3 weeks...

The training (overtraning/peaking for the finals) issue shouldnt be a problem now...

Our play around the stoppages was woeful tonight, as was our decision making, as was our movement in the forward 50m. Bombing into a forward 50 where your tallest player is Scott Welsh at 187cm's or so aint too brainy. Our forward set up looks far better when we have a tall marking option in the goal square. Wish C. Grant was there actually.

BulldogBelle
17-08-2008, 08:46 AM

This is so true.
If we go out in straight sets in the finals it is going to get tuff getting a sponsor.
l think there is 3?? teams looking for a new sponsor.

Just think how many ex-members who did not sign up this year will be sitting back saying 'l knew this was going to happen again, thats why l did not sign up' to all their mates.

We need to start performing or their could be a few players or coaches with some question marks over their head.

But there is always next week.:D

The Underdog
17-08-2008, 10:17 AM
I sat there watching Geelong last night in a game that meant nothing while listening to us and saw a team that just plays like every moment, every contest matters. All I've seen with us lately is a team giving largely half-hearted performances. Now whether they are saving themselves for the finals I don't know but what I do know is that a team like Geelong won't have gotten into soft, lazy habits when it matters. We may have. My faith isn't lost but my expectations are low, two and out, I'd reckon.

craigsahibee
17-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Re: Anyone else losing faith ?

Yes.

SonofScray
17-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Yes. I think failure at the pointy end this season is going to hurt the supporters much more than some of the horror stories of the past. Very upsetting to see the way its all heading, I am praying it is just a glitch in what is going to be a grand year for us... but I'm struggling to keep my optimism levels up.

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 11:43 AM
i'm happy i was too broke to fly up for the game!!

1eyedog
17-08-2008, 11:59 AM
We are either going to bow out in two straight finals or this is the greatest underdog ploy to catch Hawthorn and Geelong off guard that Rocket has ever conceived.

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 12:31 PM
After sleeping on it I feel a little more relaxed. I think I should stop myself getting on the computer during and directly after games!!

I don't feel relaxed in the sense that I think it's all going to turn around more so that I feel content to wait until the finals have been played to make my judgement on the team and Club. I find it strange that the Club hasn't hit the panic button yet?? I would have expected Rocket to publicly challenge his players to turn things around? They also don't seem too concerned about how the members are perceiving this current period??

I'm really proud of the team's efforts to wrap up a top 3 finish but I'll feel dissapointed if it ends poorly. All we have now is hope and a miniscule amount of remaining faith.

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 12:46 PM
How do you lose faith in a club thats won one premiership well before I was born?
If I was ever to lose it would have been in the darkest days of years like 82, 89, 96, 04, etc.

Mantis
17-08-2008, 01:01 PM
How do you lose faith in a club thats won one premiership well before I was born?
If I was ever to lose it would have been in the darkest days of years like 82, 89, 96, 04, etc.

Because they built up our hopes this year and now we get to enjoy our hopes go by the wayside..... Yet again

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Because they built up our hopes this year and now we get to enjoy our hopes go by the wayside..... Yet again
Yes but as a bulldog fan you never lose hope of that one day.

bulldog
17-08-2008, 01:41 PM
hey lets allget a bit more positive sure im gutted with they way we are going at the moment but just remeber it is all about sep 5 vs hawthorn friday night 1st final that is what matters and what we will be judged on and i for one am very confident of beating the hawks remeber footy is a game where it only takes 15min or a quarter and form comes back so come on doggies lets stick it upeveryone

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 02:42 PM
I notice The Age today is referring to us as a team of flirts - I kind of agree.

1eyedog
17-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Yes but as a bulldog fan you never lose hope of that one day.

exactly, but I must say I stopped being disappointed well before 04

Ipaidmy200in89
17-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I think we will struggle to regain our form in time to do too much in the finals. Very sad performance over the last 5 weeks.

Chicago1
17-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I really haven't lost faith, but I'm no longer a true believer. I have to admit that I'm now glad I didn't book a trip to Melbourne for the PF and GF. Up until last night I thought for sure we'd be in a PF, but not now. I'd hate to travel so far and spend so much money and not be able to see the Doggies play. The air fare went down to a little over $1400 and I almost booked last week. Something told me not to. I sure hope we do make a PF and then the GF, but it really doesn't seem to me that 'the day is getting closer when the Dogs rise up in the West' will be next month. I sure hope I'm wrong for the faithful Bulldogs supporters who have stuck with the Doggies, some for a lifetime. I'll be there, however, for Round 1 2009 the way it looks now and hopefully back in late September 2009.

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm always Optimistic and like to think that the glass is half full. However years of following this club have not dented my Optimism but have made me a Realist. Many of us believe at the start of another year that this is our year, the year we can, as do I (mostly in hope) but these days I take my Rose Coloured glasses off so I can see the true reality of the situation.

As much as I get frustrated, disappointed and disenchanted (at times), it's all about Loyalty and being a bulldog (tenacious, tough & uncompromising) I really wouldn't have it any other way. Go Doggies

ps:what about a new slogan, WB - Tenacious,Tough,Together.

mjp
17-08-2008, 04:44 PM
And the Hawks just got comfortably beaten by the Tigers...and they have now won only 6 of their past 11. It isn't just our guys who are showing some worrying signs.

Geelong might lose one game - they wont lose two. To me the most important thing about where things are at right now is staying away from the Cats in week one of the finals...a win next week will pretty much assure us of that.

The Pie Man
17-08-2008, 06:10 PM
And the Hawks just got comfortably beaten by the Tigers...and they have now won only 6 of their past 11. It isn't just our guys who are showing some worrying signs.

Geelong might lose one game - they wont lose two. To me the most important thing about where things are at right now is staying away from the Cats in week one of the finals...a win next week will pretty much assure us of that.

Agreed - best chance anyone has to beat Geelong would be on a nervous GF day.

Third's basically sewn up - North's % is so low that Sydney were the only real contender to take it off us, and even that's now mathematically impossible. Still want a win next week.

I can't see us beating Hawthorn week one on current form - I reckon a prelim loss to Geelong is on the cards (though the Cats could do an Essendon of 99 and choke)

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 06:30 PM
I can't see us beating Hawthorn week one on current form - I reckon a prelim loss to Geelong is on the cards (though the Cats could do an Essendon of 99 and choke)
We don't play them currently either.

BulldogBelle
18-08-2008, 10:56 PM
I refuse to believe that a team that plays like that in these past 5 games is going anywhere in the finals, but we're still there so let's just pretend for a while:
1 - Aker was our leading goalkicker at the season halfway, hasn't kicked one in the last 5 games. A ploy. Will come out in the finals and knock them stupid.
2 - Murphy our number 2 goalkicker at the halfway, has kicked 4 in the past 5 games. He's much better than that. Just foxing.
3 - Johnno and Gia were both carrying injuries earlier this year and are starting to hit their straps with better scoring rates in the past 5 games than they had in the first half of the season, Johnno averaging 3 goals per game for the past 5. Having Aker on the backline is giving them some training where it's needed.
4 - That leaves Hahn and Welsh to provide the backup. I think Mitch is coming good at the right end of the season. Scott Welsh has kicked a total of 2 goals in 4 of the past 5 games and could end up holding the key.
5 - The centres and backs are holding up OK (would be better with Williams). If the 6 guys above can provide the conversions, we're back in business.

Agree with what your saying. But we need to consolidate our structure, and get some rhythm before the finals. Talking about Aker/Murph especially kicking some goals NOW.

FrediKanoute
19-08-2008, 12:15 AM

And yeah the media will probably apply the blowtorch to us, but they have to fill there paper's with something.... Atleast we don't gas as much as Liesel Jones.

I think it may mean nothing from a positional perspective on the ladder, but it means plenty about showing where the guys are at. I think the team needs to show something this week and take some good form into the finals.

Sedat
19-08-2008, 11:40 AM
I haven't lost faith. Looking at the 5 match run in more detail, the Sydney match was identified as a real focus for us and we got the job done, despite giving Sydney a 4 goal start. I was impressed by our first half against Geelong, particularly our ability to pressure them into missing targets - the key will be to match that pressure for 120 minutes instead of 60 if we get them again. I liked the way we matched a hardened North midfield in contested possessions and clearances and started picking apart their midfield cluster as the match wore on, awful start notwithstanding (their recent formline suggests this was a much better performance than it appeared on the day). Against Carlton, we were quite clinical with our finishing but completely ran out of legs - our most disappointing effort during the run IMO as we were hammered at the stoppages even when we were 6 goals in front. Didn't see the Brisbane game, but from all accounts we should have been several goals up at half time with the dominance of general play.

Geelong will have another poor game before the season is out. Hopefully we are the opponent that can take advantage of this on the day and hopefully it will be in the Grand Final. You can't stop believing.

G-Mo77
19-08-2008, 11:47 AM
As the week goes on and I settle down a bit after the loss on Saturday night my faith is starting to slowly creep back. A win over Adelaide at AAMI would be a nice notch in the belt before the finals. I think we'll get over Essendon quite easily too.

aker39
19-08-2008, 11:59 AM
I think we'll get over Essendon quite easily too.

We'd want to.

I have not hit the panic button yet, but if we lose to Essendon, a team playing without Hille, Lucas, McVeigh, Flectcher, just to name a few, then the shit will hit the fan.

The Coon Dog
19-08-2008, 12:05 PM
We'd want to.

I have not hit the panic button yet, but if we lose to Essendon, a team playing without Hille, Lucas, McVeigh, Flectcher, just to name a few, then the shit will hit the fan.

Why? Who from?

It's not going to mean we move from2/3 on the ladder.

The Pie Man
19-08-2008, 12:06 PM
We'd want to.

My wife goes for Essendon, I've offered to go out for dinner and get reserved seats for the game and drive us home - this all to prevent any potential drunken outbursts should we not perform - I was the angriest I've been in quite some time come final siren on Saturday night, so I'm watching us sober for a little while.....

aker39
19-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Why? Who from?

It's not going to mean we move from2/3 on the ladder.

Why - because it will mean that we have lost any semblance of respectabilty that we have acheived this year. I have been one to say that what happens in the last 4 weeks of the season is irrelavant, it's what happens in the finals that will count. But if we cannot beat a very undermanned Essendon, than I think we have some serious problems.

Who from - Every bulldog supporter who until now has remained calm, looking for a return to form that had the whole football world talking about how exciting it was to watch the bulldogs.

I know the result will have no effect on where we finish on the ladder, but we can not afford to go in to a finals series losing 6 or 7 of our last 8 games. The turnaround must start this week.

bornadog
19-08-2008, 12:19 PM
I know the result will have no effect on where we finish on the ladder, but we can not afford to go in to a finals series losing 6 or 7 of our last 8 games. The turnaround must start this week.

Let alone what losing does to the confidence of players. All sorts of self doubt will start to creep into their heads, which I believe have already.

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 01:05 PM
I have lost the faith. 2 years in a row we have finished off the season miserably. 22 rounds just seems to much for them. Very disappointed. The fact that we will finish 2nd or 3rd is irrelevant. If we continue playing like we are it's a straight sets exit out of the finals.

The Coon Dog
19-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Funny, I still have enormous faith.

I think we'll be right up for the Hawthorn clash, couldn't really care one way or the other to be honest before then.

We could lose to Essendon & Adelaide, but as long as we beat Hawthorn I won't mind one little bit.

Might put me in the minority, but I've never known teeth gnashing supporters to win a game of AFL football.

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Let alone what losing does to the confidence of players. All sorts of self doubt will start to creep into their heads, which I believe have already.

A few niggly doubts but nothing major and they are being addressed. they all know where it is at and what they have to do.

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 01:43 PM

I think we'll be right up for the Hawthorn clash, couldn't really care one way or the other to be honest before then.

We could lose to Essendon & Adelaide, but as long as we beat Hawthorn I won't mind one little bit.

Might put me in the minority, but I've never known teeth gnashing supporters to win a game of AFL football.

Barry, love your optimisim, hopefully it happens.

It only takes 1 win to wipe out the memory of poor form, if that win is against Hawthorn all the loses will be forgotten.

Honestly, I think with Essendons injuries that we should smack them on Friday and hopefully sharpen up for the finals with a good physical battle against the crows.

Mantis
19-08-2008, 01:57 PM

And if we don't?

My thinking is pretty much the same as your's. While I hate watching us lose I am confident that Rocket know's what he is doing and if he tells me we are concentrating on the first final, then that's what we are doing.

The Coon Dog
19-08-2008, 02:18 PM
And if we don't?

Would be the same if we had won 8 in a row by 100 points leading into the game.

bornadog
19-08-2008, 03:09 PM
A few niggly doubts but nothing major and they are being addressed. they all know where it is at and what they have to do.

Good to hear Charmdog;), but if we lose this week, then I will be losing faith. Is the niggly doubt from one white haired goatee bearded one? (not his own ability mind you)

strebla
19-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Finals this year is all about getting experience as long as we win at least one i am happy.more looking forward to Bouman and Grant having a summer on the weights for a big crack next year

Dry Rot
19-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I have lost the faith. 2 years in a row we have finished off the season miserably. 22 rounds just seems to much for them. Very disappointed. The fact that we will finish 2nd or 3rd is irrelevant. If we continue playing like we are it's a straight sets exit out of the finals.

Agreed. If we don't really turn it around across the park in the next couple of games we're buggered for the finals. I can't think of a sport where a team has played badly for close to two months, and then magically turns it on for a final.

How is draft pick 11 or 12 looking?

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 06:33 PM
And if we don't?

My thinking is pretty much the same as your's. While I hate watching us lose I am confident that Rocket know's what he is doing and if he tells me we are concentrating on the first final, then that's what we are doing.

Not sure that I share the confidence, but hopefully Rocket's been watching 'When We Were Kings'. George Foreman vs Muhammad Ali, Zaire 1974, the Rumble in the Jungle. Foreman was a wrecking machine, Ali was a dancer. Nobody gave Ali a chance, and he spent the first rounds absorbing one crashing blow after another, then, when the moment ws right- BLAM! Down went George, only ever to re-surface years later as sponsor of the lean mean grilling machine.

The Dogs are just doing the rope a dope.