PDA

View Full Version : After a turnover

Mantis
17-08-2008, 05:21 PM
What's our game plan when we turn the ball over?

To me it seems we try to implement a 'rolling zone' meaning our players guard space rather than an opponent. I don't think it works often enough. When all our players on the same wavelength with there defensive intensity we are able to force turnovers. I have only seen this happen twice for an entire game this year, against Hawthorn in Tassie and against Brisbane at the MCG.

On too mnay occassions I see guys like Griffen, Cooney, Boyd, Cross... Ok our entire midfield group either standing still or not working hard enough on the defensive parts of there game. Playing this style means that our players really aren't responsible for a man so it gets quite frustrating for us supporter's in trying to work out who is supposed to be picking up who. It's like they are happy enough to jog along guard a bit of space and wait for a turnover to occur such that these player's will be free and can try and be an option when we are attacking.

With our backline down on form and number's these turnovers aren't occuring as readily as they were earler in the season and we are getting hurt on the scoreboard.

Do other's feel as frustrated as I do watching us play this style or is this just the way modern footy is played?

1eyedog
17-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I think it is part of the modern game, most teams do it I have noticed, guard space that is. An opposition player can at times run right past one of our players without him even knowing it. Geelong attacks the man more often than any other team and Collingwood did the night they beat Geelong. You are right in saying that we had good defensive intensity during the Hawthorn and Brisbane games and we also had it after quarter time the first time we beat St.Kilda earlier this season.

Players these days either guard space or a direct opponent and they are loathe to leave that opponent even to tackle or put defensive pressure on a ball carrier who is a 5 metres away. I realise by leaving your man that you risk him getting the ball but I must say if there is no pressure on the ball carrier there will not be a turn over anyway unless there is a skill error. I wish we would leave our direct man more often and attack the man carrying the ball rather than guard the space you talk about, by doing this surely it is another opportunity for us to force a turn over either directly or through poor disposal. ATM the game appears to be like keepings off.

hujsh
17-08-2008, 10:14 PM
I think it is part of the modern game, most teams do it I have noticed, guard space that is. An opposition player can at times run right past one of our players without him even knowing it. Geelong attacks the man more often than any other team and Collingwood did the night they beat Geelong. You are right in saying that we had good defensive intensity during the Hawthorn and Brisbane games and we also had it after quarter time the first time we beat St.Kilda earlier this season.

Players these days either guard space or a direct opponent and they are loathe to leave that opponent even to tackle or put defensive pressure on a ball carrier who is a 5 metres away. I realise by leaving your man that you risk him getting the ball but I must say if there is no pressure on the ball carrier there will not be a turn over anyway unless there is a skill error. I wish we would leave our direct man more often and attack the man carrying the ball rather than guard the space you talk about, by doing this surely it is another opportunity for us to force a turn over either directly or through poor disposal. ATM the game appears to be like keepings off.

I thought we did this vs Essendon and they used it to release Lovett, Davey ect running towards 50 with people only behind them.

1eyedog
17-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Cannot comment as I did not see this game I was interstate and I'm not sure what you mean by people behind them. I would suggest there are a million contingencies that would see Lovett and Davey free as very few players can go with them at any rate, quick ball movement would be one.

hujsh
17-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Cannot comment as I did not see this game I was interstate and I'm not sure what you mean by people behind them. I would suggest there are a million contingencies that would see Lovett and Davey free as very few players can go with them at any rate, quick ball movement would be one.

Our players were between the Don with the ball and the forward 50 (ours) with only defenders ahead of the Bommer.