PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetically, if West did retire, who deserves #7

bulldogtragic
26-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Last year we agonised over who should get #3.

#7 is the second biggest number and massive honour. Does someone like Ward or Higgins deserve it, or should it be rested.

All hypothetical of course.

For me, give it to Ward.

ledge
26-08-2008, 12:39 AM
I think Ward for number 7 and Grant for 31, would love to have seen Grant get number 3, the tradition begins! but with Everitt getting it lets put Granty in the great KTs number.
Be interesting to see if Ayce wants 49 not that he will get any opposition.

strebla
26-08-2008, 12:41 AM
I believe we were a little quick with number 3 and would hope the number 7 is put away for at least one season that said Cooney and Griffen get first crack

Sedat
26-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Higgins needs to get away from the cursed #19. Give him #7.

1eyedog
26-08-2008, 01:42 AM
Griffen

The Coon Dog
26-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Cooney.

Scorlibo
26-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Ward for #7, Cordy for #14

The Pie Man
26-08-2008, 09:47 AM
What about Harbrow? Cooney, Griff, Ward & Higgins all have numbers in the teens which I think would be fair to stay at (Ward particularly should be happy with Darcy's old number)

Left footer with a long future at the club

craigsahibee
26-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Callan Ward for #7. A nice piece of symmetry there as Westy started off with #14.

The Coon Dog
26-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Callan Ward for #7. A nice piece of symmetry there as Westy started off with #14.

Didn't Westy wear #43 early on & then after a few games in his debut season moved to #14? Just seems to ring a bell.

Mantis
26-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Didn't Westy wear #43 early on & then after a few games in his debut season moved to #14? Just seems to ring a bell.

Your super dooper s/s doesn't have this info on it?

LostDoggy
26-08-2008, 11:10 AM
I nominate Dylan Addison

Westy is a hard competitor and tough as nails, and i see that in Dylan

Rocket Science
26-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Ward looks a goer, but nobody deserves the #7 yet...Give it a year and see if someone genuinely earns it. Such honours should follow things one has done, not precede things we hope one does.

On that note, is it within the leadership group's remit to force Everitt back to #29? ;)

The Coon Dog
26-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Your super dooper s/s doesn't have this info on it?

Not when a change occurs mid season.

GetDimmaBack
26-08-2008, 11:48 AM
I reckon Scotty West deserves it - after all, he hasn't retired yet!

That said, when he retires Cooney should get it. I'd love to get the stigma of Nathan Brown off his back!

Rocket Science
26-08-2008, 12:06 PM
now there's an idea...from here on in reserve the #17 guernsey for every wanker / trouble-maker / ne'er-do-well we recruit.

Ozza
26-08-2008, 12:11 PM
If Cooney wants to change - then 7 is for him.
Otherwise...definitely Callan Ward.

7 belongs to gun midfielders.

Topdog
26-08-2008, 12:33 PM
I reckon Scotty West deserves it - after all, he hasn't retired yet!

That said, when he retires Cooney should get it. I'd love to get the stigma of Nathan Brown off his back!

Got a feeling thats why they wrote "Hypothetically, if West did retire".

Cooney is making the number his own, should keep it.

Higgins to #7 IF West retires.

Scraggers
26-08-2008, 01:00 PM
I agree ... Cooney and Griffen get first shot, then (Missy) Higgins

bulldogtragic
26-08-2008, 01:35 PM
What about Josh Hill?

Do members think he is good enough to have the honour of #7?

1eyedog
26-08-2008, 01:58 PM
If Cooney wants to change - then 7 is for him.
Otherwise...definitely Callan Ward.

7 belongs to gun midfielders.

But he hasn't done anything! But neither had Everitt I suppose. Griffen moves like Doug sometimes he should have first crack I would of course be happy to see it on the back of one A Cooooooons

LostDoggy
26-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Ward looks a goer, but nobody deserves the #7 yet...Give it a year and see if someone genuinely earns it. Such honours should follow things one has done, not precede things we hope one does.

On that note, is it within the leadership group's remit to force Everitt back to #29? ;)

Agree. Hang it up for a year or 2. We were very hasty in giving Everitt the number 3. Definately not doing the great number justice!

Bulldogs_6
26-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Cal Ward or Shaun Higgins for mine. I would think that 16 and 17 suit Griffen and Cooney respectively.

craigsahibee
26-08-2008, 02:15 PM

I'm pretty sure he wore 14 early in '93 when he kicked 6 against the Bombres at Whitten Oval. Was '93 his first year on the list?

LostDoggy
26-08-2008, 03:37 PM
What about Josh Hill?

Do members think he is good enough to have the honour of #7?

No. I can think of a few people i'd put before him.
I think rest the number for a year or two, because dishing out the number 3 was hasty!

LostDoggy
26-08-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm with Coon Dog on Westy wearing No. 43.

As for who I think "one day" should get No. 7 I think Ward.

LostDoggy
26-08-2008, 11:04 PM
For me there is only one player who should inherit the famous #7, a player who is totally committed to his fitness, is fully focussed on his body and his game and who legends says spent one birthday putting ice on his leg getting ready for the next game. A player who racks up the stats each week in handballs, and is a good in and under player - the pupil has become the master - Daniel Cross.

Sockeye Salmon
27-08-2008, 12:42 AM
For me there is only one player who should inherit the famous #7, a player who is totally committed to his fitness, is fully focussed on his body and his game and who legends says spent one birthday putting ice on his leg getting ready for the next game. A player who racks up the stats each week in handballs, and is a good in and under player - the pupil has become the master - Daniel Cross.

Actually, that was his girlfriends birthday.

Bulldog Revolution
27-08-2008, 09:12 AM
I wonder if Sedat isn't right that Higgins needs to get away from the cursed #19

But I also like Craigsahibee's suggestion of Ward having done the

But maybe Harbrow is a deserving candidate also,

or do we promote OKeefe, who has perhaps the most physical likeness, left footed midfielder?

Would Dale Morris consider a move?

strebla
27-08-2008, 11:57 AM
I am shifting a little here i still think Coons or Griff would fit but as i love noistalgia i like the idea of a western suburbs boy getting it. Westy next year then after the season give it to Ward keep the number for special local talent

ledge
27-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I love the thought, keep number 6 for a local boy, at least its some sort of local connection with players.
Westy was an Essendon boy though and always wanted to go to the bombers.
Number 6 i think, bulldog born and bred for Wardy.

GetDimmaBack
27-08-2008, 12:55 PM
I love the thought, keep number 6 for a local boy, at least its some sort of local connection with players.
Westy was an Essendon boy though and always wanted to go to the bombers.
Number 6 i think, bulldog born and bred for Wardy.

I think Ward was also a Bombers supporter growing up.

ledge
27-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Well he doesnt get number 6 then. f%#k him.

bornadog
27-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Harbrow needs a lower number.

The Coon Dog
27-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Harbrow needs a lower number.

23??

mjp
27-08-2008, 03:52 PM
I wish players would just play in the number they are originally allocated forever...Ward CHOSE 14 this past off-season. There were a number of available numbers for the incoming draft class, he chose 14...that is where he should stay.

I hated the way Everitt was given 3 last year...the corpse wasn't even cold.

I am with Sedat though. 19 should be PERMANENTLY retired at our footy club. Burn the thing in the middle of the oval in some kind of public ceremony - who would object to that?

The Pie Man
27-08-2008, 03:52 PM
23??

left footed jinx....oh that's probably not fair, Jordy had a few good years with us

Anyone hear this Richmond supporter on MMM after they beat Freo last weekend ranting 'I don't know why they persist in playing McMahon, he's gutless'

This was after they won mind you

And I completely agree with Jaz getting a lower number, and 7's not out of the question.

craigsahibee
27-08-2008, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=mjp;52848]I wish players would just play in the number they are originally allocated forever...QUOTE]

This would have saved miles and miles of cotton back in the 80's when Mum's all over the world had to change the numbers on duffle coats when players swapped numbers.

LostDoggy
27-08-2008, 06:00 PM
i like the way Chris Grant handed the number three on to his chosen player....that has the nice ring of a new tradition, let Westy decide who gets his jumper!!!

LostDoggy
27-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Does it have to be a mid? What about Dale "The Glove" Morris?

GVGjr
27-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I wish players would just play in the number they are originally allocated forever...Ward CHOSE 14 this past off-season. There were a number of available numbers for the incoming draft class, he chose 14...that is where he should stay.

I hated the way Everitt was given 3 last year...the corpse wasn't even cold.

I have stated several times that the jumper of any player who has reach 300 games for us should be retired for a season. I wasn't that impressed with Everitt being handed the number 3 either.

strebla
27-08-2008, 09:38 PM
bit rough on Westy i think ledge yes he was a bomber going back but is as pure bred a bulldog as A have seen agree number 6 alsoi has strong western ties though i think number 7 being a 2 time 300 jumper along with number 3 has that something else

hujsh
28-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Would be a bit of a slap to Darce if he's jumper was handed back for West's

He was a club captain remember

Pembleton
29-08-2008, 02:01 PM
I love what they did with the number 3. Throw it to a promising kid, and move on, although I'm not closed to the idea of giving 'special' numbers to more established players, if they request it.

I think some people have it backwards. Our 'special' numbers aren't a means of honouring our former players. It is all about the next guy who wears it. 'Here kid, we expect big things from you, good luck.' That the kid doesn't always turn out to be successfull is a part of what makes it romantic.

I think talk of short term 'retirement' of a number is nonsense. If you want to retire a number, and hang it from the rafters, American style, i could see some merit in it, but that does not suit the circumstances and traditions of Australian Football, and a short term retirement does not have any of the attractive characteristics of the American example.

I think allowing a player to play a role in a kind of ceremonial handing over of their number does a lot more to honour them than merely not having that number on the field for a season. The latter can only be a way to honour them if you assume that merely having someone else wearing the number dishonours them (which is absurd given our traditions), and even if you do assume that, the same has to apply in future years anyway, so its still pretty pointless without the element of permanency.

phroosh
29-08-2008, 09:12 PM
I love what they did with the number 3. Throw it to a promising kid, and move on, although I'm not closed to the idea of giving 'special' numbers to more established players, if they request it.

I think some people have it backwards. Our 'special' numbers aren't a means of honouring our former players. It is all about the next guy who wears it. 'Here kid, we expect big things from you, good luck.' That the kid doesn't always turn out to be successfull is a part of what makes it romantic.

I think talk of short term 'retirement' of a number is nonsense. If you want to retire a number, and hang it from the rafters, American style, i could see some merit in it, but that does not suit the circumstances and traditions of Australian Football, and a short term retirement does not have any of the attractive characteristics of the American example.

I think allowing a player to play a role in a kind of ceremonial handing over of their number does a lot more to honour them than merely not having that number on the field for a season. The latter can only be a way to honour them if you assume that merely having someone else wearing the number dishonours them (which is absurd given our traditions), and even if you do assume that, the same has to apply in future years anyway, so its still pretty pointless without the element of permanency.

More or less spot on. Ben Hart chose to "retire" his number and my overriding feeling was "w@nker".

Just for the sake of argument, my vote is for Addison.

LostDoggy
29-08-2008, 10:11 PM
I agree with Pembleton, the notion that a number should be 'retired' because nobody is worthy just sounds pretty arrogant to me, and I doubt that Westy would want that. I think someone like Addison would be good, I think Cooney and Griffen should make a name for themselves in their own number. These numbers are really important to the club, I just think that leaving them out is a waste, and gives the young players little to aspire to in that respect.

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Apart from Mark Kellet who were the worst players to wear 3 or 7 at our club?

strebla
01-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Adrian Cambell i think wore number 3 in the late eighties terrible call

remster
01-09-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm pretty sure he wore 14 early in '93 when he kicked 6 against the Bombres at Whitten Oval. Was '93 his first year on the list?

To right, kicked six gainst Essendon wearing 14 in his fourth game for us. Got the three votes as well if I recall

remster
01-09-2008, 09:26 PM
My very first jumper as a kid had 7 after Ray Huppatz thought he was a gun when I was 8 or 9.

becmatty
02-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Peter Street. He moves like Dougie used to, is under ever pack like Westy, and is the obvious choice for me really...

The Coon Dog
23-09-2008, 06:45 PM
I guess this now becomes a real decision.

FrediKanoute
23-09-2008, 07:16 PM
I guess this now becomes a real decision.

Yep, personally, I'd give the jumper to Higgo/Hill/Ward.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Yep, personally, I'd give the jumper to Higgo/Hill/Ward.
West said on the record earlier this year Ward will be a 200+ game player for us.

Ward to number 7 i'd be happy with.

hujsh
23-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Leave it another year.

The Pie Man
23-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Harbrow - especially after his spark on Friday night.

western cookie
23-09-2008, 09:39 PM
I like the idea of Ward, a future captain and 250 game player.