PDA

View Full Version : The Stats show why we beat Hawthorn in Round 10

bornadog
27-08-2008, 12:09 AM
We didn't beat Hawthorn due to Williams on Buddy, we beat Hawthorn through midfield pressure. Here are the statistics.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/stats.jpg

If we stop the feed to Buddy, it won't matter who plays on him and there is no reason why we can't repeat the above.

So lets get over the buddy factor and concentrate on the midfield.

Mantis
27-08-2008, 09:33 AM
If we stop the feed to Buddy, it won't matter who plays on him and there is no reason why we can't repeat the above.

So lets get over the buddy factor and concentrate on the midfield.

We did a great job at harrassing Mitchell when he had the ball and denied him the opportunity to feed the ball out to the Hawthorn runner's.

Farren Ray did a great job on Bateman who is the best ball carrier in the midfield.

The pressure that our forward's, especially Akermanis applied to the Hawthorn defence was great. The Hawthorn defender's cracked with the pressure applied to them meaning that their disposal was quite sloppy which created turnover's.

ledge
27-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Problem could be we arent playing anywhere as near as good as we were then.

Go_Dogs
27-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Don't know where these stats are from, they seem a little odd...Only 60 contested possessions for the game?

I reviewed the Champion stats the other day, we smashed them 113 - 100 in contested possessions, clearances and tackles. Midfield was definitely where the game was won.

The thing to remember is, that the Hawks were without one of their best mids that day in Hodge, I'd expect Sewell to take a more defensive role this time around, and Hodge to really have a big impact around the stoppages.

The individual players who really got us over the line that day were Cooney, Aker and Gia...all played blinders in the midfield and worked very hard offensively and defensively. We'll need a big repeat of their efforts to get over the Hawks again.

bornadog
27-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Don't know where these stats are from, they seem a little odd...Only 60 contested possessions for the game? .

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/game_stats?mid=2008075

Raw Toast
27-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Stuart Dew is another key player who was out for them. We really stifled their run out of defence. They kept on trying to bring the ball back into the corridor and we kept on picking it off. They needed someone who could kick it over the lines with accuracy, and didn't have it on the day.

Be interesting to see what Eade does if Dew is fit for this game. His kicking is a great weapon for them, but Eade was very clever at getting the match-ups he wanted for our forwards, and Dew has no clear forward to take if he lines up in defence.

craigsahibee
27-08-2008, 04:40 PM
I remember discussing the game with my cousin at the TRC Hotel in Launceston that night and we both could not remember a game where all of our players were as hard as they were that day. If we match that effort in a couple of weeks we can beat them again.

bornadog
27-08-2008, 04:48 PM
I remember discussing the game with my cousin at the TRC Hotel in Launceston that night and we both could not remember a game where all of our players were as hard as they were that day. If we match that effort in a couple of weeks we can beat them again.

Exactly, we need a team effort and we will take some confidence into the game, knowing we have done it before.

LostDoggy
27-08-2008, 08:44 PM
How's this theory?

Buddy kicks 6
Roughhead kicks 4
Williams kicks 3
Other players kick 4 between them

= 17 goals

We are capable of easily kicking 20+ goals when we are playing well. Should be a great game people. I'm starting to get pretty toey!

Dancin' Douggy
27-08-2008, 09:28 PM
How's this theory?

Buddy kicks 6
Roughhead kicks 4
Williams kicks 3
Other players kick 4 between them

= 17 goals

We are capable of easily kicking 20+ goals when we are playing well. Should be a great game people. I'm starting to get pretty toey!

Johnno kicks 5. Aker kicks 4. Welsh kicks 4. Murph kicks 3. Hahn kicks 3. Minson kicks 2.
Cooney chips in for 2 as does Griffen. Gia snags a couple. A long bomb from Eagle. and a couple on the run from Gilbee. Perfect case scenario but quite possible. 28 goals.
I'd take that.

LostDoggy
27-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Johnno kicks 5. Aker kicks 4. Welsh kicks 4. Murph kicks 3. Hahn kicks 3. Minson kicks 2.
Cooney chips in for 2 as does Griffen. Gia snags a couple. A long bomb from Eagle. and a couple on the run from Gilbee. Perfect case scenario but quite possible. 28 goals.
I'd take that.

I like you're thinking Dancin Doug;)

LostDoggy
27-08-2008, 10:40 PM
hightlighed stats 2 and four might have been much higher without williams last game though

Mantis
27-08-2008, 11:25 PM
hightlighed stats 2 and four might have been much higher without williams last game though

Woiuldn't have changed Inside 50's though.

LostDoggy
27-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Have we won a hard ball since that game?

FrediKanoute
28-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Problem could be we arent playing anywhere as near as good as we were then.

I agree. I watched the game against Essendon last night and whilst it was a good win and we managed to iron out a few creaks, tackling and pressure were still pretty poor and as the commentators pointed out time and time again we had too many front runners rather than waves of runners running from behind to receive. Maybe missing Gilbee and Ray unbalanced us a little more than we thought, but the running, tackling and pressure are things we have to get right against first Adelaide and then the Hawks.

I will say one thing though, I liked Hill as the floating half back. Yes he is inexperienced and time will tell whether he will do it consistently, but his marking and ability to find time with the ball were impressive......probably the best game I've seen him play.