Reid is a definite in, say's so here:

http://westernbulldogs.com.au/tabid/4112/Default.aspx?newsid=66517

bornadog
28-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Great achievement for him.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Well Done Sammy Reid.

Great effort for his first year ahead of others from years past.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Ins:

Gilbee and Reid

Out:

Everitt and Ward

bornadog
28-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Ins:

Gilbee and Reid

Out:

Everitt and Ward

Interesting Ray has been dropped

The Pie Man
28-08-2008, 07:11 PM

Yep - he's in the emergencies too, so definitely dropped.

Congrats to Reid, deserves a crack and looks a player

That back 6 is shorrrrrrrt. One of Wight or Everitt (and I note Cam is also in the emergencies and Andrejs is not) has to come into that back 6 for next Friday.

GVGjr
28-08-2008, 07:11 PM

Are you sure he is fit enough to play

Mantis
28-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Backline looks short.

Throughandthrough
28-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Without ANY research, another debutatant in the past @ Football Park v Crows was Giansiracusa

The Coon Dog
28-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Without ANY research, another debutatant in the past @ Football Park v Crows was Giansiracusa

And he kicked a goal with his first kick, courtesy of a handball over the top from Chris Grant.

westdog54
28-08-2008, 07:39 PM
And he kicked a goal with his first kick, courtesy of a handball over the top from Chris Grant.

A dribbly little grubber kick that rolled through IIRC.

The commentators remarked on how 'baby-faced' he was. Has anything changed?

LostDoggy
28-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Question for Williamstown watchers.
How quick is Reid? Quick enough to play a back pocket roll on the Rioli's, Varcoe's etc ??
Is his body physically strong enough to hold down a back pocket role?

LostDoggy
28-08-2008, 09:19 PM
I dont want to put the jinx on Reid but i have the feeling he is going to have an immediate impact from the get go. Comming from QLD he seems to have settled quite well in Melbourne, may have something to do with his level of maturity?

Now go and watch him get one handball for the game :P

The Coon Dog
28-08-2008, 09:24 PM
I dont want to put the jinx on Reid but i have the feeling he is going to have an immediate impact from the get go. Comming from QLD he seems to have settled quite well in Melbourne, may have something to do with his level of maturity?

Now go and watch him get one handball for the game :P

That was an issue earlier this year. The club did some some reservations, particularly as he seemed to be leading another newbie astray. Thankfully the penny dropped & he's now playing good footy.

GVGjr
28-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Question for Williamstown watchers.
How quick is Reid? Quick enough to play a back pocket roll on the Rioli's, Varcoe's etc ??
Is his body physically strong enough to hold down a back pocket role?

He isn't overly quick. He is a strong midfield or HBF type. He might struggle with the really quick guys.

The Pie Man
28-08-2008, 09:37 PM
That was an issue earlier this year. The club did some some reservations, particularly as he seemed to be leading another newbie astray. Thankfully the penny dropped & he's now playing good footy.

Would love to hear more about this - and the 'some some' is very unlike you TCD!

The Coon Dog
28-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Would love to hear more about this - and the 'some some' is very unlike you TCD!

Nothing major, just took a little while to understand the requirements of the professionalism needed at the elite level. Things like being late & not cleaning up etc, but not realising it was a concern.

The Pie Man
28-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Nothing major, just took a little while to understand the requirements of the professionalism needed at the elite level. Things like being late & not cleaning up etc, but not realising it was a concern.

I'm happy it's this way, but footy clubs are like wives these days

Topdog
28-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Named as an emergency. If he's fit, surely he would have to play with only one week to go.

You can't be dropped after missing a week. Ray will be back in next week at the latest.

The big talking point so far is Reid and congrats to the guy but what on Earth is going on with Everitt being dropped?

With Williams out many were stating that he would have to go to Buddy and now he is dropped!

bornadog
28-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Are you sure he is fit enough to play

If not, why is he listed as an emergency?

Throughandthrough
28-08-2008, 11:16 PM
The big talking point so far is Reid and congrats to the guy but what on Earth is going on with Everitt being dropped?

!

The disgraceful one handed effort on the wing in the second quarter.

GVGjr
28-08-2008, 11:20 PM
If not, why is he listed as an emergency?

There are a lot of games with selections at the moment and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't play for Williamstown.

By the way here is the Williamstown side for Saturday. It should be a cracking game against Werribee.

Williamstown

B Greene Meyer Wight

HB Picken Cloke O'Keefe

C Stretton Bre. Johnson Everitt

HF Ward Skipper Urch

F Tiller Little Rose

R Street Jolley Ray

Int Langlands Keddell McKenzie Wood Cartelli Galea Lockwood Beaumont

bornadog
28-08-2008, 11:33 PM
There are a lot of games with selections at the moment and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't play for Williamstown.

By the way here is the Williamstown side for Saturday. It should be a cracking game against Werribee.

Williamstown

B Greene Meyer Wight

HB Picken Cloke O'Keefe

C Stretton Bre. Johnson Everitt

HF Ward Skipper Urch

F Tiller Little Rose

R Street Jolley Ray

Int Langlands Keddell McKenzie Wood Cartelli Galea Lockwood Beaumont

Are you going down, then rushing home to watch the Adelaide game;)

strebla
29-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Just a small thought we are playing a small backline this week against a somewhat depleted Crows forward line Whereas Werribee have had a rather Biggish forward structure this year perhaps Wight and Everitt will be charged with fighting it out for week one of the finals

GVGjr
29-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Are you going down, then rushing home to watch the Adelaide game;)

I'll probably go to the Williamstown game and watch a replay of the game against Adelaide.

Sedat
29-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Yep - he's in the emergencies too, so definitely dropped.

How can you be dropped when you didn't even play the week before?

Good reward for young Reid. Has obviously improved at a good rate as the season has worn on and according to track watchers, his last 6 weeks of VFL football has been consistently strong. I like to see AFL debutants show themselves to be above the VFL standard.

LostDoggy
29-08-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm tipping Glbee doesn't come up and is replaced by Wight.

Wight to play on Gill who has some height and who reminds me of Buddy - he's male.

The Pie Man
29-08-2008, 09:26 AM
How can you be dropped when you didn't even play the week before?

Good reward for young Reid. Has obviously improved at a good rate as the season has worn on and according to track watchers, his last 6 weeks of VFL football has been consistently strong. I like to see AFL debutants show themselves to be above the VFL standard.

I guess there is some debate as to how you define 'dropped'

He's played every game for 2 months, and pulls out from a virus for one week and then plays VFL the very next week - I would say that's an ommission, but technically maybe not - probably bad timing with Higgins getting 14 touches and Hill/Harbrow still impressing while he was out.

I still assumed he was straight back in for Cal Ward.

Ozza
29-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Surprising to be trialling a first gamer in the last game before finals. But good luck to him.

For those of you that watch Willi - give me your thoughts on Liam Picken this year?

He is a great kid, and a workhorse of a footballer - and trained with us in the pre-season - And i've noticed him in the best most weeks. Just wondering if any of you had some observations from seeing him live.

aker39
29-08-2008, 10:39 AM

I was there for Gia's debut, and I'll be there for Sam Reids debut.

We had a win when Gia debut, let's hope we can do that tomorrow.

The only thing I don't want to be the same, is the pooring rain.

Mantis
29-08-2008, 11:24 AM
I guess there is some debate as to how you define 'dropped'

He's played every game for 2 months, and pulls out from a virus for one week and then plays VFL the very next week - I would say that's an ommission, but technically maybe not - probably bad timing with Higgins getting 14 touches and Hill/Harbrow still impressing while he was out.

I still assumed he was straight back in for Cal Ward.

I still think Ray has to play in the first final. We will need his running ability + he nullified Bateman's influence in Tassie so hopefully he can do that job again.

bornadog
29-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Surprising to be trialling a first gamer in the last game before finals. But good luck to him. .

and surprising Eade says he is a chance to play against Hawthorn? Is this realistic or just a carrot for him to play well.

Bulldog Revolution
29-08-2008, 02:09 PM
I still think Ray has to play in the first final. We will need his running ability + he nullified Bateman's influence in Tassie so hopefully he can do that job again.

Ray absolutely is in our best team,

His form has tapered off, at the same time as the teams has, but perhaps he's been a bit too hardly scrutinised. But before the bad patch I thought he'd improved, better defensive efforts and less hit and hope forward entries.

His running capacity on the MCG in a Final where Griffen, Cooney etc will get plenty of attention will be important - as it was against C'wood in 06.

westdog54
29-08-2008, 02:09 PM
The disgraceful one handed effort on the wing in the second quarter.

That would've been the clincher.

Congratulations to Sam Reid.

bornadog
29-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Ray absolutely is in our best team,

His form has tapered off, at the same time as the teams has, but perhaps he's been a bit too hardly scrutinised. But before the bad patch I thought he'd improved, better defensive efforts and less hit and hope forward entries.

His running capacity on the MCG in a Final where Griffen, Cooney etc will get plenty of attention will be important - as it was against C'wood in 06.

One of Rays best games.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-08-2008, 06:42 PM
and surprising Eade says he is a chance to play against Hawthorn? Is this realistic or just a carrot for him to play well.

Might be just as much a jab to those whose place young Reid is potentially taking...
That is give the inducement to Reid to put in a good showing, but also to hopefully give those others battling for a spot to really put in with Willy this weekend.

phroosh
29-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Just a small thought we are playing a small backline this week against a somewhat depleted Crows forward line Whereas Werribee have had a rather Biggish forward structure this year perhaps Wight and Everitt will be charged with fighting it out for week one of the finals

There might be something in that. Adelaide have brought back Tippett, to a get a game in him before the finals. He plays a lot up forward when he's off the ball. Hardly a monster forward line still.

KT31
29-08-2008, 09:14 PM

Scott Taylor was another.
Richuitto (?) stood on Taylors foot and broke a one of his bones.
Never played another senior game.

The Coon Dog
29-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Scott Taylor was another.
Richuitto (?) stood on Taylors foot and broke a one of his bones.
Never played another senior game.

Not quite KT31, it was v Brisbane in R1, 1996 & the player who stood on his foot was Richard Champion. Alan Joyce then sent him back on with a broken foot & completely buggered it.

He actually played on Mark Riccuitto a few weeks earlier in a practice match at Footy Park. He thought the Roo seemed like a really nice bloke, happy to chat when the ball was up the other end.

Sockeye Salmon
29-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Not quite KT31, it was v Brisbane in R1, 1996 & the player who stood on his foot was Richard Champion. Alan Joyce then sent him back on with a broken foot & completely buggered it.

He actually played on Mark Riccuitto a few weeks earlier in a practice match at Footy Park. He thought the Roo seemed like a really nice bloke, happy to chat when the ball was up the other end.

You know the funny thing about this?

KT31 actually worked with Scott Taylor a few years back so knows him fairly well and I would bet every dollar I have TCD is right.

The Coon Dog
29-08-2008, 11:14 PM
You know the funny thing about this?

KT31 actually worked with Scott Taylor a few years back so knows him fairly well and I would bet every dollar I have TCD is right.

I'll let you in on a little secret SS. Scott boarded with me when he first got drafted by the Doggies.

Interesting story actually. My wife has a cousin named Scott Taylor who also lived in Grovedale. We recruit a Scott Taylor from Grovedale.

Visiting Lauren's terminally ill Grandmother in hospital, she asked whether Scott played football. Even tho her Gran was struggling a bit she knew exactly why Lauren asked that question & said, 'it's not him, it's another Scott Taylor who goes to school with him.'

A few days later Garry O'Sullivan rings & asks if we'd mind boarding a young draftee. Just happened to be Scott Taylor.

strebla
30-08-2008, 01:58 AM
I was laugghing so hard when i read your reply TCD i remember when was staying at your place

bornadog
30-08-2008, 11:11 AM
I was laugghing so hard when i read your reply TCD i remember when was staying at your place

Its a small world