PDA

View Full Version : Who would you prefer, Hill or Rioli?

bornadog
31-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Rioli is one of the favourites to win the rising star, but I was thinking who would I prefer compared to our nominee Hill. Not being biased, but I prefer a taller player like Hill. His big leap and ability to take a one grab mark, as well as his pace make him a real asset for the future. Rioli, obviously a good player, has averaged less disposals per game than Hill, is a good 10 cm shorter and about the same age as Hill (Hill 6 months older).

Who would you prefer

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 06:09 PM
On current performances Rioli.

I will get back to you in 365 days though. I think Hill is sp-special.

bornadog
31-08-2008, 06:12 PM
On current performances Rioli.

I will get back to you in 365 days though. I think Hill is sp-special.

I was more thinking in the long term. For what its worth, I would take Rhys Palmer any time, he is a gun.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 06:14 PM
I was more thinking in the long term. For what its worth, I would take Rhys Palmer any time, he is a gun.
I want to tell you in 365 days "I'd take Jarod Grant every day of the week".

Hill has a wider range of skills i think, but Rioli seems more deadly around goals.

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 06:25 PM

Palmer will be a good player because he reads the play so well and gets a lot of the pil. But his disposal is awful. Needs a lot of work

LostDoggy
31-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Trent Cotchin has got them all covered.

bornadog
31-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Hill has a wider range of skills i think, but Rioli seems more deadly around goals.

Rioli, 20 goals in 20 games. Hill 12 in 15 games.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Rioli, 20 goals in 20 games. Hill 12 in 15 games.
Any other stat break downs?

ledge
31-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Well thats a great stat, means jack really, Hill plays all over the place.
Think i would prefer Hill due to height and who we need more.

hujsh
31-08-2008, 06:48 PM
I might go with Hill cause contested marking midfield/forward types are very valuable. Rioli could be anything however (if he move into the midfield)

bornadog
31-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Well thats a great stat, means jack really,

If you read the thread, I was answering the perception that Rioli is a great goal sneak.

bornadog
31-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Any other stat break downs?

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/untitled-3.jpg

Hill needs to improve his tackling.

My point with all of this is that rising stars are sometimes based on media hype.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Rioli's disposal and decision making is cleaner than Hills at the moment. Hill has a great ability to find space and the ball, and whilst his skills aren't bad I think they need to improve.

At this stage Rioli is a better player, he's faster, harder & cleaner with disposal but in a few years time, Hill could quite easily be double the player. Hill can play several positions, he'll be able to run all day and he's a great overhead mark. If he keeps improving - which he is - he'll be a very good player.

It's sort of the 'unknown' with Hill - you probably would guess Rioli will be a dymanic player for The Hawks with his pace, skills and defensive pressure, but Hill is capable of anything - it's a matter of how hard he works for it.

ledge
31-08-2008, 08:35 PM
The contested marks is what we need and going on those stats , Hill is right for us.

craigsahibee
31-08-2008, 08:38 PM
I hate all things Hawthorn. Give me Josh anyday.

Bulldog Revolution
31-08-2008, 09:06 PM
I want to tell you in 365 days "I'd take Jarod Grant every day of the week".

Thats the thing I keep thinking - I hope Grant develops because Rioli has been a cant miss talent from day 1

bulldogtragic
31-08-2008, 09:16 PM
God those stats are telling.

Media hype in deed. Where is the 'Josh for rising star" push.

hujsh
31-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Thats the thing I keep thinking - I hope Grant develops because Rioli has been a cant miss talent from day 1

I'd rather the club be bold and take a guy like Grant to fill our needs than be pussies and take a safe option.

Franklin wasn't a sure thing so Hawthorn's guts paid off.

Bulldog Revolution
31-08-2008, 10:04 PM
I'd rather the club be bold and take a guy like Grant to fill our needs than be pussies and take a safe option.

Franklin wasn't a sure thing so Hawthorn's guts paid off.

I know exactly what you are saying, and we desperately needed some key forward options on the list, but if Grant is a Tim Walsh like pick then it will always be disappointing for us.

The vibe I got last year was that Grant was the 5th pick because we needed a tall - I hope I am wrong.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-08-2008, 10:54 PM
The vibe I got last year was that Grant was the 5th pick because we needed a tall - I hope I am wrong.

I know what you're saying.

Hopefully Grant turns out to be a solid KF, otherwise, it's going to be sour grapes because there have been a few very talented players taken afterwards.

It doesn't help Grant has suffered OP this year, we've been unable to see him perform basically at all. Hopefully he can get over that, build some muscle, have a solid pre-season and show his potential next year.

strebla
01-09-2008, 01:14 AM
I think Hill has far more upside to his game as for Grant he was always going top ten and was a good get for us

westdog54
01-09-2008, 12:31 PM
I've never seen a player so young so comfortable flying for an overhead mark. Almost lackadaisical at times, and never drops it. During the Essendon game it was at the point where we'd kick to him on a one-on-one at halfback/wing because we knew he'd end up with it.

His disposal does need some work but I think we've got a gem on our hands with Hill.

Mofra
01-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Henderson was one people were hyping up as the best pure KPP in the draft. Clayton thought Grant was better, knowing the Demons would take Morton who Clayton rated highly as well (according to that extensive Age article from a while back)

Topdog
01-09-2008, 01:24 PM

But Grant and Rioli have nothing to do with each other. We wouldn't have picked up Rioli if we didn't pick Grant.

mjp
01-09-2008, 01:38 PM
With no disrespect to everyone, Rioli is several classes above young Josh. Josh can be a reasonable AFL player...Junior has the potential to be a superstar.

Pick 10 (or something) compared with pick 50....that is what the difference usually is!

1eyedog
01-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Hill, he's a different type of player and can't be compared to Rioli in the current context. He'll take another year but he'll be a gun.

Bulldog Revolution
01-09-2008, 02:37 PM
But Grant and Rioli have nothing to do with each other. We wouldn't have picked up Rioli if we didn't pick Grant.

Are you sure about that?

immortalmike
01-09-2008, 06:27 PM
With no disrespect to everyone, Rioli is several classes above young Josh. Josh can be a reasonable AFL player...Junior has the potential to be a superstar.

Pick 10 (or something) compared with pick 50....that is what the difference usually is!

What picks were Chris Grant and James Hird again? Sorry, but I'm not too impressed with Rioli honestly gives me a Leon Davis/Winston Abraham vibe. I hope I'm wrong though as I'd love another indigenous superstar to watch.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Trent Cotchin has got them all covered.

In what must be a WOOF first..... I agree with you Jerry, Cotchin looks a very special player.

bornadog
01-09-2008, 06:34 PM
I hope I'm wrong though as I'd love another indigenous superstar to watch.

Hill;)

:D

mjp
01-09-2008, 11:05 PM
What picks were Chris Grant and James Hird again? Sorry, but I'm not too impressed with Rioli honestly gives me a Leon Davis/Winston Abraham vibe. I hope I'm wrong though as I'd love another indigenous superstar to watch.

Chris Grant and James Hird? From an altogether different drafting era...don't even go there with that sort of stuff. If you think the professionalism of the clubs with regards to recruiting hasn't increased 1000 fold then you haven't been watching.

I am curious though - what exactly does Rioli have to do to impress you? He is kicking goals, setting up goals, laying tackles and has slotted into a permanent spot in a top 2 side at just 18 years of age in his first full year in it....who was our last draftee who managed to slot into the side from round 1, let alone stay there and make an impact?

Dancin' Douggy
03-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Rioli may turn out to be a Jeff Farmer type 'Wiz'.
All flash and some incredible games here and there.
People were talking for years about Farmer as a mid fielder and how great he would be but............

Hill looks like a cross between Long and Winmar. I know that's best case scenario but he's already shown he's exceptional overhead. Especially in contested situations and that's something we REALLY need as a club. As his confidence grows I can see him doing all the things Rioli does but with even more scope as a player. He has the height and spring to play tall and the skills and athleticism to play as a 'small'.

Rioli is definitely ahead now but I love Josh and the way he plays so I'm backing him in.

hujsh
03-09-2008, 11:07 PM
What about Ward vs Rioli?

Mantis
03-09-2008, 11:43 PM
What about Ward vs Rioli?

What about it?

hujsh
04-09-2008, 04:42 PM
What about it?

Interested in who would be preferred.

bornadog
04-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Interested in who would be preferred.

Riloi at this stage is more accomplished, however, Ward is younger and only trains part time due to schooling. Next year will tell us more once Ward has a proper preseason and is able to get his fitness up a few levels.