PDA

View Full Version : Woof Player of the Finals Series – Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn

BulldogBelle
04-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Who will be our player of the finals series? There will be a 5,4,3,2,1 voting system.

So after Friday's game - pick the 5 players who you think had the most impact on the game.

Our first game is the Second QF – Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn

Mofra
06-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Mission impossible? We need to find all 5?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2008, 12:22 AM
Welll I only saw two and bit quarters before I could stomach it no more. I'm truggling to think of 2 that put in the required effort to get a vote.

GVGjr
06-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Mission impossible? We need to find all 5?

I'll try.

5: - Griffen
4: - Gilbee
3: - Cross
2: - Akermanis
1: - Hill

mjp
06-09-2008, 12:35 AM
5: - Cross
4: - Griffen
3: - Hill
2: - Akermanis
1: - Harbrow

whythelongface
06-09-2008, 12:36 AM
There were some players that were prepared to have a go.

5. Grif
4. Cross
3. Gilbee
2. Aker
1. Gia

bornadog
06-09-2008, 12:52 AM
5. Cross - tried his guts out, must have had 40 posessions
4. Griffen
3. Hill
2. Gia
1. Minson

Missing in action - the rest of the midfield

The Pie Man
06-09-2008, 12:54 AM
5 Cross
4 Hill
3 Griffen
2 Akermanis
1 Giansiracusa......I guess

The Coon Dog
06-09-2008, 12:55 AM
5. Daniel Cross
4. Ryan Griffen
3. Josh Hill
2. Lindsay Gilbee
1. Jason Akermanis

Special mentoions to ????? & ?????. :mad:

Scraggers
06-09-2008, 01:03 AM
6. Me ... for watching all four quarters
5. Cross ... 40 touches, not all of them good
4. Griffen ... never gave up
2. Gilbee ... not a bad effort
1. Akermanis ... best game for a few weeks now
3. Hill ... great experience for him

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:10 AM
5 Umpire the first
4 The bloke sitting next to me who smelt like flowers
3 My Hawthorn mate sitting up in the cheap seats
2 That guy who sells the Record outside Gate 5
1 That hot lady in front of me, oh, hang on that's a bloke.

half a point - Cross, Gilbee, Aker, Hargrave.

Special mention - Welsh, for showing up to the game at the 17th minute of the fourth quarter. Nice of him to honour us with his presence. Sit in the bloody square and kick goals for f***s sake -- that's what you were brought over for.

Happy Days
06-09-2008, 01:12 AM
5. Cross
4. Griffen
Everone else can please themselves.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:12 AM
5) Cross
4) Griffen
3) Hill
2) Akermanis
1) Gilbee

I see Harbrow getting votes but I didnt think much of his game at all. Love his tackling efforts but his skills and decision making are nowhere near that of a senior footballer. Mind you he had plenty of company tonight.

1eyedog
06-09-2008, 01:14 AM
5. Cross
4. Griffen
Everone else can please themselves.

I;, glad you didnt put Farren down for BOG tonight because it has reinforced how crap he is both offensively and defensively. He is just isn't accountable

1eyedog
06-09-2008, 01:15 AM
5 Umpire the first

Special mention - Welsh, for showing up to the game at the 17th minute of the fourth quarter. Nice of him to honour us with his presence. Sit in the bloody square and kick goals for f***s sake -- that's what you were brought over for.

like it, like it

Happy Days
06-09-2008, 01:17 AM
I;, glad you didnt put Farren down for BOG tonight because it has reinforced how crap he is both offensively and defensively. He is just isn't accountable

Too right...I was bitterly dissapointed in him tonight.

On a completely unrelated matter anyone know how to change your username? :D

1eyedog
06-09-2008, 01:23 AM
Too right...I was bitterly dissapointed in him tonight.

On a completely unrelated matter anyone know how to change your username? :D

Just type in a signature titled :"IGNORE THE ABOVE"

Mantis
06-09-2008, 03:28 AM
6. Me ... for watching all four quarters
5. Cross ... 40 touches, not all of them good
4. Griffen ... never gave up
2. Gilbee ... not a bad effort
1. Akermanis ... best game for a few weeks now
3. Hill ... great experience for him

So why give him votes?

Scraggers
06-09-2008, 03:34 AM
So why give him votes?

Because he got 40 touches MORE than half of our team ... some of his disposal was atrocious, of that there is no doubt, but he was one of only a very small handful of Bulldog players who was head down bum up trying to lay hand on leather ALL NIGHT

Therefore, in my very humble Lounge Chair opinion, a worthy reciepient of my 5 votes !!

Sockeye Salmon
06-09-2008, 03:37 AM
5. Cross
4. Griffen
3. Giansiracusa
2. Minson
1. Akermanis

Bulldog Revolution
06-09-2008, 10:12 AM
5. Griffen
4. Cross
3. Akermanis
2. Gilbee
1. Hill

Mantis
06-09-2008, 10:41 AM

Is it entirely his fault?

He was made to play in defence as early as the 2nd qtr as our chosen defender's were being beaten and all we had on the bench was offensive midfielder's.

wimberga
06-09-2008, 11:06 AM
5- Griff
4- Cross
3- Gia
2- Hill
1- Ray

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 11:39 AM
^^^ Please tell me you didnt pick ray as one of our best :( his disposals were appalling

Ray to whoever wants him, and ill take a 4th round pick...5th if we cant get 4th round..or why not just delist him and get nothing? wouldnt notice any difference anyway

5-Griffin
4-Gilbee
3-Aker
2-Hill
1-Gia

Hope Eade drills our forwards...Welsh, Murphy, Hahn where the hell were you?

Murphy & Hahn were around but it seems Welsh was having a nap in the first 3 quarters..and surprised fans that he was actually at the game when he touched the ball outside 50 in the last qtr

1eyedog
06-09-2008, 11:57 AM
5-Griffen
4-Cross
3-Hill
2-Minson
1-Akermanis

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 12:10 PM
I really felt sorry for Lake, Morris, Hargrave, Callan and the other defenders.
Can't give them votes but they were under pressure all night and really didn't do a lot wrong.

Desipura
06-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Lake for most of the 1st qtr was not even jumping with Roughead. That was just him not reading the ball coming in all that well.
Playing a reasonable half footy from one of our leaders is not enough.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Lake for most of the 1st qtr was not even jumping with Roughead. That was just him not reading the ball coming in all that well.
Playing a reasonable half footy from one of our leaders is not enough.

We didn't lose because he failed to jump a few times in the first quarter.
Thought he played Buddy ok, in front with no midfield pressure he is unstopable, some his stuff was also freakish and got a couple of poor decisions.
Insides 50 were 35 last time we played them, this time who knows?

Desipura
06-09-2008, 12:38 PM
No we did not lose because of Lake misreading the flight of the ball early. However we need our leaders to stand up and say "enough is enough, I will fly the flag even if you guys do not want to have a serious crack at it"

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 12:48 PM
No we did not lose because of Lake misreading the flight of the ball early. However we need our leaders to stand up and say "enough is enough, I will fly the flag even if you guys do not want to have a serious crack at it"

So failing to jump a couple of time against guys leading out is a sign of lack of leadership?
He has been poor over the last month but last night did his best against a barrage which more leadership than a lot of others displayed.

bornadog
06-09-2008, 01:13 PM
So failing to jump a couple of time against guys leading out is a sign of lack of leadership?
He has been poor over the last month but last night did his best against a barrage which more leadership than a lot of others displayed.

I am with you ES. In hindsight, he was the only one that should have been on Buddy from the start. No one else has the size and strength at the moment with Williams injured. Morris looked like a form 2 kid playing on a form 6 kid.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 01:29 PM
I am with you ES. In hindsight, he was the only one that should have been on Buddy from the start. No one else has the size and strength at the moment with Williams injured. Morris looked like a form 2 kid playing on a form 6 kid.
I'm not sure if Buddy was going to run around then Morris was the right player. Also if the was more midfield pressure Morris would have been right too.

Sedat
06-09-2008, 01:57 PM
I really felt sorry for Lake, Morris, Hargrave, Callan and the other defenders.
Can't give them votes but they were under pressure all night and really didn't do a lot wrong.
Lake's first 15 minutes on Roughead were terrible but he improved significantly after that. He was just gave Roughy far too much latitude to make an early impact on the game.

BulldogBelle
06-09-2008, 02:04 PM

Spooky - M Sheahan just said that on 3AW......... but relating to the whole team

Scorlibo
06-09-2008, 02:10 PM
5 - Cross - he played one of his best for the year, he had that hunger to be first to the ball which very few of our others players demonstrated.

4 - Griffen - his run and carry from the get-go was great, when the ball was in his hands we looked a far more potent and confident outfit.

3 - Akermanis - kicked a few important goals against the flow of play and looked one of the few players who could actually turn the momentum. Play him forward of centre for the whole game Rocket:mad:.

2 - Lake - used the ball well, got plenty of it, and when he was moved on to Franklin he beat him IMO.

1 - Cooney - he got his hands on it a fair bit, went forward and kicked a couple of goals, wasn't a great game for him but he was influencial in parts.

Scorlibo
06-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Spooky - M Sheahan just said that on 3AW......... but relating to the whole team

I hate Mike Sheahan and those sorts of comments. Ridiculous, doesn't contribute anything to rational discussion.

BulldogBelle
06-09-2008, 02:14 PM
5. Griffen
4. Cross
3. Gilbee
2. Hudson
1. Cooney

bornadog
06-09-2008, 02:50 PM

He has been reading my posts;)

BulldogBelle
06-09-2008, 03:14 PM
5. Daniel Cross
4. Ryan Griffen
3. Jason Akermanis
2. Josh Hill
1. Daniel Giansiracusa

hujsh
06-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Roughead was taking the ball as high as he could possibly do so. Lake is more a body player that a leaper

The Underdog
06-09-2008, 04:52 PM
5.Griffen
4.Cross
3.Gilbee
2.Akermanis
1.Hill

Nearly squeezed Will in as I thought he busted his arse all night. Hudson was clearly not fit and will unlikely be in any decent shape for next week.

Special mention to the old lady behind me who was bagging me out under her breath for not standing during the national anthem , 5 votes to you and take your tokenistic meaningless patriotic window dressing, love. My grandfathers fought in world wars to protect my right to hate that tuneless dirge. (sorry, that was totally off topic and unwarranted but I've got a lot of built up frustration after last night and I can't even begin to express my disappointment)

hujsh
06-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Special mention to the old lady behind me who was bagging me out under her breath for not standing during the national anthem , 5 votes to you and take your tokenistic meaningless patriotic window dressing, love. My grandfathers fought in world wars to protect my right to hate that tuneless dirge. (sorry, that was totally off topic and unwarranted but I've got a lot of built up frustration after last night and I can't even begin to express my disappointment)

I salute you for that. It's not the anthem of my nation

Mantis
06-09-2008, 07:07 PM
5. Ryan Griffen
3. Jason Akermanis
2. Josh Hill
1. Daniel Cross - for effort.

Go_Dogs
06-09-2008, 07:12 PM
5. Griffen
4. Cross
3. Hill

The Coon Dog
06-09-2008, 07:31 PM
5. Ryan Griffen
3. Jason Akermanis
2. Josh Hill
1. Daniel Cross - for effort.

Go on, I'll be the one to ask it. What happened to 4?

FrediKanoute
06-09-2008, 08:04 PM
5. No one deserved 5 votes
4. No one deserved 4 votes
3. Hill - for a kid playing his first final he wasn't overawed and looked very comfortable at that level. Played well when the game was there to be won.
2. Cross - was sensational, battled hard all day and though his disposal at times was poor, he had a few friends in that category.
1. Akermanis - didn't get much of the footy, but used it well and like Hill conributed when the game was there to be won.

BulldogBelle
06-09-2008, 08:15 PM
1 vote B. Lake

2 votes D. Giansiracusa

3 votes D. Cross

4 votes R. Griffen

5 votes J. Hill

Mantis
06-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Go on, I'll be the one to ask it. What happened to 4?

I thought there was a pretty big gap between our best player and our second best player.

LostDoggy
06-09-2008, 11:01 PM
I can't possibly award votes after that diabolical effort. If Ihadn't of been at the game I certainly would of turned it off. With regards to the Herald Sun Champion Data statistics, were they watching the same game?
Lance Franklin was given the following stats: 14 kicks, 1 handball (15 total), 3 frees against, 8 goals 2 behinds and 12 clangers!! Efficiency rate 67%
Daniel Cross: 10 kicks, 29 handballs (39), 0 clangers. Efficiency 92%!

Where did they pull the 12 clangers out for Franklin and I can think of at least 5 Cross clangers. I remember at least 2 turnovers by foot, couple of turnovers by hand and a grubber kick on the wing that went straight to the Hawks not to mention numerous handballs that were nowhere near their intended mark. (This bloke seriously shouldn't be allowed to kick or play when West is not there).

Sockeye Salmon
06-09-2008, 11:57 PM
I can't possibly award votes after that diabolical effort. If Ihadn't of been at the game I certainly would of turned it off. With regards to the Herald Sun Champion Data statistics, were they watching the same game?
Lance Franklin was given the following stats: 14 kicks, 1 handball (15 total), 3 frees against, 8 goals 2 behinds and 12 clangers!! Efficiency rate 67%
Daniel Cross: 10 kicks, 29 handballs (39), 0 clangers. Efficiency 92%!

Where did they pull the 12 clangers out for Franklin and I can think of at least 5 Cross clangers. I remember at least 2 turnovers by foot, couple of turnovers by hand and a grubber kick on the wing that went straight to the Hawks not to mention numerous handballs that were nowhere near their intended mark. (This bloke seriously shouldn't be allowed to kick or play when West is not there).

Free kicks and 50m penalties are included in clangers (as are fumbles - looking at you Matthew Boyd)

western cookie
06-09-2008, 11:57 PM
5 cross only player to run all night
4 griff
3 hill
2 gilbee
1 boyd
that was like completing a rubiks cube!

craigsahibee
07-09-2008, 12:26 AM
5 Umpire the first

Lucky you. I don't have any Hawthorn mates. Just a boss and a brother in law and they are tools like the rest of Hawthorn's supporter base.

5 - Griffen
4 - Cross
3 - Hill
2 - Akermanis
1 - Gilbee

None of them over 185cm. What does that tell you?

hujsh
07-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Lucky you. I don't have any Hawthorn mates. Just a boss and a brother in law and they are tools like the rest of Hawthorn's supporter base.

5 - Griffen
4 - Cross
3 - Hill
2 - Akermanis
1 - Gilbee

All over 185cm.

LostDoggy
07-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Free kicks and 50m penalties are included in clangers (as are fumbles - looking at you Matthew Boyd)

I know what constitutes a clanger but there is no way Franklin had 12 and Cross had a near perfect game.

1eyedog
07-09-2008, 01:32 PM

5 - Griffen
4 - Cross
3 - Hill
2 - Akermanis
1 - Gilbee

Yep
188cm
187cm
and 186cm

You should have said none over 190cm

Scorlibo
07-09-2008, 01:45 PM
I know what constitutes a clanger but there is no way Franklin had 12 and Cross had a near perfect game.

I certainly can't remember any Cross clangers and the amount of frees and fifties Franklin gave away I'm not surprised. Doesn't mean Cross played a near perfect game, just that he didn't make any dreadful mistakes.

Max469
07-09-2008, 02:08 PM
5-Griffen
4-Cross
3-Hill
2-Aker
1-Gia

A very extra special mention to Chris Grant who was not too far from me - who in the last couple of minutes of the game, just sat there and scratched his head. I bet he wished he was out there.

He still looks great - seeing him again was the highlight of my night.

GVGjr
07-09-2008, 02:43 PM
A very extra special mention to Chris Grant who was not too far from me - who in the last couple of minutes of the game, just sat there and scratched his head. I bet he wished he was out there.

He still looks great - seeing him again was the highlight of my night.

I must have been sitting near you as well max. I was in the same row as Chris. Did you notice Simon Beasley and even Steve Vizard nearby as well?

Chris talked at the group in the Hasset Room.

Max469
07-09-2008, 02:57 PM
I must have been sitting near you as well max. I was in the same row as Chris. Did you notice Simon Beasley and even Steve Vizard nearby as well?

Chris talked at the group in the Hasset Room.

I was in the next bay to the left of Beasley. Three seats in. Did not see Vizard but Hutchy was in the row behind Beasley.

Would have been good to hear Chris chat - he is just so special.

Happy Days
07-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Speaking of Chris, did anyone else find it disrespectful that his jumper wasn't one of the ones in the lockers on Channel 10 before the game last night?

LostDoggy
07-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Speaking of Chris, did anyone else find it disrespectful that his jumper wasn't one of the ones in the lockers on Channel 10 before the game last night?

While he was as good or better than 3 retired , who (I bet he doesn't) cares whether or not he is in a TV jerk off fest.

LostDoggy
07-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Votes

5. Farren Ray
4. Cross
3. Akermanis
2. Harbrow
1. Griffen

Pointless really.

Anyway, thank Chris we've got the swannies. Should hold no fears. Go Dogs.

Mantis
07-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Votes

5. Farren Ray
4. Cross
3. Akermanis
2. Harbrow
1. Griffen

Pointless really.

Anyway, thank Chris we've got the swannies. Should hold no fears. Go Dogs.

Can I be the first to say, 'What the...???'

LostDoggy
07-09-2008, 05:47 PM
You can.

Maybe he just needs a friend? ;)

Crizza
07-09-2008, 09:59 PM
5. Cross
4. Griffen
3. Hill
2. Harbrow
1. Minson

Ozza
08-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Finding it very hard to give votes. Particularly since - and this will be unpopular - I didn't rate Cross' game like most of you did.

With respect to the earlier posts about clanger counts - unfortunately handballs that travel half a metre and put someone else under the pump aren't considered clangers...if they were we'd have had 100+ clangers.

Crossy's effort and endeavour can't be questioned - he had a crack no doubt and I respect that a great deal. But he had zero impact on the game - and has had far better games with 15 less possessions before.

Farren Ray was the worst player on the ground and him as a player was summed up with his two attempts on goal in the 1st quarter. Really disappointing performance.

Griffen can have the 5 votes - he was good.

The Underdog
08-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Finding it very hard to give votes. Particularly since - and this will be unpopular - I didn't rate Cross' game like most of you did.

With respect to the earlier posts about clanger counts - unfortunately handballs that travel half a metre and put someone else under the pump aren't considered clangers...if they were we'd have had 100+ clangers.

Crossy's effort and endeavour can't be questioned - he had a crack no doubt and I respect that a great deal. But he had zero impact on the game - and has had far better games with 15 less possessions before.

I don't think some of us actually rated Cross' game that highly, it's just that there wasn't much competition for votes and Cross' role put him in the play constantly. I gave him 4 because he put his body on the line and continued working his butt off which is more than can be said for some of his mates.

Farren Ray was the worst player on the ground and him as a player was summed up with his two attempts on goal in the 1st quarter. Really disappointing performance.

Griffen can have the 5 votes - he was good.

While Ray's ball usage was poor he at least kept running and providing an option. If you want to look for worse players look at his captain, or Welsh, or Murphy, or Cooney, or I could go on.

You are right about Griffen though, he stood out a mile to me as someone who was prepared to run and carry and the only one who really used it well.

westdog54
08-09-2008, 01:31 PM

In hindsight, did we miss this as a factor:

We all know Lake seems a bit lost when he's up the field and away from goals, does this apply equally to Franklin? Is he as dangerous playing further up the ground where his delivery is the most important factor? Would Lake have played a better 'stopper' role?

I haven't seen enough of Franklin to know what he's like in this regard, but I'm fairly certain he can't play a Riewoldt style, lead up the ground, deliver to the forward 50, kick the odd goal yourself style game.

Sockeye Salmon
08-09-2008, 10:01 PM
I haven't seen enough of Franklin to know what he's like in this regard, but I'm fairly certain he can't play a Riewoldt style, lead up the ground, deliver to the forward 50, kick the odd goal yourself style game.

I'd love to see his reaction if he was ever asked to.

Every time he gets the ball there's only one thought pass through his head - where's the goals.

Mantis
08-09-2008, 10:04 PM
I'd love to see his reaction if he was ever asked to.

Every time he gets the ball there's only one thought pass through his head - where's the goals.

He did pass one off to Crawford in the 2nd qtr.

Rocket Science
08-09-2008, 11:00 PM

Would suggest we could do with a few more of those.

Stefcep
08-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Because he got 40 touches MORE than half of our team ... some of his disposal was atrocious, of that there is no doubt, but he was one of only a very small handful of Bulldog players who was head down bum up trying to lay hand on leather ALL NIGHT

Therefore, in my very humble Lounge Chair opinion, a worthy reciepient of my 5 votes !!

But that's what Cross does every match. I went to about 8 games this year and at half time he racks about 20 possessions but i hardly knew it because they're mostly less than 25 meter kicks or a handball to a team mate running behind him. he needs to to take a leaf out of Bartel and Abletts books with how damaging their possessions can be because they kick long, they score 2 or 3 goals per game, and they carry the ball forward. Daniel is good at winning the ball in the clinches and running all day but thats only half the job done. No doubt about his commitment and effort however.

hujsh
09-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Would suggest we could do with a few more of those.

Selfish players?

KT31
09-09-2008, 07:36 PM
5. Griifen
4. Cross
3. Acker
2. Minson
1. Guido

BulldogBelle
09-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Voting is very close between Ryan Griffen and Daniel Cross for first position, if anyone hasn't placed their votes in - do so now, it could change the outcome.

I will be closing the voting in 20 minutes - 7.30pm.

Twodogs
09-09-2008, 08:23 PM
5-Griff
4-Cross
3-Hill
2-Harbrow
1-Cross