PDA

View Full Version : Shades of 1985

bornadog
06-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Last night reminded me of the 1985 qualfying final. The build up was similar, we had beaten the Hawks during the year and thought we had their measure. Come the day and the Hawks absolutely trounced us with a record 90 plus points, it was a completely humilating and embarrsing, again similar to last night.

In 1985, we bounced back in the semi final agaisnt North (yes North would you believe), and played more like the team we knew during the year. Hawthorn did beat us in the preliminary by ten points, but nothing like that qualifying final, it was a close match all day.

We need to just completely forget last night and focus on next weeks match, we still have an opportunity to acquit ourselves well in finals and at least win one. I think a little tweaking here and there and the boys should bounce back. I know it seems a long way off, but I haven't written the season off yet.

hujsh
06-09-2008, 03:35 PM
I'll believe this year isn't over when i see it. I hope the Dogs can convince me it's not over yet

mjp
06-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Yep. Basically, by tomorrow the review should be over....bring on the Kanga's/Swans.

BulldogBelle
06-09-2008, 10:31 PM
I hope we come back next week like we did in 85 but we were better equipped and better performed that year.

craigsahibee
07-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Last night reminded me of the 1985 qualfying final. The build up was similar, we had beaten the Hawks during the year and thought we had their measure. Come the day and the Hawks absolutely trounced us with a record 90 plus points, it was a completely humilating and embarrsing, again similar to last night.

In 1985, we bounced back in the semi final agaisnt North (yes North would you believe), and played more like the team we knew during the year. Hawthorn did beat us in the preliminary by ten points, but nothing like that qualifying final, it was a close match all day.

We need to just completely forget last night and focus on next weeks match, we still have an opportunity to acquit ourselves well in finals and at least win one. I think a little tweaking here and there and the boys should bounce back. I know it seems a long way off, but I haven't written the season off yet.

Except no one took a speccie in the forward line from the first clearance. Can anyone else remember Jimmy Edmonds' mark and atrocious kick that started our '85 finals series?

If the Kanga's had've won tonight, the similarities would have been spooky.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Except no one took a speccie in the forward line from the first clearance. Can anyone else remember Jimmy Edmonds' mark and atrocious kick that started our '85 finals series?

Swans.... Did we beat them this year as well. hope its not a sign of things to come.
Anything less than the grand final will be disappointing and a waste of 12 months.

bornadog
07-09-2008, 10:47 AM

Yes I remember it well. I thought wow great mark, what a start, and then it all went down hill from there.

westdog54
09-09-2008, 01:57 AM
I was only 2 at the time, but my dad still talks about 1985, probably more than he does about 97. He reckons that was the year we had the team that could do it.

Cyberdoggie
09-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Thinking back on it, it was incredibly unfair finals system to play the same team twice in the finals and before the grand final.

westdog54
09-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Thinking back on it, it was incredibly unfair finals system to play the same team twice in the finals and before the grand final.

We had it again in 92 against Geelong.

The current system has been the closest thing to fair since the final 4.