PDA

View Full Version : Game Day Finals Edition #2 - Bulldogs vs Swans

GVGjr
12-09-2008, 07:56 AM
This is the discussion thread for tonight's important do or die game Sydney

My predictions is the Dogs by 15 points, Griffen BOG and Murphy for the first goal.

Topdog
12-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Swans by 15. Goodes BOG, Johnno to kick our first.

Go_Dogs
12-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Dogs by 30, Cooney BOG, Gia for the first.

Looking for a mean, fearsome, team approach tonight.

Bulldog4life
12-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Dogs by 30 points easily accounting for Sydney in an even team display.

DOG GOD
12-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Syd by 8 pts. Kirk and Mcveigh killing it. Gia 1st goal for dogs.

LostDoggy
12-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Dogs by 9pts in a slugfest.

Murphy first goal
Johnno BOG

Rocket Science
12-09-2008, 12:26 PM
- Swans by 27 points
- Welsh for our first major
- Ryan O'Keefe BOG

I'll cop a loss if they have a bloody dip and learn something.

Bulldog Revolution
12-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Dogs by 3points
Johnson first goal
Cooney BOG

LostDoggy
12-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Swans by 5. Tiller BOG. Hahn First goal.

Just kidding about Tiller.Goodes BOG.

westdog54
12-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Dogs by 5, Griffen first goal, Murphy BOG.

I think it'll be a scrap

bornadog
12-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Harbrow first goal

Griff - BOG

Dogs by 43 points running away;)

The Underdog
12-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Dogs by 123 points.
Lake BOG (for asking Barry Hall how things are going at home every 2 minutes until he snaps)
Lindsay Gilbee for first goal from the wing using the swirling breeze.

Mantis
12-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Dogs to win by 31pts.

Don't care who gets the 1st goal or BOG I just want us to win.

Sedat
12-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Dogs by 123 points.
Lake BOG (for asking Barry Hall how things are going at home every 2 minutes until he snaps)
Lindsay Gilbee for first goal from the wing using the swirling breeze.
Lake (broken jaw) - season?

I'm not making any predictions this week. My prediction last week was 82 points out (although I did pick Griffen as BOG, and he was our best player).

Happy Days
12-09-2008, 06:47 PM
I always seem to tip the dogs and they always seem to lose.

With that in mind...

Swans by 182,
Hall to kick 21.5 and obtain BOG honours,
Gia to kick our first with 21 seconds left in the 4th.

That oughta do it :)

Twodogs
12-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Us by 26.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Dogs by 13.

Hard fought contest, nothing too convincing, but a win nonetheless and an improvement on last week.

Cooney for our first major.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Oh, and if Akermanis starts down back again, I'll probably assault the television.

Scraggers
12-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Geez I hope I'm wrong but ...

Bulldogs to go out in straight sets !!

Sydney by 31 points
Griffen first goal and B.O.G.

Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ...

Bumper Bulldogs
12-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Oh, and if Akermanis starts down back again, I'll probably assault the television.

Me too, but i will need to ask Rocket if he has lost it, Shouldn't take 6 weeks for a coach to smell the roses.

Dogs by 21

Big Will first goal

BOG Mitch
:)

Dry Rot
12-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Halftime and the alien bodysnatchers seem to have returned our players they abducted about 8 weeks ago.

GVGjr
13-09-2008, 12:18 AM
What a difference a week makes :) We we very good in the contested foot tonight and Gia's effort on Kirk was excellent.

Rocket Science
13-09-2008, 12:23 AM
So, where the hell was that form for the past eight weeks??

I jest, I jest...

Could not be prouder of the fellers...the result is obviously something to savour, but the way they went about it was equally, no actually more heartening. The individual and collective level of effort, and appetite for the contest, particularly when the game was still an armwrestle, against a team who typically thrives in such conditions, was a bloody joy (and a relief!) to witness.

Few if any weak links...everyone acquitted themselves with steel AND smarts, both with and without the footy. Whn it's obvious they're having a red hot go it's intoxicating footy to watch.

I almost couldn't care what transpires next week...we stood up in the face of a significant challenge, and we made a prelim...enjoy the week kids, I'm off to continue the pickling process in front of the Foxtel replay.

hujsh
13-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Much happier:)

Hudson looked somewhat better.

Minson was good.

Murph & Hahn had better second finals.

Tiller and Callan were very good IMO.

Not too happy with Aka in the back half but worked well tonight.

Got Gilbee tons of the ball. Nice coaching Rocket.

Cooney still a bit of a worry.

Higgins was close to a really good game.

Interchange free made me feel sick for a while. They break the rule and benefit twice

bornadog
13-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Dogs by 43 points running away;)

close:D

bornadog
13-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Swans by 15. Goodes BOG, Johnno to kick our first.

ye have no faith:D

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Whilst we have the biggest challenge ahead of us in footy next week, I feel at least the players will take some confidence going into the contest.

Not least of which the pressure will be off, as noone expects us to come close, and they can approach it in a go for broke manner. Furthermore tonights effort hopefully has shaken the confidence monkey off their backs.

I'm just really happy for the group to come through the other side of a brutal beating on the field and off it last week successfully and have restored some lost pride to the club and amongst themselves.

ledge
13-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Well wasnt Tiller a good choice in the end, im really really happy for Hill and Tiller and theyre games tonight, mmm who gets dropped if any ?
Would like to see Addison in if he is going well.
Didnt Higgins cop it tonight and stood up too great stuff

hujsh
13-09-2008, 12:52 AM
At least we can take more out of this year getting an extra game after tonights performance. Whatever happens I'll be happy with our season

GVGjr
13-09-2008, 12:53 AM
I have to agree Ledge. Tiller stuck to his guns and performed well. He's been in solid form for Williamstown and came into the side with a bit of confidence.

Higgins was vastly better than last week.

cinder
13-09-2008, 12:53 AM
I just got home.
What a game!!! Loved it!! Feel so much better. I don't even care if we are going to get killed next week. Very happy with tonight's performance.

bornadog
13-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Turning point in the match was when Johnno was knocked out, we got on top in that quarter with a couple of goals before half time and then did the business in the final two quarters.

We still ahve to do somnething about our skill levels, especially passing the ball. Eagle several times over kicked the ball and several players sent hospital passes to their teams mates instead of hitting them on the chest. Overall the contested footy and tackling tonight was excellent and we need to maintain it for next week.

hujsh
13-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Didnt Higgins cop it tonight and stood up too great stuff

He's certainly lost a few braincells in the last 2 weeks (as has Johnson while were on it)

bornadog
13-09-2008, 12:57 AM

Coped two bad hits tonight on top of the one from last week. I thought he did ok, and is starting to get some form.

Bulldog Revolution
13-09-2008, 01:00 AM
I have to agree Ledge. Tiller stuck to his guns and performed well. He's been in solid form for Williamstown and came into the side with a bit of confidence.

Tiller was terrific. Sure he made a mistake or two and still has a bit to learn but he attacked the game with gusto, backed himself and was rewarded.

All credit to the selectors

hujsh
13-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Coped two bad hits tonight on top of the one from last week. I thought he did ok, and is starting to get some form.

He gets his shot at goal that was taken off him, gets the one he misses in the pocket or gets hit by Eagle's pass when he was miles in the clear and it's a much better looking match

The Bulldogs Bite
13-09-2008, 01:11 AM
As previously said, where was this sort of form last week and for the previous 8 weeks? At times we made bad mistakes, but the attitude was considerably better. Players were prepared to work hard both ways, they applied a lot of pressure around the ball and ran hard to create space going forward. Still a few things that obviously need tinkering, but it was a big step back in the right direction - pleased with how they went about it tonight, much better.

Tiller & Callan were fantastic. I thought they really stood up to the occasion well and both one several hard fought contests. Tiller is at his best when he doesn't have time to think about it - when he acts on instincts, he plays much better. Callan was terrific, his best game for the club by a mile. His work in the contested situations was great, he really put his body in and shoveled the ball out numerous times. He actually gave us a bit of drive off half back too.

Hill could be anything. He has a lot of potential, but he's still raw. On a few occasions he made mistakes ie. slipping over & running too far, but he has a good attitude to the game. At crucial times in the third quarter he booted two goals and took a few strong grabs. He's a wild card up forward - for now, it's his best position. Though, his bit of play to set up the Brian Lake goal was very impressive too. 2 goals, 2 points and 2 assists I read - that's a good effort. If he can continue to improve, he's going to be a seriously good player.

Hahn was brilliant. That's exactly the type of game we need him to play in Finals. He was tireless in his efforts to keep the ball alive and even that smother in the dying seconds of the final quarter was terrific. His robust style continually keeps the ball moving forwards and we're a 5+ goal better side when he's up and about. Apparently he had 11 or something contested possessions? Great stuff.

Griffen is a born leader. His decision making is bold but it's generally spot on - his run and carry is phenomenal and that goal he kicked was an absolute beauty. I've been incredibly impressed with Griff's two finals performances this year - he really steps up to the occasion and back in '06 against Collingwood, he was very good too. He's got future captain material written all over him, he's got the abiltiy to play the inside game (10 contested possessions) and is a class act in open space.

Murphy was very good too, he really tore Sydney apart across half forward and his ball use was very clever. He's an integral part of our side because he's continually leading to the ball in a positive manner with real purpose. His ability to swing around on either foot and spot up targets quickly is very damaging too. I thought it was Murph's best game for quite a while.

Boydy was pretty good too, glad to see him get back to the high possessions he was earning earlier in the year. After last week, he really needed to. Johnson was brave but I cringe every time he wonders down to the back half. Gilbee was very prominent from half back and Minson showed a bit up forward too. Cooney was quiet and Aker a little disappointing, but hopefully they're able to turn it around next week. Eagleton stepped up when we needed him to - pleased with his game. I thought Gia was pretty ordinary today whilst Higgins really put in and found some good touch. Hargrave did a fine job on O'Keefe and Lake was solid - Hall got an easy one after Aker dropped the ball in the last.

Overall, a much better performance. It actually looked like we LEARNT from last week. The players knew what they had to do and they stuck to the task. Eventually - we ran over the top of them. It was pleasing to see a bit of spirit too, I thought Hahn/Minson really sparked us with a bit of aggression and passion.

Still some ways to go as I said, but we've got to be pretty happy with the way they went about it tonight. The pressure's all on Geelong next week - we've got a 'free hit'.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-09-2008, 01:14 AM

The best thing from this game for me were the efforts of a few players who had their colours lowered terribly last week, in particular Boydy, Minson, Hahn, Callan, Higgins, Hudson and Murph.

In addition the performance of Tiller as mentioned by a few here was fantastic. For a guy with only 14 or 15 games to his name to come in for his first finals game, against a very physical team and acquit himself so well was very pleasing to see and would've done wonders for his belief in his ability to play at the highest level.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-09-2008, 01:16 AM
He gets his shot at goal that was taken off him, gets the one he misses in the pocket or gets hit by Eagle's pass when he was miles in the clear and it's a much better looking match

In terms of character I thought Missy really grew in stature tonight. He took some heavy hits, but kept getting back up. I also thought he chased alot better than I've seen him, and also blocked his opponents to the advantage of our other marking forward in the contest a couple of times.
He can really use this experience as a platform to reach the next level in his development.

Scraggers
13-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Geez I hope I'm wrong but ...

Bulldogs to go out in straight sets !!

Sydney by 31 points
Griffen first goal and B.O.G.

Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ... Please be wrong ...

I was wrong ... I was sooooo wrong !!

You Beauty ...

Glad my footy tipping sux and the Bulldogs don't !!

The Bulldogs Bite
13-09-2008, 01:22 AM
In terms of character I thought Missy really grew in stature tonight. He took some heavy hits, but kept getting back up. I also thought he chased alot better than I've seen him, and also blocked his opponents to the advantage of our other marking forward in the contest a couple of times.
He can really use this experience as a platform to reach the next level in his development.

I agree wholeheartedly - it was a big step in Higgins' development as a footballer. His decision making was spot on and his reading of the play/moving to the right position was good to see. I've been critical of his defensive efforts in the past, but they were pretty solid tonight - better than they've ever been.

Hudson played his best game for the second half of the year, too.

Sedat
13-09-2008, 01:30 AM
I just got home.
What a game!!! Loved it!! Feel so much better. I don't even care if we are going to get killed next week. Very happy with tonight's performance.
I do. We made some great progress tonight and I expect our club to back that effort up next week with the same appetite for contested football, win or lose.

Go_Dogs
13-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Overall very pleasing effort.

Griffen and Gilbee really got us going early. The work on Griff stepped up a bit after that, but he was still pretty solid and Gilbee was a pretty good contributor all night.

As others have mentioned Tiller and Callan were excellent. I think between them they made about 2 mistakes for the night, and did all the hard, team things that often go unnoticed well.

Johnno was fantastic. Really threw everything at it, like he should be, as it might be one of the last genuine opportunities he has at a flag.

Murphy, Hahn, Welsh, Harbrow all did their jobs well up forward.

Minson was great. Really took the game on and had an influence on the game. Couple of big marks up forward were great. Hudson was good too, really a big help when he's getting involved in the middle.

Hill is a superstar in the making. Once he gets some more size, and if he keeps working hard, he'll be a gun utility.

Higgins was good when he had to be. Geez, he takes some hits. Thought he was going to go off, but willed himself through which was pleasing to see.

Cooney did enough without being great, dropped a few easy marks, which if he'd taken and converted could have easily swung him back into form. He's on the verge I feel, which is good coming into next week.

Overall, very happy.

Let's bring it to Geelong this week.

hujsh
13-09-2008, 01:53 AM
One moment that really impressed me was when Richards stood over the ball to block Tiller and Tiller took his time and bodied Richards out of the way with finesse and won the ball.

Often frees are given away for holding the man or doing something else stupid in those situations.

Bulldog Revolution
13-09-2008, 10:06 AM

Higgins seems to have a head that opposition players like to hit - I get the feeling he might be a bit talkative

What was he taken off for in the last quarter?

He obviously wasn't too serious given he chaired Robert Murphy off

mighty_west
13-09-2008, 11:36 AM
I think Tiller shut up a few of his critics last night, and it was awesome to see, played his best game at the club, was hard at it, good at the contest, 2 things Farren could only dream of.

But alot of players played well, Minson was a force, providing a target up forward, did a good job in the ruck, and looked as mobile around the ground as he has ever looked.

Hudson was just about back to his best, Griffen is just a gun, a delight to watch, Shaggy owned O'Keefe, Boyd is going into hospital today for leather poisoning, Morris was awesome, Mitch also turned his game around from last week, was extremely hard at it, Timmy Callan, what a pick up, Hill & Higgo finding form which is great to see.

Next week, Geelong, who knows, anything is possible, miracles can happen, right?

GVGjr
13-09-2008, 12:00 PM
I think Tiller shut up a few of his critics last night, and it was awesome to see, played his best game at the club, was hard at it, good at the contest, 2 things Farren could only dream of.

I know you get to a lot of Williamstown games and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how you think he has progressed this year?

FWIW, I was skeptical at the start of the season with Tiller because I thought he was a classic 'tweener' but he was won me over. He's not ready to match it with the likes of Fev but as a HBF and occasional forward, he can gain plenty of senior experience in the next season or two.

Mantis
13-09-2008, 01:05 PM
For me the best thing about last night's win was that we had to work for it. We had to play some un-natural footy to us for a long time til we got our mojo back. We had to play Sydney-like footy, we had to get our hands dirty, we had to play messy footy for large chunks of the game.

But when it clicked it was like the Bullogs of old, we starting running, we started hitting targets and we started to get our confidence back.

If last night's victory had come on the back of an 8 goal first qtr I don't think it would have as rewarding. We really had to dig deep and for me that make's it more special.

Topdog
13-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Was a great win. At the game last night I thought Tiller played pretty well and after watching the replay on Fox Sports I now think he played fantasticly.

Cooney played better than I gave him credit for last night and Griffen is just a gun.

dog town
14-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Its funny but everyone I talk to thought we were gone at half time. I think alot of doggies supporters would have been pretty confident at half time. I know I thought we had the better of the first half and it was only a matter of time before things burst open.

I think we worked them over physically in the first half and thats what allowed us to run all over them in the second half. We did not get the rewards for our work but we were smashing them at there own game. I was very happy with our work inside the contest. We beat them for contested ball, tackles, hard ball gets and clearances. The game was billed as our run and carry versus there contested footy but in reality it was always going to be our contested footy versus there contested footy. We had to beat them at there own game and we did.

Our ability to shut down Sydneys run was very good. It was probably the most accountable bulldogs side I can remember watching. We chopped off the easy outlet pass and Sydney dont really like giving up the ball once they get it.

Cooney went forward for much of the game to drag McVeigh out of the game. This was a pretty good tactic from Rocket who had a much better day in the box than the week before.

Hargrave was very good again. Should be close to top 5 in the best and fairest and continued that form.

Lake was better than his opponents stats would indicate but Lakey always coughs up those easy goals.

Hill is fast becoming a match winner. Its hard to gauge how good he could be but for the moment he has become a pretty versatile player who has enough quality to have a big say in games. For a second year player that is outstanding.

Harbrow has a bit more confidence by foot these days. He has become better at spotting up short targets and switching the ball into the middle. When he started he generally just kicked it our way without a great deal of thought. His chasing and tackling continue to be important for us.

Murphy had a welcome return to form for us. He seemed to be starting a bit deeper than he has been which worked well for him. Starting about 40 out which gave him a bit more space. Bevan was never the right match up for him.

We rotated 3 or 4 players through Kirk which overwhelmed him a bit I thought. Guido, Crossy and Griff all had time with him and kept him out of the game.

Hahn still looks injured but did his usual bullocking, smothering, tackling etc.

I really like the hardness Timmy Callan brings to the side. We are a better unit when he is playing IMO.

Eagleton didn't impress me that much. Did like the way he got a few cheap kicks from quick handballs after free kicks. Realistically he is a good user by foot so we want him doing that as much as possible. Having a left foot also opens up the play.

Minson was pretty good in bursts. I thought a few were a bit harsh on him last week. Tried his guts out against the hawks and got some rewards this week.

Good to see Higgins return to some form. He just worked a bit harder.

Go_Dogs
14-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Its funny but everyone I talk to thought we were gone at half time. I think alot of doggies supporters would have been pretty confident at half time. I know I thought we had the better of the first half and it was only a matter of time before things burst open.

Spot on. It was just like early in the season, where it wasn't a matter of if we'll run over them, but when. I was very confident of a blow out at half time.

Scorlibo
14-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Spot on. It was just like early in the season, where it wasn't a matter of if we'll run over them, but when. I was very confident of a blow out at half time.

Same. I felt as though we could have had a 20 point lead at the half if it weren't for the umpiring in the second quarter - it was beyond bad, it was bizarre.

Twodogs
14-09-2008, 01:04 PM

Interesting comment. Nearly all of the desperados I deigned to speak to at half time were of the same opinion as me-that we'd done enough in the 10-15 minutes just before half time to come and break the game open in the third quarter.*

*of course now someone will come up with a text I sent them at half time and have forgotten about since contradicting what I just said.

Mantis
14-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Lake was better than his opponents stats would indicate but Lakey always coughs up those easy goals.

Can't agree with that. He just seems to get lost on the lead, have gave Hall for too much latitude.

Good to see Higgins return to some form. He just worked a bit harder.

Did work harder, but still lacked the polish we have seen from him in the past.

Raw Toast
14-09-2008, 04:22 PM

I was pretty pleased with the first half - a few things hadn't gone our way and the umpiring seemed shocking (even worse than usual!), but as I said to underdog at the facilities, our fundamentals were in place, and I was confident that if we kept smashing them in close we would break them open sooner or later. I was glad it was sooner.

I really liked the way we didn't rush and force our ball movement when the Swans had us locked down. We were patient enough to move slowly with precision until some space opened up, and once we went man-on-man our forward line started functioning better. Our forward defensive pressure was clearly much better, and when we did take risks moving the ball forward they were generally calculated rather than suicidal. Johnson's pass out ahead to Gia in the third that set up Griffen's goal was glorious.

I really like the hardness Timmy Callan brings to the side. We are a better unit when he is playing IMO.

Callan was a bit of a revelation for me. I already appreciated his hardness, but he read the play superbly I thought, breaking up a number of attacks at crucial times, and he was then generally able to move the ball with confidence, vision and precision, none of which I had really associated with him. It was a stand-out game for him, and though he only had twelve or so possies, I thought he was one of our most important players on the night.

Shaggy was very good - Goodes looked like he was going to take him apart early, and I'm glad Eade made the quick shift with Morris. But then Shaggy just dismantled O'Keefe (who is one of my favourite players), and even made O'Keefe look a bit slow and soft on occassions. Personally, I'd think long and hard about starting Hargrave on Steve Johnson. Geelong go to Johnson so much and use him a bit like O'Keefe, which means Hargrave would be in the game a fair bit, which could be good for us. He's the right height, a big challenge, and it would free up Morris (who was smashed by Johnson last time) and give us some more flexibility.

One of the things I like most about Hill, is that he is usually super-clean in his handling of the ball. He demonstrated this when setting up Lake's goal, and his sure hands have helped steady us a few times this year.

Eagleton didn't impress me that much either, but we can't replace his elite running at the moment, and at least his intensity was clearly up. We still rely heaps on gut running, and Eagle is still one of our best runners, even if he's lost a bit of speed and has been losing his head in traffic (and chooses when to go, lacks enough defensive pressure etc). He's playing for his career at the moment, and I think there were a few signs that he could be an important contributor next week. At least he wasn't awful.

Minson might still become a player, and even a valuable part time forward (like Ottens or Salmon). He has been dropping those marks, but took two bigs ones in a row, and is a better than even chance when the ball is kicked to his advantage. He and Murphy are fairly close, and Murphy is very good at putting it up in just the right position for him. Minson's game is also made for finals footy, and it was great to see him impose himself on the game and take them on. That said, his first shot at goal was a long way out and Gilbee was there for the hand-pass, which I would have liked to see given. One of the key challenges for us against Geelong will be how we use Minson if someone like Scarlett or Milburn is put on him and plays 15-20m ahead of him, giving him no respect.

Can't agree with that. He [Lake] just seems to get lost on the lead, have gave Hall for too much latitude.

I thought Lake was decent in the first half and impressive in the second. He wasn't giving Hall nearly as much space as he gave Roughead, and generally beat him in the one-out contests. I'd like to see him play on Mooney when he is deep, with possibly Morris on Mooney when he is roaming far and wide.

dog town
14-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Can't agree with that. He just seems to get lost on the lead, have gave Hall for too much latitude.

. Yeah he gave him a bit of space but he also did some very good things. Lake is not going to go with many guys on the lead because he is just not that type of athlete. What he did do was push Hall a long way from goal and contested everything inside 50. Hall got 2 goals when the game was over but Lake had done reasonably well. Played to his strengths I thought and helped out the other defenders where he could.

Twodogs
14-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah he gave him a bit of space but he also did some very good things. Lake is not going to go with many guys on the lead because he is just not that type of athlete. What he did do was push Hall a long way from goal and contested everything inside 50. Hall got 2 goals when the game was over but Lake had done reasonably well. Played to his strengths I thought and helped out the other defenders where he could.

Agree. I thought that Lake was really clever. Constantly herded Hall beyond his range and then let him take the ball when he wasnt in a position to hurt us.

Mantis
14-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Yeah he gave him a bit of space but he also did some very good things. Lake is not going to go with many guys on the lead because he is just not that type of athlete. What he did do was push Hall a long way from goal and contested everything inside 50. Hall got 2 goals when the game was over but Lake had done reasonably well. Played to his strengths I thought and helped out the other defenders where he could.

You're probably right. I watched the game again this afternoon and Lake's game was better on tape than how I remembered it (the beer didn't help this).

I agree that he allowed Hall space in non-threatening positions against the Swans, whose forwardline wasn't really threatening, different story this week.

bornadog
15-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Minson might still become a player, and even a valuable part time forward (like Ottens or Salmon). He has been dropping those marks, but took two bigs ones in a row, and is a better than even chance when the ball is kicked to his advantage. .

I got to the ground early and Minson was out there practising marking in the ball near the goal square. The ball was being kicked to him, and he was jumping and marking it. Up the other end Higgins and Callen were having a kick to kick. There was no one else on the ground.

dog town
15-09-2008, 11:09 AM
I really liked the way we didn't rush and force our ball movement when the Swans had us locked down. We were patient enough to move slowly with precision until some space opened up, and once we went man-on-man our forward line started functioning better. Our forward defensive pressure was clearly much better, and when we did take risks moving the ball forward they were generally calculated rather than suicidal. Johnson's pass out ahead to Gia in the third that set up Griffen's goal was glorious.

. We had a little passage in the second quarter where the swans had slowed the play down which we handled brilliantly. We almost played it like the swans used to. We had 4 or 5 lead up marks in a row. Johnson got on the end of 1 and Murphy had 2 in the space of 3 marks such was his work rate.

Callan was a bit of a revelation for me. I already appreciated his hardness, but he read the play superbly I thought, breaking up a number of attacks at crucial times, and he was then generally able to move the ball with confidence, vision and precision, none of which I had really associated with him. It was a stand-out game for him, and though he only had twelve or so possies, I thought he was one of our most important players on the night.

. He has brought that ability to leave his man over with him from Geelong. We have played him on alot of smaller types and he has done ok but some of his better games have been on guys more his size and ability. In those games he has been able to help out his mates alot by chopping off leads. He has that rare bravery where you almost gasp when he goes back with the flight.

Shaggy was very good - Goodes looked like he was going to take him apart early, and I'm glad Eade made the quick shift with Morris. But then Shaggy just dismantled O'Keefe (who is one of my favourite players), and even made O'Keefe look a bit slow and soft on occassions. Personally, I'd think long and hard about starting Hargrave on Steve Johnson. Geelong go to Johnson so much and use him a bit like O'Keefe, which means Hargrave would be in the game a fair bit, which could be good for us. He's the right height, a big challenge, and it would free up Morris (who was smashed by Johnson last time) and give us some more flexibility.

. Been a revelation himself. Always liked him as a player but this season he has taken it a step further. He is just so reliable now.With that reliability comes the responsibility of getting big tasks week in and week out. I think he probably will go to Johnson. His work rate is similar to O'Keefe so we know Shaggy can handle that aspect. Johnson has a few more tricks so its a big ask. The biggest thing with Johnson is he will work you right up the ground then charge back towards goal. He gets alot of goals and touches running back towards his own goal. Playing on alot of small crumbing players this year will prepare Hargy well for that aspect.

Twodogs
15-09-2008, 11:29 AM
You're probably right. I watched the game again this afternoon and Lake's game was better on tape than how I remembered it (the beer didn't help this).

I agree that he allowed Hall space in non-threatening positions against the Swans, whose forwardline wasn't really threatening, different story this week.

It wasnt the sort of game he could have played if O'Lochlan had been in the team. Micky O tends to draw players to him and then Hall just turns his opponent around and runs back into the empty forward line. He didnt get that opportunity on friday night because Brian just kept corralling him down the ground.

I thought it was Brians best game for a very long time.