PDA

View Full Version : Has time caught up with older players faster than we thought?

Dry Rot
20-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Perhaps they were all carrying injuries, but it looked to me that time has caught up with Johnno, Aker, Welsh, Hudson and Eagleton for the last half of the season.

What can we expect from them next season?

bulldogtragic
20-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Johno is looking very average for me.

Aker has at most two years.

Welsh and Eagleton maybe one more.

Interesting times for trading.

Topdog
20-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Johnno to fight back.
Aker to play well in his last year.
Welsh to be playing for Willi.
Hudson probably needs more rest next year. He was still great last week and is by no means too old.
Eagleton is a scapegoat. Good depth player and no where near our worst last night.

Am I alone in thinking that Aker was good last night. Ablett was no where near Geelongs best.

strebla
20-09-2008, 12:17 PM
I think Johno has been carrying an injury most of the last half of the year better in a smaller role next year
aker ever since Darwin he has not been the same player will be better next year
Ego the game has cought up to him goodbye
Welsh still kicked forty and job done in and out next year i feel

strebla
20-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Johnno to fight back.
Aker to play well in his last year.
Welsh to be playing for Willi.
Hudson probably needs more rest next year. He was still great last week and is by no means too old.
Eagleton is a scapegoat. Good depth player and no where near our worst last night.

Am I alone in thinking that Aker was good last night. Ablett was no where near Geelongs best.

Aker was good but we needed a little more up forward last night and right on the mark with Hudson he looked tired last night

G-Mo77
20-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I thought Johhno had a real ordinary couple of games but put together some good games and was one of our better players towards the end of the year same with Aker. When your that good anything less seems "Average" :rolleyes:

Welsh was ordinary all finals unfortunatly, Hudson wasn't great either but he still has a lot to give.

Eagleton is frustrating but will probably kick on for another year.

Dry Rot
20-09-2008, 12:23 PM
To me, they all seem to be decline, and therefore logically their 2009 seasons will be worse than 2008.

cinder
20-09-2008, 12:38 PM
The thing was Johnno is, he's obviously got a few niggling injuries and is just wrecked after such a full on season, but the point is he's out there and he's playing, and he always no matter what gives his absolute all.
Full credit to him, he's such a courageous player and inspirational captain. Happy for him to play on as long as he likes.

Mofra
20-09-2008, 01:00 PM
I think Welsh is on borrowed time. He has been terrible for two months except for the Swans game, and offered us nothing during the finals we can hang our hat on.

He'd want a big pre-season, even if Skipper is earmarked as purely a back-up ruckman. J.Grant may find himself as a skinny, barely developed FF for 22 H&A games next year plus finals given our lack of alternatives.

Topdog
20-09-2008, 01:18 PM
To me, they all seem to be decline, and therefore logically their 2009 seasons will be worse than 2008.

Wouldn't many have said the same about Aker last year?

Dry Rot
20-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Wouldn't many have said the same about Aker last year?

Yes, but he was injured. IMO we've seen his best in Dog's colours this season.

Time has affected the pace of Eagleton, Acker and Johnno, and this won't improve next year.

Rocket Science
20-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Eagleton is a scapegoat.

Scapegoat you say?

This is an exerpt from the 2008 AFL Prospectus, which is admittedly written from somewhat of a fantasy perspective, but is still highly illuminating:

"Eagleton remains one of the most outside players in the competition, winning fewer than 20% of his possessions in a contest for the 2nd season in a row. He averaged more than 20 disposals for the first time in his career, however his kicking which is perceived as very good, let him down. At his peak in 2003 he hit the target an elite 87% of the time, however since then it has been on a steady decline, hitting an all-time low of 73% in 2007 - a disappointing result considering how much of his footy is won uncontested.

For the 4th season in a row he led the Dogs for inside-50's, however the team retained possession only 51% of the time from an Eagleton inside-50 - 7% below the Dogs' average and ranked as the 5th worst amongst Bulldogs to have more than 10 inside-50's. His 27 clanger kicks were the 2nd most at the club and equal 15th most in the competition. Another feature of his game that looks to be on the wane is his impact on the scoreboard. His 13 goals in 2007 was his lowest tally since 2002."

One year on, what's changed exactly?

This isn't about the result last night, this is big picture stuff, and likewise isn't about the man, or his character...This also isn't about a crook game or quarter here and there, this purely about what he does and doesn't contribute to the on-field endeavours of this football club. Eagleton routinely registers performances that would see a kid banished back to the VFL, yet we persist, and persist.

He is a bona fide, 24 carat, rolled gold liability as a footballer and if we're fair dinkum about making greater strides he simply has to go, or be prepared to see out his time strictly as an emergency call-up. Quality sides don't, and can't for that matter, carry passengers. That goes for Nathan Eagleton just as much as it goes for Peter Street.

Thank god we've got the likes of Ward, Reid and O'Keefe coming on.

Bulldog Revolution
20-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Yes, but he was injured. IMO we've seen his best in Dog's colours this season.

Time has affected the pace of Eagleton, Acker and Johnno, and this won't improve next year.

Whilst we are judging all those players I think its worth noting that they all play far less central roles in our team than many others. And while doing that Johnson and Aker still kicked almost 100 goals between them.

Johson was far less the main focus up forward and Aker accepted defensive roles when that was what the team needed from him. These two are champions of the game and should not be too quickly dismissed.

We need to plan our way forward in the cold light of day - but we have a VFL prelim to win today and we need to focus on that

Topdog
20-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Scapegoat you say?

This is an exerpt from the 2008 AFL Prospectus, which is admittedly written from somewhat of a fantasy perspective, but is still highly illuminating:

"Eagleton remains one of the most outside players in the competition, winning fewer than 20% of his possessions in a contest for the 2nd season in a row. He averaged more than 20 disposals for the first time in his career, however his kicking which is perceived as very good, let him down. At his peak in 2003 he hit the target an elite 87% of the time, however since then it has been on a steady decline, hitting an all-time low of 73% in 2007 - a disappointing result considering how much of his footy is won uncontested.

For the 4th season in a row he led the Dogs for inside-50's, however the team retained possession only 51% of the time from an Eagleton inside-50 - 7% below the Dogs' average and ranked as the 5th worst amongst Bulldogs to have more than 10 inside-50's. His 27 clanger kicks were the 2nd most at the club and equal 15th most in the competition. Another feature of his game that looks to be on the wane is his impact on the scoreboard. His 13 goals in 2007 was his lowest tally since 2002."

One year on, what's changed exactly?

This isn't about the result last night, this is big picture stuff, and likewise isn't about the man, or his character...This also isn't about a crook game or quarter here and there, this purely about what he does and doesn't contribute to the on-field endeavours of this football club. Eagleton routinely registers performances that would see a kid banished back to the VFL, yet we persist, and persist.

He is a bona fide, 24 carat, rolled gold liability as a footballer and if we're fair dinkum about making greater strides he simply has to go, or be prepared to see out his time strictly as an emergency call-up. Quality sides don't, and can't for that matter, carry passengers. That goes for Nathan Eagleton just as much as it goes for Peter Street.

Thank god we've got the likes of Ward, Reid and O'Keefe coming on.

So you agree with me, he is a good depth player.

LostDoggy
20-09-2008, 02:23 PM
won't have any of it...all senior players with exception of Eagleton should go on!! Westy deserves to run around until he says he's had enough!! Champs go out on thier terms!!

Rocket Science
20-09-2008, 02:34 PM
So you agree with me, he is a good depth player.

Can we agree to delete the word "good"?

He's a warm body, nothing more...a la Skipper and his extra year.

strebla
20-09-2008, 04:57 PM
won't have any of it...all senior players with exception of eagleton should go on!! Westy deserves to run around until he says he's had enough!! Champs go out on thier terms!!

Here here well said brother

Happy Days
20-09-2008, 06:25 PM
All I know is Eagleton is more-or-less in the team for his kicking, and his kicking was woeful last night, so he might have done his dash.

And as far as Aker is concerned, he played 0 good games last year, 11 this year, so hes on track for 22 in 09 :D

The Bulldogs Bite
20-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Perhaps they were all carrying injuries, but it looked to me that time has caught up with Johnno, Aker, Welsh, Hudson and Eagleton for the last half of the season.

What can we expect from them next season?

Johnson's decline has been rapid. He's very slow, and although injuries hamper this, I think it's got a lot more to do with his age. He's on the ground often, doesn't hold his marks and continually makes skill errors. 09 will be his last IMO - and he'll play as a deep forward, because he's no midfielder/half forward. He's too slow, his skills/decision making are average and he's not creative. It's FP for 09.

Aker will still play some good football next year, but I do think he's losing pace quickly. He's not dynamic anymore. His ball use is sublime but because he's lost his pace, I think his days of being a midfielder are restricted. He'll still be able to play parts in there, but I would think he has to play mainly up forward. Not down back, not on a wing.

Welsh is an interesting one, and I suspect he'll be a game by game proposition. If he plays like he has the last few months, he'll be playing at Williamstown. However, he did a decent job of negating Scarlett last night. Problem is, he gave us nothing as an actual 'forward'.

Hudson's hard to gauge. He'll have to be monitored a little better next year, missing a few games here and there so that he doesn't completely burn out. Probably only see him having one year left, maybe two - it all comes down to how we manage him though. He'll still be handy so long as he has the intensity at the contest.

Eagleton is gone; ball use, as displayed last night, has past him. Serviceable player over the years but he needs to be cut.

LostDoggy
20-09-2008, 06:56 PM
aka was good.
he played alot holding back Ablett, and he had him moving back under pressure nearly everytime he got the ball

The Coon Dog
20-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Johnson's decline has been rapid. He's very slow, and although injuries hamper this, I think it's got a lot more to do with his age. He's on the ground often, doesn't hold his marks and continually makes skill errors. 09 will be his last IMO - and he'll play as a deep forward, because he's no midfielder/half forward. He's too slow, his skills/decision making are average and he's not creative. It's FP for 09.

Got me thinking about something Rocket mentioned last year, as he felt that too.

* Wants Will to play forward too. Needs to take pressure off Johnno to do it all himself. Concerned Johnno could burn out & fall off the cliff quite quickly.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Got me thinking about something Rocket mentioned last year, as he felt that too.

I remember you mentioning that TCD.

At this stage you'd have to say that call is spot on.

LostDoggy
20-09-2008, 09:01 PM
West, Johnson and Aker are champions, even at half pace they are good enough.

LostDoggy
20-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Johnson's decline rapid? Firstly kicking 50 goals is not much of a decline. He isn't the player he was last year but he is far from finished, get him fit and a tall foward alongside him and see how he goes.

phroosh
20-09-2008, 11:21 PM
I agree that Eagleton might have done his dash, but feel all the others are still players we need, even putting aside sentiment, of which there is a fair bit of when it comes to Johnno. As Ernie just mentioned, Johnno would probably benefit from a good tall forward (can anyone find a "Good Tall Forward Tree?) and I feel the same would go for Welsh. I'm a big fan of Will, but he just doesn't move to space like bigger forwards should. Ruck/Rest in square for him.

Hudson may need to be managed, but I think he had a good year. Playing with niggles, along with half the side it seems...