PDA

View Full Version : Williamstown vs Port Melbourne prelim

LostDoggy
20-09-2008, 05:06 PM
The umpiring is so pro Port its not funny. How can the justify a Port prelim at TEAC Oval?

bulldogtragic
20-09-2008, 05:07 PM
The umpiring is so pro Port its not funny. How can the justify a Port prelim at TEAC Oval?
Easy. There's not enough pressure or scrutiny...

The Pie Man
20-09-2008, 05:14 PM
weird game - Stretton turn over from his bungled bounce a big turning point

Was going to ask who from last night would be elligible for next Friday's GF at half time given the 4 goal margin with the win in the last quarter - they can still win from here but what a woeful 3rd stanza

LostDoggy
20-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Tiller and Harbrow were mentioned.

hujsh
20-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Is it over? Who won?
never mind remembered it's on telle

bulldogtragic
20-09-2008, 05:17 PM
How did the willi ressies go?

bulldogtragic
20-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Is it over? Who won?
Last quarter.

Watch the ABC if you can and you are in Vic.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2008, 05:24 PM
BIG HIT!!!

Don't good hits like that anymore!!!

LostDoggy
20-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Looking bad for Williamstown.
The pro Port umpiring caused the dirty stuff in the game.

Problem for Willy is they same at the Bulldogs. No tall marking forwards that you can rely on in finals. Duds like Street don't help either I suppose.

LostDoggy
20-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Port 35 points up. 15 min mark last. will be long qtr.
Williamstown look out of legs.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Port 35 points up. 15 min mark.
Williamstown look out of legs.
I guess the players wanted simultaneous mad mondays...

ledge
20-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know if we won reserves flag?

hujsh
20-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Everitt looked much better.

Loved Wards run through the middle.

Hit looked mad in real time

LostDoggy
20-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Does anyone know if we won reserves flag?

Yeah we did :D

They mentioned it during the coverage @ the start i believe

From what i remember it was about a 112-83 win

bornadog
20-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Williamstown 4.7 6.9 13.14 16.17 (113)
Box Hill Hawks 3.1 6.6 9.9 11.16 (82)

GOALS:
Williamstown: Galea 5 Boumann 3 Jenkins 2 Georgiadis 2 Black Boyd Beaumont Barling

BEST:
Williamstown: Beaumont Barling O'Shea Galea Cartelli Georgiadis

comrade
20-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Surprised no one has put up a report. How did Boumann, O'Shea, Mulligan, etc go?

GVGjr
20-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Surprised no one has put up a report. How did Boumann, O'Shea, Mulligan, etc go?

With it being on TV I didn't see the need. Most of the Bulldogs guys in the 2nds were quiet. Boumann did OK in patches.

Happy Days
20-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Here's the wrap-up from the firsts...comiserations to the boys, but they really should've won this one.

Second Preliminary Final TEAC Oval
2:10 PM Sat 20/Sep

Port Melbourne 16.21-117

def.

Williamstown 13.18-96

Port Melbourne
Goal Kickers: A. Bonaddio 4, L. Cotchett 2, J. Mullins 2, D. Pitt, J. Baird, T. Pinwill, J. Dalton, S. Dwyer, D. Fanning, R. Nahas, C. Cain
Best Players: R. McMahon, T. Pinwill, A. Bonaddio, S. Pleming, D. Fanning, M. Smith

Williamstown
Goal Kickers: P. Rose 5, M. Little 2, S. Greene, C. Urch, C. Wight, B. Jolley, L. Picken, C. Ward
Best Players: J. Cloke, C. Lockwood, C. Ward, P. Rose, K. McKenzie, A. Everitt

From http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=37220839&c=0-118-0-67835-0&pool=1001

hujsh
20-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Didn't sound like Ward was that good

bornadog
20-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Did Ray play? I only watched the last quarter and he didn't seem to be on the field

mjp
21-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Being in Melbourne for the weekend, I headed along. 90% of the crowd were Port supporters...an incredibly strong breeze was blowing towards the city end (Port had it first).

I thought it was a pretty enjoyable game, with Port just being a little more organised for all but 15 minutes in the 2nd quarter. Port's efforts into the breeze in the last were nothing short of outstanding...they kicked more goals to that end in the last than had been kicked there for the rest of the day.

Not much to write about from a dogs perspective, but I thought Ward was outstanding - his efforts in the second in particular probably led to 5 or 6 goals - his foot skills an absolute standout. I thought that Cam Lockwood again showed he should be on an AFL list...played in front, attacked the ball and held firm under pressure. Street and Skipper very disappointing. Ray very disappointing. Reid, Wood etc - only kids and not really ready for senior finals based on what I saw today.

LostDoggy
21-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Skipper .... woeful, cant believe he has been given another contract at the dogs. All of his supporters should have watched him yesterday. He is not up to big game football and if he actually makes it back into the Bulldogs line-up ..... it will mean we are at the lower end of the ladder.

Ray ...... must have fallen in rabbit burrow in the 2nd half ... didnt spot him at all. I hope we can include him in a trade for a tall forward player for the Bulldogs as he wont be missed. His spot can be filled by Callen Ward.

Everitt ...... looked good and should come through next year after the 2nd year blues this season.

Bulldog Revolution
21-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Disappointed they lost, was looking forward to friday night at the dome

I thought that Cam Lockwood again showed he should be on an AFL list...played in front, attacked the ball and held firm under pressure.

Lockwood was very good the week before also against Port, was strong over the ball, and made good decisions every time he got it, played as a backpocket and I think was responsible for a dangerous frankston player

W W Biscuit
21-09-2008, 11:05 AM
How do we blow a four goal half time lead against a non-affiliated bunch of no-names, kicking with a cyclone in the last quarter? Yes, I know that Port finished on top and are a good team, but I expected so much more from our boys in this match. If they were going anywhere, career-wise, players like Street, Wight, Ray and Skipper should be tearing the hearts out of teams like Port. Okay, time for my pills.

GVGjr
21-09-2008, 11:09 AM
I have a new found appreciation for Gary Ayers as a coach. He really has done a great job with Port and I think some teams should look to getting him back into the AFL as a 2IC.

It was a frustrating game to watch especially after getting such a good lead at half time. Port adjusted to the situation of the game and the conditions and just wore Williamstown down.

LostDoggy
21-09-2008, 12:07 PM
How do we blow a four goal half time lead against a non-affiliated bunch of no-names, kicking with a cyclone in the last quarter? Yes, I know that Port finished on top and are a good team, but I expected so much more from our boys in this match. If they were going anywhere, career-wise, players like Street, Wight, Ray and Skipper should be tearing the hearts out of teams like Port. Okay, time for my pills.

I think you answered your own question. The ones above had little or no influence.

LostDoggy
21-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Ray ...... must have fallen in rabbit burrow in the 2nd half ... didnt spot him at all. I hope we can include him in a trade for a tall forward player for the Bulldogs as he wont be missed. His spot can be filled by Callen Ward.

Farren was getting his knee taped during the 3qtr time break, heaps of tape on there as well.

Im not a huge fan of Farrens, in fact i cant stand him, but if we keep him on next year then I really hope he can show all the talent he has.

Bulldog4life
21-09-2008, 02:06 PM

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Besides the Grand Final this year, does anyone on this board know exactly why the finals are played at Port?

FrediKanoute
21-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Did Ray play? I only watched the last quarter and he didn't seem to be on the field

He was on the field but I don't recall him gettng a possession on the 3 quarters that I watched. He was wearing No.75

bulldogtragic
21-09-2008, 03:25 PM
He was on the field but I don't recall him gettng a possession on the 3 quarters that I watched. He was wearing No.75
Ray sustained a minor knee injury.

Bulldog Revolution
21-09-2008, 03:44 PM
I have a new found appreciation for Gary Ayers as a coach. He really has done a great job with Port and I think some teams should look to getting him back into the AFL as a 2IC.

He's done a very good job with Port, and it will be interesting to see whether someone takes a punt on one of the finest heads of hair the vfl/afl has ever seen

I would have thought given Freo and the Eagles are looking to bolster their ranks he might fit with one of those two, do you think Eade would look at bringing in Conan?

GVGjr
21-09-2008, 03:46 PM
He's done a very good job with Port, and it will be interesting to see whether someone takes a punt on one of the finest heads of hair the vfl/afl has ever seen

I would have thought given Freo and the Eagles are looking to bolster their ranks he might fit with one of those two, do you think Eade would look at bringing in Conan?

Doubtful that Eade would want him but he would add value at a lot of sides. A new coach like Voss could do worse than having a guy like Ayers in the coaching box with him.

Sockeye Salmon
21-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Didn't sound like Ward was that good

Got named 3rd best

I thought that Cam Lockwood again showed he should be on an AFL list...played in front, attacked the ball and held firm under pressure.

Lockwood was dreadful v Frankston, though.

hujsh
21-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Got named 3rd best

That's what i was referring to. The commentators said he didn't do much but what he did was good so it was surprising.

wb_age
21-09-2008, 08:35 PM
The fact that Ward was named in the bests after that performance makes me question how good his season actually was.

Yes, he was named in the best constantly which was very pleasing but if what I saw from this game warrants being amongst the best afield, not so pleasing. :o

Cyberdoggie
22-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Doubtful that Eade would want him but he would add value at a lot of sides. A new coach like Voss could do worse than having a guy like Ayers in the coaching box with him.

Ayres is clearly the stand out coach of the vfl.

Of course it helps coaching a passionate stand alone club, with non-affiliated players in the team. I think they just had that little bit more juice flowing through them that go them over the line.

I think Brad Gotch is an excellent developement coach but i really don't rate the way he comes over when addressing the players at the breaks. You cannot hear a word he says and there is just nothing inspiring about him. I think there are occasions when you need to fire up at times and Brad is just not that sort of person. After Ayres had finished with the players at 3/4 time even the crowd around him were ready to tear strips off the opposition, and you could see the passion in the celebrations in the rooms after the game.

Port can also thank Peter Street for single handedly getting them into the game. When he decked McMahon it got the crowd fired up and the players actually responded in their actions on the field. From that moment on they were on top.

I thought Callan Ward was the only bulldogs player to hold his head high. Again he didn't have a lot of possesions but every touch he had was pure gold. Especially his runs through the middle. He has great vision and can kick goals out of nothing or find an option all the way down the other end of the ground. Such a smart player, just wish he could get 30 possies a game rather than 15.

I heard Ray hurt his knee at the start, which would explain his ordinary day.

Street and Skipper were both terrible, i still think we should get rid of both of them, it may leave us thin but we have ayce, and also 2 rookie ruckmen we should consider. If necessary i'd rather us find another ruckman elsewhere than hold on to skipper for the sole purpose of a being an emergency. He's just taking someone elses spot.

The other young kids were shown up a bit by the finals football, i think O'keefe needs a rest and a big pre-season. He has dropped off a lot as the year has gone on, may be some injury niggles etc, but he really needs to get fitter so he can attack more contests.
Wood and Reid will also improve, I like these 3 players a lot and if they can keep improving the dogs will get some handy midfielders out of them before long.

Cyberdoggie
22-09-2008, 11:13 AM
I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Besides the Grand Final this year, does anyone on this board know exactly why the finals are played at Port?

For a number of reasons.

*Port has the best facilities to host vfl finals

*ABC don't have to move their equipment from the saturday to the sunday games if they are both at port

*Most finals have been played at Port for donkeys years.

*The ground is always in good condition

*It was a HOME final for port!, so you can't even use this as an excuse.

mjp
22-09-2008, 12:47 PM
The fact that Ward was named in the bests after that performance makes me question how good his season actually was.

Yes, he was named in the best constantly which was very pleasing but if what I saw from this game warrants being amongst the best afield, not so pleasing. :o

Ward was terrific - how much of the game did you actually see?