PDA

View Full Version : Trade News

bornadog
24-09-2008, 03:58 PM
From The Australian - Greg Denham 24/9/08

Meanwhile, media reports linking former Sydney captain Barry Hall and the Western Bulldogs, were yesterday dismissed by the Bulldogs. Hall, who is contracted to the Swans for another year, will not be at the Whitten Oval in 2009 according to Bulldogs general manager of football operations James Fantasia, despite the Bulldogs' ongoing search for a key forward.

Sydney's Leo Barry yesterday agreed to a final one-year contract with the club. There had been question marks over Barry's future, but coach Paul Roos said: "We are pleased Leo has agreed to one final year with the Sydney Swans and we still see him in our best 22 going into season 2009."

The Bulldogs started their player-review process yesterday and coach Rodney Eade and injured veteran Scott West will today discuss West's future, Fantasia told The Australian. However West, who turns 34 later this year, will not play on in 2009.

And after five years at the Bulldogs, Farren Ray, who is out of contract, may be asked to look elsewhere.

hujsh
24-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I hope this doesn't mean we're looking at Hansen. Apparently he was our backup option if Hall didn't work out. Talented but not what we need.

Dry Rot
24-09-2008, 05:35 PM
And after five years at the Bulldogs, Farren Ray, who is out of contract, may be asked to look elsewhere.

Does this imply we are booting him, not him wanting to leave?

bulldogtragic
24-09-2008, 05:49 PM
If true, it would seem so.

The Doctor
24-09-2008, 06:47 PM
I hope this doesn't mean we're looking at Hansen. Apparently he was our backup option if Hall didn't work out.

Where did you hear this one?

LostDoggy
24-09-2008, 07:26 PM
i heard the Hansen rumour too (and no, not from any footy forum website).

Personally I'd prefer Kosi to Hansen and I reckon that he wouldn't cost too much more to get.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2008, 07:30 PM
I can't see Hansen doing a thing for us.

Happy Days
24-09-2008, 07:30 PM
i heard the Hansen rumour too (and no, not from any footy forum website).

Personally I'd prefer Kosi to Hansen and I reckon that he wouldn't cost too much more to get.

Hmmm...no.

The Saints would expect at least one first round pick, whereas you could consider yourself hard done by to pay anything more than a second rounder for Hansen.

hujsh
24-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Where did you hear this one?

Maybe the TV or radio? I honestly can't remember. It's just something that stuck

mighty_west
24-09-2008, 07:59 PM

Well from all reports he's yet to re-sign, so it certainly doesn't indicate that he's desperate to stay!

mighty_west
24-09-2008, 08:06 PM
There seems to be a split between what talls we should go after, i'm in the let's get Hansen group, and don't see the point in trying to lure a 32 year old nutcase.

Don't get me wrong, Barry Hall is good, but he's also a walking time bomb, as we saw with his suspensions this year, as for his body, the amount his body would have taken over his time, at that age, i'm surprised he's still running around, i'd very surprised if next year isn't his last.

What i like about Hensen, is yeah, he's a taller Bob Murphy, but he can still take overhead marks, he has been injured, but i'm sure our medical staff will look over him with a fine tooth comb, he is also a quality tall.

But we also need a second tall, thats where we should also look at Boyle, both are long term players, in the right age group to compliment our list, and both can take strong grabs and kick goals.

The Coon Dog
24-09-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm not sold on Hansen. Too often injured & not the type of forward we need.

hujsh
24-09-2008, 08:21 PM
There seems to be a split between what talls we should go after, i'm in the let's get Hansen group, and don't see the point in trying to lure a 32 year old nutcase.

Don't get me wrong, Barry Hall is good, but he's also a walking time bomb, as we saw with his suspensions this year, as for his body, the amount his body would have taken over his time, at that age, i'm surprised he's still running around, i'd very surprised if next year isn't his last.

What i like about Hensen, is yeah, he's a taller Bob Murphy, but he can still take overhead marks, he has been injured, but i'm sure our medical staff will look over him with a fine tooth comb, he is also a quality tall.

But we also need a second tall, thats where we should also look at Boyle, both are long term players, in the right age group to compliment our list, and both can take strong grabs and kick goals.

I'd call him a quality player. I'd say he's tall. But i can't call him a quality tall yet

Dry Rot
24-09-2008, 09:08 PM
I can't see Hansen doing a thing for us.

Disagree - he can keep Tom Williams company in the rehab group next season.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Disagree - he can keep Tom Williams company in the rehab group next season.
:) :) :)

I'm sure Tom thinks it's definitely worth the second round pick or trading Farren...

bulldog
24-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Its simple to win a premiership we need Barry Hall i saw the big man training at a gym in Richmond and man he is a big man just what we need

Scraggers
24-09-2008, 11:38 PM
What about Farren Ray and our third round pick for Kosi ??

Any interest?

The Coon Dog
24-09-2008, 11:45 PM

Any interest?

Not from me, there's just something about Kosi that leaves me cold. I don't even know what it is, but I just couldn't imagine him playing for anyone but St. Kilda.

The Pie Man
24-09-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm not sold on Hansen. Too often injured & not the type of forward we need.

Agreed - we've already got one - Murphy - he plays a very similar role, only differences are Murph is more versatile, though Hansen has a flag

The Pie Man
24-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Agreed - we've already got one - Murphy - he plays a very similar role, only differences are Murph is more versatile, though Hansen has a flag

To clarify - I agree he's not the type of forward we need.

Not suggesting Bob is injury prone.

Sockeye Salmon
25-09-2008, 09:18 AM

Any interest?

In a heartbeat - but wouldn't even be close to getting the job done.

LostDoggy
25-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Just out of curiosity, why are people preferring Kosi to Hall.

Yes the age difference is the main issue but surely Hall would be more value to us than Kosi in 2009.

Hall has been a top liner now for almost a decade.
Kosi on the other hand has shown glimpses of his top form, but not for the past 4 years.

Even though Hall will slow down in the comming years surely he would have a greater impact on games than Kosi would.

DOG GOD
25-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Just out of curiosity, why are people preferring Kosi to Hall.

Yes the age difference is the main issue but surely Hall would be more value to us than Kosi in 2009.

Hall has been a top liner now for almost a decade.
Kosi on the other hand has shown glimpses of his top form, but not for the past 4 years.

Even though Hall will slow down in the comming years surely he would have a greater impact on games than Kosi would.

Totally agree Borgy, while i'm not completely sold on Hall, he is the ONE ingredient this team is missing. A robust FF/CHF that can take a contested mark and most likely kick us 60 goals next year.

I like Kosi, he has definately showed patches of brilliance at times, however is very inconsistant and i get the feeling over the next few years his body will start to struggle. With Ayce coming in (and i know he wont be ready for 3 years), i really dont see the point of Kosi over Hall.

Sedat
25-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Kosi is an interesting one. He has received more mileage from the 4 game patch in 2005 than even Skipper's one good game in the same season and Ray's Collingwood final in 2006. Before that hot streak (interestingly in Reiwoldt's absence), and since, he has not convinced anyone in the football community that he can become the go-to forward for his club. Is is because of Reiwoldt's presence up forward overshadowing Kosi? Is it because Kosi gets shifted around all over the place? Is it because Kosi is simply not as much chop as his inflated reputation would suggest? He is a real enigma - I have no idea which answer is closest to being correct.

DOG GOD
25-09-2008, 12:13 PM
My best friend is a saints man and even he is losing a bit of faith in Kosi. He keeps mentioning that 4 round period in roos absence where he polled 3 best on grounds in those 4 weeks.

I think its a bit of everything Sedat. He really has been pulled from pillar to post over the last 4 years with Thomas in particular, and now Lyon. I like him as a player, but he just doesnt have the consistancy required to be a top notch player. Him and roo are worlds apart really when u think about it.
I'm sure Kosi could offer us something, but would it be as much as what Hall could?

Watching Kosi he is starting to look a bit slow and i have a feeling his body will start to struggle...i might be wrong. His kicking is very hot and cold...similar to minson really. Your never confident he is going to kick the goal even from close range.

I know he's younger, but i'm sure unless the saints wanted to get rid of him he would cost a hell of a lot.

FrediKanoute
25-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Not from me, there's just something about Kosi that leaves me cold. I don't even know what it is, but I just couldn't imagine him playing for anyone but St. Kilda.

Agree TCD, Kosi to me is a tweener......not quite a ruckman and not quite a key position player. also I think he's soft and if we're worried about Hansen and William's injury issues Kosi has hardly a great track record.

Sedat
25-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Anyone notice that Chris Schmidt has been delisted by Brisbane - he was the player Brisbane used their 'Aker' selection on.

The Coon Dog
25-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Anyone notice that Chris Schmidt has been delisted by Brisbane - he was the player Brisbane used their 'Aker' selection on.

Yes, he was selected with pick 34.

bulldogtragic
25-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Yes, he was selected with pick 34.
And Wayde Mills.

And chance of a rookie spot with us?

Sockeye Salmon
25-09-2008, 01:21 PM
In Kosi's defence, I'd hate to be playing FF for St. Kilda under Ross Lyon the way they bring the ball into their forward line.

LostDoggy
25-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Its simple to win a premiership we need Barry Hall i saw the big man training at a gym in Richmond and man he is a big man just what we need

There again today!!!

bornadog
25-09-2008, 02:02 PM
There again today!!!

You must spend some time at the gym.

Did you talk to him?

hujsh
25-09-2008, 04:10 PM
According to news on SEN Farren Ray, despite being a wanted player:confused:, has asked to be trades home, possibly to Perth.

bornadog
25-09-2008, 04:24 PM
According to news on SEN Farren Ray, despite being a wanted player:confused:, has asked to be trades home, possibly to Perth.

There is a whole thread on it.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3650

hujsh
25-09-2008, 04:34 PM
There is a whole thread on it.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3650

Didn't see it until i posted. I was surprised there wasn't one already and that explains why

LostDoggy
27-09-2008, 10:59 AM
We need a player like Kosi especially with Street moving on and minimising the depth of our rucks.
The way I see it we only have a few players and maybe one draft pick that we can shop around as a deal for a high profile player.
Our bargaining chips are F.Ray, M.Boyd (Yes Boyd) and our second round draft pick. Is there anyone else that might reasonably attract interest ?

Would a combination of the players and the draft pick be enough to land someone like Kosi ? The Saints want more midfield options so I think they could be tempted but having said that they aren't flash at the ruck themselves and losing Kosi would hurt them.
Is there really a key forward or defender that we have a realistic chance of getting ?

bulldogtragic
27-09-2008, 11:11 AM
If we need ruck depth, and a good tall target. Kosi fits the bill.

There's something not right about him though, not to mention the price on his head.

If we had to give say Ray or Bod plus our second rounder, our first natural pick is 46. With GC17 drafts coming up, we wont be getting too many quality kids. We must factor this in.