PDA

View Full Version : Scott West officially retired

aker39
26-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Announced at the Big Bounce today that he has officially retired

bulldogtragic
26-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Good. I hope he gets a retiree champions lap around the MCG tomorrow. This is a much better end to it all.

Thanks Aker.

bornadog
26-09-2008, 04:21 PM
The best thing, I would have hated to see him play elsewhere. I hope we can offer him a role at the club.

FrediKanoute
26-09-2008, 04:34 PM
I'd be encouraging him to go out and get experience elsewhere, maybe at a club like COllingwood......

bulldogtragic
26-09-2008, 04:53 PM
I'd be encouraging him to go out and get experience elsewhere, maybe at a club like COllingwood......
Trade West for Burns (Assistant Roles)

hujsh
26-09-2008, 04:56 PM
The best thing, I would have hated to see him play elsewhere. I hope we can offer him a role at the club.

Maybe a development role where he can play at Willy and talk to the kids during the breaks and guide them.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Maybe a development role where he can play at Willy and talk to the kids during the breaks and guide them.
Willi (assistant) Coach / Captain?

hujsh
26-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Willi (assistant) Coach / Captain?

Brett Johnson might not like that bit but yeah.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Brett Johnson might not like that bit but yeah.
The more i think about it the more i like it. PLaying with him shows them where to run, how hard you have to work in a match and train, where to run, how get the hard ball, how to imrpove your game.

If Westy wanted to do that, that could really value add to the side.

GVGjr
27-09-2008, 09:01 AM
I am very happy that West decided to retire but I am bitterly disappointed with the clubs management on this. As I have mentioned on other threads about this, he just needed time to make the right decision but we rushed it through and actually delisted a multi time club champion and 300 game player. This would no doubt leave a very sour taste in a lot of peoples mouth and for the sake of a couple of more days we probably could have wrapped this up and given him the type of send off that his many fans, friends and teammates wanted to see.

BulldogBelle
27-09-2008, 09:11 AM
l think he should have no offical involement with the dogs for at least 1 year.

He should take the year off footy or go to a different club to see how it is done there.

It would be very good for him to see how other clubs do things differently.

LostDoggy
27-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Trade West for Burns (Assistant Roles)

Give West a year off and get Chris Grant back.

The Coon Dog
27-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Give West a year off and get Chris Grant back.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dogs 24/7
27-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Announced at the Big Bounce today that he has officially retired

Common sense finally prevailed. Sad to see a TOC member treated so poorly.

Mantis
27-09-2008, 12:15 PM
I am very happy that West decided to retire but I am bitterly disappointed with the clubs management on this. As I have mentioned on other threads about this, he just needed time to make the right decision but we rushed it through and actually delisted a multi time club champion and 300 game player. This would no doubt leave a very sour taste in a lot of peoples mouth and for the sake of a couple of more days we probably could have wrapped this up and given him the type of send off that his many fans, friends and teammates wanted to see.

He had ample time. He would have known for along time that the most likely outcome from his post season discussion with the coaching staff was that he would be asked to retire. Aker even mentioned that West had spoken to him about it after the Brownlow.

So why then did he act the way he did when he knew it was coming?

I understand that hearing the actual message rather than pre-empting it are 2 different things, but you would have to think that he would have went over how he would handle himself if he was told that his career at the Bulldogs was over.

GVGjr
27-09-2008, 12:23 PM
He had ample time. He would have known for along time that the most likely outcome from his post season discussion with the coaching staff was that he would be asked to retire. Aker even mentioned that West had spoken to him about it after the Brownlow.

So why then did he act the way he did when he knew it was coming?

I understand that hearing the actual message rather than pre-empting it are 2 different things, but you would have to think that he would have went over how he would handle himself if he was told that his career at the Bulldogs was over.

Clearly he didn't. From his perspective he got blindsided and didn't see it coming but given a few more days he adjusted to the news and made the correct decision. I stated when it was first announced that he just needed more time and nothing I have heard since will convince me otherwise. He deserved vastly more respect and dignity than being delisted.

Given the circumstances and the way the club bungled this West conducted himself very well in my opinion.

Mantis
27-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Clearly he didn't. From his perspective he got blindsided and didn't see it coming but given a few more days he adjusted to the news and made the correct decision. I stated when it was first announced that he just needed more time and nothing I have heard since will convince me otherwise. He deserved vastly more respect and dignity than being delisted.

Given the circumstances and the way the club bungled this West conducted himself very well in my opinion.

I can't believe that to be the case. He supposedly told Aker at the Brownlow get together when looking at Eade, 'That guy is going to give me the flick tomorrow'. If he is talking to Aker about it happening you can only suspect that when it happens it isn't a total surprise?

I can only assume that before West and the club had had time to discuss how to handle the situation ( if West was to retire) the story had been leaked to the media remembering that Westy was the guy who walked out of the meeting when he was told the decision had been made. Rather than deal with the scuttle-butt the club confirmed the story that West had been told that he was no longer in the plans for the club (as a player) going forward.

bornadog
27-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Good to see Westy out on the ground today with the retirees and getting a send off.