PDA

View Full Version : Ayce a Bulldog - Pick 14

The Coon Dog
06-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Just reported on SEN that Ayce Cordy has been taken by the Bulldogs with their 1st round selection.

St.Kilda bidded with pick 13.

aker39
06-10-2008, 11:35 AM
We are very stiff.

Shows how bullshit the new rule is.

If the Cats had elected for him, we would only had to have used our 2nd round pick.

LostDoggy
06-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Worst rule ever..

Clearly we always wanted him, it was publicly announced..

StKilda "wanting" him as Pick 13 is rubbish, forces another club to use their first pick.

And they still get to use that Pick 13 right? Seems quite childish

But we now have AYCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCE :)

LostDoggy
06-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Not sure its a shit rule. If he is worth pick 14 or better then fair enough. The old rule was shit, round 3 picks for future champions. Its just unlucky we are the first that the new rule effected.

bornadog
06-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Not sure its a shit rule. If he is worth pick 14 or better then fair enough. The old rule was shit, round 3 picks for future champions. Its just unlucky we are the first that the new rule effected.

What stinks about it is that St Kilda are only bidding to force us to use pick 14 knowing full well we are going to pick him. It doesn't improve their position in the draft at all.

Mofra
06-10-2008, 12:04 PM
What stinks about it is that St Kilda are only bidding to force us to use pick 14 knowing full well we are going to pick him. It doesn't improve their position in the draft at all.
He was rated highly, and they are after a ruckman/forward to complement McEvoy.

St Kilda may well have been happy to take Cordy at 13, tallest and 5th most agile at draft camp even knowing he doesn't have to particularly impress.

G-Mo77
06-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Well it's settled now and this can end all speculation. I'm happy to have him on board!

bulldogtragic
06-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Rules and changes, aside, every single person at the club and past champions of out club rate the kid very, very highly - So i can only share in their excitement and enthuasism too.

The Underdog
06-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Um, ace :o.
At least we know we'll be going tall in the first round.
Is he able to start training with us when we come back or does he have to wait until the draft?
The club was obviously expecting to use their first round pick to get him and seemed fairly comfortable, guess we'll know in 5-6 years if they were right.

Mantis
06-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Um, ace :o.
At least we know we'll be going tall in the first round.
Is he able to start training with us when we come back or does he have to wait until the draft?
The club was obviously expecting to use their first round pick to get him and seemed fairly comfortable, guess we'll know in 5-6 years if they were right.

That's a long time to wait, but that time period is probably not far from the truth.

The Underdog
06-10-2008, 12:42 PM
That's a long time to wait, but that time period is probably not far from the truth.

Realistically 2-3 years before he plays 1sts and 5-6 before he's played enough to know whether he was the right pick. Unless his ability outweighs his...ahem, weight, but it's a struggle to imagine he's going to play before he puts on another 10-15kgs, which would be a couple of pre-seasons at least.

bornadog
06-10-2008, 12:42 PM
He was rated highly, and they are after a ruckman/forward to complement McEvoy.

St Kilda may well have been happy to take Cordy at 13, tallest and 5th most agile at draft camp even knowing he doesn't have to particularly impress.

My point is why would St Kilda bid for him when we have stated we will draft him. They have done so just to get back at us. I think the rule stinks and I am sick and tired of the AFL changing the Father Son rules every few years.

Besides that, wrapped to have the kid as a bulldog, we haven't had many father sons and its about time we had another one. Hope he works out as well as the last one;)

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I think the rule stinks and I am sick and tired of the AFL changing the Father Son rules every few years.

Besides that, wrapped to have the kid as a bulldog, we haven't had many father sons and its about time we had another one.

I couldn't agree more

LostDoggy
06-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure if we are fortunate or unfortunate either. First pick is 14, had we finished lower or higher, where would he had gone? Would a lower pick club have nominated him?
In the end if the club rates him top 5 then we are fortunate cos we got him at 14.

Fair enough by St.Kilda, keep us honest. I'd expect it from other clubs come their time.

The Underdog
06-10-2008, 12:58 PM
My point is why would St Kilda bid for him when we have stated we will draft him. They have done so just to get back at us. I think the rule stinks and I am sick and tired of the AFL changing the Father Son rules every few years.

Besides that, wrapped to have the kid as a bulldog, we haven't had many father sons and its about time we had another one. Hope he works out as well as the last one;)

Isn't that the point of the rule though? You are forced to pay what the player's draft worth is rather than an arbitrary 3rd round pick. What's the point of the rule if clubs don't bid what they think he's worth? Everyone's saying we got screwed, but 7-8 years down the line if he's a premiership winning, multiple all-Australian then we'll think we made out like bandits.
Nothing to stop us doing it to another team in the future either.

bornadog
06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Isn't that the point of the rule though? You are forced to pay what the player's draft worth is rather than an arbitrary 3rd round pick. What's the point of the rule if clubs don't bid what they think he's worth? Everyone's saying we got screwed, but 7-8 years down the line if he's a premiership winning, multiple all-Australian then we'll think we made out like bandits.
Nothing to stop us doing it to another team in the future either.

It destroys what the real concept of father/son is meant to be.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2008, 01:22 PM
It has set the tone for the culture surrounding this new rule. No nicities and clubs working in a friendly atmosphere or backroom deals, it seems very much like it's **** you we not letting you get away with a good deal. Fair enough too, but now that is the way it will be (until Collingwood or an interstate team don't like it and it gets changed again).

The Coon Dog
06-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Just interviewed on SEN.

-Thought he might go 1st round as a few clubs spoke with him last week.

-Bulldogs were his preferred club.

-Barracked for North Melbourne as a kid. A huge Wayne Carey fan.

-Luke Darcy is his mentor at the AIS, learnt a fair bit from Luke.

-Will start pre season training when he finishes school in a few weeks.

-Bulldogs approached Ayce last year in November. Said then happy to take Ayce with 1st selection.

-Expects to spend a few years at Willy.

-Hopes Jack Watts goes pick #1 in draft.

-Mum & a girlfriend came up with name Ayce. Middle name Joshua was Dad's pick.

-Shoulder is going well. 3 months post op, another month before any contact work.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Just interviewed on SEN.

-Thought he might go 1st round as a few clubs spoke with him last week.

-Bulldogs were his preferred club.

-Barracked for North Melbourne as a kid. A huge Wayne Carey fan.

-Luke Darcy is his mentor at the AIS, learnt a fair bit from Luke.

-Will start pre season training when he finishes school in a few weeks.

-Bulldogs approached Ayce last year in November. Said then happy to take Ayce with 1st selection.

-Expects to spend a few years at Willy.

-Hopes Jack Watts goes pick #1 in draft.

-Mum & a girlfriend came up with name Ayce. Middle name Joshua was Dad's pick.

-Shoulder is going well. 3 months post op, another month before any contact work.
Thanks TCD.

Good news story.

Big Will
06-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Just interviewed on SEN.

Ayce spoke very well. Seems like a down to earth, level headed young man.

strebla
06-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Think StKilda played it smart why would you let another team get a firsat round pick with pick 32 it sucks buts thats how it goes look forward to seeing this one develop

Templeton31
06-10-2008, 03:35 PM
video at the bottom is quite good. includes rocket saying he thinks we'll have a quiet week and Farren might not go anywhere.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24452940-19742,00.html

The Underdog
06-10-2008, 03:46 PM
It destroys what the real concept of father/son is meant to be.

I would have thought the concept was to help continue a family tradition at a club. This still allows for that to happen, it just means that clubs are more likely to pay a price that the market dictates. Just because we are the first club to pay a 1st rounder for a F/S doesn't mean we got screwed (well only in comparison to the Cats under the previous rule) it just means we paid what his worth was deemed to be. Sure the Saints motives may have been not all pure but I didn't see any teams bidding first round picks for Darcy Daniher last year just to screw Essendon over. Don't get me wrong, I would have been more than happy to have gotten Ayce for a lower pick but nobody held a gun to our head and made us pick him. We wanted him and we weren't shy about letting the world know it.

I agree with your earlier point about changing the rule and it looks like the eligibility will change again with GC coming in, so it'll be interesting to see if the bidding system remains the same.

LostDoggy
06-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Being in Primary School (and year levels) with Ayce, I dont remembering him being a North Melbourne fan, but it does kind of ring a bell.Then again, this was years ago.

YESSSSSSSS, WE GOT AYCE!

DOG GOD
06-10-2008, 07:40 PM
After having a few JOKERS in the pack, its nice to have an AYCE in the deck now.
Gotta find out if his mum is/was a KISS fan. :)

Bumper Bulldogs
06-10-2008, 09:57 PM

Spot on

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Spot on

Given the hit and miss nature of the draft I feel strongly there should be no first round selections required for father sons

LostDoggy
06-10-2008, 10:54 PM
A good pickup by all accounts, we just need a reasonable (quality) short term fix while these young guys come through, they all seem a couple of seasons away and we are right on the mix at the moment.

Scraggers
06-10-2008, 11:30 PM
video at the bottom is quite good. includes rocket saying he thinks we'll have a quiet week and Farren might not go anywhere.

I'm confused ... didn't Smorgon say we will be brutal and trade hard during trade week to get the players we need to continue our rise up the ladder? Yet Rocket is saying he thinks we will have a quiet week !!

Who's correct here ??

GVGjr
06-10-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm confused ... didn't Smorgon say we will be brutal and trade hard during trade week to get the players we need to continue our rise up the ladder? Yet Rocket is saying he thinks we will have a quiet week !!

Who's correct here ??

What have we got to trade? With the Saints forcing us to use our first round pick, we now can't go hard at an A grade player.

Smorgo wanted us to have a crack at a good player but we just don't have the options to do so. I suspect that if we still had the first round pick, O'Keefe could have been heading our way.

mighty_west
07-10-2008, 12:02 AM
What have we got to trade? With the Saints forcing us to use our first round pick, we now can't go hard at an A grade player.

Smorgo wanted us to have a crack at a good player but we just don't have the options to do so. I suspect that if we still had the first round pick, O'Keefe could have been heading our way.

The only option is using a "required" player as bait, worked for Geelong to get Ottens, sometimes you just have to make tough decisions.

Scraggers
07-10-2008, 12:47 AM

I agree with what you are saying

But the Dogs hierarchy knew they would probably lose our first round pick to secure Ayce coming into trade week yet Smorgon still stated in the media that we would trade hard to get what we need (a KPP).

You can't make comments like that unless you are willing to lose a required player ... thus my confusion ... are we going to trade hard or are we going to have a quiet week ??

Mantis
07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I agree with what you are saying

But the Dogs hierarchy knew they would probably lose our first round pick to secure Ayce coming into trade week yet Smorgon still stated in the media that we would trade hard to get what we need (a KPP).

You can't make comments like that unless you are willing to lose a required player ... thus my confusion ... are we going to trade hard or are we going to have a quiet week ??

We got one, it's just that he has the body of a 14 yo.

Scraggers
07-10-2008, 05:11 PM
We got one, it's just that he has the body of a 14 yo.

Mildly amusing Mantis ... Mildly amusing !! :)

Mantis
07-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Mildly amusing Mantis ... Mildly amusing !! :)

Maybe he can take my username as his new nickname.

Ayce "Mantis" Cordy - Built like a stick insect.

LostDoggy
07-10-2008, 06:08 PM
But Mantis at least you have big forearms.

Scraggers
07-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Maybe he can take my username as his new nickname.

Ayce "Mantis" Cordy - Built like a stick insect.

Wouldn't suit him ... he's not cynical !!!

Mantis
07-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Wouldn't suit him ... he's not cynical !!!

Neither was I until I started supporting the Dogs.

Give Ayce 12 months on the list and he might even out do me.

Scraggers
07-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Neither was I until I started supporting the Dogs.

Give Ayce 12 months on the list and he might even out do me.

Its quiet possible !!

Sockeye Salmon
12-11-2008, 12:38 AM
For want of a better place to put this, a write up on young Ayce.

Ayce Cordy (DOB 6/8/90, Ht – 202, Wt – 77)

Very tall stick insect who once he puts some weight on should be first class ruck option for the Bulldogs. He was the tallest of the attendees at draft camp this year measuring in at 201.7 and when you combine that with a pretty good jump you have a guy who is going to get fairly high up in the air. His ruck skills are okay but at the moment he is nowhere near strong enough to hold his position against AFL rucks.

In most years we would be raving about his athleticism but Natanui puts him in the shade so not much has been said about it. I think he compares very favourably with most of the first rucks running around and he is certainly not going to be disadvantaged in that regard. As mentioned he has a good jump on him and when that is combined with his good hands he is a serious marking threat. He moves around the ground very well and accumulates possessions nicely.

His disposal skills are okay but could use some work. Cordy put in one of the real stand out performances of the draft camp for me in the agility test. This extremely tall guy who is still growing into his body pulled out the 5th best agility time with an 8.27. He presents a pretty big target so I am not thinking of that in terms of his work in traffic but more for turning circle and changing direction when he rests up forward and down back. It was reported on here that he did a 3.05 in the 20m sprint which is pretty good for a big guy and adds to the allure. Injury issues kept him out for most of the year and with him playing school football last year there is some question marks about his matching up with better quality opposition but really he has a lot of tools that make him an attractive prospect.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Do people think Cordy will develop into a ruck for us, or is he better suited forward? The few reports I've read seem to suggest he'd be better off as a KPF, using his mobility, leap & strong hands to advantage. Seems he's only considered a ruck prospect because he's of that height. Obviously none of us are too informed, considering he was injured for most of '08, but I was just wondering what others think?

Perhaps he'll be used similar to David Hale? Stints in the ruck and up forward - whatever his form warrants, and where we need him most?

soupman
12-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Maybe he could play the sort of role Minson is currently. Most of the game up forward but when Will gets tired in the ruck send him there.

Go_Dogs
12-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Do people think Cordy will develop into a ruck for us, or is he better suited forward?

I think most of it depends on how his body develops. If he can get some serious size about him, ruck might be his best option. If he remains a little slight, perhaps a Westhoff type role up forward.

LostDoggy
12-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Heres a question i hope that hasnt been asked already..

Will we see Ayce playing games for us in 2009?

dogman
12-11-2008, 12:43 PM

I think Eade will want to give him a game. But it all depends on the teams form, if they have a great start like last year, then it will be hard to get in.

Mofra
12-11-2008, 01:41 PM
If he is put up before he is ready & cops and injury, it will stunt his development. If his potential is as good as everyone says, I wouldn't be concerned with 22 games at Willy seconds in his first year.

Sockeye Salmon
12-11-2008, 02:28 PM

Josh Fraser board.

mighty_west
12-11-2008, 02:57 PM
After watching those video highlights on Youtube, i see him more a natural forward, reads the play very well, takes a strong grab, is a good goalkicker, more a natural kicking style than the likes of Minson.

Just going by that video, he kind of reminds me of a Corey McKernan type.

Can't wait to see Grant & Cordy line up together in the forward line in the future.

Happy Days
12-11-2008, 04:32 PM

Not unless he gains 25 kilos.

G-Mo77
12-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Not unless he gains 25 kilos.

Even at his weight if he is good enough he is in as far as I'm concerned.

MrMahatma
17-11-2008, 04:57 AM
Even at his weight if he is good enough he is in as far as I'm concerned.
You wouldn't play him all year, but no reason why he couldn't play 10 games if he's in form.

Bulldog4life
17-11-2008, 11:01 AM
I think most of it depends on how his body develops. If he can get some serious size about him, ruck might be his best option. If he remains a little slight, perhaps a Westhoff type role up forward.

I even remember Mick Turner, the Geelong Falcons coach, say early in the year that Ace's ball skills were that good that he could play on the wing initially till he puts more weight on. Actually that is how Richo started out.

bulldogsman
19-11-2008, 10:37 AM
I even remember Mick Turner, the Geelong Falcons coach, say early in the year that Ace's ball skills were that good that he could play on the wing initially till he puts more weight on. Actually that is how Richo started out.

That's how Everitt started out too. Gosh a 202cm bloke on the wing :eek: that would just look a bit strange

Mofra
19-11-2008, 12:02 PM
That's how Everitt started out too. Gosh a 202cm bloke on the wing :eek: that would just look a bit strange
Isn't that what the recruiters said about Cam Wight, due to his endurance?

hujsh
19-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Isn't that what the recruiters said about Cam Wight, due to his endurance?

Cam Wight's more unco than Cordy by the looks of things

LostDoggy
19-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Kreuzer played most of this year. No reason draftees can't grow into their roles by playing. Will struggle to run out 22 games + finals though.

Mofra
19-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Cam Wight's more unco than Cordy by the looks of things
Regardless, I'm not hopeful of seeing Ayce line up next year, wing or otherwise. I don't want the kid to end up like Josh Fraser

The Bulldogs Bite
19-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Regardless, I'm not hopeful of seeing Ayce line up next year, wing or otherwise. I don't want the kid to end up like Josh Fraser

Even though Collingwood played Fraser too early, I am not particularly convinced he was ever going to be a better player than he currently is anyhow? He floats in and out of games, he's capable of taking strong marks and being an influential player, but I wouldn't have said he's a special talent. Perhaps being played too early did stunt his progress a little bit, but I don't think it's the reason why he's not an A grade player. Always been/will be too fragile to be a dominant ruck, and probably doesn't have the intensity/presence required to be a quality KPF.

He's a bits part player. Handy, mobile, and certainly capable - but there's plenty of his type. I think some overlook that aspect and are a little too quick to point the finger at Collingwood, even though they did rush it.

However, I do agree Cordy shouldn't be rushed and I wouldn't expect him to play a senior game at all in 2009. Realistically he would likely struggle to play one the following year. Young rucks take a long time to develop, and his body is barely developed at all. He seems a solid long term option but I wouldn't be using him in any discussions regarding our lineup for 3 or so years.

bulldogsman
19-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Even though Collingwood played Fraser too early, I am not particularly convinced he was ever going to be a better player than he currently is anyhow? He floats in and out of games, he's capable of taking strong marks and being an influential player, but I wouldn't have said he's a special talent. Perhaps being played too early did stunt his progress a little bit, but I don't think it's the reason why he's not an A grade player. Always been/will be too fragile to be a dominant ruck, and probably doesn't have the intensity/presence required to be a quality KPF.

He's a bits part player. Handy, mobile, and certainly capable - but there's plenty of his type. I think some overlook that aspect and are a little too quick to point the finger at Collingwood, even though they did rush it.

However, I do agree Cordy shouldn't be rushed and I wouldn't expect him to play a senior game at all in 2009. Realistically he would likely struggle to play one the following year. Young rucks take a long time to develop, and his body is barely developed at all. He seems a solid long term option but I wouldn't be using him in any discussions regarding our lineup for 3 or so years.

I definitely wouldn't be using him for the first 10 games of the season, he just had a shoulder operation and needs to strengthen it up again. Should only be played late i'd save him for the year after though

bulldogtragic
23-11-2008, 08:39 PM
I respect Emma Quail, especially when it comes to the draft and the like. Some very good words for Ayce and ranks him 8th best in this year. We get him for 14, if you accept that, the f/s still works. Emma says:

8. Ayce Cordy
(Geelong Falcons, 202cm, 78kg)
I haven't seen a heap of Ayce — he had a shoulder reconstruction this year — but on what I saw at the end of 2007 and in an AIS game this year, I'm happy to rank him here. He is one of the skinniest people I have ever laid eyes on, but his height — combined with his running ability, make him quite a scary proposition. I don’t think that there’s a player like him around, so if he makes it, I’m not sure who you put on him. He's a really clean mark and the way he can scoop up balls at his feet is quite incredible.

Never count chickens, but a write up like from that from Emma is a fair wrap. I hope she's right and he makes it.