PDA

View Full Version : So who wants Ashley Hansen???

Cyberdoggie
08-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Who thinks this guy will be answer to our prayers?

It sounds as though Farren Ray won't be enough for him so we'll probably have to sweeten the deal a touch but I doubt Hansen will cost that much due to his injuries and lack of games in recent years.

For me he seems to be more the McDougall plan of attack than the goal square power forward we were looking at. I don't neccessarilly think that is a bad thing but i'm a little sceptical of a guy that's played hardly any footy recently.

:confused:

bulldogtragic
08-10-2008, 10:54 AM
I'd say Doogs had more natural ability and cost significantly less - but the assessment is spot on. This is not what Smorgon meant when he said "We've done well to get to the pre-lim, and over the pre-season i hope we trade aggressively for a power forward".

I see the hope regarding when he had a good midfield he was a handy player, but injuries and the fact he never set the world alight...

I'll second the motion of not saying yes, but not sying no either.

Sedat
08-10-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm not much of a Hansen fan and he won't add anything particular to the team that we don't already have. Unless he has developed the overnight ability to take Jon Brown style pack marks I'm not sure what exactly he can bring to the table for us. He was never a big goal kicker and he relied heavily on the silver service from Judd/Cousins/Kerr to take marks out on the lead well up the ground. At best his presence might free up Murph to take a lesser defender but that's not exactly going to have the likes of Hawthorn and Geelong quaking in their boots.

GVGjr
08-10-2008, 11:01 AM
If we can get him at a decent price I would say yes.

bornadog
08-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Hansen will be 26 years old in March and should be at his peak. He won't kick alot of goals but can take a decent mark at CHF, which is more what we need. We saw this year Murphy trying to play that role and was successful in the first half of the year, however, in the second half teams paid more attention to him and with a lack of height, we were found wanting.

Rocket Science
08-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Sign me up...

He's not exactly what we need, but he's; (a) better than any of the other retread tall forwards out there, (b) better at his role than anyone else currently within our system, and (c) more earthly use to us than yet another ineffectual midfielder in the 22 (if Ray's the 'price').

Do it.

Twodogs
08-10-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm in. Do the deal.

LostDoggy
08-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Reading Herald Sun just before..

They are saying a few things about us
1) We arent interested in Courtney Johns or Jay Schulz
2) Barry Hall is our preferred option, but unlikely as Sydney are aiming to keep him
3) Ashley Hansen is the next best option, possible straight trade for Farren Ray but unlikely as Eagles might want more & no high interest in Ray at the trade table

Should we give up Farren & Pick 32?

Mantis
08-10-2008, 12:16 PM

2) Barry Hall is our preferred option, but unlikely as Sydney are aiming to keep him
3) Ashley Hansen is the next best option, possible straight trade for Farren Ray but unlikely as Eagles might want more & no high interest in Ray at the trade table

I think that is far too much to give away.

If we need to sweeten the deal I would be looking to get their 3rd pick in return for our 2nd rd pick, which means a slight pick upgrade for the Eagles.

Sockeye Salmon
08-10-2008, 12:24 PM

If we gave them pick 32 they won't even use pick 36.

It will be Ray + 32 for Hansen + 36 (I'd even ask for 52 as well)

We'll end up drafting the same player with that pick anyway because Clayton will pick some bloke that no-one else has ever heard of.

Twodogs
08-10-2008, 12:25 PM
We'll end up drafting the same player with that pick anyway because Clayton will pick some bloke that no-one else has ever heard of.

I hope it's me.

Or is it time to let that dream go?

The Underdog
08-10-2008, 12:31 PM
I hope it's me.

You've got no chance after the effort I put in at Draught camp last week. I'm sure to get picked up (at least from wherever I've fallen)

On topic, I'd do the deal if we swapped Ray and a swap of 36 for 32.
Hansen isn't going to be the saviour but he's an honest footballer who'll provide options. If we can get him for a fair value I'd do it. Injury history is a concern though.

LostDoggy
08-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm in

LostDoggy
08-10-2008, 12:48 PM
If we gave them pick 32 they won't even use pick 36.

It will be Ray + 32 for Hansen + 36 (I'd even ask for 52 as well)

No way would i give away pick 32. I would prefer to off load Ray to WCE for pick 36 and forget about Hansen. The more draft picks the better.

I think we should have done a deal with the Saints (who are slightly interested in Farren), that they not bid for Ayce and we will give them Farren Ray for pick 70-80.

Bulldog Revolution
08-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Hansen

2008 13 games 11 goals
2007 14 games 22 goals
2006 14 games 17 goals
2005 20 games 24 goals
2004 6 games 7 goals

Sockeye Salmon
08-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I hope it's me.

You're the right height and weight - and have that rare combination of speed and endurance.

Dancin' Douggy
08-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Ashley Hansen is 198, yes, 198 cm tall and weighs 94 kilos.
This is a huge man but he's considered a lead up forward, not a pack buster who can take contested marks. Why not?
In a word........ SOFT.
I suppose he's better than nothing but I don't think he's the answer and I don't think we should bend over too hard to get him.
Trade Ray for a the best pick we can get if we have to and just keep drafting kids.

I would love to be trading hard for a quality key forward, but if there's none there, I don't want another hack just so we look like we're doing the right thing.

Cyberdoggie
08-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Hansen

2008 13 games 11 goals
2007 14 games 22 goals
2006 14 games 17 goals
2005 20 games 24 goals
2004 6 games 7 goals

I think this tells a lot.

He's barely better than a goal a game player,

however i'd like to know goal assists etc. Does he create more than he kicks being a lead up forward?

Bulldogs_6
08-10-2008, 01:58 PM

however i'd like to know goal assists etc. Does he create more than he kicks being a lead up forward?

Well that 11 goals in 13 games is the best you're gonna get from the Eagles perspective.

bornadog
08-10-2008, 02:01 PM

He tends to play outside 50, so need to look further into the stats.

Sedat
08-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Hansen

2008 13 games 11 goals
2007 14 games 22 goals
2006 14 games 17 goals
2005 20 games 24 goals
2004 6 games 7 goals
Welsh kicked 40+ goals this season in what was widely regarded as just an OK season. Murph is our designated lead-up CHF and averages more goals per game than Hansen, not to mention plenty more marks and possessions. Ditto Hahn. So can anyone tell me what specific magic ingredient is Hansen going to add to our forward line that we don't already have in abundance?

The above numbers, even excluding 2008, are a disgrace for someone that has been getting silver service from one of the best midfields in the last 15 years.

Go_Dogs
08-10-2008, 02:09 PM
He tends to play outside 50, so need to look further into the stats.

I for one an not convinced that he is what we need for this reason. We already have a few players who can play Hansen's role with good effect, our real need is someone who can play a deep forward role.

I guess with question marks about Welsh's ability to play the role next year, Tiller seemingly fitting in well down back, and Murph's pretty average final series have forced the issue a bit.

If he's cheap, I guess he's worth a punt, but I'm not convinced he'd make massive improvements to our forward line.

Cyberdoggie
08-10-2008, 02:14 PM
I for one an not convinced that he is what we need for this reason. We already have a few players who can play Hansen's role with good effect, our real need is someone who can play a deep forward role.

I guess with question marks about Welsh's ability to play the role next year, Tiller seemingly fitting in well down back, and Murph's pretty average final series have forced the issue a bit.

If he's cheap, I guess he's worth a punt, but I'm not convinced he'd make massive improvements to our forward line.

I agree that if he's very cheap then he will be good backup for hahn and murph as we all know that if these guys are absent then we are really going to struggle to kick goals.

The Pie Man
08-10-2008, 02:18 PM

I don't think the club are either - that's why he's plan B. Not a bad contigency though

The fact that he'd take a big defender and at least hold his own is crucial - he's very mobile for a big man. We could even ask he play deeper and lead up from the goal square to the 50 (big if)

No better advertisement than Rocket Science's new avatar, gotta show some love for that. A WOOF endorsement on the deal!

Mantis
08-10-2008, 02:30 PM

He was excellent against Sydney and worked very hard against Geelong, but was obviously let down by some sloppy foot skills which a bung knee wouldn't have helped.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Perhaps the positive of recruiting Hansen means that Hahn can play deep, perhaps as somewhat of a FF?

Hahn runs out of puff very quickly, and when he tires, his skills drop terribly. At times he struggles roaming across HF (eg. Finals) so perhaps he would be better suited to playing deeper, as he's always a chance of snagging a goal through sheer strength. He may not win the contest every time, but he'll give one, and he'll save energy playing deeper.

Just an observation though. Obviously Hansen is not the ideal option, we require a power forward that plays deep, but for the right price he's worth a shot. Better than Boyle, Campbell, Johns etc.

I'm surprised we haven't been linked to Thorpe, who's now been put on the table for the 'right price'. Clayton rated him highly when he was first drafted, and he's still very young. Perhaps it's a simple case of not having anything to deal with, but I would of thought we'd show some mild interest.

Sedat
08-10-2008, 03:06 PM
If Hansen was used as a lead-up forward at WC in order to create space for Lynch deep in the 50, then shouldn't we be going after Lynch instead? If we do get Hansen, aren't we just adding another lead-up option to the side who still won't have a key forward target to kick it to inside 50?

He does not kick bags of goals and he is not a big pack mark. I don't understand the logic behind chasing Hansen at all.

bornadog
08-10-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't understand the logic behind chasing Hansen at all.

Height and can play. Only problem is the injury concerns.

Sedat
08-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Height and can play. Only problem is the injury concerns.
Nobody is denying he can play, but is he capable of fulfiling the contested marking, 60+ goal kicking, key forward role we desperately need? He hasn't shown this skill at any stage in his reasonably long career to date.

The Underdog
08-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Nobody is denying he can play, but is he capable of fulfiling the contested marking, 60+ goal kicking, key forward role we desperately need? He hasn't shown this skill at any stage in his reasonably long career to date.

Has he ever been played in this sort of role? I'm not saying that he's suddenly going to become a contested marking bohemoth or going to drop in 60+ goals, but I'm not sure he's ever really played a lot as a deep forward. Whether it's because he can't or because the team didn't need him to play that role I'm not sure.

mighty_west
08-10-2008, 04:39 PM

We simply are not going to get that contested marking "Power Forward" that will kick 60 plus goals, thats JBrown, Pavlich, Fev etc.

But with Hansen, he's not going to cost us the world, we can actually recieve a GOOD tall forward in exchange for Farren [if he wants to goto W.A], and Hansen would straighten us up considerably [it's not like he can't take overhead marks!!!], and work his guts out, he just presents & presents, his only query, his hammy's.

Just on Mitch Thorp, i thought we may have shown some interest, but i'd imagine the Hawks would want a first round pick, or a player such as Higgins, Everitt etc, thats how high he's rated at the Hawks, would we REALLY be that keen if that was the case?

hujsh
08-10-2008, 05:03 PM
No better advertisement than Rocket Science's new avatar, gotta show some love for that. A WOOF endorsement on the deal!

I just assumed it was Cooney and RS wanted a traditional jumper on him

Sedat
08-10-2008, 05:05 PM
We simply are not going to get that contested marking "Power Forward" that will kick 60 plus goals, thats JBrown, Pavlich, Fev etc.

But with Hansen, he's not going to cost us the world, we can actually recieve a GOOD tall forward in exchange for Farren [if he wants to goto W.A], and Hansen would straighten us up considerably [it's not like he can't take overhead marks!!!], and work his guts out, he just presents & presents, his only query, his hammy's.
What concerns me is that we are courting someone that is not going to address our specific need. Last time we traded for a tall who wasn't suited to the role that we had in mind for them was Jade Rawlings.

If we have faith that Hansen can become the go-to power forward that we clearly need, and if Hansen is comfortable in his ability to fulfil this role, then go for it. Otherwise why are we pursuing him?

I'd rather we get Hall because he will address our pressing needs. Failing that, Schulz is a better fit for us because he at least is a natural in the deep forward role (with levels of inconsistency it needs to be said). Has Hansen even kicked more than 4 goals in a game? (even Skipper has kicked a bag once in his career :))

Rocket Science
08-10-2008, 05:15 PM
I just assumed it was Cooney and RS wanted a traditional jumper on him

Now that's something I hadn't considered in deference to the 'no' crowd...do we really want to add another Fanta Pants to the side?

Sedat
08-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Now that's something I hadn't considered in deference to the 'no' crowd...do we really want to add another Fanta Pants to the side?
In the post Wallace era, we are going anti-suntan

Raw Toast
08-10-2008, 06:51 PM
What concerns me is that we are courting someone that is not going to address our specific need. Last time we traded for a tall who wasn't suited to the role that we had in mind for them was Jade Rawlings.

If we have faith that Hansen can become the go-to power forward that we clearly need, and if Hansen is comfortable in his ability to fulfil this role, then go for it. Otherwise why are we pursuing him?

I'd rather we get Hall because he will address our pressing needs. Failing that, Schulz is a better fit for us because he at least is a natural in the deep forward role (with levels of inconsistency it needs to be said). Has Hansen even kicked more than 4 goals in a game? (even Skipper has kicked a bag once in his career :))

He doesn't address a pressing need but I'd prefer him to Schulz (depending on price of course).

He is a player who should fit into our general game style quite well (IF fit), and so should increase our flexibility. He's no ROK, but he should allow us to play Murphy both more as a deep forward, and as a defender, and I think would help with our forward structure by giving us another hard-leading target.

I think we broke down a bit around the half-forward line this year, and we were pretty dependent on Murphy, so I wouldn't mind Hansen for those reasons.

Schulz has not shown he can be a consistent power forward, and it would be difficult to play him and Minson in the same forward line, and we'll be in a bit of trouble if we always have to have one of Minson or Hudson on the bench.

KT31
08-10-2008, 07:32 PM
I agree that if he's very cheap then he will be good backup for hahn and murph as we all know that if these guys are absent then we are really going to struggle to kick goals.

We need more than a backup.
We need precence in the forward line.
If Hahn or Murphy are missing we have lead up forwards playing at Willy who can come in.
I would rather recruit another (of the available ) ruckman and play Minson at fullforward.
At least he can take a contested grab and they can work on his kicking in the off season.
Although if he comes at no cost it would be OK.

LostDoggy
08-10-2008, 08:00 PM
We need more than a backup.
We need precence in the forward line.
If Hahn or Murphy are missing we have lead up forwards playing at Willy who can come in.
I would rather recruit another (of the available ) ruckman and play Minson at fullforward.
At least he can take a contested grab and they can work on his kicking in the off season.
Although if he comes at no cost it would be OK.

I think that Schulz would be a better option than Hansen. Initially I didnt think so, but I am coming around. He has been hamstrung a little at Richmond playing behind Richo, and he can take a contested mark. Hansen to me is a lead up chf similar to murph. Need a contested mark deep in fwd line.

The other issue I have with Hansen is that he is injured a lot. We cant afford another kpp that is off the park for periods of time.

Pembleton
09-10-2008, 02:22 AM
He can be valuable to us. When we were bad this year, we really struggled to move the ball through half forward. Yes, we need a deeper style player badly, but it is a myth that we are over stocked on lead up forwards. The only one that does consistently well in that role is Murphy. Johnson Hahn Welsh all do their best work deeper. I wouldn't pay much for him though.

MrMahatma
09-10-2008, 06:34 AM
I don't think he's worth pursuing. I think he gets over rated due to the team he played in.

The deal, however, would depend strongly on what we're paying, and what we could get in the draft at that stage.

If Ray was going to walk, and we could do a deal of a straight swap, we effectively get him for nothing, so he's worth a shot. McDougal did nothing, but he cost nothing. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I don't think we'd be a much better team with Hansen in the squad. In fact I struggle to find a spot for him, however, at low cost he's worth getting on board.

At the end of the day, we aren't paying what we paid for Rawlings, so a gamble isn't as costly this time.

bornadog
09-10-2008, 10:10 AM
At the end of the day, we aren't paying what we paid for Rawlings, so a gamble isn't as costly this time.

People sure do have short memories when it comes to Rawlings. (not saying you Mr Mahatma, but many other posters). Hindsight is so wonderful to cloud decisions made at the time. Rawlings was the top CHF of that year, taking more marks than any other player and mostly contested. The only failure of the club was the risk we took on his bung knee, which ended up being his undoing. Yes we paid a high price to get him to the club, but we have been screaming for a power forward since we unearthed Chris Grant. At least we tried to get a top forward to the club, and as you say took a huge gamble, but a costly one.

If we can get Hansen cheaply, we should take it as he is only 25 years old and could give us at least another 4 to 5 years if it works out. Otherwise, I prefer to forget about pursuing hacks and try and develop some kids.

Sedat
09-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Heard on SEN this morning that Hansen is not particularly keen to move - didn't articulate whether it was a reluctance to leave WCE or a reluctance to come to the Dogs. But I have no interest whatsoever in trading for reluctant recruits. If the Rawlings trade has taught our club anything, surely it would be not to trade for players that are not 100% committed to our club.

bornadog
09-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Heard on SEN this morning that Hansen is not particularly keen to move - didn't articulate whether it was a reluctance to leave WCE or a reluctance to come to the Dogs. But I have no interest whatsoever in trading for reluctant recruits. If the Rawlings trade has taught our club anything, surely it would be not to trade for players that are not 100% committed to our club.

From the HUN:

The Western Bulldogs are still keen on pursuing West Coast's Ashley Hansen.

Barry Hall is now a massive long-shot and Hansen looms as the best fit up forward.

But Hansen is highly rated as an off-field leader at West Coast. And it is believed the Eagles are not overly interested in Bulldog Farren Ray as any part of a deal.

Mantis
09-10-2008, 10:33 AM

Yeah I am happy with that too.

The Pie Man
09-10-2008, 12:14 PM
From the HUN:

The Western Bulldogs are still keen on pursuing West Coast's Ashley Hansen.

Barry Hall is now a massive long-shot and Hansen looms as the best fit up forward.

But Hansen is highly rated as an off-field leader at West Coast. And it is believed the Eagles are not overly interested in Bulldog Farren Ray as any part of a deal.

That's going to make this one very tough

How does Farren feel about the lack of interest I wonder

Cyberdoggie
09-10-2008, 12:18 PM
In the post Wallace era, we are going anti-suntan

We need another ranga to wear a full length jumper ala Atkins, Hardie

Bulldog Revolution
09-10-2008, 12:30 PM
That's going to make this one very tough

How does Farren feel about the lack of interest I wonder

He only needs one club interested, and plenty will be interested just not at the price we are looking for

The Pie Man
09-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Cant' find abnything online to support this, but a guy from work in Perth (Hawks fan, can you believe it?) said 'You boys firming for Hansen straight swap for Ray they reckon -news here last night said deal was firming given Hansen is from VIC'

Can only hope

LostDoggy
09-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Not me, to answer the question.

Never been impressed with his work. We need a FF, not this wandering ranga.

Surely there's another option.

Dancin' Douggy
09-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Strikes me as a bigger version of Pat Bowden. Got all the skills and the size etc but no grunt.