PDA

View Full Version : Players towards the end of their careers wanting to play on

All Bark no Bite
18-10-2008, 06:04 PM
The tap on the shoulder to players as they approach their twilight years has been fast tracked at our club in the last few years by Rodney Eade.

Rohan Smith, Paul Dimmatina, Chris Grant and now Scott West all wanting to play an extra season were given the tap by Rodney Eade of those Smith, Grant should have played another year.

The decision to delist or sack West was very badly handled whatever way you look at it especially the timing a day after Cooney won his Brownlow.

The Coon Dog
18-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Rohan Smith, Paul Dimmatina, Chris Grant and now Scott West all wanting to play an extra season were given the tap by Rodney Eade of those Smith, Grant should have played another year.

That was Peter Rohde who tapped Dimma on the shoulder, well not actually tapped his shoulder, but rang him to tell him.

I thought there were signs is Bubba's last year that time had caught up with him. Agree, Chris Grant could have played this season.

Sockeye Salmon
18-10-2008, 07:14 PM
That was Peter Rohde who tapped Dimma on the shoulder, well not actually tapped his shoulder, but rang him to tell him.

I thought there were signs is Bubba's last year that time had caught up with him. Agree, Chris Grant could have played this season.

Bubba put his hand up and said "I'm done".

As much as we all loved the Turtle, old father time simply gets us all in the end. It was time.

bulldogtragic
18-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Bubba put his hand up and said "I'm done".

As much as we all loved the Turtle, old father time simply gets us all in the end. It was time.
Agree 100% on both counts. West needed to retire, and whilst i don't see the need to apportion blame, i think Scott was as much responsible for the circumstances as they club and Doug for opening his trap. Whilst it could have been dealt better, the decision is right. I'm looking forward to Ward and Reid getting into the side.

G-Mo77
18-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I really thought Grant could have been valuable this season. I know he would not have been his best but could have helped in some areas but then again you may tarnish your career by going that extra yard while holding others back. It's a pretty tough decision for all parties involved really.

The Underdog
18-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Anyone who saw Bubba kick a footy in his last year knew he was done. Noone wanted to see Grant or West go and I don't necessarily agree with the calls but they were only going to get maybe one more year and I don't think Grant would have been the difference this year much as West would have been a role player next year. I think it's the way the whole comp is going, youth is king and your early 30's are death. I don't think you'll see another player play as long as Robert Harvey, that's for sure.

Rocket Science
19-10-2008, 12:27 AM
I really thought Grant could have been valuable this season. I know he would not have been his best but could have helped in some areas but then again you may tarnish your career by going that extra yard while holding others back. It's a pretty tough decision for all parties involved really.

Would have been interesting to see how Granty might have fared in the role Will Minson played at FF this season...Part of me suspects we could have squeezed 40-50 goals out of him a la Alistair Lynch in his twilight years.

Happy Days
19-10-2008, 12:47 AM
As great a tragedy it was in the way that Westy went out, it would have been a greater tragedy to see him have another injury riddled season and have a knee replacement at age 40. These tough decisions are what allow a footy club to move forward, and 99.95% of the time they are the correct decision.

Sockeye Salmon
19-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Would have been interesting to see how Granty might have fared in the role Will Minson played at FF this season...Part of me suspects we could have squeezed 40-50 goals out of him a la Alistair Lynch in his twilight years.

Only if he was doped to the eyeballs like Lynch was

MrMahatma
19-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Lynch and Grant were extremely different players who played totally different.

It was time for them all. Aker next year, and possibly Johno.

LostDoggy
19-10-2008, 10:53 AM
What would you prefer? To see club champions embarass themselves by playing a year too many. Like Crawford will next season.

Mantis
19-10-2008, 01:31 PM
What would you prefer? To see club champions embarass themselves by playing a year too many. Like Crawford will next season.

How do you know that will be the case?

If his body (knee's) can stand up he will still play a big part for Hawthorn.

Sockeye Salmon
19-10-2008, 02:54 PM

He played a very minor part this year. what makes you think he'll be any better next year?

Prime example of going one year too many.

bigwoofa
19-10-2008, 03:18 PM
West could barely play at VFL level with that knee he wouldnt of lasted.

Grant was unlucky.. If we finished 3rd last season he would of played this season, but becuase we were more in our develop years. I too would of thought he could of kicked 20-30 goals this season

Mantis
19-10-2008, 07:52 PM
He played a very minor part this year. what makes you think he'll be any better next year?

Prime example of going one year too many.

How do you judge that?

He averaged 22.1 disposals per game in the 14 games he played this year and is one of the few genuine ball carriers in the Hawthorn team. If he can throw up similiar type figures next year he would have contributed to the team.

LostDoggy
19-10-2008, 08:31 PM

Apart from what SS said, for Crawford to do better that this season, they would have to win it again. Not sure the Hawks can get the same luck 2 years in a row.
Long career, then finally wins it, it would have been a great opportunity to bow out a winner. Its more about personal ambitions and getting recognised.

Sockeye Salmon
19-10-2008, 09:15 PM
How do you judge that?

He averaged 22.1 disposals per game in the 14 games he played this year and is one of the few genuine ball carriers in the Hawthorn team. If he can throw up similiar type figures next year he would have contributed to the team.

I'm surprised he got that much of the ball.

He won't be in their top 10 at the B & F, lucky to be in the top 20 I would have thought.

Mantis
19-10-2008, 09:30 PM

He won't be in their top 10 at the B & F, lucky to be in the top 20 I would have thought.

As was I.

Really I don't give 2 hoots about "disposals" these days, but I still believe that Crawford has something to offer, but as with ES he had the perfect opportunity to retire, but must still have the desire and more importantly the club's want for him to continue.

bornadog
19-10-2008, 11:52 PM

I agree, these guys just don't know when to give up and the embarresment comes when they do get that tap on the shoulder.

All the players mentioned in this thread should have given up before the tap.

aker39
20-10-2008, 11:51 AM

Wouldn't expect too many players at any club, that only played 14 games, to be in their top 10 of the B&F