PDA

View Full Version : My Shortlist Part 2 - Tall Utilities

Sockeye Salmon
18-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Ryan Schoenmakers - (F) 8 November 1990, 189cm 85kg. SA/Norwood/Tea Tree Gulley
"Jason McCartney: Ryan Schoenmakers – He only had it 12 times, but he looks a class act with the way he moves. He is a left-footer and has a good set of hands and agility. Ryan played as a defender early in the championships, but moved forward in the later stages, forming a strong attack with Lewis Johnston and Paul Cahill. He's got a really bright future."

"HFF 07: RYAN SCHOENMAKERS 189cm 85kg UTILITY Norwood
Long rangy left foot kick to compliment his strong aerial attributes, is a wonderful kick and really showed poinse throughout the championships, played in a variety of roles fro SA, Has good pace and is smart where he leads too,
PROS: - Marking, Pace, Footy smarts, Goal kicking,
CONS: - Size (to play AFL straight away), Engine,
PREDICTION: 20 - 40"

"ant555: Ryan Schoenmakers – 189cm, 85kg – Norwood.
Left foot CHF who had a good Champ series. Not overly tall for a CHF but moves well on the lead and takes a good mark. His pace is pretty good and he leads to the right areas on the ground. Skills are good and his goal kicking was pretty reliable.
I would be surprised if he does not get taken in the second or third rounds."

"rizzo: Ryan Schoenmakers - 85kg - 189cm - 08.11.1990
Like this bloke alot, and comes a cross as a genuine leadup half forward. Strong hands for a bloke between sizes and a nice penetrating kick. Gets a lot of depth into it and has no problems kicking from 40+ out. Made the most of playing second fiddle to Johnstone. He may be found out as being a bit short at AFL level, but if he can improve his running he could easily provide that half forward lead up role.
Skills - Kicking, Marking, Forward awareness"

Ryan Schoenmakers
Left foot CHF who had a good Champ series. Not overly tall for a CHF but moves well on the lead and takes a good mark. His pace is pretty good and he leads to the right areas on the ground. Skills are good and his goal kicking was pretty reliable.
I would be surprised if he does not get taken in the second or third rounds.

U19’s – 1 game, 2 goals, BOG
Reserves – 12 games, 20 goals, 3 times in best.

Loved the look of this kid and would take him in a heartbeat. Not a genuine traditional KP, more like a Brad Fisher style. Could turn into a Scott Lucas style if he bulks up. I don't expect him to make it to our pick, if he does, jump on.

Sockeye Salmon
18-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Tom Lynch - (F) 15 September 1990, 191cm 84kg. VicM/Sandringham Dragons/Haileybury College

"Nicko4: Lynch missed the majority of the 2007 season after undergoing a knee reconstruction but impressed enough in the opening three rounds of the TAC Cup season to be considered a likely early pick. In that time he averaged 24 disposals, nine marks, six hard ball gets, six inside 50s and two goals per match and looks capable of filling a number of roles."

"Alan McConnell: Tom Lynch - He was dominant early, but drifted out of the game. He presented up extremely well early in the game, when he was playing as a leading forward, coming up to half-forward."

"Jason McCartney: Tom Lynch – An AIS boy, Tom played centre half-forward and full-forward and late in the quarter he really presented well. He marked well in the air and was good at ground level. He ended up with 21 disposals and kicked four goals."

"???: It was really pleasing for 'Lynchy', considering he is coming off a full knee reconstruction last year. He's only been playing since Easter, but his preparation is second to none. He did everything that was asked of him in his rehab and he's reaping the rewards now. He maintained his fitness levels at such a high level that he has been able to play good footy since returning. Tom was really good in this match."

"HFF 07: TOM LYNCH 191cm 84kg UTILITY Sandringham Dragons/Haileybury College
A tall midfielder/utility, has good footy smarts has set up alot of goals from CHF for his school side and Sandringham, is able to play both ends ofthe ground and is was a genuine first rounder before being struck down with injury.
PROS: - Reads play well, Footy smart, Link player, Defensive pressure, 1%,
CONS: - Knee reco last year
PREDICTION: 15 - 35"

"foj1:: 24. Tom Lynch 191cm 84kg Vic Metro
Deceptively tall midfielder/ utility who has been a hampered by a knee injury last year. Lynch possesses footy smarts and reads the play exceptionally well. I see Lynch developing into a link player in the mould of Sam Fisher but when he was fully fit last year he played some very good games in the TAC on the ball early in the season."

"ant555: Tom Lynch – 191cm, 84kg – Sandringham Dragons / Haileybury College.
Good KP prospect who can play both ends of the ground. Takes a strong mark and has good pace for a big man. Knows where to lead to as a forward and his work rate is very good. His skills are pretty good and his defensive game is also pretty good. His goal kicking is ok and he sets up goals from CHF on a regular basis. Generally finds a lot of the ball which can be credited to work rate efforts. He had a knee reco last year so his efforts to get himself up and running for this years champs have been outstanding. If he did not miss so much time last year and early this year with injury he may well have been talked up as a genuine top 15 pick. Will give you 100% all day.
I can not see him being passed over. Should go second or third round."

"rizzo: Tom Lynch - 84kg - 191cm - 15.09.1990
Sneaky player who players smaller than his height suggests. A true forward flanker who is just as good above his body as he is below it. Sometimes doesn’t do the team thing and will blaze away towards goal. The thing that stands out for him is that he wins the ball alot at ground level, however if he is asked to be at the front of a pack or is after the loose ball he will do it without any problems. Very flexible. I like.
Skills - Ability to play tall and small, Aware of what is happening around him, Goal sense"

"Gilly1972: Lynch has a great footy brain and footy smarts and early last year i would have been all over him, but he hasn't grown at 191 and having lost a touch of mobility and speed post knee reco I'm not convinced he is the type of KPF we are looking for. Probably a forward flank/FP so I would probably use pick 40 on him, but personally prefer others at 24."

"TheBigUnit: Tom Lynch - ultra competitive, play-anywhere 191cm utility - I think every club could do with that type of player -ultimate bench player."

4 games, 5 goals, twice named in bests, 32 marks (ave 8), 6 contested (ave 1.5)

Looked cumbersome and not very agile. Too small for a KP and not mobile enough for a flank or midfield. Prefer others.

dog town
19-10-2008, 12:43 PM
The thing about Lynch is that alot of the coaches and experts really rate his intensity and work rate. I agree that he looks like he is a bit small for a KP and too slow for another role but if they are spot on about his dedication and work rate then it may just enable him to become a player. I suppose thats what the recruiters will be weighing up.

GVGjr
19-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Tom Lynch - (F) 15 September 1990, 191cm 84kg. VicM/Sandringham Dragons/Haileybury College

Looked cumbersome and not very agile. Too small for a KP and not mobile enough for a flank or midfield. Prefer others.

The thing about Lynch is that alot of the coaches and experts really rate his intensity and work rate. I agree that he looks like he is a bit small for a KP and too slow for another role but if they are spot on about his dedication and work rate then it may just enable him to become a player. I suppose thats what the recruiters will be weighing up.

Without his work ethic you wonder if anyone would have noticed him too much. I agree with the views that he isn't really tall enough for a KP and a step slow for a pure midfielder. He will probably still be available around our selections.

Scorlibo
19-10-2008, 02:17 PM
I disagree that Lynch is not tall enough for a key position. In todays game anyone 190+ with a big frame can play key forward. He falls in that category. Lets not forget that Fevola is 191cm. IMO its not how tall you are, its how you use your height/body and Lynch's ability to take 8 marks a game would suggest he does that very well. In years to come could form a formidable FF/CHF duo with Grant.

dog town
19-10-2008, 02:24 PM
I disagree that Lynch is not tall enough for a key position. In todays game anyone 190+ with a big frame can play key forward. He falls in that category. Lets not forget that Fevola is 191cm. IMO its not how tall you are, its how you use your height/body and Lynch's ability to take 8 marks a game would suggest he does that very well. In years to come could form a formidable FF/CHF duo with Grant. How tall you play is more important than how tall you are in cm's but it remains to be seen just how tall Lynch would be able to play at AFL level. I wouldn't be dissapointed if we took him but I have others I would prefer. You know he will compete which is something very appealing.

Scorlibo
19-10-2008, 02:31 PM
How tall you play is more important than how tall you are in cm's but it remains to be seen just how tall Lynch would be able to play at AFL level. I wouldn't be dissapointed if we took him but I have others I would prefer. You know he will compete which is something very appealing.

I hold the same sort of view. I would be happy to get him because I do believe he could hold down CHF and his workrate is very good but I would prefer to get Post because he would give us some versatility in terms of shuffling the back line around and seeing one of the tall backs (Post even) play forward.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Compared to others detailed by SS, these guys wouldn't be top 2 would they?

Scorlibo
19-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Compared to others detailed by SS, these guys wouldn't be top 2 would they?

Of the players which SS has identified Lynch is most proven and most highly rated.

bigwoofa
19-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Loved to get Ryan Schoenmakers but cant see him slipping to pick 31 =[

GVGjr
19-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Loved to get Ryan Schoenmakers but cant see him slipping to pick 31 =[

Yes, he seems like a quality player but as you say, he is a bit unlikely to still be available.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Higgins to 11 and Rioli to 11.

Stranger things have happened.

Scorlibo
19-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't classify Rioli at 12 as strange, that is certainly where I had him going.

Schoenmakers is quite likely to last to our pick. His skills aren't as great as many are making them out to be.

bigwoofa
19-10-2008, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't classify Rioli at 12 as strange, that is certainly where I had him going.

Schoenmakers is quite likely to last to our pick. His skills aren't as great as many are making them out to be.

I thought Schoenmakers skills were fair decent with a lovely long left foot and quite moverable for a tall.
Hopefully he does last to our pick.. and we pick him up :D

Sockeye Salmon
19-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Of all the blokes I considered, Schoenmaker would be my first choice. I thought he was a beauty.

I had no question marks on his skills at all.

LostDoggy
19-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Of all the blokes I considered, Schoenmaker would be my first choice. I thought he was a beauty.

Whats his pace like? From the youtube video he looked a bit slow.
I liked the way Spieght (never seen or heard of him) moved in the last 5seconds of that video.

LostDoggy
19-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Benjamin Speight from Norwood. Nice mover from the 3 sec video. Some encouraging comments about him in other Woof forums and other sites.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2008, 09:50 PM

SS,

Can you list your top 5 players (in the order you would draft). I take it you don't think we should look at mids (my point of view). Bearing in mind Post may not be looked at.

Scorlibo
19-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Benjamin Speight from Norwood. Nice mover from the 3 sec video. Some encouraging comments about him in other Woof forums and other sites.

Yep I like Speight a lot, quick and classy.

Sockeye Salmon
20-10-2008, 07:47 PM
SS,

Can you list your top 5 players (in the order you would draft). I take it you don't think we should look at mids (my point of view). Bearing in mind Post may not be looked at.

IMO, whether we look at taking a midfielder or not depends on how good they think Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis and Braedon Jones are going to be. If we will be loading up on midfielders over the next 2 years, grab the extra tall now.

I'm not convinced our midfield depth is that good and I wouldn't be totally against taking a midfielder with one of our picks.

To answer your question:

1. Ryan Schoenmaker (1st choice); if he's gone Jayden Post.
2. Michael Still, Paul Davis or Mitchell Brown. I haven't seen any of them so I wouldn't know which one to pick.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks SS. Scho sounds good, and you have given him a fair wrap, but who does he play like. I haven't seen him but he open paper he seems to be in the in between size. How many years would it take get him AFL ready?

GVGjr
20-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Listen to SEN tonight between 9pm and 10pm. Every Monday night they spend an hour going through the highly rated potential draftees.

Scorlibo
20-10-2008, 08:10 PM
IMO, whether we look at taking a midfielder or not depends on how good they think Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis and Braedon Jones are going to be. If we will be loading up on midfielders over the next 2 years, grab the extra tall now.

I'm not convinced our midfield depth is that good and I wouldn't be totally against taking a midfielder with one of our picks.

To answer your question:

1. Ryan Schoenmaker (1st choice); if he's gone Jayden Post.
2. Michael Still, Paul Davis or Mitchell Brown. I haven't seen any of them so I wouldn't know which one to pick.

I would be inclined to take a tall and a medium utility such as O'Keefe or Strauss.

Sockeye Salmon
20-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks SS. Scho sounds good, and you have given him a fair wrap, but who does he play like. I haven't seen him but he open paper he seems to be in the in between size. How many years would it take get him AFL ready?

Do you remember a really young and skinny flanker called Chris Grant?

He's mobile and doesn't take many marks (when you consider his size) but his skills are excellent.

Do you remember how everyone bagged Scott Lucas until he was 25 because he didn't take many contested marks? The question mark would be if Schoenmaker can put on weight and turn into a real CHF.

I would be inclined to take a tall and a medium utility such as O'Keefe or Strauss.

I don't know Strauss but I'd be amazed if O'Keefe lasts to anything like pick 31. He's a standout to me. Good size, wins the ball and his kicking is elite.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Scho anything like Turtle is a huge wrap. I think a forward like this and can play various roles would be good and compliment existing players well.

Mantis
20-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Scho anything like Turtle is a huge wrap. I think a forward like this and can play various roles would be good and compliment existing players well.

Do we really need another mid sized tall?

We already have quite a few of these type of players developing on our list.

Scorlibo
20-10-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't know Strauss but I'd be amazed if O'Keefe lasts to anything like pick 31. He's a standout to me. Good size, wins the ball and his kicking is elite.

I know, he's probably first round material. If he slips we should snap him up in a heartbeat. Strauss is quite a similar sort of player to O'Keefe but with not as much body size and a bit more pacy. Both are elite kicks. Strauss, like O'Keefe, is very unlikely to slide to pick 31.

soupman
20-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Anybody else think Tom Lynch reminds them of Mitch Hahn in the highlight clips. Doesn't seem to be a real lead up or talented forward, but a sort of bash and crash player who can create stuff from nothing by just continously pushing.

And by the way I'm a big wrap for Schoenmakers from what I've read and seen on youtube. His worst highlight was missing a shot on goal under pressure, nearly everyone else has atleast two monumental stuff ups.

And I'm not keen on Banner from what I've seen and read, seems to be very much a Farren Ray style kick.

Sockeye Salmon
20-10-2008, 09:56 PM

I didn't mean he's the next Chris Grant (that was Tim Walsh).

I meant a tall, skinny flanker with excellent skills. Who knows how much he'll bulk up and turn into.

I just think he looks a really good player.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2008, 10:10 PM
I didn't mean he's the next Chris Grant (that was Tim Walsh).

I meant a tall, skinny flanker with excellent skills. Who knows how much he'll bulk up and turn into.

I just think he looks a really good player.
That (tim) went well with the next Andrew McLeod...

Scorlibo
20-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Anybody else think Tom Lynch reminds them of Mitch Hahn in the highlight clips. Doesn't seem to be a real lead up or talented forward, but a sort of bash and crash player who can create stuff from nothing by just continously pushing.

And by the way I'm a big wrap for Schoenmakers from what I've read and seen on youtube. His worst highlight was missing a shot on goal under pressure, nearly everyone else has atleast two monumental stuff ups.

And I'm not keen on Banner from what I've seen and read, seems to be very much a Farren Ray style kick.

The Lynch - Hahn comparison is pretty fair, I would rate Lynch's hands and disposal better than Mitch though.

With Schoenmakers, he is a good kick but he lacks a yard of pace imo.

Nothing wrong with Banner's kicking, its just that he kicks too much when he should be handballing - when under pressure. Seems like a Scott West pre-handball to me.

Mofra
21-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Do you remember a really young and skinny flanker called Chris Grant?

He's mobile and doesn't take many marks (when you consider his size) but his skills are excellent.
Didn't he 150 goals from CHF for Daylesford?
Knocked out early when our recruiter went to watch him, then came back & played the 2nd half?

Go_Dogs
21-10-2008, 04:58 PM

Yes, I like Speight a lot and think he could be a very good value pick up for someone in the draft. I'd say at this stage he is very much like Higgins, someone who could eventually play some very good footy further up the ground, but at this stage a small forward role is probably his shot.

Played some decent roles for Norwood's SANFL side towards the end of the season, however had a bit of an ankle injury which probably held back his state screening sessions a bit.

I'd be very suprised if Neil Craig wasn't looking at him, and he is the type of guy who could last a fair while I think.

At this stage I'm leaning towards Schoenmakers not being available at our second selection.