PDA

View Full Version : My Shortlist Part 3 - Defenders

Sockeye Salmon
18-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Riley Milne - (KPD) 20 July 1990, 192cm 78kg. VicC/Murry Bushrangers/Mooroopna

"Jason McCartney: Riley Milne – A tall and lean key defender who had escaped my attention in the first couple of games. He really impressed early with his attack on the footy and courage to play in front. He was good overhead and also ended up winning a bit of footy, with 18 disposals and six rebound 50s."

"HFF 07: RILEY MILNE 192cm 78kg CHB/FB Murray Bushrangers/Mooroopana
A skinny yet competitive key defender, was really hard at the ball and was also a good rebounding option, was always on the ball and will be one that is looked at come draft day.
PROS: - Attack on the footy, Marking, Rebound,
CONS: - Body size
PREDICTION: 70+"

"ant555: Riley Milne – 192cm, 78kg – Murray Bushrangers.
Tall defender who was reasonable for Country during the champ series. His defensive skills are pretty good and he reads the ball coming into the opposition forward line well.
Has reasonable pace for a tall. Skills are pretty good and he works hard to provide some rebound when he can. Has had some TAC games where he has had very good numbers playing at CHB. Takes a lot of marks most weeks and plays in front a lot.
I think he is a good project defender for later in the draft."

"1Mitch1: Riley Milne- Vic Country top aged player- 192 cm and 78 kg. Has really come on this season. Played every game for Vic country holding down the full back position. Evasive and very silky for his size and has great skills. Has been part of the highly successful Murray Bushrangers side over the last 2 seasons and is one that would be a perfect pick up for the swans late in the draft. 60 +"

"TheBigUnit: Riley Milne - smooth mover for a tall defender and his rebounding ability really stood out. Seems a likely type as a rebounding third tall in defence."

17 games, 3 goals, named in best 4 times.
88 marks only 6 contested.
15 tackles.

I saw this guy in the TAC grand final and he looked like another Tiller to me (he even wore no. 35)

Sockeye Salmon
18-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Jayden Post - (OM) 5 December 1989, 195cm 86kg. Western Jets/Altona

19 year old KP back and probably one of the best contested marks in the TAC Cup this year, leading the league in that category. He's got pretty good athleticism and apparently his beep test at State Screening was good. He reads the play well and often gets across to contests to give his teammate a chop out.

His stand out game for the year was the one and only final the Western Jets played in. He had 35 touches and 15 marks (including six contested), played back for most of the game, but also swung forward late in the game when the Jets needed goals (and he kicked two), and played in the ruck a bit. He's got a great vertical leap, which allowed him to ruck a little at TAC Cup level but he'd be way undersized at AFL at 195cm (though apparently measured 194cm at State Screening). His leap does assist his stand out feature (marking) though.

"Snoop Dog: Overage player who is undoubtedly the best contested mark in the comp. had a super year but would have been handy if he could have played more VFL games at Willy. Plays at either end of the ground and whilst a good mark he is also good when the ball hits the ground. Quite athletic and can accumulate possessions."

"Cruiser23: Just like to put forward a name that might think about adding to that long and impressive list, Jayden Post. Small write-up on one of the most impressive games i've seen by someone in the TAC Cup, first week of the finals.
Jayden Post (195cm, 86kg) - Athletic tall defender who can take a very very good contested mark and because of his athleticism, he's very versatile. Was playing loose across half back, at 195cm has a lot of dash for a big man and is not afraid to take people on. Also has a good right boot on him. One of the older plays on the ground, third year in the TAC Cup. Seems to play very much like Jarrad Waite, not as athletic but still moves very well for a big man. Went forward in the final term and took some strong contested marks, showed good ability at ground level, kicked 2 goals 2 behinds in the final term and brought the Jets back (with some help from Mitch Banner) into the game after being 30 down a 3/4 time, very very impressive game.
In this game he had 19 kicks, 16 handballs, 15 marks (6 contested) and 3 tackles."

"Bachar43:
Post had 35 touches, 15 marks, about 10 hitouts and kicked 2 goals, best individual performance i've seen in a TAC cup match. He's been great all year and on the back of that effort on the big stage, should get drafted."

"ant555:
Close to one of the best games a tall has played and a million times better than a few games i have seen him play. If he played at even half that level most weeks he would be touted as a strong first round chance. Based on his overall year i see him as somewhere between pick 30 and 60. Who knows maybe higher after today."

"Vic Crow:
I would've had Post around my Top 50 I reckon, even before yesterday's game (I haven't actually done my full list yet, so I can't say for sure). I've really liked his season and mentioned him a couple of weeks ago in a thread about the Jets potential draftees."

"Cruiser23: Yesterday only reinforced my opinion of him and probably won't see him slide much further up in my rankings. Based roughly on the categories I've sorted players into I'd have him around 40."

2007 - 15 games, 2 goals, 7 times named in best.
59 marks, 15 contested

2008 (as overage player) - 20 games, 10 goals, 10 times named in best
161 marks, 51 contested

Loved his highlight reel. Exactly what we need, IMO. Very high kicking efficency as well.

westdog54
19-10-2008, 03:12 AM
Riley Milne - (KPD) 20 July 1990, 192cm 78kg. VicC/Murry Bushrangers/Mooroopna
I saw this guy in the TAC grand final and he looked like another Tiller to me (he even wore no. 35)

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

bulldogtragic
19-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Post sounds good. I'm not sure Milne is what we need.

Sockeye Salmon
19-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

A KP in a flankers body