PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday night - Mock Draft (2 Rounds)

GVGjr
26-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Is anyone interested in doing a Mock Draft on Tuesday night? We could kick off between 7.30pm to 9.00pm. If we need more time, we can also finish it off on Wednesday

We will work out who gets what teams if we get enough interested people. We would just need people to nominate their selection with a brief write up on why it is a good selection.

The draft order is:

1st Round
1 - Melbourne
2 - West Coast
3 - Fremantle
4 - Port Adelaide
5 - Essendon
6 - Carlton
7 - Brisbane
8 - Richmond
9 - North Melbourne
10 - Adelaide
11 - Collingwood
12 - Sydney
13 - St Kilda
14 - Western Bulldogs - Ayce Cordy (F/S)
15 - Geelong
16 - Hawthorn

PP
17 - Melbourne
18 - West Coast

2nd Round
19 - Melbourne
20 - West Coast
21 - Fremantle
22 - Port Adelaide
23 - Essendon
24 - Fremantle
25 - Brisbane
26 - Richmond
27 - North Melbourne
28 - Adelaide
29 - Collingwood
30 - Sydney
31 - Western Bulldogs
32 - Western Bulldogs
33 - Geelong
34 - Hawthorn

Sockeye Salmon
26-10-2008, 11:37 AM
We should all be able to contribute as to who we take at 31 & 32.

Can I do West Coast?

GVGjr
26-10-2008, 01:16 PM
We should all be able to contribute as to who we take at 31 & 32.

Can I do West Coast?

Good idea about picks 31 and 32.

I'll slot you in for West Coast

mjp
26-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I'll do Freo if you like, however due to the time difference I might be a poor candidate to contribute.

Scorlibo
26-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Sounds fun. I'll take the Tigers if thats alright.

GVGjr
26-10-2008, 02:41 PM
I'll do Freo if you like, however due to the time difference I might be a poor candidate to contribute.

You could PM me your likely suggestions. If no one minds I might take Carlton or the Saints who only have one pick that way I won't compromise anyone else's picks.

GVGjr
26-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Sounds fun. I'll take the Tigers if thats alright.

OK it's the Tiges for you. Just remember it's mid sized outside runners :) Actually that sounds like Clayton as well. ;)

soupman
26-10-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm happy to take a Brisbane, Essendon, Collingwood, Geelong or Hawthorn if you want. If we can't get enough we could probably do multiple teams.

Go_Dogs
26-10-2008, 02:58 PM
I'll jump on board for Adelaide.

GVGjr
26-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Just to confirm that everyone will also have to nominate their selections for the Dogs at 31 and 32 as well as the other side that they get.

dog town
26-10-2008, 04:07 PM
I will take North as long as there are no objections. Is the aim to predict how it will unfold or to pick who you think will be the best player to take?

GVGjr
26-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I will take North as long as there are no objections. Is the aim to predict how it will unfold or to pick who you think will be the best player to take?

Probably to analyse the club and select the best players to cover their weakness.

The Doctor
26-10-2008, 04:11 PM
I'll do Swannies.

mjp
26-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Probably to analyse the club and select the best players to cover their weakness.

Yes please. Recruiting history and all of that as well.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2008, 06:42 PM
We are probably struggling for numbers here, so if you are interested please let us know.
I only wish i could. I have dinner with the in-laws. But happy to trade if anyone is keen.

The Doctor
27-10-2008, 06:52 PM
We are probably struggling for numbers here, so if you are interested please let us know.

I'll take on an extra team if you want me to. Sure Sockeye will as well.

GVGjr
27-10-2008, 06:55 PM
I'll take on an extra team if you want me to. Sure Sockeye will as well.

We will see how it goes. Most of us would be happy to double up. I can take both the Saints and the Blues because they only have one selection each

Go_Dogs
27-10-2008, 07:08 PM
I'll jump on board for the Power too if need be, shouldn't be hard as their first round selection is all but decided already.

LostDoggy
27-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Is North gone? You can give me a team if there is one to spare.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Gimme Melb!

Watts. Lock him in.

Will PM the other picks.

GVGjr
27-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Gimme Melb!

Watts. Lock him in.

Will PM the other picks.

Sockeye, if you want you can nominate the next selection which might help MJP.

GVGjr
27-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Is North gone? You can give me a team if there is one to spare.

Would you like the Bombers?

Sockeye Salmon
27-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Sockeye, if you want you can nominate the next selection which might help MJP.

West Coast pick Daniel Rich - Subiaco.

We all know WC will pick Naitanui in the real thing and they probably need another ruckman on their list but I picked Rich for two reasons.

Firstly, IMO, he is the most obvious standout as the best player in his draft since Cooney. This kid will be an absolute star.

The second reason? I know Mike isn't all that wrapped in Naitanui and now I want to see what he does.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2008, 09:44 PM
I have PM'd GVGjr,

Melbourne is looking good with Watts at #1 and the list.

As for the dogs - In order, I like:

Scho (although will be gone),
Post,
Lynch,
Cahill,
Brown

Sockeye Salmon
27-10-2008, 09:47 PM
I have PM'd GVGjr,

Melbourne is looking good with Watts at #1 and the list.

As for the dogs - In order, I like:

Scho (although will be gone),
Post,
Lynch,
Cahill,
Brown

Lets wait and see who's still available at that pick.

GVGjr
27-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Updated
1 - Melbourne - Jacks Watts - 42-C-3
2 - West Coast - Daniel Rich - Sockeye Salmon
3 - Fremantle - MJP
4 - Port Adelaide - Griffen (2nd effort but will vacate for a good home)
5 - Essendon - Dogs-r-barking
6 - Carlton - GVG
7 - Brisbane - soupaman (will do other teams)
8 - Richmond - Scorlibo
9 - North Melbourne - Dog Town
10 - Adelaide - Griffen
11 - Collingwood - Happy Days
12 - Sydney - The Doctor
13 - St Kilda - GVG (2nd effort)
15 - Geelong - The Doctor (2nd effort)
16 - Hawthorn

PP
17 - Melbourne - 42-C-3
18 - West Coast - Sockeye Salmon

2nd Round
19 - Melbourne - 42-C-3
20 - West Coast - Sockeye Salmon
21 - Fremantle - MJP
22 - Port Adelaide - Griffen
23 - Essendon - Dogs-r-barking
24 - Fremantle - MJP
25 - Brisbane - soupaman
26 - Richmond - Scorlibo
27 - North Melbourne - Dog Town
28 - Adelaide - Griffen
29 - Collingwood - Happy Days
30 - Sydney - The Doctor
31 - Western Bulldogs (everyone)
32 - Western Bulldogs (everyone)
33 - Geelong - The Doctor (2nd effort)
34 - Hawthorn -

GVGjr
27-10-2008, 10:28 PM
West Coast pick Daniel Rich - Subiaco.

We all know WC will pick Naitanui in the real thing and they probably need another ruckman on their list but I picked Rich for two reasons.

Firstly, IMO, he is the most obvious standout as the best player in his draft since Cooney. This kid will be an absolute star.

Trust you not to stick to the script :) I agree that Rich is a terrific talent though but in needs based selections (and I know you are a fan) there is a huge chance that the Eagles will overlook Rich.

Now I'll ask a question, if 42-C-3 had have selected Rich who would you have selected?

The second reason? I know Mike isn't all that wrapped in Naitanui and now I want to see what he does.

Good way to test the friendship :)

GVGjr
27-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Scorlibo, Can you take the Hawks as your 2nd team if we get no other takers?

We are still looking for someone to take the Pies and Cats. Doc, can you take the Cats if we get no other takers?

I can take the Pies if we get no others stepping up.

Sockeye Salmon
27-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Trust you not to stick to the script :) I agree that Rich is a terrific talent though but in needs based selections (and I know you are a fan) there is a huge chance that the Eagles will overlook Rich.

Now I'll ask a question, if 42-C-3 had have selected Rich who would you have selected?

Watts.

West Coast already have Kennedy, Lynch, Hansen, Brown and Notte, but I'd take him anyway and tell Brown he just became a full back.

Then I'd try and offload Hansen next trade period.

Happy Days
27-10-2008, 11:45 PM
I'll do the Pies.

The Doctor
28-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Doc, can you take the Cats if we get no other takers?

ok will do

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 09:27 AM
I'll do the Pies.

Thanks, I'll update your name.

ok will do

We just about have them all covered now.

Scorlibo
28-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Scorlibo, Can you take the Hawks as your 2nd team if we get no other takers?

We are still looking for someone to take the Pies and Cats. Doc, can you take the Cats if we get no other takers?

I can take the Pies if we get no others stepping up.

I can do the Hawks if need be.

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 10:08 AM

Thanks, if anyone else wants a side just let us know.

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 08:08 PM

Done

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 08:13 PM
The final draft order is:

3 - Fremantle - Nicholas Naitanui - MJP
4 - Port Adelaide - Tyrone Vickery - Griffen (2nd effort)
5 - Essendon - Chris Yarran - Dogs-r-barking
6 - Carlton - Michael Hurley - GVG
7 - Brisbane - Jack Ziebell - soupaman
8 - Richmond - Scorlibo
9 - North Melbourne - Dog Town
10 - Adelaide - Griffen
11 - Collingwood - Happy Days
12 - Sydney - The Doctor
13 - St Kilda - GVG (2nd effort)
15 - Geelong - The Doctor (2nd effort)
16 - Hawthorn - Scorlibo (2nd effort)

PP
17 - Melbourne - 42-C-3

2nd Round
19 - Melbourne - 42-C-3
21 - Fremantle - MJP
24 - Fremantle - MJP
25 - Brisbane - soupaman
26 - Richmond - Scorlibo
28 - Adelaide - Griffen
30 - Sydney - The Doctor
34 - Hawthorn - Scorlibo - (2nd effort)

Hopefully MJP can log on and nominate the next pick and Griffen has PM'd his picks for both Port and then Adelaide.

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 08:44 PM
I think MJP has called for extra time :) Not sure that we can proceed until we hear from him.

Scorlibo
28-10-2008, 08:51 PM
I think MJP has called for extra time :) Not sure that we can proceed until we hear from him.

Looks like Sockeye's curveball had some affect;)

Go_Dogs
28-10-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm online and ready to go.

The Doctor
28-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Most selectors are here so I think we should get on with it and impose a time limit for each selection otherwise it will turn into a 2 week saga a la bigfooty. Perhaps GVG should select if anyone is absent?

LostDoggy
28-10-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm here

Go_Dogs
28-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Most selectors are here so I think we should get on with it and impose a time limit for each selection otherwise it will turn into a 2 week saga a la bigfooty. Perhaps GVG should select if anyone is absent?

I'd be happy with this as I have to make a move w/in the hour.

Can we assume mjp will take NN? :D

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 09:10 PM
I'll step in for MJP and select Nicholas Naitanui

Freo lost Warnock and Naitanui is a logical choice

Griffen you're next

The Doctor
28-10-2008, 09:14 PM
I'll step in for MJP and select Nicholas Naitanui

Freo lost Warnock and Naitanui is a logical choice

Griffen you're next

logical choice. I wonder if MJP had someone else up his sleeve for pick 3? Vickery perhaps?

Go_Dogs
28-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Pick#4 - Port Power

I select Tyrone Vickery - 200cm, 88.8kgs. Mobile ruckmen/key forward, who takes a good contested mark and is very agile for his size.

Given Lade is in his last year, the Power desperately need some more ruck options, Deluca has been delisted, and Lobbe (who is probably still more a forward than a ruck) is still a year or so off. Vickery will be groomed to take Lade's role, and should form a very good ruck combination with Brogan.

The Power have a very good array of small to medium midfield players, however are still probably an A-Grader away. However given the depth of the draft, securing Vickery is first priority.

As I haven't seen any of him, I've grabbed a few profiles from another site from those who have.

foj1 "Tyrone has come on in leaps and bounds this year after recovering from a knee injury. Vickery has the speed and endurance that will be required of ruckman in this new age of nonstop footy with very little breaks. Vickery has greatly improved his marking and kicking and could begin his career as a forward before eventually taking over the first ruck reins at Port Adelaide."

ant555 "Very good ruckman who can play a role as a forward too. Can find the ball around the ground and is one of the better players in the draft."

Adelaide media has also reported this selection is pretty much already wrapped up.

Go_Dogs
28-10-2008, 09:15 PM
logical choice. I wonder if MJP had someone else up his sleeve for pick 3? Vickery perhaps?

I was a bit worried about that actually...glad to be able to sneak in, although taking NN at #4 would by no means be a bad selection.

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 09:15 PM

Whilst MJP had some doubts it would have been a big decision for Freo to overlook a local boy with Nat's hype.

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 09:17 PM
dogs_r_barking has the next selection.

Sockeye Salmon
28-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Whilst MJP had some doubts it would have been a big decision for Freo to overlook a local boy with Nat's hype.

Just got a text from MJP - he does want Naitanui.

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Just got a text from MJP - he does want Naitanui.

Did he call you a so and so for taking Rich? :)

LostDoggy
28-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Huge decision on who to draft for the bombers, due to their ageing bookends. However, I have followed the universal opinion that the bombers will go with a midfielder and selected......Chris Yarran 180cm and 84 kg.

Chris has an explosive pace that would suit the Bombers running game, along with silky, clinical ball use making him a handy goal kicking midfielder. He has a bigger body than most indigenous players and would be ready to play senior football in 2009. BF compared him to Sean Burgoyne.

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Carlton selection is - Michael Hurley. I had another player in mind here because I thought Hurley might have gone but a key defender who can play some senior football next season will suit them.

soupman
28-10-2008, 09:39 PM
For Brisbane I wanted a midfielder that can kick goals.

Having not seen any junior footy, but having read just about every phantom draft and profile thread on Bigfooty (plus having done my own mock draft as procrastination from studying) it came down to two players, Ziebell and Sidebottom.

I went Ziebell mainly because a few posters have named him as the best midfielder after Rich in the draft, and because he can play a variety of positions, as well as being touted as a potential AFL leader, and really just seems like the type of player Voss would love.

"Jason McCartney: Jack Ziebell – This kid was the star in my opinion. He was outstanding and uses the ball so well. I've been lucky enough to have a bit to do with him through the AIS academy this year, and it's a big call, but I think he has AFL leadership written all over him. Against WA he was tough in the contest, his clearance work was fantastic and he set the standard for his teammates early diving head first into a contest.
When he was needed most in the final term he was winning contested football and also taking contested marks across half-forward. He just reads the play so well and as a result ended up with 22 touches. Jack also had seven clearances and three tackles and he is a great player to have back in the side, firing for Victoria Country."

"foj1:: 4. Jack Ziebell 188cm 84kg Vic Country
Ziebell is a power athlete who is very well suited to the next level. Ziebell can play as a strong marking 3rd tall as well as run through the midfield. He possesses great acceleration and is hard at the contest. He also has strong hands in marking contests and is a penetrating kick. I see Ziebell as utility type in the AFL who can play as a tall to create mismatches but also take his turn in the midfield."

"ant555: Jack Ziebell – 188cm, 84kg – Murray Bushrangers.
Strong midfielder /half back / half forward. Good size and excellent skills on both sides of the body. Reads the play very well and is good at finding his own ball. Clearance work is pretty good although at times he does just charge forward hoping that his side’s ruckman wins the tap and he can burst away with the ball. It looks good when it comes off but when the ball goes the other way he can get caught out big time. He is a very strong mark and regularly takes one grab contested marks. Kicking for goal is good and he can kick long distances.
The only real question mark I have on him is his pace. He has a reasonable burst of speed when it is needed but in general he is not overly quick. He is not a player that will break the lines with his pace.
Prediction - top 10."

"Quigley: Jack Zeibell (DOB – 28/2/91, Ht – 188, Wt – 84)
Very powerfully built bottom aged player who should be a top 5 player this year. He is listed as a utility and is equally adept at HF, HB or in the middle. What I really notice is that whatever group he is with lifts when he is there and he makes those around him better. Long term I see him as being an inside midfielder but expect him to start up forward or down back depending on the needs of the team picking him. As he builds his endurance expect him to move into the middle full time and become that type of big bodied mid like Voss or Buckley that adds so much to midfield balance. He is a presence in the middle and has the knack of reading the ball off hands and being in the right place at the right time in contests. He is not a huge possession winner at the moment which I think is a factor of a lack of endurance and the fact that he plays at least half the game either up forward or down back. What sets him apart from virtually everyone is the quality of his disposal. He and Rich in my opinion are a class apart from anyone else available this year. He is a right footer with quick hands and exceptional vision and who works well under pressure. He is good overhead and can take a nice contested mark. He is good tackler and does the 1%ers that assist teammates. He doesn’t have elite pace but does have enough to get by I think and he does have a burst which combined with his size allows him to break tackles. Overall he is a class player who has a chance to be an elite player at AFL level."

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Great pick. I would have taken him at that pick as well

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 09:43 PM
So far...

4 - Port Adelaide - Tyrone Vickery - Griffen
8 - Richmond - Jackson Trengove - Scorlibo
9 - North Melbourne - Hamish Hartlett - Dog Town
10 - Adelaide - Ryan Schoenmakers - Griffen
11 - Collingwood - Steele Sidebottom - Happy Days
12 - Sydney - Shaun McKernan - The Doctor
13 - St Kilda - Sam Blease - GVG
15 - Geelong - Jarrad Blight - The Doctor
16 - Hawthorn - Jordan Lisle - Scorlibo (2nd effort)

PP
17 - Melbourne - 42-C-3

2nd Round
19 - Melbourne - 42-C-3
21 - Fremantle - MJP
24 - Fremantle - MJP
25 - Brisbane - soupaman
26 - Richmond - Scorlibo
28 - Adelaide - Griffen
30 - Sydney - The Doctor

LostDoggy
28-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Yip it was a toss up between Ziebell and Yarran for me as well.

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 09:50 PM
All, it might be a good idea to keep the reasons for the picks a bit on the brief side so that we can keep on plowing though them. You can always add more details after you have made the pick.

Scorlibo
28-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Pick 8 - Richmond - Jackson Trengove - Key Defender/Ruckman - 196cm - 77kg - Calder

Trengove fits both of Richmond's major needs imo - tall defenders and a quality ruckman to compliment Simmonds and possibly take over from him when he bows out. Trengove has a massive leap and strong hands, is super athletic and moves around the ground well. Very versatile - showing himself to be a quality defender, forward and ruckman and that will suit the Tigers to a tee. Probably a key defender at AFL level primarily.

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Pick 8 - Richmond - Jackson Trengove - Key Defender/Ruckman - 196cm - 77kg - Calder

Trengove fits both of Richmond's major needs imo - tall defenders and a quality ruckman to compliment Simmonds and possibly take over from him when he bows out. Trengove has a massive leap and strong hands, is super athletic and moves around the ground well. Very versatile - showing himself to be a quality defender, forward and ruckman and that will suit the Tigers to a tee. Probably a key defender at AFL level primarily.

I see this guys as more of a potential Drew Petrie. The thing is that isn't quite a ruckman and might grown to be a touch tall for a KP.

mjp
28-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Sorry for running late...went for a run after work and basically forgot all about it.

SS has dead-set cheated by taking Rich - West Coast are going to take Natanui - they just are. But I agree with his comments about the quality of Rich.

Pick 3 - Fremantle - Nic Natanui - 194cm Ruckman - Swan Districts.
Unbelievably athletic player who has already played 20 or so games of senior football (including a grand final) despite being just 18 years of age. If he was Victorian, he would have won back to back medals in the TAC Cup...but it isn't quite that simple in the club system in WA.

Pros - Athleticism, attack on the footy, preparedness to chase/harrass.
Cons - Seems to lack footy smarts - is very see ball-get ball - and uncertainty whether his size will allow him to play ruck (his best position today) at AFL level.

Super, super talent. Freo tend to go the 'monster' ruckman option (see exhibit a: Sandilands; and exhibit b: Warnock) so if the draft goes this way (which it wont!!!) then I will be interested to see how they use him. Natanui has stated that he wants to become a key position forward - a frightening thought if he can figure out the whole 'leading for the ball' thing - and has the work ethic to figure it out. This kid will be interesting to watch.

Oh - one other thing - better player than Franklin at the same age, and it isn't even close.

dog town
28-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Pick 9- Hamish Hartlett, 182cm 74kg, SA, Midfielder

Will give reasoning shortly to speed things up.

Go_Dogs
28-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Pick#10 - Adelaide Crows

I select Ryan Schoenmakers - Could be anything from 189 to 195cm tall depending on who you ask (damn draft camp not releasing results other than top 10!). Lead up CHF type, with great speed highlighted by his 2.9s 20m sprint, and winning the repeat 6 x 30m sprint at draft camp. He also recorded a vertical leap of 69cm putting him 7th. Not the most talked of key forward in the draft, but one whose stocks have been consistently rising over the last month or so.

The Crows are still short of key forward options, but have a few talls coming through with Tippett and Walker, and hopefully Sellar & Hentschel too, along with Stevens and Moran who both had runs up forward later in the season and got amongst the goals (but are probably better suited down back).

I was tempted to go for a midfielder first selection, but with Thompson, Reily, Porplyzia and Vince they have a good foundation of young-to-mid aged midfielders, plus have Dangerfield and Douglas as early draft selections who they'll be looking for bigger midfield impacts from in coming seasons.

Schoenmakers really fits their need for a lead up CHF, providing a bit more polish than Gill does. He probably has enough tricks to play as a flanker until he develops the size to consistently play on big bodies. Along with Tippett and Walker, he could form one of the best tall forward combinations in the AFL.

Lewis Johnston was the other option I was considering, but feel Schoenmakers has more upside, and fits into the Crows premiership puzzle a bit better. (Plus I've seen more of him!).

Happy Days
28-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Collingwood - Pick #11 - Steele Sidebottom

Very happy to see he's still around. Collingwood needs a classy mid and this guy has class in spades. His TAC Cup G/F performance is very evident of this.

The Doctor
28-10-2008, 10:02 PM
12 Sydney – Shaun McKernan (Calder / 196 / 95)

A potential power key forward for the Swans. With Hall at the end I was tossing up between Schoenmakers and McKernan. With Schoe already gone the choice was easy.

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Pick 13# St Kilda select Sam Blease
The Saints need pace and this kid will add a lot of dash to their midfield. I was also very tempted to go with Hill at this pick.

dog town
28-10-2008, 10:06 PM
After looking at North's list I decided the two things they needed most were quality midfielders in both the long and short term as well as a key defender. I pretty much decided that if I couldn't get Hurley (always going to be a long shot) then I would give Trengrove (out of my hands in the end) a miss and go the best midfielder left which I had down as Ziebell, Hartlett and Sidebottom in that order. I just think they need some real quality through the middle. They have a number of bits and pieces players and get away with it by playing a very structured game plan. They need to come out of that by getting elite talent through that centre square.

In Hartlett they have a guy who I believe will be a 25+ touch a game player in years to come. These players are often underrated at draft time and pushed down the order for flashier types but IMO Hartlett is a cant miss option.

I will look to bolster the midfield further with my second pick.

Are we doing the 2nd round tonight?

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 10:06 PM
With Cordy taken by the Dogs - Doc's up next with the Cats selection

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Are we doing the 2nd round tonight?

Probably not although I do have the picks PM'd to me for the Dee's and we might make a few inroads into the next round. It can be done tomorrow at everyone's leisure.

dog town
28-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Probably not although I do have the picks for the Dee's and we might make a few inroads into the next round. It can be done tomorrow at everyone's leisure. Suits me. Got a 5am start:(

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Suits me. Got a 5am start:(

I will be starting about 6.30am so I sort of feel your pain. :)

The Doctor
28-10-2008, 10:11 PM
# 15 Geelong- Jarrad Blight (Swan Districts / 192 / 82)

Took the advice of my WA scout (MJP)

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 10:12 PM

We have had a few bolters but he has leapt out of the blocks. Nice selection. Perhaps a Mackie clone in the making.

soupman
28-10-2008, 10:15 PM

Having read all the opinions on this guy I can't help thinking that should he slip to our pick we'd take him in a heartbeat. He's just such a Clayton sounding player, tallish, athletic who could develop in a few positions.

Scorlibo
28-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Pick 16 - Hawthorn - Jordan Lisle - Key Defender/Forward - 196cm - 87kg - Oakleigh

No surprises here, Hawthorn's biggest need is key defenders and this guy is by far and away the best of those available. Handy with the ability to switch forward if need be.

Edit: Was a toss-up between Blight and Lisle. Doc's Blight pick up left me with Lisle.

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 10:18 PM
The first round has been completed and it looks like this: By the Lewis Johnston name stands out as someone who has slipped down the draft slide.

I'm up next for the PP filling on for 42-C-3 who PM'd me his picks.

PP
17 - Melbourne - Nick Suban - 42-C-3
18 - West Coast - Lewis Johnston - Sockeye Salmon

2nd Round
19 - Melbourne - Tom Swift - 42-C-3
20 - West Coast - Rhys O'Keefe - Sockeye Salmon
21 - Fremantle - Steve Hill - MJP
24 - Fremantle - MJP
25 - Brisbane - soupaman
26 - Richmond - Scorlibo
28 - Adelaide - Griffen
30 - Sydney - The Doctor

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Priority Pick - Pick 17# - Melbourne - Nick Suban.
Classy small defender come midfielder who will compliment the selection of Jack Watts.

Sockeye must be plotting another way to upset his cross town Freo mate.

Sockeye Salmon
28-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Priority pick no. 18 - West Coast - Lewis Johnston, North Adelaide

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Round #2 - Pick #19 - Melbourne - Tom Swift.

Sockeye Salmon
28-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Pick 20 - West Coast: Rhys O'Keefe, North Adelaide

Sockeye Salmon
28-10-2008, 10:31 PM
That's it for me tonight.

mjp
28-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Pick 21 - Fremantle select: Steve Hill - West Perth Footy Club

Quick, smooth moving left footed mid-fielder...more to follow later.

Scorlibo
28-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Are we going to stop for the night?

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 10:33 PM
That's it for me tonight.

MJP has lodged a protest anyway accusing you of draft tampering. I think you might be in strife. :D

It might slow down a bit because I only have Griffen's next pick. The rest can be done tomorrow or later tonight as people log on.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and thanks to everyone for making the time available.

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Are we going to stop for the night?

Yes, don't feel obliged to stay on. It won't matter of it comes to a halt.

Scorlibo
28-10-2008, 10:35 PM
MJP has lodged a protest anyway accusing you of draft tampering. I think you might be in strife. :D

It might slow down a bit because I only have Griffen's next pick. The rest can be done tomorrow or later tonight as people log on.

Kudos to you for organising GVGjr:)

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Updated - I don;t have Griffen#16's next pick but just in case Dogs-R-Barking logs back on I'll nominate a player for him

PP

2nd Round
22 - Port Adelaide - Mitch Robinson - Griffen
23 - Essendon - Matthew Broadbent - Dogs-r-barking
24 - Fremantle - Clancee Pearce - MJP
25 - Brisbane - Dayne Beams - soupaman
26 - Richmond - Scorlibo
28 - Adelaide - Griffen
30 - Sydney - The Doctor

soupman
28-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Sounds good.

Go_Dogs
28-10-2008, 10:56 PM
GVGjr, if it's ok (as we're through for the night) that I change my selection? I don't think I was very clear with my list, and I think you read it from back to front due to my poor instruction. :o

Mitch Robinson was the next available name.

LostDoggy
28-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Apart from MJP, everyone was just guessing. Right???

GVGjr
28-10-2008, 11:11 PM
GVGjr, if it's ok (as we're through for the night) that I change my selection? I don't think I was very clear with my list, and I think you read it from back to front due to my poor instruction. :o

Mitch Robinson was the next available name.

I'll fix that up now.

soupman
28-10-2008, 11:11 PM

I'm pretty sure MJP was just guessing as well. Unless he can see the future.

Sockeye Salmon
29-10-2008, 08:40 AM

That's right.

There's an absolute set order in which everyone must be chosen.

Are we guessing? Well, for starters we don't have access to personality traits like recruiters do and we only have snippets of draft camp info.

Oh yeah, and we're all seen these guys on 3 minute videos and in real life 1-2 times for most of them.

Of course we're ****ing guessing, you tool.

Sockeye Salmon
29-10-2008, 08:42 AM

I made it up to him by not picking Steve Hill with my 2nd rounder.

bulldogtragic
29-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Melbourne FC's head of recruiting, 42-C-3, today said he was thrilled with the results.

"Well what can I say, being crap this year has really worked for us!"

After a horrible year, the Demons were able to secure talented forward sensation Jack Watts. "Watts is a star. We see this kid playing 200 plus games and hope he gives the club goal kicking record a tilt. It's not like anyone else on our list knows who to kick a goal" said 42-C-3.

After securing a tall forward the Dees went with Nick Suban, with 42-C-3 keen as mustard. "After losing Shane Woewodin we have screaming out for another classy, brownlow medalist midfielder". Suban slipped a little and the Dees pounced. "We hope he brings the heart of Ben Holland and the maturity of Nathan Carroll to the club".

The Dees then stole Tom Swift when the WCE headed by Sockeye Salmon overlooked him. Swift, previously thought to be a top 10 pick has fallen down the order after two serious knee injuries during his junior years. 42-C-3 said, "Just look at the career of David Schwartz, knee injuries mean nothing. He is also a 200 game player and we believe we are putting a great future midfield in place to go with our other young good mids".

42-C-3 and coach Dean Bailey are aware they need a few more years of poor performances before expecting a rise up the ladder. Unfortunately the introduction of the Gold Coast team and draft concession will really hurt their chances. "We believe if we can secure the best available in the PSD, in Courtney Johns and Zac Dawson (to replace Neitz and Carroll), we could surprise a few next year. If we can convince Paul MacNamee to come back too just watch out football world. But in the mean time we just hope our members are still content to be shaken by the ankles at functions.

42-C-3 would not deny the rumour Western Bulldogs Football Club have made a 5 year offer to replace the outgoing Scott Clayton, but it is beleived he is travelling to Tibet this week to uncover the next Inoke Ratu, with any firm decision to be made in early November.

Melbourne FC - Draft Rating - 9/10

LostDoggy
29-10-2008, 03:40 PM
According to the local paper Fremantle is considering Stephen Hill at number 3 instead of Daniel Rich.

LostDoggy
29-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Essendon #23 Mathew Broadbent

LostDoggy
29-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Matthew Broadbent

Another SA boy who has come through the AIS/AFL Academy, he can play half-back, and at times through the midfield, showing good hard attack on the ball with clean hands and able to run and break the lines. He seems a good disciplined kid who can hold down a run-with role in his game and play well. I can see go go Gadget taking him under his wing. Would have taken Hurley but missed out :(

GVGjr
29-10-2008, 07:14 PM
MJP sent me through his next selection

Clancee Pearce for Fremantle at 24. There are a lot of other more attractive options, but I think that Fremantle will go for leadership over leg-speed and take the kid who could simply be described as a footballer.

Pros - Versatility, footy smarts, kicking skills.
Cons - Leg speed.

GVGjr
29-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Soupaman is up next

Happy Days
29-10-2008, 07:23 PM
According to the local paper Fremantle is considering Stephen Hill at number 3 instead of Daniel Rich.

Vintage Fremantle.

bulldogtragic
29-10-2008, 09:45 PM
The suspense is killing me.

soupman
29-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Sorry guys. Have struggled to get on the family computer.

Brisbane pick Dayne Beams.

Just a player who I see going a bit higher than expected, a Queensland boy and another player Brisbane could chuck in the middle.

GVGjr
29-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Updated

PP

2nd Round
26 - Richmond - James Strauss - Scorlibo
27 - North Melbourne - Michael Walters -Dog Town
28 - Adelaide - Matthew DeBoer - Griffen
29 - Collingwood - David Zahkaris - Happy Days
30 - Sydney - Aaron Cornelius - The Doctor
31 - Western Bulldogs - Michael Still - (everyone)
32 - Western Bulldogs - Jarrod Roughead -(everyone)
33 - Geelong - Nick Heyne - The Doctor (2nd effort)

Scorlibo
29-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Pick 26 - Richmond - James Strauss - Medium Utility

The Tigers have a pretty balanced list and will go best available here which is Strauss in my opinion. Wonderfully versatile player who can win his own ball as well as recieve from others, run and carry. Has a beatiful kick and silky skills. Can find the ball on a regular basis. Wouldn't be surprised to see him rise into the first round along with O'Keefe.

dog town
29-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Pick 27- North - Michael Walters- Rover/Forward

Reasoning to follow.

bulldogtragic
29-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Who will the dogs go with????

GVGjr
29-10-2008, 10:30 PM
I have Griffen's next pick

Selection #28 - Matthew DeBoer - A hard at it midfielder.

dog town
29-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Once I couldn't get the key defenders I wanted (Hurley and Trengrove) I narrowed it down to a choice between another classy running player which I thnk North need and the best available. Basically my choice was between Walters and Cornelius. I see Walters developing as a very damaging rover/forward type. His left foot has rare quality and he is very dangerous at the foot of a pack. Some may say they already have similar types in Campbell and Thomas but I am a big fan of Walters (the little I saw) and think he will give them a real touch of class down the track.,

It was a big call to overlook Cornelius. Not only is he a talented young forward but he is a size that North may need a few years down the track. They are well served for tall forwards but most of them are monsters of 196-202cm. At 192cm Cornelius offered a different size and shape but I am confident Walters will give them plenty of punch through the middle and up forward.

I actually had Jamie Sheahan as my next best midfield option which not many would agree with. Stands up in tackles and is very strong through the hips. Its a trait only the best players have these dyas. Add his ability to hit the ball at pace and I think he could be a very good player with an AFL prep. I would take Sheahan and Walters top 20 from the little I have seen. First to admit I have only seen very little of them.

Happy Days
29-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Argh...thought I was gonna have the luxury of choosing between DeBoer and Strauss...

With those two out of the picture, I'll take David Zahkaris. The pies need mids, and he's the best one available.

GVGjr
29-10-2008, 11:18 PM
The Doc Pm'd me his selection for the Swans and he has gone with the best key forward left in Aaron Cornelius.

This means we can all start having a look at the picks for the Dogs.

LostDoggy
29-10-2008, 11:53 PM
OK - can I go first and pick Banner - as I know the club are keen on him.

GVGjr
30-10-2008, 07:47 AM
I think we should all nominate two players.

My first one would be Ash Smith who is a clever mid sized forward and midfielder. Good skills and pace as well. Others I would consider are Hannebery, Heyne and Rockliff

The next pick is harder than I thought. Roughead, Still, Brown and I'd like to select Post even though I'm not convinced he is on Clayton's radar.
I'll nominate Jayden Post but I think Mitch Brown might be the sort of player we target.

The Doctor
30-10-2008, 07:56 AM
plenty of good players left in Heyne, Jetta, Ash Smith. I would be happy with any of those.

Forced to choose I'll go Heyne and Still as our big fella.

Go_Dogs
30-10-2008, 10:01 AM
I'd be pretty happy with Smith and Brown, or Heyne and Still. Doing this exercise just shows how deep this draft is.

Scraggers
30-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks guys ... this has been some enjoyable reading, and whilst I don't agree with some of the decisions (for example I don't think Yarran will be picked up that early; he is too speculative with his attitude and work ethic etc) I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

For my two cents worth ... I would hope if the draft did go this way, we would now look at Tom Lynch and Jordan Roughead with picks 31 & 32 ... I think with the stocks we already have, if these two can cut the mustard, it woud be great to watch them work in tandem

soupman
30-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Nick Heyne sounds good to me, and Michael Still just reads so much like a Clayton style player.

Sockeye Salmon
30-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Still is a definate for me. 194cm, very bottom age, 41 goals, lots of contested marks, good work ethic.

I'd like another tall with our other pick as well - say, Mitch Brown.

If we do go small, I'll bring up another name, Tom Allwight from Tassie. 185cm half back or mid. I just loved his attack on the ball and his ball use. I see him as a more skillful Dylan Addison.

Allwight was the best player in the Tassie side the day I saw them (I've only seen them the once). I thought Robinson was slow and his kicking extremely suspect (terrible action but didn't miss too many targets that day, seems to know his limitations and almost always kicked short). Cornelious kicked 4 that day but at least two were from terrible defensive efforts (easy spoils missed) and the other two were uncontested.

Dogs r Barking, how are you so sure about Banner? I am almost certain we're not interested in him or Post.

soupman
30-10-2008, 11:45 AM
OK - can I go first and pick Banner - as I know the club are keen on him.

From what I've read and seen of Banner I'm not keen. Seems to be very Farren Ray like with his disposal by foot. It seems the main reason he has been talked about on this board has been cause he's from the Western Jets. I would prefer going for someone like Kade Klemke over him.

dogman
30-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Still is a definate for me. 194cm, very bottom age, 41 goals, lots of contested marks, good work ethic.

I'd like another tall with our other pick as well - say, Mitch Brown.

I'll be happy with those choices. So Still and Brown

Happy Days
30-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Was going to go with Lynch and Roughead, but Sockeye's post has swayed me to say Still ahead of Lynch. Wouldn't be surprised to hear us call out a mid on draft day either, someone like Heyne looms as the best option.

bulldogtragic
30-10-2008, 06:32 PM
42-C-3:

2 Talls.

Still
Post (Unlikely)
Davis
Brown
Roughead

Sockeye Salmon
30-10-2008, 07:00 PM
I didn't realise Roughead hadn't been taken.

As with 42-C-3. ANy two of Still, Roughead, Brown or Davis

The plus side is it looks like there will be a few for us to choose from.

The Doctor
30-10-2008, 07:20 PM
I reckon we can lock in Still at pick 31.

the other selection at 32 remains unclear at this stage. Leading contenders are

Heyne, Brown, Post, Roughead with Ash Smith and Allwight also suggested.

Scorlibo
30-10-2008, 07:36 PM
the other selection at 32 remains unclear at this stage. Leading contenders are

Heyne, Brown, Post, Roughead with Ash Smith and Allwight also suggested.

Also pop Sam Wright into that group.

I'd like any one of Still, Brown and Post for pick 31 and then Wright/Heyne/Smith for 32.

GVGjr
30-10-2008, 08:09 PM
42-C-3:

2 Talls.

Still
Post (Unlikely)
Davis
Brown
Roughead

Can you see Clayton taking 3 talls with just 3 draft selections?
As much as I am a fan of Roughead I can't see him being in the mix because Clayton (and probably Eade) just don't value ruckman enough and already having selected Cordy I doubt he would add another one.
More likely he will go with an athletic tall and someone who might be able to play on a flank and pinch hit as a KPP.

Dancin' Douggy
30-10-2008, 08:40 PM
We really are bored aren't we.....................bring on 2009

bulldogtragic
30-10-2008, 08:55 PM
As much as I am a fan of Roughead I can't see him being in the mix because Clayton (and probably Eade) just don't value ruckman enough and already having selected Cordy I doubt he would add another one.
More likely he will go with an athletic tall and someone who might be able to play on a flank and pinch hit as a KPP.
I like the sound of Post, but doesn't seem the Dogs are interested. Assuming that premise is correct, lets rule him out.

Brown. I'd like to know what he has done. Seems he is highly touted, but hasn't done as much as others.

Perhaps we can do a brownlow style count. Three, Two and One vote for a player. And we can tally whenever suits, the player to get the most votes is pick 31, and the second pick 32??? If that sounds ok, my votes are:

3 Votes - Still
2 Votes - Roughead
1 Vote - Davis

bulldogtragic
30-10-2008, 09:01 PM
As for the direct question. Possibly.

Cordy as a forward, who can ruck. But then a forward (Still). And a ruck (Roughy).

Assuming we could use another KPP forward to increase the odds of getting a decent one or two, and thatn Hudson, Wight (not a rucks a-hole) and Skipper may not be on the list for 2010 - And Mulligan and Shaw not dead certs, we could do with another young ruck to add to Minson. Come 2010 we might be in a little strife for rucks, Roughead has a bit of weight to him so in two years he may be ready to be blooded.

Libba, Wallace and Jones, cheaply in the next few years. A bit of depth for mids (not enough i admit). I would like to see the three talls this year and then add to our mids over the next year or two to replace outgoing senior mids.

Logic aside, Clayton may not go three tals. I just hope he does.

The Doctor
30-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Let's lock it in or this will go forever

31. Still

32. Roughead

Now pick 33 for Geelong

Nick Heyne

Mantis
30-10-2008, 09:23 PM

31. Still

32. Roughead

Now pick 33 for Geelong

Nick Heyne

It's not like there is much else to talk about and it sure beat's the hell out of talking about the cricket.

dog town
30-10-2008, 10:15 PM
The odds are at least one of our 2 second round choices will be a player we have not mentioned. Clayton cares little for reputation and in some cases performances.

GVGjr
30-10-2008, 10:20 PM

31. Still

32. Roughead

Now pick 33 for Geelong

Nick Heyne

Agreed. One selection to go.

Scorlibo
30-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Pick 34 - Hawthorn - Jayden Post - Key Defender

Another quality key defender for the Hawks to help out their struggling key defence stocks. I rate him pretty highly, great contested mark, strong frame, quick, takes them on and brushes them off and kicking skills are good.

GVGjr
30-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Updated

PP

2nd Round
34 - Hawthorn - Jayden Post - Scorlibo - (2nd effort)

Scorlibo
30-10-2008, 11:02 PM
I thought Robinson was slow and his kicking extremely suspect (terrible action but didn't miss too many targets that day, seems to know his limitations and almost always kicked short)

Sorry Sockeye but I've got to disagree with you here, I assume you're talking about the last round of the championships, Robinson's kicking action is far from terrible! On the left foot it is a little un-co and mechanic but on the right he is more than comfortable kicking while travelling at full speed and the follow through on his running-kick is great. Hits targets with ease and while not being especially quick as some make him out to be, he definitely isn't slow imo.

From what I've read and seen of Banner I'm not keen. Seems to be very Farren Ray like with his disposal by foot. It seems the main reason he has been talked about on this board has been cause he's from the Western Jets. I would prefer going for someone like Kade Klemke over him.

I understand where you're coming from with the Ray-Banner kicking, everyone talks about how Banner's kicking when under pressure is hurried and in-effective, and obviously that's how you would describe Faz aswell but Banner's pressured kicking comes around the stoppages when he should be handballing to a player in more space - imo its not the kicking which is suspect with him its his decision to kick in the first place. Farren's pressure would come from a chasing player behind him on most occasions, certainly not from within the stoppages like Banner's. Anyway point is I would rate Banner's kicking a lot higher than Ray's, he just needs to handball a bit more considering where he plays.

GVGjr
30-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Scorlibo, you have the selection

Scorlibo
30-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Scorlibo, you have the selection

Have selected :cool: ^^^

GVGjr
30-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Have selected :cool: ^^^

Sorry missed it.

Good draft really. I would have never have taken Hurley in the top 10 but a Carlton mate was adamant that he was a good fit for their side.

Any surprises?

Scorlibo
30-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Sorry missed it.

Good draft really. I would have never have taken Hurley in the top 10 but a Carlton mate was adamant that he was a good fit for their side.

Any surprises?

What don't you like about Hurley?

I think most would have expected Smith to get picked up. Heyne was a slider, Cornelius another, De Boer, Blight, Schoenmakers and Beams were all risers.

Outside of those taken, my top 5 would probably be Lynch, Wright, Smith, Ediriwickrama and Banner. Wright is my first two round smoky, great size, exquisite ball handling, great disposal including very attractive handballing skills and is a fine mark.

Well done to all who participated:)

FrediKanoute
31-10-2008, 01:19 AM
I understand where you're coming from with the Ray-Banner kicking, everyone talks about how Banner's kicking when under pressure is hurried and in-effective, and obviously that's how you would describe Faz aswell but Banner's pressured kicking comes around the stoppages when he should be handballing to a player in more space - imo its not the kicking which is suspect with him its his decision to kick in the first place. Farren's pressure would come from a chasing player behind him on most occasions, certainly not from within the stoppages like Banner's. Anyway point is I would rate Banner's kicking a lot higher than Ray's, he just needs to handball a bit more considering where he plays.

Wouldn't you say though that this is more of a problem? The instinctive decision to kick rather than handball is just that instinct.....he doesn't make a conscious decision, he just does what his body is trained to do in a situation.....it is almost mechanical

GVGjr
31-10-2008, 07:42 AM
What don't you like about Hurley?

I think most would have expected Smith to get picked up. Heyne was a slider, Cornelius another, De Boer, Blight, Schoenmakers and Beams were all risers.

Outside of those taken, my top 5 would probably be Lynch, Wright, Smith, Ediriwickrama and Banner. Wright is my first two round smoky, great size, exquisite ball handling, great disposal including very attractive handballing skills and is a fine mark.

Well done to all who participated:)

I like him as a player but I just rate some others ahead of him in this years crop.

To me Johnston was one of the sliders.

The Doctor
31-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Swans picks

12. McKernan
30. Cornelius

The plan was simple. Rebuild the forward line. ATM the Swans have Mickey O on his last legs and Hall likewise. Additionally Davis is gone. So the focus was to find someone who could be a potential power key forward (McKernan) and another key forward target who could mark and kick well (Cornelius).

At pick 12 had McKernan gone earlier, Schoenmakers or Cornelius would have been our alternatives at pick 12, although Schoenmakes got snapped up earlier anyway.

At pick 30 the alternatives were Rockliff, Heyne and Jetta.

We got our men so we are happy.

The Doctor
31-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Geelong picks

15. Blight
33. Heyne

Very happy to get the 2 men we really wanted. The aim was to get players who could provide some run and carry across the field as well as use the ball well. We were keen on speed but if we could have size as well then we would be over the moon and this is what we got. In terms of the future we wanted players that could develop into quick and powerful players that offered us around the ground versatility.

at pick 15 the alternatives to Blight were O'Keefe and Walters

at pick 33 the alternatives to Heyne were Ash Smith, Jetta and Hanneberry once Pearce and Broadbent were already snapped up.

Great result for the Cats.

Desipura
31-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Guys if I can put my two bobs worth........if there is not a quality key fwd at pick 31, surely we should look at a quality key backman.
Williams IMHO could become a damaging forward with his explosive speed combined with his strength/mobility.
Also I cannot see us going for Roughead as we have Minson who is of a similar ilk although Roughead appears to know more about playing fwd.

The Doctor
31-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Also pop Sam Wright into that group.

Can't say I've seen much of him but what little I have he does look like the typical Clayton prototype midsized flanker.

soupman
31-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Guys if I can put my two bobs worth........if there is not a quality key fwd at pick 31, surely we should look at a quality key backman.
Williams IMHO could become a damaging forward with his explosive speed combined with his strength/mobility.
Also I cannot see us going for Roughead as we have Minson who is of a similar ilk although Roughead appears to know more about playing fwd.

Does anyone else think reading the descriptions of Reddan he is possibly the second coming of Ben Hudson: A strongish bodied ruckman with excellent second efforts.

If Roguhead isn't available (who I'm not convinced about) we could look at this guy.

Sockeye Salmon
31-10-2008, 12:58 PM

Definately, but there doesn't seem to be too many defenders about but there might be a few forwards to pick from.

I don't agree that we don't need another ruckman. I suppose it depends on whether Cordy is a ruckman or a forward, but at this stage when Hudson retires we will only have Minson, Cordy and Shaw and Shaw is 197cm and not particularily athletic so he would have to have a big ? on him.

Desipura
31-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Definately, but there doesn't seem to be too many defenders about but there might be a few forwards to pick from.

I don't agree that we don't need another ruckman. I suppose it depends on whether Cordy is a ruckman or a forward, but at this stage when Hudson retires we will only have Minson, Cordy and Shaw and Shaw is 197cm and not particularily athletic so he would have to have a big ? on him.

Yes fair call re not too many defenders about. Ayce is currently 203cm and apparently still growing. I do not know of any permanent forwards at that height. I do not know that a Minson/Roughead combination offers us much variation whereas an Ayce Cordy could potentially become an extra onballer in a sense.
Minson/Cordy combination provides us with grunt and athleticism although Ayce is probably a few years away before he becomes a regular.

Go_Dogs
31-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Any surprises?

Johnston slippign to about #20 was a big shock. I wasn't expecting him to be available at #10, but have Schoenmakers slightly ahead of him anyway. No doubt he'll be gone well before #20 in the real thing.

hujsh
31-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Yes fair call re not too many defenders about. Ayce is currently 203cm and apparently still growing. I do not know of any permanent forwards at that height. I do not know that a Minson/Roughead combination offers us much variation whereas an Ayce Cordy could potentially become an extra onballer in a sense.
Minson/Cordy combination provides us with grunt and athleticism although Ayce is probably a few years away before he becomes a regular.

Which could be the ace up his sleeve.

Scraggers
31-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Updated

PP

2nd Round
34 - Hawthorn - Jayden Post - Scorlibo - (2nd effort)

Good job guys ... one question though; Has Michael Still nominated for the draft? I can't find his names in any of the lists that I have seen.

Scorlibo
31-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Wouldn't you say though that this is more of a problem? The instinctive decision to kick rather than handball is just that instinct.....he doesn't make a conscious decision, he just does what his body is trained to do in a situation.....it is almost mechanical

He could be taught to handball and it could become instinctive but as shown, you can't teach a Farren Ray how to kick:o

GVGjr
31-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Johnston slippign to about #20 was a big shock. I wasn't expecting him to be available at #10, but have Schoenmakers slightly ahead of him anyway. No doubt he'll be gone well before #20 in the real thing.

I thought that Hurley might have been selected at number 5 so I actually had Johnston at pick 6 for the Blues so yes, I'm more than surprised that he dropped to 20.
I considered him again at number 13 for the Saints but I believe they need pace more than size so I went for Blease.

Sockeye Salmon
31-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Good job guys ... one question though; Has Michael Still nominated for the draft? I can't find his names in any of the lists that I have seen.

He's very bottom age, I'm assuming he's even eligible

LostDoggy
31-10-2008, 09:11 PM
I thought that Hurley might have been selected at number 5 so I actually had Johnston at pick 6 for the Blues so yes, I'm more than surprised that he dropped to 20.
I considered him again at number 13 for the Saints but I believe they need pace more than size so I went for Blease.

Did anyone see it coming that the Dogs would go for Andrej? NO! Frank lin:rolleyes: always some suprises in every draft that often turn out wise pickings in hindsight GVGjr!

Scraggers
31-10-2008, 11:15 PM
He's very bottom age, I'm assuming he's even eligible

Cheers SS ... from what I have been able to decipher from this side of the country he did not attend draft camp because of his school work / exams ... and according to an article in the Bendigo local rag, 'he will more than likely wait for 2010' ...

How true this is though, I've got no idea !! :o

Desipura
01-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Can someone forward me the link to highlights of Michael Still as I cannot find it.

Sockeye Salmon
01-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Can someone forward me the link to highlights of Michael Still as I cannot find it.

I don't think there is one

Bulldog Revolution
01-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Is it true that this guys waited until after the mock draft to make up his mind on joining the cats as a rookie??

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=69493

GVGjr
01-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Is it true that this guys waited until after the mock draft to make up his mind on joining the cats as a rookie??

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=69493

:)

He's a terrific talent and would have been drafted but in the end it would appear that he just wanted to play for Geelong more even if it meant being a rookie. He will get his opportunity

Bulldog4life
02-11-2008, 01:46 AM

According to the Bulldog's website Shaw is 198cm. The same as Hudson & 1cm shorter than Minson.
I haven't seen him play but reports were that he played very well in this season's early practice matches before he was injured and then unluckingly missed most of the season.
Time will tell talent wise, but height I would think shouldn't be an issue.

GVGjr
04-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Pick#10 - Adelaide Crows

I select Ryan Schoenmakers - Could be anything from 189 to 195cm tall depending on who you ask (damn draft camp not releasing results other than top 10!). Lead up CHF type, with great speed highlighted by his 2.9s 20m sprint, and winning the repeat 6 x 30m sprint at draft camp. He also recorded a vertical leap of 69cm putting him 7th. Not the most talked of key forward in the draft, but one whose stocks have been consistently rising over the last month or so.

I actually saw some draft notes that had him listed at 193.4 cm. I wonder if that changes peoples mind about him. Tall enough for a KP but skill and pace wise he can also be handy on a flank. The only question mark I have of him is his ability to play 4 quarters of footy. I'm probably being too tough on him but it's a weakness that will need to addressed.

He has grown about 4cm through the season.

Sockeye Salmon
05-11-2008, 09:24 AM
I actually saw some draft notes that had him listed at 193.4 cm. I wonder if that changes peoples mind about him. Tall enough for a KP but skill and pace wise he can also be handy on a flank. The only question mark I have of him is his ability to play 4 quarters of footy. I'm probably being too tough on him but it's a weakness that will need to addressed.

Is he the next Scott Lucas or the next Mark Bolton?

Go_Dogs
05-11-2008, 02:22 PM

For a young kid who is still growing into his body, not bad if that is the only concern, especially as he was playing the hardest position on the field and spent quite a lot of time at SANFL reserves level.