PDA

View Full Version : Claytons parting gifts?

GVGjr
13-11-2008, 10:29 PM
We have done our WOOF combined Mock Draft but now it's time to nominate a few players each that you think might be a Clayton type pick if they are still available at picks 31 and 32.

Some of the players I think might be in the mix include:

Jamie Sheehan - 179cm ball magnet midfielder
Adam Varcoe - 184cm clever forward (Brother of Travis)
Jarrad Blight - 192cm defender (might not still be available)
Tyson Slattery - 189cm defender (SA boy so he must be in the mix)

Any others that you think fit the 'Clayton type'?

Go_Dogs
14-11-2008, 03:15 PM
I just picked up my copy of Inside Football: Draft Edition, I'm sure I'll be procrastinating again later and will have a go at putting a few names forward.

Scraggers
14-11-2008, 10:35 PM
I would be happy with any of these :-

Matthew Broadbent SA
Zach Sengstock Vic (We've got the golfers son, why not the basketballers)
Tom Lynch Vic (may not be available)
Jordan Roughead Vic
Steven Motlop NT (bit of a smokey)
Jordan Lisle Vic
Tom Swift (might go early ... might not)

Stevo
15-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Mine are -

Mitch Brown -- 192cm forward from the Sandringham Dragons.
Clancee Pearce -- 183cm defender from Swan Districts. He might not slip down that far.
Rhys Stanley -- 200cm ruckman from West Adelaide.
Will Young -- 191cm forward from North Ballarat.
Alistair Smith -- 183cm midfielder from Perth.

Desipura
15-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Having looked at a fair bit of video highlights over the last few weeks, (not all the players are on youtube) I have come up with the following players I believe Clayton may be considering. I have included the write ups from Inside Footy about each player:

Mitch Brown Sandringham Dragons 191cm/82kg
"Mitchell went to state screening and grew 7cm from 17 to 18 years of age. Come on in leaps and bounds this year and had a really good attitude to his football.
Can play a variety of positions and has real upside. I think he might get drafted." Sandy Dragons region Mgr Wayne Oswald

Mitch Robinson - midfielder, Tassie Mariners 188cm/ 77kg (youtube highlights)
"Mitch is a terrific midfielder with a great footy brain and is a great ball carrier. He won the medal for Tassie's best player at the national carnival, the coach's award and the best and fairest in division 2.
Played most of the season in the VFL for the Devils and finished high up in their best and fairest count.
Very hard at it, a very penetrating kick, got good pace, can play tall - the complete package really." Mariners coach Andrew Mellor

Ashley Smith - medium defender Dandenong Stingrays 185cm/84kg (on youtube)
"Ash is a half back/midfielder who is quick and rebounds very well. I was talking to the roos recruiting mgr recently and I described him as a David King type of player with the way he runs and creates from defence.
He's just a good sized frame, he's got alot of power and he's a real straight ahead sort of player. Kicks the ball well and boasts a penetrating burst of speed. Had a reasonable year for us and played state footy but was slightly hampered by a groin problem.
When he was fit in the opening three games of the year he was our best player twice. Stingrays coach Graeme Yeats.

Nathan O'Keefe Eastern Ranges 192cm/80kg
"Nathan has gleaned a bit of interest from clubs after joining us mid-season. He was with us last year and did not make it but after playing a great interleague game for the Yarra Valley Mountain District League we invited him down and he starred.
Plays full fwd/centre half fwd and kicked alot of goals for us late in the season.
A late developer physically who had a magnificent end to the year." Eastern Ranged regional manager Ian Flack.

Casey Sibosado - Tall Defender, Oakleigh Chargers/NT Thunder 191cm/85kg (on youtube)
"Casey's a tall boy who originally hails from Broome but was boarding at Xavier College the past couple of years. He played national championships footy for NT this year and did well.
Played predominantly as a tall marking forward but could also play back.
Kicked 5 goals against Murray Bushrangers in round 19, which was easily his best game for the season. Very quick and a beautiful kick of the footy." Oakleigh Chargers region manager Stephen Conole.
This is guy looks very exciting, would love to have him, hit or miss though - Desipura

Lance Daly -tall fwd 191cm/78kg (Youtube highlights)
"Lance is just a freak up forward. He catches the ball really well, he's got a great ability at ground level for a player his size and kicked alot of goals for us this year.
Played well for WA and we expect he'd feature somewhere in the draft given his size and ability to hold down a key position." Swan Districts football Manager Matt Peach

Others in the mix are Roughead and Sam Wright......
Anyone seen Jayden Post of the Western Jets play? There may have been a previous post on him.

lemmon
15-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Do any of the guys in the know think Rhys O'Keefe will still be around? Ive seen highlights and he looks great from the footage.

GVGjr
15-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Do any of the guys in the know think Rhys O'Keefe will still be around? Ive seen highlights and he looks great from the footage.

I know the Bulldogs recruiting guys were very keen on him earlier in the season but were resigned to the fact that he would be gone before their 2nd pick

GVGjr
15-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Ashley Smith - medium defender Dandenong Stingrays 185cm/84kg (on youtube)
"Ash is a half back/midfielder who is quick and rebounds very well. I was talking to the roos recruiting mgr recently and I described him as a David King type of player with the way he runs and creates from defence.
He's just a good sized frame, he's got alot of power and he's a real straight ahead sort of player. Kicks the ball well and boasts a penetrating burst of speed. Had a reasonable year for us and played state footy but was slightly hampered by a groin problem.
When he was fit in the opening three games of the year he was our best player twice. Stingrays coach Graeme Yeats.

He is a genuine footballer and certainly there would have to be some good footballers still around at picks 31 and 32 for me to simply overlook him. Not sure if he is a Clayton type though.

lemmon
15-11-2008, 04:09 PM
I know the Bulldogs recruiting guys were very keen on him earlier in the season but were resigned to the fact that he would be gone before their 2nd pick
From what i saw he was very impressive. Great user of the pill and can find his own ball moving into the midfield, absolutely oozes class.

Desipura
15-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Not overly quick which may see him go a little later.

Desipura
15-11-2008, 08:27 PM
He is a genuine footballer and certainly there would have to be some good footballers still around at picks 31 and 32 for me to simply overlook him. Not sure if he is a Clayton type though.
Tough onballer with a burst of speed, sounds like Ward doesn't it?

LostDoggy
15-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Ill be glad when Clayton and his 'Clayton type picks' head north.

I want a FORWARD who is a FOOTBALLER FIRST. None of these athletes turned footballs trying to play the hardest position on the ground.

comrade
15-11-2008, 09:21 PM

I want a FORWARD who is a FOOTBALLER FIRST. None of these athletes turned footballs trying to play the hardest position on the ground.

To be fair, Grant is a footballer. He just hasn't had an opportunity to show it, yet.

Desipura
16-11-2008, 10:15 AM
I would be rapt if we could get Mitch Robinson and Sibosado with our 2 picks! Though not too sure Robinson will last to our pick.

lemmon
16-11-2008, 03:05 PM
IMO people put to much emphasis on speed, he's such a good reader of the ball its not as relevent and he isnt overly slow or overly quick.

Go_Dogs
16-11-2008, 03:14 PM

He is from Dandenong though, which has been a club we've recruited pretty heavily from in recent history.

GVGjr
16-11-2008, 03:32 PM
He is from Dandenong though, which has been a club we've recruited pretty heavily from in recent history.

Good point but the other 3 were at least 192cm tall and very athletic.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-11-2008, 08:12 PM
IMO people put to much emphasis on speed, he's such a good reader of the ball its not as relevent and he isnt overly slow or overly quick.

I disagree. Speed is pivotal, and if you've got the skills to match, then you can be a really damaging player. Speed can make a world of difference. Higgins is/will be a good player, but if he had the speed of a Cooney/Griffen, he'd be right up there. Not to say he can't be a very good footballer, but pace isn't and shouldn't be 'overrated'. Especially now in todays game, probably not so much 3+ years ago.

lemmon
16-11-2008, 10:29 PM
I disagree. Speed is pivotal, and if you've got the skills to match, then you can be a really damaging player. Speed can make a world of difference. Higgins is/will be a good player, but if he had the speed of a Cooney/Griffen, he'd be right up there. Not to say he can't be a very good footballer, but pace isn't and shouldn't be 'overrated'. Especially now in todays game, probably not so much 3+ years ago.

Looking at todays game the reinging Norm Smith medalist Luke Hodge isnt quick, Simon Black isnt quick neither are Jimmy Bartel, Joel Selwood, Brad Sewell or Sam Mitchell just to mention a few. They are such good readers of the ball both in close and in open play combined with elite fitness means they dont need genuine pace.

GVGjr
16-11-2008, 10:53 PM
I think the real thing is that you cannot be drafting slow players. I don't necessarily prescribe to the theory that every player needs to be quick but the game now revolves around the ability to run and carry the ball. A draftee is also more likely to slide down the pecking order because he isn't highly regarded in the pace department.
It will be interesting to see if Rich slides down the order because he should be taken in the top 3 but Freo apparently think having him and Palmer wouldn't be good for them and are now looking more closely at the fleet of foot Hill.
If it was my selection I wouldn't hesitate in taking Rich but clubs regard the pace attribute that highly.

lemmon
16-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I think the real thing is that you cannot be drafting slow players. I don't necessarily prescribe to the theory that every player needs to be quick but the game now revolves around the ability to run and carry the ball. A draftee is also more likely to slide down the pecking order because he isn't highly regarded in the pace department.
It will be interesting to see if Rich slides down the order because he should be taken in the top 3 but Freo apparently think having him and Palmer wouldn't be good for them and are now looking more closely at the fleet of foot Hill.
If it was my selection I wouldn't hesitate in taking Rich but clubs regard the pace attribute that highly.

It really comes back to the footballer v athlete argument. Id rather the natural footballer any day of the week over an elite athlete

The Bulldogs Bite
16-11-2008, 11:49 PM
It really comes back to the footballer v athlete argument. Id rather the natural footballer any day of the week over an elite athlete

I agree in theory, but you can't have a team of natural footballers who are basically all one paced - IE. St. Kilda.

As is the case with everything, you need balance. Clubs will always lean to players who can run & dispose of the ball well, though.

lemmon
16-11-2008, 11:55 PM
I agree in theory, but you can't have a team of natural footballers who are basically all one paced - IE. St. Kilda.

As is the case with everything, you need balance. Clubs will always lean to players who can run & dispose of the ball well, though.

So then back to the original point I think we have enough quick, running players to be able to draft Rhys (if available) without falling into the trap St Kilda have.

Scorlibo
17-11-2008, 12:18 PM

Does every draftee have to be "overly quick" these days? I know our game has developed into a very hard running and ball carrying game but recruiters will not be deterred by someone like Rhys O'Keefe who still has above average pace imo and more importantly runs and carries effectively because he runs to the right spaces. He would be the perfect fit for us imo - wonderful body size, can play back, in the middle and forward, elite kicking skills, football nous - but there would be very little chance of him lasting to our picks.

Imagine the combo he could form with Ward well into the future! The two most dominant midsized utilities in the league playing for us :eek::)

soupman
17-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Does every draftee have to be "overly quick" these days?

Not really, however players like Rhys O'Keefe who aren't "overly quick" will slide not because they are bad prospects, but given the choice between an average paced footballer and a faster paced footballer with similiar ability, recruiters are going to go for the speed because it is a handy asset to have, and thus players like O'Keefe may slide.

I'm essentially trying to say that players like O'Keefe won't slide because they aren't that quick, but rather because other players are quick. Hopefully on this basis O'Keefe somehow makes it to our pick (and I'm not quite sure this post achieved anything or even made sense).

Twodogs
17-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Not really, however players like Rhys O'Keefe who aren't "overly quick" will slide not because they are bad prospects, but given the choice between an average paced footballer and a faster paced footballer with similiar ability, recruiters are going to go for the speed because it is a handy asset to have, and thus players like O'Keefe may slide.

I'm essentially trying to say that players like O'Keefe won't slide because they aren't that quick, but rather because other players are quick. Hopefully on this basis O'Keefe somehow makes it to our pick (and I'm not quite sure this post achieved anything or even made sense).

I'm confused but hell yeah!

Why not...

Scorlibo
17-11-2008, 01:09 PM

I know what you're saying - O'Keefe will be passed up not because he's slow but because others of similar ability are quicker. But then isn't that the same for all basic skills? Luke Shuey will be passed up not because he has bad foot skills but because others have better. Sam Blease will be passed up not because he finds small amounts of the ball but because others find more. etc. The point is, there are a number of different footballing factors and I don't think that speed is necessariliy the most important or overriding factor.

If I were a recruiter I would look at all of the players' assets; their weapons. I would judge how good these weapons are and then I would looks at the other AFL necesseties and see whether they were good enough to enable the player to use their weapons. In Rhys O'Keefe's case, he is an elite kick, has very good football nous and is versatile, and his pace is good enough to allow him to use these weapons - and that is therefore all the pace he needs.

BulldogBelle
18-11-2008, 12:26 AM

If your midfielders and half backs are placing the ball laces out onto our forwards chest then it wont make too much difference if our draftee isnt the quickest player on the field.

If he has football smarts, knows where to lead, has a safe pair of hands, and can take strong marks by chest/overhead then he should be considered.

Someone like Tommy Williams has all of the athletic powers in the world, but I dont think he will ever play forward just because he doesnt have the 'smarts' or footy brain, and is better suited to playing back...

Desipura
18-11-2008, 10:00 AM
If your midfielders and half backs are placing the ball laces out onto our forwards chest then it wont make too much difference if our draftee isnt the quickest player on the field.

If he has football smarts, knows where to lead, has a safe pair of hands, and can take strong marks by chest/overhead then he should be considered.

Someone like Tommy Williams has all of the athletic powers in the world, but I dont think he will ever play forward just because he doesnt have the 'smarts' or footy brain, and is better suited to playing back...
I disagree about Williams not being able to play forward. The way I see it, he has alot of attibrutes that Richo has, explosive speed off the mark and very good below his knees. Can take a grab.
They are almost the identical height as well. Would you say Richo has not got the smarts? He makes some silly decisions on the ground and he had a footy background growing up.
Once he gets to the 75 - 100 game mark thats when Williams will have gained enough experience to play in other positions.

Mofra
18-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I disagree about Williams not being able to play forward. The way I see it, he has alot of attibrutes that Richo has, explosive speed off the mark and very good below his knees. Can take a grab.
They are almost the identical height as well. Would you say Richo has not got the smarts? He makes some silly decisions on the ground and he had a footy background growing up.
Once he gets to the 75 - 100 game mark thats when Williams will have gained enough experience to play in other positions.
Chalk and cheese - Richo has a good footy brain and knows how to time his leads, which is the hardest part for a non-AFL background player to learn.
A player with no background would struggle with this. Hell, even career backmen look awkwards when they are moved forward.

GVGjr
22-11-2008, 08:03 AM
The Hun has done a phantom draft today and have Ryan Schoenmakers and Liam Jones heading to us.

LostDoggy
22-11-2008, 12:32 PM
The Hun has done a phantom draft today and have Ryan Schoenmakers and Liam Jones heading to us.

...and Post going to Richmond.....

Desipura
22-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Another undersized kpp at 189cm (Shoenmakers) as talented as he appears, surely not.

Mantis
22-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Another undersized kpp at 189cm (Shoenmakers) as talented as he appears, surely not.

Another mid-sized utility wouldn't go astray.

Surely we wouldn't be silly enough to only pick up KPP's with our 3 picks?

Go_Dogs
22-11-2008, 12:58 PM

Closer to 194cm. Lead up CHF like Bob Murphy. If we manage to land Schoenmakers, I'll be super happy.

Sockeye Salmon
22-11-2008, 02:17 PM

He came in at 193.7 at draft camp.

The question is, is he the next Scott Lucas or the next Mark Bolton?

Desipura
22-11-2008, 06:53 PM

The Herald sun has him listed as 189cm

Sockeye Salmon
22-11-2008, 06:57 PM
The Herald sun has him listed as 189cm

That was at the start of the year.

The Gerald Sun also listed Naitanui as 197 but he measured 200.9 at draft camp.

Desipura
22-11-2008, 07:07 PM
That was at the start of the year.

The Gerald Sun also listed Naitanui as 197 but he measured 200.9 at draft camp.
Well he moves very well at 193cm and is good in a contested situation as well as on the lead. Has a nice kick for goal as well for a left footer

Desipura
22-11-2008, 07:09 PM

Appears a little smarter than Bolton

Sockeye Salmon
22-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Well he moves very well at 193cm and is good in a contested situation as well as on the lead. Has a nice kick for goal as well for a left footer

He's a left footer like Chris Grant was a right footer. It doesn't really matter to him.

The Doctor
23-11-2008, 09:11 AM
In various public despatches from the club I've heard that they rate the calibre of ruckmen in this draft. So it wouldn't surprise if we picked one up.

Mantis
23-11-2008, 11:04 AM
In various public despatches from the club I've heard that they rate the calibre of ruckmen in this draft. So it wouldn't surprise if we picked one up.

Haven't we already or is Cordy rated more as a tall forward? At 202cm you would hope he can play in the ruck as well.

Topdog
23-11-2008, 11:22 AM

So like Walsh, West and Boumann?

hujsh
23-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Haven't we already or is Cordy rated more as a tall forward? At 202cm you would hope he can play in the ruck as well.

Sounds more at home forward but the club may have other plans for all we know