PDA

View Full Version : Scott West joins Dees

aker39
21-11-2008, 09:28 AM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24683229-19742,00.html

FORMER Western Bulldogs champion Scott West is poised to start his AFL coaching career at Melbourne. It is understood the Demons have signed West for a part-time role.

West has been keen to dip his toes into the coaching arena, while maintaining a key role in his transport business.

The role, believed to be working with the Demons midfield, is the ideal stepping stone for West as he weighs up if he wants to pursue a long-term goal to be a senior coach.

It is understood St Kilda also showed an interest in him.

West is highly rated for his football brain.

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade has for some time seen him as a teaching talent.

West, a seven-time best-and-fairest winner at the Dogs, has not known life at another club since walking into Whitten Oval to join the club's under-19s as a 15-year-old.

Now 34, he made an emotional exit from the Dogs in September after 324 games.

West is expected to face the media for the first time as a Melbourne staff member this morning

hujsh
21-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Awww. Wierd.

Scorlibo
21-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Good on him! As many have said, it is a good thing for new coaches to get around to some other clubs to learn a few new tricks of the trade. Even if it is the Dees, he will learn from being in a new envionment. I think he will still wind up back at Whitten Oval in the end anyway.

westdog54
21-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Awww. Wierd.

How so. Its hardly a surprsie he's moving into coaching, and we can't even put two more rookies on our list, let alone another assistant coach.

hujsh
21-11-2008, 06:04 PM
How so. Its hardly a surprsie he's moving into coaching, and we can't even put two more rookies on our list, let alone another assistant coach.

It just feels weird for me. First real champ I've seen join another club since Libba who I can't really remember.

Scraggers
21-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Good on him! As many have said, it is a good thing for new coaches to get around to some other clubs to learn a few new tricks of the trade. Even if it is the Dees, he will learn from being in a new envionment. I think he will still wind up back at Whitten Oval in the end anyway.

I hope so

LostDoggy
21-11-2008, 10:04 PM
We only want him back if he is a good coach. He isnt a great speaker, i have my doubts. Time will tell.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Good Luck to Westy, champion player on the field and I hope it all works out for him off the field too. I'm sure his football knowledge will be passed down wisely to the likes of Jones & Morton.

Scorlibo
21-11-2008, 11:48 PM
We only want him back if he is a good coach. He isnt a great speaker, i have my doubts. Time will tell.

He connects with players and that's all that matters.

LostDoggy
22-11-2008, 12:21 AM
It's a good thing..

Get him that coaching experience before we take him back and give him a senior position

LostDoggy
22-11-2008, 09:11 AM
It's a good thing..

Get him that coaching experience before we take him back and give him a senior position

I agree. Good luck Westy. :)

LostDoggy
22-11-2008, 10:16 AM
It feels strange knowing that Westy will be working with the Dees next year, but good luck to him. I hope to see him back at the Whitten Oval very soon.

LostDoggy
22-11-2008, 12:25 PM
It feels strange knowing that Westy will be working with the Dees next year, but good luck to him. I hope to see him back at the Whitten Oval very soon.

yes, it was strange looking at him in blue and red. Hopefully he will always be a bulldog at heart. I am glad that he is still staying in football.

Mantis
22-11-2008, 01:08 PM

Same as Robert Harvey's move to Carlton.

It's the way of modern footy as coaches are almost required to gain experience under different programs now in order to develop there skills and to be looked upon more favourably in order to gain more important coaching roles.

westdog54
23-11-2008, 01:55 AM
Same as Robert Harvey's move to Carlton.

It was probably the same when Kevin Sheedy took the reins at Essendon all those years ago.

Born & Bred
23-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Scott West's number 7 will be worn by Shaun Higgins in 2009.

GVGjr
23-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Scott West's number 7 will be worn by Shaun Higgins in 2009.

Thanks for the heads up. Good source?

BulldogBelle
23-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Good luck to Westy with his part time role at Melbourne. I wish him the best and hopefully he will return to the Bulldogs in some capacity in the future.