PDA

View Full Version : No rush for Dogs' Ayce

comrade
27-11-2008, 08:52 PM
THE WESTERN Bulldogs won’t fast-track young beanpole Ayce Cordy into the senior side next year, despite desperately needing a key position player.

The 18-year-old will officially become a Bulldog at pick 14 via the father-son rule during Saturday's NAB AFL Draft. He is described by AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan as “a mobile ruckman who provides a dangerous target up forward".

But the Dogs will take their time with their giant young gun – who is already 202cm – and will not push him into the big time until he's bulked up his 78kg frame.

"Like every young kid, you've got to see where they're at," assistant coach Leon Cameron said on Thursday.

"Some are more advanced that others and he's got a long way to go. He's coming off a shoulder operation and he's got to put on a bit of weight,"

"But we'll have him playing down at Williamstown and then we'll see what happens during the year.

"There's no pressure on him from our point for him to play senior footy.

"He's a big boy and he's obviously got to put on some weight, but we're really looking forward to him having a long career at our footy club."

Cameron said Cordy had presented at Whitten Oval this week as a determined unit ready to tackle all aspects of pre-season training and, therefore, he wouldn't put it past the former Geelong Falcon to put his hand up for senior selection in 2009.

"He's a great father-son pick up for us, and he's a great kid and determined so who knows what's going to happen next year," he said.

"Even though he's probably under-developed to play senior footy next year, he's a determined kid and he could play, so we're looking forward to it."

Cameron also said it was beneficial to secure Cordy under the father-son ruling and get him amongst the group earlier than the other draftees.

"It's good [getting him early]. It's good for him and he doesn't have to go throughout the pressure of the draft," Cameron said.

"We've known for a long time [that he was coming], so he's started a week earlier in our rehab group and it's been great."

Cordy will also travel to the US on Friday as part of the Bulldogs' Arizona pre-season training camp.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=70297

GVGjr
27-11-2008, 09:00 PM
I have seen a lot of people expecting Cordy to play senior football next season mainly based on the fact that Chris Grant did it. As far as I am concerned Cordy will be lucky to play 12 senior games for the Williamstown seniors and there is no reason to rush him. He will take time and it's as simple as that.

ledge
28-11-2008, 04:57 PM
I tend to agree GVGjr, Grant should probably be getting games ahead of Ayce, he has a year ahead of him build wise.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-11-2008, 06:39 PM
I have seen a lot of people expecting Cordy to play senior football next season mainly based on the fact that Chris Grant did it. As far as I am concerned Cordy will be lucky to play 12 senior games for the Williamstown seniors and there is no reason to rush him. He will take time and it's as simple as that.

I've found that pretty strange, I would've thought it would be obvious to most that at 78kgs he's not anywhere near capable of playing senior AFL football in 2009 - regardless of what Chris Grant did.

As you said Gary, if Cordy plays 12 games for the Williamstown seniors side then that's a good achievement in year one.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-11-2008, 07:21 PM

Agree wholeheartedly. I think also the era in which Grant made his debut was different too. Ithink the game, in 1990, was a little easier for a skinny kid to play in. As the years have rolled by since 1990, clubs adoption of better weights and conditioning training has seen player core strength increase, making physically undeveloped players more likely to be exposed as a weakness and a tactical liability, especially in the key positions.

Yes there will always be exceptions to the rule, but that's exactly what they are, exceptions.

Ayce may prove to be one, but the odds are he will need a considerable amount of time until he is physically ready to make a valuable contribution.