PDA

View Full Version : Welcome - Roughead and Jones - Our newest Pups

GVGjr
29-11-2008, 11:16 AM
If anyone can post some profiles or youtube links etc it would be much appreciated.

Two big boys are a nice get for us.

LostDoggy
29-11-2008, 11:16 AM
you're quick

LostDoggy
29-11-2008, 11:17 AM
what is jones like?
don't no much about him

ledge
29-11-2008, 11:17 AM
very

Go_Dogs
29-11-2008, 11:18 AM
NAME JORDAN ROUGHEAD
CLUB WESTERN BULLDOGS
ORIGINAL CLUB NORTH BALLARAT REBELS
DOB 03/11/1990
HEIGHT 199.7
WEIGHT 91.8

Jordan is a developing ruckman with excellent endurance and good ability at ground level. He played 15 matches and was vice captain of the North Ballarat Rebels in 2008 where he averaged 14 possessions, 18 hit-outs and five marks per match. He led the club for hit-outs and ranked fourth overall for marks. In a best-on-ground performance in round 14 against the Eastern Ranges he gathered 17 possessions, six marks, 23 hit-outs and kicked three goals. He represented Vic Country at the 2008 NAB AFL U18 Championships, ranking second overall for both hit-outs - averaging 14 per game – and hit-outs to advantage. He was one of the catalysts for Vic Country’s upset win over Western Australia at Subiaco where he battled tirelessly and took the honours against the highly-rated Nicholas Naitanui in the ruck, claiming 14 hit-outs, five marks and booting a goal. Jordan attended the 2008 NAB AFL Draft Camp at the AIS, posting a solid 12.9 in the beep test and ranking highly in the running vertical leap tests. From Lake Wendouree FC.

STATS
Kicks: 2, Handballs: 4, Disposals: 7, Marks: 3, Goals: 0 (Averages from U18 Championships)

Go_Dogs
29-11-2008, 11:19 AM
NAME LIAM JONES
CLUB WESTERN BULLDOGS
ORIGINAL CLUB SCOTCH COLLEGE
DOB 24/02/1991
HEIGHT 195.2
WEIGHT 85.6

BIO
Tall forward or defender who reads the game well and attacks the ball with purpose. Good decision-maker and strong overhead. Missed most of the season due to injury but was a very impressive member of the AIS/AFL Academy squad in its tour of WA and Sth Africa earlier in the year. Attends Scotch College in Melbourne but originally played with North Hobart FC.

GVGjr
As a lot of you would know, I had a good conversation with Chris Grant during the finals series and we talked a bit about Jordon Roughead because Grant had done a bit of work with the Vic Country side. Chris Grant thought he was a good prospect for us.

Great to get a kid that followed the Dogs all his life.

LostDoggy
Really happy with getting Roughead, not sure about JOnes, because I don't know much about him.

ledge
29-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Liam Jones
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=70051

Go_Dogs
29-11-2008, 11:21 AM
As a lot of you would know, I had a good conversation with Chris Grant during the finals series and we talked a bit about Jordon Roughead because Grant had done a bit of work with the Vic Country side. Chris Grant thought he was a good prospect for us.

Dogs supporter as well? Awesome.

Can he play forward too GVGjr?

ledge
29-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Jordan Roughead
http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=69464

bulldogtragic
29-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Three tall draft selections.

Who would have thought Clayton had it in him.

This to me also says Ogle, Jones, Wallis and Liberatore may be good value going ahead as we lost smalls this years and have not replaced them.

GVGjr
29-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Dogs supporter as well? Awesome.

Can he play forward too GVGjr?

Yes he can but he needs some refining.
His father played some reserves games for the Dogs a few years back.

LostDoggy
29-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Is he Jarryd's brother?

bulldogtragic
29-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Is he Jarryd's brother?
Cousin.

LostDoggy
He is his cousin by memory

LostDoggy
cousin

Bulldog Revolution
29-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Roughead looks a great selection on paper given his high beep test for a big 12.9, ability to do a bit around the ground and leap

BulldogBelle
29-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Congrats and the best of luck to our new pups Jordan and Liam - they must be on cloud nine at the moment, on their way to the Bulldogs to being their AFL football careers. :)

ledge
29-11-2008, 11:34 AM
He looks like a baby, still a bit of puppy fat there.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Bulldogs draftees average height:

199cm

LostDoggy
29-11-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm liking that. As long as they can develop further than Cam Wight (no offense to him)

mighty_west
29-11-2008, 12:00 PM
With this being Clayton's last draft for the Dogs, and his reputation with not perhaps being great at picking talls, wouldn't it be good if the 3 talls he picked all became great players!

We can only hope.

GVGjr
29-11-2008, 12:04 PM
With this being Clayton's last draft for the Dogs, and his reputation with not perhaps being great at picking talls, wouldn't it be good if the 3 talls he picked all became great players!

We can only hope.

Three regular senior players with a bit of star quality would suit me fine.

mighty_west
29-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Three regular senior players with a bit of star quality would suit me fine.

We certaintly have enough developing rucks in the cupboard, with Roughead & Cordy joining Shaw & Mulligan in the weights room.

Would Cordy & Roughead be seen as more a ruckman who can play forward [ala Luke Darcy], or a forward who can play play some time in the ruck?

By the looks of it, Jones seems more a natural CHF type.

GVGjr
29-11-2008, 12:14 PM
We certaintly have enough developing rucks in the cupboard, with Roughead & Cordy joining Shaw & Mulligan in the weights room.

Would Cordy & Roughead be seen as more a ruckman who can play forward [ala Luke Darcy], or a forward who can play play some time in the ruck?

By the looks of it, Jones seems more a natural CHF type.
It's a huge turn-a-round for the club because for years we have been very light on for ruckman.

Cordy and Roughead should be able to switch between both forward and ruck duties and then we have Mulligan developing and learning his craft on the rookie list.
This is particularly pleasing because we will have Minson for a number of years and Hudson for probably another two years.

I agree that Jones appears to be a natural CHF.

Sockeye Salmon
29-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Mulligan hates rucking and is being looked at as a CHB.

Cordy stated last week that he sees himself as a ruckman first and a part-time forward

LostDoggy
29-11-2008, 12:20 PM
I like what i see in Jones (apart from the fact that he is a Saints fan). Looks to be a very good mark and quite mobile for his age. A CHF or CHB in the making - just what we need.

Roughead will be a premier ruckman in the league - he has the endurance / the tap work / the ground skills to suit.

Ayce - 201cm
Roughie - 199cm
Jonies - 195cm

Any rookies drafted will be midfielders surely.....

The Doctor
29-11-2008, 12:42 PM
On paper it's a great result for us. Our biggest list needs have finally been attended to and at last we have some depth in the ruck and key forward areas even if we are light on for experience.

GVGjr
29-11-2008, 12:43 PM
On paper it's a great result for us. Our biggest list needs have finally been attended to and at last we have some depth in the ruck and key forward areas even if we are light on for experience.

It would have been nice to have one more pick but at least we have used the draft to address our needs.

The Doctor
29-11-2008, 12:54 PM
It would have been nice to have one more pick but at least we have used the draft to address our needs.

We had a thread on this topic a few weeks back. I would have liked at least one more pick if not 2. I suppose the contractual situation of a couple of players who might have been in the gun prevented this.

Just looking through the list of players not selected today there still appears to be a bit of talent available at the rookie draft.

GVGjr
29-11-2008, 12:56 PM
We had a thread on this topic a few weeks back. I would have liked at least one more pick if not 2. I suppose the contractual situation of a couple of players who might have been in the gun prevented this.

Just looking through the list of players not selected today there still appears to be a bit of talent available at the rookie draft.

Yes, as the draft unfolded I was amazed at the quality of players selected with late picks or even missed all together.

Scorlibo
29-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Tall options in the future:

Key Forwards - Grant, Boumann, Cordy, Jones, Roughead, Mulligan
Ruckmen - Minson, Cordy, Roughead, Shaw, Mulligan
Key Defenders - Lake, Williams, Everitt, Jones, Mulligan

bulldogsman
29-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Yes, as the draft unfolded I was amazed at the quality of players selected with late picks or even missed all together.

Can't believe Lisle picked up at 50 Wow

bulldogsman
29-11-2008, 01:05 PM

Add Shaw as ruckman and would morris be considered as a key back too?

GVGjr
29-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Can't believe Lisle picked up at 50 Wow

There are a heap of others as well but I would have been more than happy to get Lisle with one of our picks.

Dry Rot
29-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Do we have a live rookie pick? Isn't there some problem over funding?

LostDoggy
29-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Throw in our midfielders ward,okeefe & reid from last year to our already gun midfield
& we can seriuosly start to dream!

Clayton hopefully has left us a premiership team.
A great parting Gift!

GVGjr
29-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Do we have a live rookie pick? Isn't there some problem over funding?

We will select one rookie however we might end up selecting more if the funds become available.

bornadog
29-11-2008, 01:15 PM

Love this:

Which AFL club do you support?

I barrack for the Western Bulldogs. My old man played ressies (reserves) for the Bulldogs in the late '70s I think, so I just caught on there. He gives me a bit of advice and helps out a bit.

bornadog
29-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Throw in our midfielders ward,okeefe & reid from last year to our already gun midfield
& we can seriuosly start to dream!

Clayton hopefully has left us a premiership team.
A great parting Gift!

Also add to the midfield, maybe a Lynch, Addison and Higgins and don't forget Stack hasn't played a senior game yet either.

KT31
29-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Yes he can but he needs some refining.
His father played some reserves games for the Dogs a few years back.

With Jones father playing a couple of games with the Saint's, all three picks are second generation footballers.
I really think this will benefit us, with them already knowing that it is a hard slog and that they if they put in the hard yards they will be rewarded.

Welcome to the Doggies, kids !!!!

LostDoggy
29-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Thought id share this ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc45F8SYSkI&feature=related

Roughead in action U/18 Championships, wins a nice ruck contest against Nicholas Naitanui(sp?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d2Qx8PEU6chttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d2Qx8PEU6c

And some footage of Liam Jones..has a nice mark on him, especially in a 1 on 1 contest

bulldogsman
29-11-2008, 03:09 PM
The Words of Scott Clayton

Scott Clayton, Western Bulldogs
"Officially Ayce Cordy (father-son) came onto our list and we’ve had a lot to do with him and his family over the last year, so we’re pleased to finally deliver that. He’s a very exciting prospect. We went tall today, not for the sake of it but for the sake their names were right – they’ve got to have the right names and we think Jordan Roughead and Liam Jones have got long careers ahead of them. Roughead is a ruckman and Jones is a central key position player and we’ll give them every chance by developing them for long careers.

"All three boys need conditioning with a long-term future in mind, not short-term. We rated those three boys and we called them out accordingly. I don’t think we stand here today saying they’ll play round one because we’d be conditioning them for the short-term and I made the point we can’t do that – they need some work."

LostDoggy
29-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Welcome aboard pups, best of luck. :)

ledge
29-11-2008, 04:00 PM
The Words of Scott Clayton

Scott Clayton, Western Bulldogs
"Officially Ayce Cordy (father-son) came onto our list and we’ve had a lot to do with him and his family over the last year, so we’re pleased to finally deliver that. He’s a very exciting prospect. We went tall today, not for the sake of it but for the sake their names were right – they’ve got to have the right names and we think Jordan Roughead and Liam Jones have got long careers ahead of them. Roughead is a ruckman and Jones is a central key position player and we’ll give them every chance by developing them for long careers.

"All three boys need conditioning with a long-term future in mind, not short-term. We rated those three boys and we called them out accordingly. I don’t think we stand here today saying they’ll play round one because we’d be conditioning them for the short-term and I made the point we can’t do that – they need some work."

Sounds like my mum picking racehorses,"I like their names".
Out with the stats and if they can play the game, we all just liked the names!

comrade
29-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Buddy Franklin = indigenous key position player

Liam Jones = indigenous key position player

Just saying....

:D

MrMahatma
30-11-2008, 02:29 AM
Buddy Franklin = indigenous key position player

Liam Jones = indigenous key position player

Just saying....

:D
What?

They're all the same?

comrade
30-11-2008, 11:04 AM
What?

They're all the same?

No, not at all. Just relaying the fact that they are both indigenous, and both are key position size (which in itself is unique as the majority of indigenous kids picked up being light, flankers/midfielders).

If Liam Jones becomes anything like Buddy I think we'd all be very stoked.

Sedat
30-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Jones looks like he was separated at birth from Goose Maguire. Hope he plays like him (without the crippling injuries).

azabob
30-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Jones looks like he was separated at birth from Goose Maguire. Hope he plays like him (without the crippling injuries).

Maguire is an average 3rd tall at best.

GVGjr
30-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Maguire is an average 3rd tall at best.

I rate him a bit better than that when fit.

Desipura
30-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Totally agree

mighty_west
30-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Jones looks pretty good in the tri colours! [in todays Hun]

http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/3/11/29/f_CCF11302008m_bd5fa24.jpg

GVGjr
30-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Hmm, I think you will find that is Cordy

Mofra
30-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Any rookies drafted will be midfielders surely.....
Liam Picken is training with us, has to be a good chance for a rookie spot, surely. Morris & Boyd both started as run-with players so the precedent has been set.

azabob
30-11-2008, 07:28 PM

Yep it certainly is Cordy

mighty_west
30-11-2008, 09:03 PM

I was gonna say, his arms are very skinny!

KT31
30-11-2008, 09:30 PM

That means you would never have been able to rate him.

GVGjr
30-11-2008, 09:34 PM
So you can't rate him.

He's a pretty handy footballer and certainly better than and average 3rd tall at best when fit

gohardorgohome
30-11-2008, 11:33 PM
If the video is anything to go by I think that Jones seems to be the pick of the two. I liked what I saw there.

Scorlibo
06-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Have these two flown over to Arizona to join the others?

soupman
07-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Have these two flown over to Arizona to join the others?

Probably not. It would be a bit daunting for them to be thrown into another country with a group of men they have never met. Plus they'd have to sort out passports and whatnot.

LostDoggy
07-12-2008, 02:18 AM
Probably not. It would be a bit daunting for them to be thrown into another country with a group of men they have never met. Plus they'd have to sort out passports and whatnot.

And the trip was financed by a lot of fundraising by the players, it would not have been fair for these three to just join in.