PDA

View Full Version : Carlton top 4 in 2009 - WTF?

Dry Rot
29-11-2008, 01:15 PM
I was reading on another forum that many thought that the Carlton would make top 4 in 2009.

Now we know that historically a team from outside the 8 usually makes the top 4, but Carlton?

Aside from their gun draft picks, IMO the rest of their side isn't much chop.

GVGjr
29-11-2008, 01:17 PM
They will need a couple of seasons more before they will become a top 4 side. I suspect that the top 8 is very realistic chance for them though.

Dry Rot
29-11-2008, 01:19 PM
They will need a couple of seasons more before they will become a top 4 side. I suspect that the top 8 is very realistic chance for them though.

Agreed.

So who is your smokey bottom 8 side to make top 4 in 2009?

angelopetraglia
29-11-2008, 01:19 PM
How is the arrogance of their recruiting tagline?

"They know we are coming."

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/Membership/tabid/4403/default.aspx

I thought they would have waited until they actually did something before the old non-humble ways of Carlton returned.

GVGjr
29-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Agreed.

So who is your smokey bottom 8 side to make top 4 in 2009?

To early to call. I think the top 4 sides are a good step ahead of the others at the moment so there might not be a change.

Bulldog4life
29-11-2008, 01:39 PM
How is the arrogance of their recruiting tagline?

"They know we are coming."

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/Membership/tabid/4403/default.aspx

I thought they would have waited until they actually did something before the old non-humble ways of Carlton returned.

I will really miss them being on or near the bottom of the ladder. Loved every minute of it.:D

Bulldog Revolution
29-11-2008, 01:45 PM
It is early to think about that but here goes:

You'd have to think that Port were a good chance to turn it around given they still have quite a few guns, and if they have a better time with injury then they could get back going

I never expected the Eagles to be as bad as they were last season, but given they were I dont think that they can bounce back that quickly

Brisbane have serious upside but there's still quite a few question marks - defence and their midfields ability to use the footy, apart from the obvious guns.

Carlton also have a few potential holes, but doesn't everyone? It's hard not to see them being better. Judd was pretty incredible off a reduced pre-season last year - he might win them another 2-3 games all by himself in 09.

bornadog
29-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Basically, who cares thread. Hate that club and don't even want to think about them

Sockeye Salmon
29-11-2008, 03:07 PM
West Coast will be back.

They only finished 2nd last because they got off to a bad start and from then on it was Target Naitanui time.

azabob
29-11-2008, 03:26 PM
West Coast will be back.

They only finished 2nd last because they got off to a bad start and from then on it was Target Naitanui time.

Totally agree, remember what happend last time they were at the bottom, they drafted some guy called Chris Judd and then by 2006 they were best team in the land. They are the one club which manages to go down for a year, draft extremely well and then return bigger and better than before.

ledge
29-11-2008, 03:49 PM
I think the swans are on the way down.

mighty_west
29-11-2008, 05:32 PM
I was reading on another forum that many thought that the Carlton would make top 4 in 2009.

Now we know that historically a team from outside the 8 usually makes the top 4, but Carlton?

Aside from their gun draft picks, IMO the rest of their side isn't much chop.

Yet we can't even beat them!!!!

They musn't be that bad, and i think they are a massive chance of knocking on the door of the top 4.

LostDoggy
29-11-2008, 06:20 PM
I think the swans are on the way down.

I think they still have 1 year. They wont be competitive against the likes of us, Hawks and the Cats but id say they are a fair chance against the others.

Scraggers
30-11-2008, 02:51 AM
Totally agree, remember what happend last time they were at the bottom, they drafted some guy called Chris Judd and then by 2006 they were best team in the land. They are the one club which manages to go down for a year, draft extremely well and then return bigger and better than before.

They do draft well ... but with the 5 picks (trades for Judd etc) in the top 27 drafts at the end of 2007, you would have thought 2008 would have been a bumper year for them ... as much as it pains me to say it ... Beware the Eagle in 2009 :eek:

Go_Dogs
30-11-2008, 11:59 AM
West Coast will be back.

Port too.

LostDoggy
30-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Any other team but b!@#& Carlton:mad:

dog town
30-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Carlton will continue to improve. They dont have the depth to make top 4 though.

LostDoggy
04-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Isn't every club making top four?? That is the usual statement this time of year.

LostDoggy
05-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Yet we can't even beat them!!!!

They musn't be that bad, and i think they are a massive chance of knocking on the door of the top 4.

Good point. done us the last couple of years. Now that is tragic.

Sedat
08-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Carlton will continue to improve. They dont have the depth to make top 4 though.
Agreed. Strong and deep midfield, proven goalkicker and match winner up forward, ruck stocks not great but have improved with Warnock's arrival, but the big query is down back - they will leak some goals again in '09.

azabob
08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Agreed. Strong and deep midfield, proven goalkicker and match winner up forward, ruck stocks not great but have improved with Warnock's arrival, but the big query is down back - they will leak some goals again in '09.

I'm not sold about Warnock, if he was any good he would have been getting more game time at Freo. Again another guy over 200cm who was in the right place at the right time.

Sedat
08-12-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm not sold about Warnock, if he was any good he would have been getting more game time at Freo. Again another guy over 200cm who was in the right place at the right time.
He's added depth to their ruck division, which was probably in even worse shape than ours last year. Whether or not he delivers on his potential, that is another question, but they won't be relying on someone with Cameron Cloke's limitations (not to mention 3 shoulder recos) to bear the brunt of their ruck stocks in 2009.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-12-2008, 06:22 PM

Whilst Fevola is certainly a star up forward, what other options do they have? I still personally think they need to find another two quality forwards who can consistently trouble backlines and contribute to the scoreboard. Betts is OK as a small forward pocket, but they need more from their medium types.

Their backline is still really average, too - as you said. They should improve, and perhaps play Finals, but they still have a long way to go. Their list is promissing but they have some big holes in the back half and until that's addressed, it's hard to see them being any real threat. They have been developing a couple of options (Bower? Jamison?) but I'm not so sure they're going to be good enough.

I predict they'll finish 8th-12th.

LostDoggy
08-12-2008, 10:17 PM
I cannot stand Carlton. Unfortunately they'll make the top 8 next year but I think the top 4 is a bit of a stretch. Geelong, Hawks and the Dogs are clearly the best 3 teams in the comp (although many people have the dogs out the 8) and I think Brisbane will be the 4th best team next year.

ledge
08-12-2008, 10:34 PM
I am going to go out on a limb here and predict Richmond to finish 9th.

Dry Rot
05-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Anyone watch last night's game? Are Carlton the real deal?

GVGjr
05-04-2009, 10:10 AM

I didn't see a lot of it but they are very good. They should be disappointed if they don't make the top 6.

comrade
05-04-2009, 10:11 AM

I don't really rate Brisbane that highly and I didn't see much of the game but Carlton seem to struggle to contain key forwards when teams go the hail mary.

Beating Carlton is all about restricting possession and ball movement, similar to us. If you can win the ball and put their defence (which is questionable) under relentless pressure, they'll eventually crumble. They've got a nice mix up forward but I still think they'll struggle against the lock down teams.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-04-2009, 07:18 PM
It's only Round 2 and they've played nobody.

They generally start seasons OK but I predict another fall away.

ledge
05-04-2009, 07:22 PM
It's only Round 2 and they've played nobody.

They generally start seasons OK but I predict another fall away.

On that point and watching Freo and Nth have we played anyone of any high standard yet?
Admittedly Nth keep you honest and always try but are they finals material?

AndrewP6
05-04-2009, 08:45 PM
God I hope they don't go top 4....hate them with a passion...oh if only Sir Judd goes lame again...

The Bulldogs Bite
06-04-2009, 01:15 AM
On that point and watching Freo and Nth have we played anyone of any high standard yet?
Admittedly Nth keep you honest and always try but are they finals material?

I think I predicted North to slide.

But in any case a win over them is always good - particularly when considering they've been our bogey side for the last four years.

To be fair, we proved ourselves last year and so our "good form" is more honest. Carlton's on the other hand is a bit of guess work - they look OK but I am far from convinced, as was the case this time last year for us.

Sockeye Salmon
06-04-2009, 10:31 AM
I think I predicted North to slide.

But in any case a win over them is always good - particularly when considering they've been our bogey side for the last four years.

To be fair, we proved ourselves last year and so our "good form" is more honest. Carlton's on the other hand is a bit of guess work - they look OK but I am far from convinced, as was the case this time last year for us.

I predict North to slide every year.

Last year I told a North supporter at work, "the problem with North is the players are the only one's who haven't realised how shit they are".