PDA

View Full Version : David Smorgon

ledge
01-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Would like say a big thank you to David Smorgon as the president of this club and what he has achieved during his tenure.
A stable and proffessional looking off field team.
A very promising list that has come through the people he has chosen in the football department.
Campbell Rose, would have to be one of his finest catches.
The Whitten oval redevelopment.
The courage to fix mistakes or problems that have surfaced head on.
The way he handles the media in a positive manner and does not bring negative press reports.
The fact he lays it on the line about our financial needs so nothing is hidden to our supporters.
Through a very hard time personally he has just got stronger towards the club.
To David Smorgon, as a supporter i cannot thank him enough for all he has done.
A premiership is never more deserved than for this man.
Is he our greatest president?
I tend to think no other has acheived so much.
With apologies to Peter Gordon who i do realize none of this could have happened if he wasnt there a few years ago.
Does anyone know of a president who has achieved so much at the club before?

GVGjr
01-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Whilst I acknowledge everything you have listed it's his lack of being able to get a major sponsor that really stands out as his only shortfall.
I doubt that there has been too many presidents that haven't been able attract major sponsors in fact I would have thought that it's almost a pre-requisite for the position.

ledge
01-12-2008, 02:08 PM
I am surprised Smorgons the company never became a major sponsor, although didnt they sell off a few years ago?

ledge
01-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Whilst I acknowledge everything you have listed it's his lack of being able to get a major sponsor that really stands out as his only shortfall.
I doubt that there has been too many presidents that haven't been able attract major sponsors in fact I would have thought that it's almost a pre-requisite for the position.

Are you just talking this year ?
I dont think climate is helping us as it is a struggle for 2 other clubs as well, not really his fault.
I think our problem is our sponsorship contract ran out in the wrong year.
Also i just get the inkling he didnt expect leaseplan to not renew, which catches you by surprise.
I know we will get one somewhere, its just a matter of time, Campbell Rose and David are on the ball i have no doubt.

GVGjr
01-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Are you just talking this year ?

Not just this year.

ledge
01-12-2008, 02:41 PM
I think we have always struggled , be it David or whoever.
Still dont think we have had a year with no major sponsor in the end.

bornadog
01-12-2008, 03:09 PM

Agree with all you have said about David, except as GVGjr says, he has failed to attract sponsors to the club. I would have thought with his business profile, he would have many contacts through his network, however, apparently he doesn't.

Other than the sponsorship thing, Smorgon should be regarded as one of our greatest Presidents in our 120 plus year history.

GVGjr
01-12-2008, 10:14 PM

Do you remember the year where we had different sponsors for each game? That was a disaster. In the end I think Bob Jane T-Marts came to the rescue and filled in the gaps.
Eddie McGuire had a fair bit to do with helping us with Lease Plan.

GVGjr
01-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Other than the sponsorship thing, Smorgan should be regarded as one of our greatest Presidents in our 120 plus year history.

Smorgon has been terrific but lets not discount Peter Gordon's effort as well. He stepped up to the plate when we were down but just not quite out of it.

Sockeye Salmon
01-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Smorgon has been terrific but lets not discount Peter Gordon's effort as well. He stepped up to the plate when we were down but just not quite out of it.

Gordon was fantastic for us - absolutely the right man for the job at the time - but by the end of 96 he had admitted defeat as well and it was Smorgon and his team who stepped in and really turned things around, especially after the initial disaster that was Bernie Saundry.

Mantis
01-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Gordon was fantastic for us - absolutely the right man for the job at the time - but by the end of 96 he had admitted defeat as well and it was Smorgon and his team who stepped in and really turned things around, especially after the initial disaster that was Bernie Saundry.

Smorgon took the rein's at the start of the 97 season. Saundry was hired at the beginning of the 2002 season after Mark Patterson departed.

Look's like Smorgo may have created that disaster.

Sockeye Salmon
01-12-2008, 11:34 PM
[/B]

Smorgon took the rein's at the start of the 97 season. Saundry was hired at the beginning of the 2002 season after Mark Patterson departed.

Look's like Smorgo may have created that disaster.

That's what I meant. Smorgon buggered that appointment up big time but we still managed to get over it (God bless Cambell Rose). It must have been a near thing at the time.

ledge
02-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Well no ones perfect, its facing your mistakes and fixing them that makes you a man.
Still think whats been achieved in the Smorgon years has been our greatest in moving forward.

ledge
02-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Do you remember the year where we had different sponsors for each game? That was a disaster. In the end I think Bob Jane T-Marts came to the rescue and filled in the gaps.
Eddie McGuire had a fair bit to do with helping us with Lease Plan.

Yeah vaguely i do, does this come down to Smorgon though or sponsors being to scared to commit due to our history of the 10 years before?
Remember we nearly went down the gurgler twice, would you put your money into something looking like the Titanic at the time?
Now it seems to be we have had our sponsorship deal run out at the most innappropriate time.
Bad timing i would put this one down too.
Is Smorgon our sponsorship recruit or is it Campbell Rose or is it both?
Do we have a sponsorship committee?
I dont know how we work it at the club.

LostDoggy
02-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Even in time of downturn there are companies out there making a lot of money...it's the role of the current board and it's ceo to go out there and get them. unfortunatly this is the only black mark on Smogo's time.

ledge
02-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Maybe we should watch this space for a while, there has to be a few they are talking to right at this minute.
Who knows we might have the biggest sponsorship deal ever just around the corner, when one door closes another opens.
I have faith something will pop up, just want it sooner than later.

ledge
02-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Just on that point the company i work for supplies alcohol for BWS, Dan Murphy and Safeway, and it is a given when things go downhill economically those places flourish.
Ok its Woolworths, never known them to sponsor anything actually.
So yes there are companies that flourish in down times.

bornadog
02-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Even in time of downturn there are companies out there making a lot of money...it's the role of the current board and it's ceo to go out there and get them. unfortunatly this is the only black mark on Smogo's time.

Truth be known the Bulldogs have been a hard sell in the past as the brand is just not up there with the likes of Collingwood, Carlton and co.

With the redevelopment, and the team playing into a prelim last year, and membership nearing 30,000, and playing football in every state of Australia, maybe we can sell the brand better?

Lets see how good Campbell and Smorgon are now.

ledge
02-12-2008, 03:46 PM
All will be good i have confidence.

bornadog
02-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Quick edit your post its Smorgon

aaahhhhhh I did what a lot of people do - fixed.