PDA

View Full Version : Next years ladder

ledge
08-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Does anyone have an idea on how they think next years ladder will be at the end of the home and away season and which coaches will not be coaching?

My prediction:
Knights and Harvey to be sacked.
Ladder
Cats
Bulldogs
Hawks
Lions
Kangaroos
Blues
Magpies
Power
Tigers
Eagles
Saints
Swans
Crows
Dockers
Bombers
Demons

Sockeye Salmon
08-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Dogs
Hawthorn
Geelong
West Coast
Carlton
Collingwood
St. Kilda
Brisbane
Richmond
Fremantle
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Essendon
North Melbourne
Melbourne

The best bit was I rated, out of ten, each teams forward line, midfield and backline and totalled them up - and Richmond still came 9th!

ledge
08-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Any coaches you think will go Sockeye?

The Bulldogs Bite
09-12-2008, 12:01 AM
1. Hawthorn - Not convinced they'll finish top, but they should get a strong belief after beating Geelong in the GF. I think they'll improve before they decline, too.

2. Western Bulldogs - A sense of 'we should of done better' lingers, and that can only be a positive. Still have a heap of improvement, anything less than Top 4 would be ordinary.

3. Geelong - Probaly a safe bet to finish first, but I'm going to tip a little slide as teams begin to work harder, improve and find ways of beating Geelong.

4. Collingwood - They had a few injuries this year but still did reasonably well. They seem to 'find' a few players each year, and whilst they aren't star studded, I'd expect them to be a good side in '09.

5. Port Adelaide - Potentially a top four side, though they probably are lacking a touch in a few areas. Certainly under-performed this year, but they've got a relatively young side which should see them return to form in '09.

6. Kangaroos - Laidley is too good of a coach for them to completely drop out of contention. They're a solid side but struggled with consistency this year. Doubt they'll be a serious threat, but they won't be push overs - they never are.

7. Brisbane - I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish much lower, especially with Voss at the helm, but with a good midfield and two quality KPF's they should still be OK. They seem to drop off the pace badly for periods of the year, but I think they'll squeeze in to play finals.

8. Carlton - Their midfield should continue to improve, realistically making it one of the best in the competition. If they don't make finals it would be a major disappointment for them. I'm not 'sold' on Carlton but they should be able to beat the sides below them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. St. Kilda - They were lucky this year to finish top four because really, they struggled to stay in the 8 for most of the season. I can't see them improving too much, they'll finish 7th-11th IMO.

10. Richmond - Perhaps worth an outside bet of making the finals, but the sides above them seem to have something more. They still are relying on Richardson and Brown far too much, even though they have some young talent coming through.

11. Sydney - It's hard to see Sydney dropping too low, they're still going to be a tough side. It'll be interesting if their game plan changes as they bring in fresh new faces. Probably time to re-build, so I doubt they'll play finals.

12. Adelaide - If they played finals next year, it would be a mighty effort. Probably not completely beyond them either, but they seem due for a bit of a slide. They did really well to cope with injuries this year but I think that and age might catch up with them.

13. Essendon - Might have them a little low here, but overall I think they're still a few years off playing finals. If they remain injury free then they could finish around 8th-11th.

14. West Coast - Again, might have them a little low, but I don't rate them. No chance of playing Finals and whilst they have drafted very well the last couple of years, it's unlikely Masten etc. can have too much of an impact for at least another year or so. They'll be sporadic - good in periods of a game, but unable to be a four quarter side because they're fairly inexperienced.

15. Fremantle - It's difficult to determine how much they can and will improve. I think their list is still fairly average, but they are beginning to get some young talent on their list.

16. Melbourne - Never know what's going to happen in footy, but it's hard to see Melbourne improving too much. I think they're going to be celler dwellers for another year or two, at least until their picks over the last two or so drafts can contribute well enough.

Sockeye Salmon
09-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Any coaches you think will go Sockeye?

Harvey cos he's hopeless.

I reckon Choco Williams is a chance to crack the sads and snatch it.

soupman
09-12-2008, 11:34 AM
1. Hawthorn: The scary thing about this mob is that they could easily become better, and probably stay up here for a few years, unless someone like us manages to improve enough to knock them off their perch.

2. Geelong: Will start to slide, but not too far. They're second more so because Hawthorn will be the best club in the league next year.

3. Western Bulldogs: I think if anything we should improve. The only semi-regular inclusions from this year that have left have been Scott West and Farren Ray, neither players who we relied on to win any games this year. Couple this with the natural improvement of guys like Griffen and Higgins, and the possibility of someone like a Ward, O'Keefe or Reid stepping up into the senior line up I think we should go alright.

We're in a weird situation where we probably aren't quite good enough to win the premiership yet, but are going to be able to develop our side to become a possible premiership side whilst hovering around 3rd spot. What I mean to say is I think we'll stay around this spot until Grant, Cordy and/or Boumann come on and take us to that next level. Having said that though, I still think we're capable of winning an upset flag in the next couple of years, its just it'll have to be an upset.

4. Port Adelaide: Well every year a team from outside the eight becomes a top four side, Port's time is now. They underachieved this year and will be right back in the mix. Davenport will be a good selection i think.

These guys aren't half bad, play above their capabilities and would be able to obtain this position I reckon.

5. Collingwood: These guys aren't half bad, play above their capabilities and could push for top four.

6. Carlton: A club where it could all come together, and probably should, but I'm still just hoping it doesn't. They need blokes like Yarran and whatnot to step up and help Fevola out, and if they do they could finish as high as top four, but if they don't they could finish as low as 9th or 10th. The wildcard team.

7. North Melbourne: I don't really rate them, but they are North Melbourne which means they'll be thereabouts this year again. Like Collingwood they seem to be able to lift above their capabilities, and could threaten a few clubs in the finals.

8. Sydney: A bit like North, they are always thereabouts and despite entering a rebuilding sort of phase, they should still threaten. Probably the last year of this though as their older brigade will really start to drop off after next season.

9. Adelaide: I like the Crows, they aren't exceptional but they are certainly a decent quality side. They'll be the first side I'd put in should any of the above sides fail to make the eight.

10. Richmond: I'm hoping that Richmond don't make the eight, as firstly I don't think they are that good or that close, and secondly there are several clubs I rate higher than them. Having said that they are a chance to finish as high as 6th, but I think the 9th/10th mark would be much more accurate (and more enjoyable).

11. St.Kilda: I'm still wondering how these guys made the top four. They were lucky to play finals IMO. They could play finals next year, but I don't think so. If they miss the eight Ross Lyon will be sacked, but hopefully Farren Ray establishes himself as a senior player because he's certainly good enough.

12. Essendon: So much depends on injuries here. If they are injury free and hit some form they could finish as high as 8th/9th, but this is much more the mark I would be expecting. This season should be more about getting the younger players introduced to the side and trying to develop guys like Neagle, Gumbleton and Hurley as the successors to Lloyd, Lucas and Fletcher.

13. West Coast: These guys will win a few games, courtesy of lots of talent and a nice home ground advantage. Could finsih up around the 9th mark, but could also finish 15th. Worsfold should be safe though unless it is a true disaster season.

14. Brisbane: I can't believe how low I have them, especially as I like them. It's Voss that i think is the problem. I think (and am hoping) he is a complete flop. He doesn't present that well as a great thinker and motivational speaker to me based on the TV work he's done, and doesn't convince me he'll be the raging success some media outlets had talked him up to be. I'm just not sure that Brisbanes list can finish this low though, as they could finish as high as 5th.

15. Fremantle: A club that could very well finish 5th in the finals, if they had have kicked just 10 more points in every one of their games this year we would be looking at them completely differently. Their problem for me is that their midfield is poor, and will be made up mostly of young inexperienced players who are new to the AFL system.

16. Melbourne: I will be surprised if anybody places these guys higher than 16th, there is no real quality anywhere on the field for them. Pretty much every player in their side could be touted as "young, with alot of unfulfilled potential".

So the coaches I have getting sacked are:
Terry Wallace: Surely Richmond can't justify keeping him if they miss the finals again.
Michael Voss: Potentially a massive flop.
Ross Lyon: I think St.Kilda's board will be expecting more than their side's capable of.

azabob
09-12-2008, 01:16 PM
1. Hawthorn: The scary thing about this mob is that they could easily become better, and probably stay up here for a few years, unless someone like us manages to improve enough to knock them off their perch.

2. Geelong: Will start to slide, but not too far. They're second more so because Hawthorn will be the best club in the league next year.

3. Western Bulldogs: I think if anything we should improve. The only semi-regular inclusions from this year that have left have been Scott West and Farren Ray, neither players who we relied on to win any games this year. Couple this with the natural improvement of guys like Griffen and Higgins, and the possibility of someone like a Ward, O'Keefe or Reid stepping up into the senior line up I think we should go alright.

We're in a weird situation where we probably aren't quite good enough to win the premiership yet, but are going to be able to develop our side to become a possible premiership side whilst hovering around 3rd spot. What I mean to say is I think we'll stay around this spot until Grant, Cordy and/or Boumann come on and take us to that next level. Having said that though, I still think we're capable of winning an upset flag in the next couple of years, its just it'll have to be an upset.

4. Port Adelaide: Well every year a team from outside the eight becomes a top four side, Port's time is now. They underachieved this year and will be right back in the mix. Davenport will be a good selection i think.

These guys aren't half bad, play above their capabilities and would be able to obtain this position I reckon.

5. Collingwood: These guys aren't half bad, play above their capabilities and could push for top four.

6. Carlton: A club where it could all come together, and probably should, but I'm still just hoping it doesn't. They need blokes like Yarran and whatnot to step up and help Fevola out, and if they do they could finish as high as top four, but if they don't they could finish as low as 9th or 10th. The wildcard team.

7. North Melbourne: I don't really rate them, but they are North Melbourne which means they'll be thereabouts this year again. Like Collingwood they seem to be able to lift above their capabilities, and could threaten a few clubs in the finals.

8. Sydney: A bit like North, they are always thereabouts and despite entering a rebuilding sort of phase, they should still threaten. Probably the last year of this though as their older brigade will really start to drop off after next season.

9. Adelaide: I like the Crows, they aren't exceptional but they are certainly a decent quality side. They'll be the first side I'd put in should any of the above sides fail to make the eight.

10. Richmond: I'm hoping that Richmond don't make the eight, as firstly I don't think they are that good or that close, and secondly there are several clubs I rate higher than them. Having said that they are a chance to finish as high as 6th, but I think the 9th/10th mark would be much more accurate (and more enjoyable).

11. St.Kilda: I'm still wondering how these guys made the top four. They were lucky to play finals IMO. They could play finals next year, but I don't think so. If they miss the eight Ross Lyon will be sacked, but hopefully Farren Ray establishes himself as a senior player because he's certainly good enough.

12. Essendon: So much depends on injuries here. If they are injury free and hit some form they could finish as high as 8th/9th, but this is much more the mark I would be expecting. This season should be more about getting the younger players introduced to the side and trying to develop guys like Neagle, Gumbleton and Hurley as the successors to Lloyd, Lucas and Fletcher.

13. West Coast: These guys will win a few games, courtesy of lots of talent and a nice home ground advantage. Could finsih up around the 9th mark, but could also finish 15th. Worsfold should be safe though unless it is a true disaster season.

14. Brisbane: I can't believe how low I have them, especially as I like them. It's Voss that i think is the problem. I think (and am hoping) he is a complete flop. He doesn't present that well as a great thinker and motivational speaker to me based on the TV work he's done, and doesn't convince me he'll be the raging success some media outlets had talked him up to be. I'm just not sure that Brisbanes list can finish this low though, as they could finish as high as 5th.

15. Fremantle: A club that could very well finish 5th in the finals, if they had have kicked just 10 more points in every one of their games this year we would be looking at them completely differently. Their problem for me is that their midfield is poor, and will be made up mostly of young inexperienced players who are new to the AFL system.

16. Melbourne: I will be surprised if anybody places these guys higher than 16th, there is no real quality anywhere on the field for them. Pretty much every player in their side could be touted as "young, with alot of unfulfilled potential".

Terry Wallace: Surely Richmond can't justify keeping him if they miss the finals again.
Michael Voss: Potentially a massive flop.
Ross Lyon: I think St.Kilda's board will be expecting more than their side's capable of.

The Wallace one is interesting I think he has got one of the better young lists going around he has quite a few capable talls at either end of the ground, and his midfield group are coming together quite nicely. He just went down the wrong path for his first 2 years in drafting older players.
I think if they improve again in 2009 he should get signed for another year or two.

mighty_west
09-12-2008, 01:56 PM
1- Hawthorn
2- Western Bulldogs
3- Collingwood
4- Carlton
5- Geelong
6- Adelaide
7- North Melbourne
8- St Kilda

9- Richmond
10- Essendon
11- Sydney
12- Fremantle
13- West Coast
14- Port Adelaide
15- Brisbane
16- Melbourne

Coaches gone - Choco Williams, Mark Harvey, Terry Wallace

LostDoggy
09-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Dogs
Hawthorn
Geelong
West Coast
Carlton
Collingwood
St. Kilda
Brisbane
Richmond
Fremantle
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Essendon
North Melbourne
Melbourne

The best bit was I rated, out of ten, each teams forward line, midfield and backline and totalled them up - and Richmond still came 9th!

How did the Dogs come out on top with your 10 point rating? Our forward line is small and dysfunctional under real pressure. Our backline is workman like, but at times can be leaky (Williams a plus if he plays, granted). Good midfield, but maybe a tad slow and unaccountable.

West Coast 4th. Big call!! I cant see them winning many games away from home with such a young squad. Forward line is a major worry.
They have a good young squad but its 2yrs to early.

I would be very surprised if both South Aust teams missed the 8. Normally one goes ok.

GVGjr
09-12-2008, 02:57 PM
How did the Dogs come out on top with your 10 point rating? Our forward line is small and dysfunctional under real pressure. Our backline is workman like, but at times can be leaky (Williams a plus if he plays, granted). Good midfield, but maybe a tad slow and unaccountable.

Jerry, how about putting up your ladder?

Scraggers
09-12-2008, 03:06 PM
1- Hawthorn
2- Geelong
3- Western Bulldogs
4- Collingwood
5- St Kilda
6- Adelaide
7- Sydney
8- West Coast
---------------------------
9- North Melbourne
10- Fremantle
11- Richmond
12- Carlton
13- Essendon
14- Brisbane
15- Melbourne
16- Port Adelaide

Coaches gone - Terry Wallace (+ Mark Williams to retire)
2009 Premiers - Gelong (narrowly defeating the Western Bulldogs)
Brownlow Medalist - Adam Cooney
Norm Smith Medalist - Ryan Griffen
Coleman Medalist - Brendan Fevola
NAB Rising Star - Matthew Kreuzer / Daniel Rich (Tie)

Did I miss any ?? :)

LostDoggy
09-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Jerry, how about putting up your ladder?

Geelong
Hawks
Collingwood
Bulldogs
North Melb
Brisbane
Carlton
Adelaide

Richmond
St Kilda
Essendon
Sydney
WCE
Freo
Port
Melbourne

The Doctor
09-12-2008, 04:02 PM
1. Hawthorn
2. Bulldogs
3. Geelong
4. St Kilda
5. Sydney
6. Carlton
7. Collingwood
8. Adelaide
9. North Melbourne
10. Brisbane
11. West Coast
12. Richmond
13. Port Adelaide
14. Essendon
15. Fremantle
16. Melbourne

LostDoggy
09-12-2008, 04:22 PM
1. Hawthorn
2. Bulldogs
3. Geelong
4. Brisbane
5. Collingwood
6. Carlton
7. Port Adelaide
8. North Melbourne
9. Richmond
10. St Kilda
11. West Coast
12. Essendon
13. Adelaide
14. Sydney
15. Fremantle
16. Melbourne

Grand Final- Hawks vs Us (hawks win)
Coaches Gone- Mark Harvey Terry Wallace
Coleman- Buddy Franklin
Rising Star- Daniel Rich
Brownlow- Joel Selwood

Sockeye Salmon
09-12-2008, 04:29 PM
How did the Dogs come out on top with your 10 point rating?

Cos it's my bloody ladder.

mighty_west
09-12-2008, 04:36 PM

West Coast 4th. Big call!! I cant see them winning many games away from home with such a young squad. Forward line is a major worry.
They have a good young squad but its 2yrs to early.

I would be very surprised if both South Aust teams missed the 8. Normally one goes ok.

So if you're such an expert, i suppose you get 8/8 each week in the tips as well?

;)

If our team was what you describe, how on earth did we finish 3rd this year? :eek:

LostDoggy
09-12-2008, 05:06 PM
So if you're such an expert, i suppose you get 8/8 each week in the tips as well?

;)

If our team was what you describe, how on earth did we finish 3rd this year? :eek:

One of the weakest years i can remember. When a team like St kilda (3 good players, massive tail) finish 4th. Kangas,Adelaide, Sydney fighting out other spots. Come on now, we only played for 15rnds, then put the cue back in the rack.

I just think Sockeye is a little one eyed. Didnt know he was above questioning. Sorry..At least he didnt have Freo finishing 3rd this year.

Bulldog Revolution
09-12-2008, 07:05 PM
One of the weakest years i can remember. When a team like St kilda (3 good players, massive tail) finish 4th. Kangas,Adelaide, Sydney fighting out other spots.

You're entitled to your opinion Jerry but I think thats a bit dismissive of the Saints, Kangas, Crows and Swans who were generally hard to beat in 08. We beat the crows once and lost to them once - it could easily have been two losses. Sydney we beat three times, the Saints twice, whilst North beat us twice.

The Crows, Kangas and Swans were all so disciplined in there game plans and seemingly very well coached. Few would have thought the Crows would make the 8 this year and North again proved the critics wrong whilst Sydney injected a bit more youth and still were around the mark.

But 2009 is a new year and maybe you'll be right that they'll be bad in 09

mighty_west
09-12-2008, 07:32 PM
One of the weakest years i can remember. When a team like St kilda (3 good players, massive tail) finish 4th. Kangas,Adelaide, Sydney fighting out other spots. Come on now, we only played for 15rnds, then put the cue back in the rack.

I just think Sockeye is a little one eyed. Didnt know he was above questioning. Sorry..At least he didnt have Freo finishing 3rd this year.

Like alot of people, both Freo & North have burnt me for the past 4 or 5 seasons in predicting...NEVER write off the Roo's, and NEVER think Freo will be good!

LostDoggy
09-12-2008, 07:33 PM
You're entitled to your opinion Jerry but I think thats a bit dismissive of the Saints, Kangas, Crows and Swans who were generally hard to beat in 08. We beat the crows once and lost to them once - it could easily have been two losses. Sydney we beat three times, the Saints twice, whilst North beat us twice.

The Crows, Kangas and Swans were all so disciplined in there game plans and seemingly very well coached. Few would have thought the Crows would make the 8 this year and North again proved the critics wrong whilst Sydney injected a bit more youth and still were around the mark.

But 2009 is a new year and maybe you'll be right that they'll be bad in 09

They are decent ,solid teams.. But my point is they are only making up the numbers. Clarkson and Thompson wouldnt be losing sleep playing them in a final. Avery soft year. I suppose the draft is playing its part.

ledge
09-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Jerry i notice you have Collingwood 3rd, whats your thought on why they will go that well?

Go_Dogs
09-12-2008, 07:58 PM
1. Hawthorn - continued improvement and more game breakers than Geelong.
2. Geelong - too good a side to slip any further. Hawkins could be the key.
3. Bulldogs - I don't think we'll improve as much as some others, whilst the youngsters come on we cannot expect the same output from Johnson and Akermanis, and even Welsh and Eagleton who were fairly important players during 2008.
4. Brisbane - I think they're right in the mix. Good, powerful list with a few key talls.
5. Collingwood
6. Port
7. West Coast
8. Carlton - if they don't make the 8, they'd be disappointed

9. St Kilda
10. Adelaide
11. Richmond
12. Sydney
13. Kangaroos
14. Fremantle
15. Essendon
16. Melbourne

I think the Crows could finish top 4 too, depending on how their young tall forwards and midfielders come along. Going to be a very interesting year. Neil Craig has previously done very well with zones, and I think this coming season will see him bring some pretty interesting ideas.

Happy Days
09-12-2008, 10:45 PM
1. Geelong
2. Hawks
3. Dogs
4. Saints
5. Port
6. Collingwood
7. Carlton
8. Brisbane
---------------------
9. Richmond
10. Adelaide
11. North
12. Essendon
13. Swans
14. Freo
15. Eagles
16. Dees

Brownlow: J. Selwood
Coleman: Buddy
Rising Star: H. Hartlett
Coaches Gone: Wallace

LostDoggy
09-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Jerry i notice you have Collingwood 3rd, whats your thought on why they will go that well?

Main reason why is Malthouse. He seems to get the most out of his players. Had a down year last year, wouldnt be suprised to see them bounce back.

Cloke, Pendlebury, Thomas,Brown, Anthony,CLarke and a few others another year older.
Plus quality players like MEdhurst, Swan, Shaw and Didak.

Gut feeling they might suprise next year....hope not

LostDoggy
10-12-2008, 01:47 AM
1. Hawthorn: With their confidence up because of winning a flag they will be hard to beat.

2. Collingwood: Have been around the mark for awhile - they would have beaten us if karma hadn't stepped in and they had injuries to players. Home ground advantage at the MCG doesn't hurt their chances either.

3. Geelong: Will start to slide, they need to have their confidence up and it has been badly dented after the GF.

4. Western Bulldogs: I hope the disappointment of loosing the preliminary acts as a motivation. I hope that some of our drafting will pay off and unleash a couple of talents in guys like Grant, and Roughead and the possibility of Ward playing more senior footy where he looks at home.

5. West Coast has drafted some good kids and never stay down two years in a row. They underachieved this year and will be right back in the mix.

6. Richmond: Played really good football during the year, and could potentially end up higher, but a lack of experience and ageing stars in Richo, Brown etc will start to hinder them.

7. Carlton: They have put together a good side that only lacks experience now - but each year that aspect decreases. I expect Judd to have a good year along with Gipps, and co.

8. St Kilda - last crack at the flag with the best recruits in a decade - what a waste. They think they have the team to win a flag. They will need to start rebuilding next season.

9. Adelaide: A good coach who can get the best out of a mediocre list, and there are few gems on their lists now thanks to good recruiting.

10. North Melbourne: These guys always play above their capabilities and can never be discounted.

11. Essendon: So much depends on injuries here. If they are injury free and hit some form they could finish here or potentially higher - they have a skillful skinny team.

12. Sydney: Too old, and too slow. If Barry takes up boxing - bye bye Swannies.

13. Brisbane: New coach - new style of how things are done lots of changes - will take a good year to finish and I can even see them finishing lower.

14. Freo - still rebuilding after a clean out of older players - will make finals the following year.

15. Port Adelaide - I think there are internal problems in that club - agree with others - Choco might leave mid year or get sacked.

16. Melbourne: Lot of young raw talent - will be lucky to win a game.
Harvey - simply can't coach
Choco - will resign or be sacked.

Twodogs
10-12-2008, 06:57 PM
How did the Dogs come out on top with your 10 point rating? Our forward line is small and dysfunctional under real pressure.

Do you mean the forward line that has kicked more accumalated score than any other over the last 3 years? It's a fairly closed mind that only sees one way to score.

Like alot of people, both Freo & North have burnt me for the past 4 or 5 seasons in predicting...NEVER write off the Roo's, and NEVER think Freo will be good!

Freo are a basket case and wont win diddly squat while my bottom points towards the ground.

Harvey cos he's hopeless.

I reckon Choco Williams is a chance to crack the sads and snatch it.

Williams will replace Malthouse at Collingwood before the end of next season. malthouse should have stood down two years ago. Harvey is the second worst coach in the AFL after Dean Bailey. Melbourne have no choice but to go down the path of appointing coaches who will coach in return for board and lodgings-I'm not sure what Freo's purpose is in appointing Harvey.

LostDoggy
10-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Do you mean the forward line that has kicked more accumalated score than any other over the last 3 years? It's a fairly closed mind that only sees one way to score.

So our forward line isnt small?
And is dysfunctional under pressure? It breaks down against quality opposition every time.

Mantis
11-12-2008, 09:02 AM
And is dysfunctional under pressure? It breaks down against quality opposition every time.

I do tend to agree with jerry on this one. If you broke down our scoring patterns I would think that you would find there would be a fair difference to the amount we score against the top 4 or 6 teams & the rest of the competition.

In our 2 finals against the top 2 teams we scored a combined total of 18 goals, which isn't really good enough for an 'attacking' team. We also tend to score heavily early in the season when our running players are moving freely, but as they get sore/ injured our scoring drops off.

Twodogs
11-12-2008, 10:49 AM

Where did I say it wasnt small? Just because it's a small forward line doesnt mean it doesnt work. While it would be great to have a tall forward line, we dont and we have to work with what we've got.

I disagree it's dysfuncunctional under pressure. It has it's bad days but every part of every team has it's bad days. And most forward lines struggle against quality opposition.

I do tend to agree with jerry on this one. If you broke down our scoring patterns I would think that you would find there would be a fair difference to the amount we score against the top 4 or 6 teams & the rest of the competition.

Isnt that the situation with almost every team? It's natural that a forward line struggles against quality opposition.

In our 2 finals against the top 2 teams we scored a combined total of 18 goals, which isn't really good enough for an 'attacking' team. We also tend to score heavily early in the season when our running players are moving freely, but as they get sore/ injured our scoring drops off.

Do you mean running players in the forward line or in the midfield?

LostDoggy
11-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Where did I say it wasnt small? Just because it's a small forward line doesnt mean it doesnt work. While it would be great to have a tall forward line, we dont and we have to work with what we've got.

I disagree it's dysfuncunctional under pressure. It has it's bad days but every part of every team has it's bad days. And most forward lines struggle against quality opposition.

Sure we can kick 120pts against some mid table struggler in rnd 5. BUT....
Did you watch the Geelong game at Skilled? The hawks game??WCE final of 06? When a team plays tight 'finals' footy against us, it puts to much pressure on the midfielders trying to pin point small leading targets. The ball turns over easily and the defence is under siege.Our bad days are against quality sides in big matches. Hence, dysfunctional under pressure.

Mantis
11-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Do you mean running players in the forward line or in the midfield?

Both.

Our lead up style is heavily effected by fatigued legs.