PDA

View Full Version : Cheap as Chips Trading Record

bulldogtragic
09-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Rawlings, Street, Koops etc.

The giving away of top draft picks - How far do you think it set us back? Do you think it will cost us even more?

Sockeye Salmon
09-12-2008, 07:19 PM

The giving away of top draft picks - How far do you think it set us back? Do you think it will cost us even more?

The only redeeming factor was that he did it in what was probably the worst draft ever.

mighty_west
09-12-2008, 07:43 PM
He definatly got bent over thats for sure, i don't have such a problem with gaining players such as Street, Koops, Morgan etc, even Rawlings, but it was what we paid for those players.

We needed talls, Streeta gave us pretty good service, Koops unfortunatly was too injury prone, before that i rated him as a player at Freo.

Morgan wasn't a world beater, but was doing OK before doing his knee, and Rawlings was NEVER a power forward which we tried to turn him into, he was a good 2nd or 3rd string defender at the Hawks!!!

To think we paid more for Koops, Rawlings, Street than a Brownlow & 3 time Premiership player in Akermanis!!!! :eek:

At least Rocket paid virtualy nothing for Doogs, was worth a shot.

Go_Dogs
09-12-2008, 08:00 PM
The only redeeming factor was that he did it in what was probably the worst draft ever.

I tend to agree. If we had done that in say, 1999 and missed out on that class, we'd be stuffed!

comrade
09-12-2008, 08:19 PM

I feel sick...

Happy Days
09-12-2008, 10:26 PM
I tend to agree. If we had done that in say, 1999 and missed out on that class, we'd be stuffed!

We were lucky to dodge a bullet as the '03 draft was god-awful (save of course for a certain A. Cooney).

But we did however miss out on a player of great class in the form of Nick Stevens. Imagine our midfield with him in it!

azabob
09-12-2008, 10:51 PM
We were lucky to dodge a bullet as the '03 draft was god-awful (save of course for a certain A. Cooney).

But we did however miss out on a player of great class in the form of Nick Stevens. Imagine our midfield with him in it!

Hindsite is wonderful thing, but at the time I had no problems with it at all. Injuries hurt both Koops and Morgan, Street served his purpose. Rawlings never claimed to be a power forward and kicking 7 odd goals in his first match for us didnt help his cause. And in theory we traded N. Brown and on traded that pick therefore keeping our original first round pick. So in my opinion it was the right things to do.
Regarding Nick Stevens kinda glad we dodged that bullet.

soupman
10-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Morgan wasn't a world beater, but was doing OK before doing his knee.

I remember that game (vs Essendon I think, it was the game where Lloyd did his hammy and about 2 other players were carried off. We had a German exchange student with us who though AFL was a bloodsport as a result). If I remember correctly Morgan started that game brilliantly, and was finally looking like he'd be a handy component of our forwardline. A shame really.

Sockeye Salmon
10-12-2008, 12:46 AM
I remember that game (vs Essendon I think, it was the game where Lloyd did his hammy and about 2 other players were carried off. We had a German exchange student with us who though AFL was a bloodsport as a result). If I remember correctly Morgan started that game brilliantly, and was finally looking like he'd be a handy component of our forwardline. A shame really.

Minson broke his leg that game as well.

Rocket Science
10-12-2008, 03:17 AM

Bingo...after copious water-treading, Morgan was just beginning to cement his spot in the team and provide consistent pack-busting service. His knee buckled at the most inopportune moment for both player and club.

Also, twas indeed the day a vigorous Dale Morris spoil from behind proved too much for the hammy of barge-arse Lloydy.

Sedat
10-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Granted, but there was still some strawberry jam to be found amongst the pig shit. Some good players were still available at the picks we chose to relinquish for Rawlings, Koops, Street and Morgan. (6, 19, 20 and 35) - players of the calibre of Sam Fisher and David Mundy would be very welcome additions to our list. We also failed to understand that pick 1 in the PSD was a powerful bargaining tool (as opposed to a set of steak knives) with which to try and secure a quality out of contract player, something Ian Collins and Carlton were far more savvy and aware of by making sure Nick Stevens would fall through to the PSD and into their arms at pick 2.

Newport and Rohde were simply out of their depth in every aspect of football dept operations. The contrast is stark between how Eade/Drain/Fantasia have handled trade week post 2003 and how Newport and Rohde jumped at shadows and botched it completely in 2003.

bulldogtragic
10-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Granted, but there was still some strawberry jam to be found amongst the pig shit. Some good players were still available at the picks we chose to relinquish for Rawlings, Koops, Street and Morgan. (6, 19, 20 and 35) - players of the calibre of Sam Fisher and David Mundy would be very welcome additions to our list. We also failed to understand that pick 1 in the PSD was a powerful bargaining tool (as opposed to a set of steak knives) with which to try and secure a quality out of contract player, something Ian Collins and Carlton were far more savvy and aware of by making sure Nick Stevens would fall through to the PSD and into their arms at pick 2.

Newport and Rohde were simply out of their depth in every aspect of football dept operations. The contrast is stark between how Eade/Drain/Fantasia have handled trade week post 2003 and how Newport and Rohde jumped at shadows and botched it completely in 2003.
Exactly the point.

Add Mundy, Stevens and Fisher to our list. All hypothetical crap I know, but you would think they would have improved our team even more, a team that was five straight kicks away from a Grand Final and possible premiership.

Niether here, nor there. It's what happened, i am just glad we have seemed to learn from past mistakes and hope we never make them again.

Sockeye Salmon
10-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Granted, but there was still some strawberry jam to be found amongst the pig shit. Some good players were still available at the picks we chose to relinquish for Rawlings, Koops, Street and Morgan. (6, 19, 20 and 35) - players of the calibre of Sam Fisher and David Mundy would be very welcome additions to our list.

What makes you think Clayton would have picked them? He thought Isaac Thompson was a bargain at 50, maybe he would have taken him at 35?

Mofra
10-12-2008, 01:25 PM
What makes you think Clayton would have picked them? He thought Isaac Thompson was a bargain at 50, maybe he would have taken him at 35?
Interesting point - for the record, does anyone know who else we were looking at with this pick?
Would we still have taken Thompson is there was someone else available at 35 we rated?

azabob
10-12-2008, 01:29 PM

From memory wasnt Fisher picked in the 50's?, so really Clayton passed on Fisher anyhow.

Also we did understand that pick one in the PSD was a powerfull bargaining tool, thats why and how the Veale deal came about, so hawthorn wouldnt have traded Rawlings away. Granted it was a poor choice but at least we did something about trying to get a KP player.

Sockeye Salmon
10-12-2008, 01:37 PM
From memory wasnt Fisher picked in the 50's?, so really Clayton passed on Fisher anyhow.

Also we did understand that pick one in the PSD was a powerfull bargaining tool, thats why and how the Veale deal came about, so hawthorn wouldnt have traded Rawlings away. Granted it was a poor choice but at least we did something about trying to get a KP player.

The reason the Veale deal happened was because Hawthorn still had room to fit Rawlings into their salary cap so we weren't prepared to risk him re-signing with Hawthorn.

The Veale deal delivered Jacobs to Hawthorn taking up what was left of Hawthorn's salary cap and making it impossible for Rawlings to change his mind and stay.

Sedat
10-12-2008, 01:56 PM
By packaging up pick 1 in the PSD and pick 6 in the ND to get Rawlings, we effectively gave away pick 1 in the PSD for nothing. And the Veale Deal was not the brainchild of the Dogs - it was reputedly set up by Ian Collins, who knew we were desperate for Rawlings (actually the whole world knew we were desperate - you'd hate to have Rohde or Newport playing for your life in a hand of poker) which would allow the Blues to swoop on Stevens with pick 2 in the PSD (who we were never interested in rightly or wrongly). Carlton knew that Port wanted nothing to do with Collingwood and were happy to let Stevens go for nothing.

We got played, simple as that. Jesus even Freo played us with Koops, sprouting off rumours that Essendon were going to part with their first round pick for him, which made us blink and offer pick 19 up on a platter. As for Street, he was about to be delisted by the Cats so to give up pick 20 was ludicrously over the odds - Streeter was well worth the gamble but we could have offered anyting over pick 40 (as the papers reported earlier that week) and the Cats would have gobbled it up.. Thankfully we haven't been played like fools during trade week ever since.

azabob
10-12-2008, 02:32 PM
The reason the Veale deal happened was because Hawthorn still had room to fit Rawlings into their salary cap so we weren't prepared to risk him re-signing with Hawthorn.

The Veale deal delivered Jacobs to Hawthorn taking up what was left of Hawthorn's salary cap and making it impossible for Rawlings to change his mind and stay.

Didn't know that, wasnt part of the agreement they also wouldn't trade him to anyone else? Doesnt really matter now, as its a mute point.

Sockeye Salmon
10-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Didn't know that, wasnt part of the agreement they also wouldn't trade him to anyone else? Doesnt really matter now, as its a mute point.

They couldn't have traded him to anyone else, it was done with about a minute to spare before the trade deadline.

Dancin' Douggy
10-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Exactly the point.

Add Mundy, Stevens and Fisher to our list. All hypothetical crap I know, but you would think they would have improved our team even more, a team that was five straight kicks away from a Grand Final and possible premiership.

Niether here, nor there. It's what happened, i am just glad we have seemed to learn from past mistakes and hope we never make them again.

Not to mention the huge amounts of dough we threw at Rawlings.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Minson broke his leg that game as well.

And the Bombers had scored the first four goals of the game and we were going to go into quarter time goalless until we had a 'magic' double goal courtesy of the umpire (robbins -- i think -- scores and gets pushed and the ump gives a free kick in the goal square. Two goals for the price of one!)

Sockeye Salmon
16-12-2008, 11:30 AM
And the Bombers had scored the first four goals of the game and we were going to go into quarter time goalless until we had a 'magic' double goal courtesy of the umpire (robbins -- i think -- scores and gets pushed and the ump gives a free kick in the goal square. Two goals for the price of one!)

Fletcher on Murphy.