PDA

View Full Version : Left Footers?

GVGjr
23-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Am I missing someone or do we just have two left foot kicks in how whole squad? O'Keefe and Eagleton are the only two that I can see.

Not a big issue but the Hawks and Tigers have heaps.

The Coon Dog
23-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Ben Hudson, Wayde Skipper, Jarrod Harbrow & Malcolm Lynch are all lefties.

GVGjr
23-12-2008, 07:43 PM

How did I miss all those guys???? That is probably the right ratio then.

Twodogs
23-12-2008, 08:15 PM
I am a left footer and I am prepared to pull on the boots to even out any problems.:D

The Coon Dog
23-12-2008, 08:23 PM
How did I miss all those guys???? That is probably the right ratio then.

Easy to forget over the off season.

LostDoggy
23-12-2008, 10:32 PM
I am a left footer and I am prepared to pull on the boots to even out any problems.:D

Me too :p Well maybe not the second bit.

I think the main thing these days is having players that can kick on both sides of their body, and it seems that right footers are better at kicking on their left than lefties are on their right...although that's just something I've noticed without really looking into it.

LostDoggy
23-12-2008, 11:50 PM
Akermanis would classify as both wouldn't he? One of the best kicks in the league.

soupman
23-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Akermanis would classify as both wouldn't he? One of the best kicks in the league.

Then Gilbee would count, due to having a left foot which is better than most players prefered foot.

strebla
24-12-2008, 12:07 AM
I don't care what foot he kicked with Leon Cameron on either side was an absolute gem,he makes Gilbee and Aker look like amatuers

mjp
24-12-2008, 12:32 AM

Yeah...but Skipper and Lynch are at Willi, Harbrow would be lucky to have 10 kicks a game and Hudson lucky to have 5...

I understand the question when you think about the Hawthorn group.

Bulldog Revolution
24-12-2008, 07:37 AM
The Hawthorn group has heaps doesn't it? Hodge, Lewis, Birchall, Young, Guerra, Roughead, Franklin, Dew, Ellis, Rioli etc

And I've probably missed some

Has there been a premiership team with more lefties

Mantis
24-12-2008, 08:51 AM
I don't care what foot he kicked with Leon Cameron on either side was an absolute gem,he makes Gilbee and Aker look like amatuers

I wouldn't have thought that to be the case.

Gilbee is the best kick I have seen in Bulldog's colours. Aker over the journey has been one of the most brilliant kicks of this era.

Bulldog Revolution
24-12-2008, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't have thought that to be the case.

Gilbee is the best kick I have seen in Bulldog's colours. Aker over the journey has been one of the most brilliant kicks of this era.

Gilbees right foot is incredible, but he's not as strong on his left as so the drop off is noticable, and he actually doesn't kick on his left that much. IMO he's not as strong as Cameron was, but obviously his right foot is.

Aker is a brilliant left foot kick, and its been his left foot goal kicking that is at times absolutely breathtaking, he has kicked some all time classics on the left. And much the way Hawk used to guide them through on his left late in his career, Aker oozes class - and would not be disappointed to hear it said

LostDoggy
28-12-2008, 03:23 PM

Absolutely spot on. I remember a game out at Waverley where Leon within the space of a few minutes kicked a goal on his left and then right (or it may have been the other way round) from outside 50. Leon was also a key during our resurgence from 97, his ability to spot the man meant the we kicked more goals from our defensive 50 than anyone or anywhere else.

Although I'd be happy with Gilbee's kicking ability.

Sockeye Salmon
28-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Absolutely spot on. I remember a game out at Waverley where Leon within the space of a few minutes kicked a goal on his left and then right (or it may have been the other way round) from outside 50. Leon was also a key during our resurgence from 97, his ability to spot the man meant the we kicked more goals from our defensive 50 than anyone or anywhere else.

Of course Baker was better off both sides but Gilbee's right foot is the best I've ever seen.

Twodogs
29-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Nathan Brown was a great left foot kick on the run. Awful standing kick with either foot but his kicking on the run was just about perfect.

alwaysadog
01-01-2009, 10:30 PM

I'd kick any foot they want to get half a chance, but its nearly 50 years too late.

alwaysadog
01-01-2009, 10:38 PM

The best on both feet was the inimitable EJ. Leon kicked better on his left foot though he was a natural right footer. Gilbs is the best, consistently longer and straighter, that I have seen, though Dougie could make the ball dance to command off either foot. Nothing he couldn't do if the moment demanded.

Can't compare them or their eras. All had wonderful foot skills. Just waiting for the next mob to arrive.

Twodogs
02-01-2009, 12:42 PM
I'd kick any foot they want to get half a chance, but its nearly 50 years too late.

I'm only 44-I havent given up hope yet...

though Dougie could make the ball dance to command off either foot. Nothing he couldn't do if the moment demanded.

I'd forgotten about Douggie and what a great kick he was. That pass in the '85 semi final(I dont have to say anymore) is the best kick I have ever seen.

alwaysadog
03-01-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm only 44-I havent given up hope yet...
No more you should till your beard's as white as mine.

Twodogs
03-01-2009, 11:33 AM
No more you should till your beard's as white as mine.

I wouldnt give up hope even if I had a beard like Santa.

alwaysadog
04-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Ah, I see it in my minds eye. It’s the year 2024 and the Dogs astound the football world by taking a very mature Twodogs in the PSD.

After numerous soft tissue injuries he settles down to play some reasonable footy in bursts off the bench for Willy.

Finals arrive and the football scribes are flabbergasted when the Dogs playing in their 10th GF in the last 15 years select Twodogs on the bench. The Dogs slap a media ban on the player.

Football historians have a field day; the oldest ever debutant, the oldest ever finals player. What is the coach thinking? Has a sanity test been conducted on either or both?

But it all looks to be the working of a cunning plan when late in the last quarter with only seconds left and the Dogs 4 points down, Twodogs weaves through a pack, bouncing players of his Santa like belly and lines them up from 25 metres out.

The crowd and the TV cameras lift their gaze to watch the ball’s trajectory but it never arrives.

All eyes return to the spot where the kick was to have occurred and there they see Twodogs legs at very odd angles and his beard wrapped tightly round his left ankle.

The siren sounds.

ledge
04-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Someones taking some wierd drugs on this thread.

Twodogs
05-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Ah, I see it in my minds eye. It’s the year 2024 and the Dogs astound the football world by taking a very mature Twodogs in the PSD.

After numerous soft tissue injuries he settles down to play some reasonable footy in bursts off the bench for Willy.

Finals arrive and the football scribes are flabbergasted when the Dogs playing in their 10th GF in the last 15 years select Twodogs on the bench. The Dogs slap a media ban on the player.

Football historians have a field day; the oldest ever debutant, the oldest ever finals player. What is the coach thinking? Has a sanity test been conducted on either or both?

But it all looks to be the working of a cunning plan when late in the last quarter with only seconds left and the Dogs 4 points down, Twodogs weaves through a pack, bouncing players of his Santa like belly and lines them up from 25 metres out.

The crowd and the TV cameras lift their gaze to watch the ball’s trajectory but it never arrives.

All eyes return to the spot where the kick was to have occurred and there they see Twodogs legs at very odd angles and his beard wrapped tightly round his left ankle.

The siren sounds.

Man. That's exactly like that dream I've been having for years.