PDA

View Full Version : First gamers in 2009?

Bulldog Revolution
24-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Plenty of options on the list who could debut next season:

Stack, Grant, O'Keefe and Wood would seem to be the strongest candidates

What do people think?

How many of them will play Wizzer/Ansett who is the bloody sponsor Cup?

GVGjr
24-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Plenty of options on the list who could debut next season:

Stack, Grant, O'Keefe and Wood would seem to be the strongest candidates

What do people think?

How many of them will play Wizzer/Ansett who is the bloody sponsor Cup?

I think all bar Grant will play in the NAB cup and I'd probably add Mulligan and Picken to that list as well.
When you also add Hill, Harbrow, Ward and Reid it will be a very inexperienced squad they send to the NT.

The Coon Dog
24-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Quite a few will play NAB Cup. Rocket made it very clear that he wasn't about to compromise the AFL season by playing older players in Darwin (NAD CUP) when we play in Perth twice in the first 4 rounds of the regular season.

I think Brennan Stack will play, he was close to being selected this season but the club's early form made it almost impossible to get a look in.

Bulldog Revolution
24-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I think all bar Grant will play in the NAB cup and I'd probably add Mulligan and Picken to that list as well.
When you also add Hill, Harbrow, Ward and Reid it will be a very inexperienced squad they send to the NT.

So you think Mulligan is a chance to play senior footy in 2009

Should have had Picken on the list, foolish, foolish oversight

Do you think Lynch is also a chance to play in the NAB cup?

Bulldog Revolution
24-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Quite a few will play NAB Cup. Rocket made it very clear that he wasn't about to compromise the AFL season by playing older players in Darwin (NAD CUP) when we play in Perth twice in the first 4 rounds of the regular season.

I think Brennan Stack will play, he was close to being selected this season but the club's early form made it almost impossible to get a look in.

That is exactly the approach Rocket should be taking

Stack was a little unlucky, he strung together some good VFL form

I am hoping once his tank gets bigger he can add some speed to the midfield, but everyone seems to think deep forward or back at this stage, but I've always thought he could slice teams up through the middle a la Daniel Wells, but I dont know whether he'll ever develop that type of running ability to justify my comparisons

GVGjr
24-12-2008, 10:38 AM
So you think Mulligan is a chance to play senior footy in 2009

Should have had Picken on the list, foolish, foolish oversight

Do you think Lynch is also a chance to play in the NAB cup?

Sorry, IMO Mulligan would be in the mix just for the NAB cup.

To debut in the seniors 2009 H&A season I would just have Stack, OKeefe and Grant in that order as the most likely to debut. Wood might not get a run.

Desipura
24-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I disagree about Grant. I believe he will be given every opportunity to get a game in the NAB cup. Rocket also mentioned that he has been impressed with his attitude this pre season.

GVGjr
24-12-2008, 02:32 PM
I disagree about Grant. I believe he will be given every opportunity to get a game in the NAB cup. Rocket also mentioned that he has been impressed with his attitude this pre season.

At training he isn't running very well at all and seems underdone. There are probably some good reasons for that but he is a bit behind a number of other players at the moment.

Desipura
24-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Fair enough..........I have not been to training as yet.

GVGjr
24-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Fair enough..........I have not been to training as yet.
Don't get me wrong because I think the NAB cup games would be a great spot for him to debut but he seems a mile off a number of the other guys at the moment.
When you consider the veterans that probably won't be used there will be plenty of spots for the youngsters.

Bulldog Revolution
24-12-2008, 05:39 PM
How is Lynch moving on the track GVG?

Do you think he is in the frame for the NAB cup?

GVGjr
24-12-2008, 05:54 PM
How is Lynch moving on the track GVG?

Do you think he is in the frame for the NAB cup?

He isn't doing anything that really catches the eye but is probably better suited to match day drills than a lot of running. No reason why he wouldn't be ready but I'd have him behind a number of others at the moment. Playing up in the NT should suit him.

LostDoggy
24-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Is O'Shea ever gonna play?

GVGjr
24-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Is O'Shea ever gonna play?

Given that he was pretty much stuck in the Williamstown reserves for the last half of the seasons he must be a long way off. He hasn't been prominent in the running sessions that I have seen either. Having said that, there might be a spot for him in the NAB cup games.

Bulldog Revolution
24-12-2008, 09:11 PM
He isn't doing anything that really catches the eye but is probably better suited to match day drills than a lot of running. No reason why he wouldn't be ready but I'd have him behind a number of others at the moment. Playing up in the NT should suit him.

He was electric in patches on 07 whilst at Willy and arguably displayed more elusiveness at half forward than Harbrow, but fell of the face of the earth in 08. I see it as crucial for him to develop a good aerobic base given he is probably the lightest player on the list.

Injuries going well this will not be the easiest side to break into and Eagle, Aker and Welsh may all find themself under pressure to play every week if their form is not there

So Lynch would seem to have his work cut out for him

Given that he was pretty much stuck in the Williamstown reserves for the last half of the seasons he must be a long way off. He hasn't been prominent in the running sessions that I have seen either. Having said that, there might be a spot for him in the NAB cup games.

Paul looked pretty immature in his approach to things in 08. He's still a reasonable prospect, theres a bit to like about his aggressive approach, and he's a good athlete but he's got to develop better concentration during games and focus more on playing the footy.

Desipura
26-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Don't get me wrong because I think the NAB cup games would be a great spot for him to debut but he seems a mile of a number of the other guys at the moment.
When you consider the veterans that probably won't be used there will be plenty of spots for the youngsters.
I recall how he was going to be played in the NAB cup against Essendon then he got stung by the stingray. I would have thought he was even less developed (physically & fitness wise) last pre season. Oh well, time will tell......

Scorlibo
26-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Jarrad Grant has to play in the NAB Cup, if he doesn't I'll probably go and shoot someone. He showed this year at Willi that he is more advanced than most of the other pups purely on talent.

This would be my NAB Cup round 1 team:

B - Addison - Williams - Callan
HB - Reid - Everitt - Hargrave
C - Ward - Cross (C) - O'Keefe
HF - Hill - Boumann - Harbrow
F - Stack - Grant - Lynch
Fol - Minson - Griffen - Higgins
I - Roughead - Wood - O'Shea - Picken

GVGjr
26-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Jarrad Grant has to play in the NAB Cup, if he doesn't I'll probably go and shoot someone. He showed this year at Willi that he is more advanced than most of the other pups purely on talent.

You're not concerned that if we play him if underdone with fitness it will just expose him more to injuries? Hopefully he is just building up to the required level but at the moment he looks a long way behind a few of them.

I saw him play one very good game and one OK game and the rest he was a little down on form for the Gulls so I'm a bit reserved in what he can offer us at the moment.

Bulldog Revolution
26-12-2008, 01:35 PM

This would be my NAB Cup round 1 team:

B - Addison - Williams - Callan
HB - Reid - Everitt - Hargrave
C - Ward - Cross (C) - O'Keefe
HF - Hill - Boumann - Harbrow
F - Stack - Grant - Lynch
Fol - Minson - Griffen - Higgins
I - Roughead - Wood - O'Shea - Picken

I think you are on the right track, but its perhaps a bit too young minus Harris, Gilbee, Morris, Boyd, Johnson, Welsh, Aker, Eagle, Hahn, Hudson, Cooney, Murphy etc

I would have thought they'd look to get a few more senior players in the mix to direct traffic, but maybe Rocket will go that young.

GVGjr
26-12-2008, 01:48 PM
I think you are on the right track, but its perhaps a bit too young minus Harris, Gilbee, Morris, Boyd, Johnson, Welsh, Aker, Eagle, Hahn, Hudson, Cooney, Murphy etc

I would have thought they'd look to get a few more senior players in the mix to direct traffic, but maybe Rocket will go that young.

I actually think Lake is an unlikely starter along with Hahn, Murphy, Cooney and Hudson.

I'd be looking at Wight, Mulligan and Skipper to do some of the grunt work in the heat of the NT but guys like Stack, Reid, Ward and Picken should all be given their opportunities.

Bulldog Revolution
26-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I actually think Lake is an unlikely starter along with Hahn, Murphy, Cooney and Hudson.

I'd be looking at Wight, Mulligan and Skipper to do some of the grunt work in the heat of the NT but guys like Stack, Reid, Ward and Picken should all be given their opportunities.

I'd basically forgotten about Wight and Skipper, but the NT represents a real opportunity for them

We'd have to think that Lynch, Boumann, Grant and O'Shea are perhaps less likely to get selected and that some of Morris, Gilbee, Eagle and Welsh might play.

You'd think they'd be inclined to rest Johnson and Aker

GetDimmaBack
26-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Where's Jarrad Boumann at?
At this stage of his development, would he benefit from a run in the NAB Cup?
We can't play all of the kids at once, of course...

GVGjr
26-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Where's Jarrad Boumann at?
At this stage of his development, would he benefit from a run in the NAB Cup?
We can't play all of the kids at once, of course...

He isn't doing any contact work at the moment and I have been to a few training sessions and he has been restricted to jogging laps. I would guess that the NAB up series would be too big of a step for him at the moment.

Remember he was restricted to all but a few games for the Williamstown 2nds in 2008 so he is still a bit behind a number of other youngsters.

GetDimmaBack
26-12-2008, 10:51 PM
He isn't doing any contact work at the moment and I have been to a few training sessions and he has been restricted to jogging laps. I would guess that the NAB up series would be too big of a step for him at the moment.

Remember he was restricted to all but a few games for the Williamstown 2nds in 2008 so he is still a bit behind a number of other youngsters.

Thanks for that, G.
Haven't seen him play at all, but a few guys were getting a bit keen on him late in the season. Could he be a player, in your opinion?

GVGjr
26-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks for that, G.
Haven't seen him play at all, but a few guys were getting a bit keen on him late in the season. Could he be a player, in your opinion?

When he is playing well he looks very good but when he is quiet his body language isn't the greatest. I still think he has a fair bit to offer but he isn't ready just yet.

Scorlibo
27-12-2008, 11:53 AM
You're not concerned that if we play him if underdone with fitness it will just expose him more to injuries? Hopefully he is just building up to the required level but at the moment he looks a long way behind a few of them.

I saw him play one very good game and one OK game and the rest he was a little down on form for the Gulls so I'm a bit reserved in what he can offer us at the moment.

Unless Grant is actually unfit to the point that he may as well be injured, he should play. If he's not playing with us then he's playing with Willi and copping close to the same amount of strain.

I know he didn't set the world on fire at Willi but he kept his spot in the seniors and kicked multiple goals on most occasions, which is exactly what Welsh is doing in the AFL.

I would be very disappointed if he doesn't play NAB Cup and only time will tell whether my hope is unrealistic I guess.

Bulldog Revolution
27-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Unless Grant is actually unfit to the point that he may as well be injured, he should play. If he's not playing with us then he's playing with Willi and copping close to the same amount of strain.

I know he didn't set the world on fire at Willi but he kept his spot in the seniors and kicked multiple goals on most occasions, which is exactly what Welsh is doing in the AFL.

I would be very disappointed if he doesn't play NAB Cup and only time will tell whether my hope is unrealistic I guess.

I think I know where you are coming from Scorlibo, and my thinking is that we'd hope to have Grant play 5-10 games next year for his development

But given his injury issues, might we be better waiting, holding him back from the NAB cup and build his fitness up to the point where he is ready to debut in say round 8

Go_Dogs
27-12-2008, 05:26 PM
I think I know where you are coming from Scorlibo, and my thinking is that we'd hope to have Grant play 5-10 games next year for his development

But given his injury issues, might we be better waiting, holding him back from the NAB cup and build his fitness up to the point where he is ready to debut in say round 8

I tend to agree. Because of the nature of his injuries he'd have been managed pretty heavily, and there is no point pushing his developing body to breaking point at this stage.

I would be expecting him to certainly play a handful of games this year as a FP, but he'll be a bit player at the best for the time being, and shouldn't be expected to be the answer up forward just yet.

GVGjr
27-12-2008, 08:56 PM

I disagree on a few points.
Currently he is struggling with his running and is right at the back of the pack during any decent distance tests so he is being nursed for a reason.

The difference between Williamstown and the AFL is quite a big step and his form at Willy wasn't anything to get too excited about.

What advantage is there in playing him if he isn't going to perform? I think it could actually have an adverse effect on his confidence to finally land a senior game and to struggle through it.

I'd much prefer Bulldogs Revolutions suggestion of bringing in when he is fit and hopefully in form which will give him the best chance to play to his potential. It worked well for Ward and I think it would for Grant.

azabob
28-12-2008, 02:57 PM
IMO Reid & Wood will play more games than the others mainly cause they have both come from a non traditional football background. Another pre season they will come on leaps and bounds, as they both did during 2008 at Williamstown reserves and then in the seniors. I like the way both of them go about their footy and attack on the ball.
Unlike many on here still not convinced O'keefe and Boumann will be at the club in 2-3 yrs

Bulldog Revolution
28-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Unlike many on here still not convinced O'keefe and Boumann will be at the club in 2-3 yrs

I wonder how OKeefe and Boumanns respective progress can be reasonably compared at this stage

OKeefe played the whole season in the VFL seniors and finished top 10 in the VFL best and fairest, whilst Boumann played mainly VFL reserves level, and was up and down.

IMO OKeefe is further ahead of Wood in terms of his development.

azabob
28-12-2008, 07:24 PM
I wonder how OKeefe and Boumanns respective progress can be reasonably compared at this stage

OKeefe played the whole season in the VFL seniors and finished top 10 in the VFL best and fairest, whilst Boumann played mainly VFL reserves level, and was up and down.

IMO OKeefe is further ahead of Wood in terms of his development.

Yes O'Keefe is further in his development but I think Wood has more development left and by the end of 2008 he wasnt that far behind. I think Wood has a lot more upside.
But either way I dont mind which one gets a game first!!

Bulldog Revolution
29-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Yes O'Keefe is further in his development but I think Wood has more development left and by the end of 2008 he wasnt that far behind. I think Wood has a lot more upside.
But either way I dont mind which one gets a game first!!

Wood is perhaps more eye catching with his run and carry, but unless there is something I have missed about OKeefe I think he is going to be a very good player.

He is quick, is a very good user of the ball by foot, a goal kicker and seems to be able to find plenty of it

I'd see OKeefe being very much in line for a NAB cup opportunity.

LostDoggy
31-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Wood is perhaps more eye catching with his run and carry, but unless there is something I have missed about OKeefe I think he is going to be a very good player.

He is quick, is a very good user of the ball by foot, a goal kicker and seems to be able to find plenty of it

I'd see OKeefe being very much in line for a NAB cup opportunity.

I agree BR .

It is a no brainer we are talking about a footballer & an athlete.
Okeefe is a better footballer now & will only get better as he gets fitter Imo.