PDA

View Full Version : 2009's surprise packets

Bulldog Revolution
24-12-2008, 10:32 AM
For me 2008's biggest surprise packet was Josh Hill

Whilst not always consistent he played some super footy and was one I never saw coming. Harbrow and Tiller were super in the finals, and Harbrow was perhaps 2007's surprise packet emerging off the rookie list.

Who are next years bolters:

Is it the highly fancied Woofer Ward?

OKeefe or Reid? Grant?

Rookies Mulligan or Picken?

Mofra
25-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Tim Callan to play 22 games + finals and emerge as our no 1 small defender/BP.
He's tough, commited, courageous and willing to do anything to be an AFL footballer.
He'll be a fan favourite & one of the first picked every week by the end of the regular season.

GVGjr
25-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Tim Callan to play 22 games + finals and emerge as our no 1 small defender/BP.
He's tough, commited, courageous and willing to do anything to be an AFL footballer.
He'll be a fan favourite & one of the first picked every week by the end of the regular season.

He is a far better runner especially pace wise than I ever remembered and with his toughness in a contest he could become a very reliable player for us. We just need him to stay injury free.

azabob
25-12-2008, 10:57 PM
He is a far better runner especially pace wise than I ever remembered and with his toughness in a contest he could become a very reliable player for us. We just need him to stay injury free.

Totally agree. Both him and Addison are in our best 22 and both were sorely missed when they were out injured. Adds that extra hardness and lets the opposition know they are around.

Scorlibo
26-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Totally agree. Both him and Addison are in our best 22 and both were sorely missed when they were out injured. Adds that extra hardness and lets the opposition know they are around.

But can they both fit in the side?

I think Stack could be the surprise packet, I don't think any of us would be too surprised to see Ward play a number of games so that rules him out. I think O'Keefe is a good chance also.

Bulldog Revolution
26-12-2008, 01:37 PM

I think Stack could be the surprise packet, I don't think any of us would be too surprised to see Ward play a number of games so that rules him out. I think O'Keefe is a good chance also.

If Ward plays a few match winning quarters and Bruce 'Man Crush' McAvaney sings his praise would that be a surprise?

Scorlibo
27-12-2008, 11:57 AM
If Ward plays a few match winning quarters and Bruce 'Man Crush' McAvaney sings his praise would that be a surprise?

:p Well I wouldn't expect it but it wouldn't really be that much of a surprise either because I have pretty big hopes for Ward. 'Man Crush' is a whore anyway. ;)

Mofra
27-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Absolutely yes; DFA in the midfield, Callan as a BP

Bulldog Revolution
27-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Could Reid emerge as another big bodied midfielder?

Is he capable of playing 15 games?

What are his foot skills like?

Go_Dogs
27-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Could Reid emerge as another big bodied midfielder?

Is he capable of playing 15 games?

What are his foot skills like?

In the one game I saw him play in Adelaide I thought his foot skills were ok. He's no Gilbee, but he's no slouch either.

If his form is good and we have a few injuries, no reason why he couldn't play 10+ games. His body seems physically ready, which helps his chances.

azabob
28-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Tiller to continue on his finals form and cement a spot in the 22, but mainly as a forward from the goalsquare.

Go_Dogs
28-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Tiller to continue on his finals form and cement a spot in the 22, but mainly as a forward from the goalsquare.

Tiller is a really interesting one. He played a really good finals series, but like many others I'm not sure where his best spot is at AFL level yet. His attack on the ball and contest has always been good, and in the finals his disposal and decision making was first class.

At this stage he's looked better in defence, but I wouldn't be against him going forward as he's showed his hands are ok up there.

I hope your right about him cementing a spot, could be a pretty handy player at either end.

lemmon
29-12-2008, 02:31 AM
Ive just got a sneaky feeling about O'Shea, tough in the contest and good athleticism he maybe one to watch.

LostDoggy
29-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Ive just got a sneaky feeling about O'Shea, tough in the contest and good athleticism he maybe one to watch.

Considering he hardly ever got a williamstown game and was close to being delisted, that would be a huge surprise.

I just hope to see at least 1 tall emerge as a regular senior player.

GVGjr
29-12-2008, 09:46 AM

You would like to think that something that is missing in his game would just click in 2009 and turn him into a better more complete player but I have my doubts.

He is tough in a contest and posses a good leap but it all hinges on improving his decision making that will determine if he can take that next step. His kicking skills need a fair bit of work as well.

azabob
29-12-2008, 10:48 AM

Well from my understanding he finished the year off well in Williamstown reserves, didn't he get named best finals player?