PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Player roles and thoughts. Part 1

LostDoggy
02-01-2009, 08:51 PM
2 - Robert Murphy

Playing with a serious knee in the finals and a subsequent operation in the off season may slow down the Elastic Man's performance for the upcoming season. Murphy by default is the dogs lead up forward. He is crucial as a target for the dogs backline and midfielders as the linkman to the dogs forward 50 forays and is one of the most important players on the dogs list. I expect Murphy to be again the focal point for entries to inside 50's, unless one of the young KPP's such as Grant and Boumann can take a bit of pressure of Murph. Missing out on All Australian selection would also be a big motivation. And I look forward to his Karmic articles in the Age

3: Andrejis Everitt

After an uneven season and the inability to keep a spot in the dogs best 22 (when the dogs were desperately in need of talls), Everitt experienced the second year blues. There was so much hope and expectations that it was kind of an anti climax when Everitt did not produce the form we expected. A fit and firing Everitt can create mis matches whether playing in the backline, forward line or midfield. Look for a big one from Skinny.

4: Daniel Cross

The handballing machine and now the player we expect to be at the bottom of the packs and extract the ball for our outside midfielders. The only thing we hope Cross improves on is his kicking and the ability to become a goal kicking midfielder. When he has an OK game, he is criticized because of the lofty standards we place on him. Could be a dark horse for the Brownlow.

5: Matthew Boyd

From Rookie List to representing his country, persistence pays off for the former Frankston Reserves player. Although his disposal can be a bit dodgy, Boyd has become an important cog in the dogs supporting midfield cast. Whether as a run with player or accumulating possessions, there is an expectation that Boyd is the player Rocket turns to when an opposition midfielder needs to be tagged. And he usually does a damn good job. Perhaps the only thing Boyd needs to do is work on his disposal. He does the number 5 proud. Now all he has to do is get a nickname :)

6: Brad Johnson

The Smiling Assassin led the dogs goal kicking, but was savaged for not playing to standards that are expected of him. From reports, he has been leading the pack during pre season training. The disappointment of losing the Prelim and that missed goal against the Kangaroos wiped the smile of Johnno's face. With accusations of being selfish, Johnson will hopefully change his habits and not be as goal hungry as he seems to be, he doesn't need to work as hard as he usually needs to - he's got some help now.

7: Shaun Higgins

A player that has some trouble staying on the field. I expect him to be a very important player, when fully fit, as either a midfielder or a forward. I called him "The Assassin" when I saw him play a few games...because he never missed a set shot. However injuries have stopped him from playing a full season. Hopefully, he can stay injury free and provide another target and be an effective goal kicker for 2009.

8. Mitch Hahn.

The Tank had an unbelievable season in 2008 and played finals for the first time in his career. Hahn loves to tackle, harass and generally hurt other players, is one of the few "mongrels" the dogs have in the team. Along with Bob Murphy, Hahn is essential to the dogs backline and midfield having a target to kick to. His other specialty is keeping the ball inside the dogs forward 50. The Tank got a taste of finals football, I'm sure he'd like some more.

9: Lindsay Gilbee

The best kick in the AFL and the player who directs traffic from the backline. One pin point 50m pass from Gilbee from the backline, usually leads to a goal for the dogs. Missed out on All Australian selection and doesn't seem to get much votes as he's a backline player. Without him, the dogs would have a harder time getting the ball out from their back 50.

10: Nathan Eagleton

With his patented left foot boomerang bombs, Eagleton has managed to cement a spot in the dogs top 22. There have been questions as to why Eagleton gets a gig, he is after all a one sided player and is considered an "outside" midfielder. My argument has been, he IS an outside midfielder because that is his job. Get him the ball and with his booming left kicks, he'll either kick a goal or put someone in a position to kick a goal. He knows he's under pressure with all the young kids coming through the dogs list. Perhaps the pressure will make Eagleton play better footy - one can hope.

12: Tom Williams

The Matrix. The player the dogs are hoping will be the answer to their hopes of having a CHB to blanket players like Johnathan Brown and Buddy Franklin. Only one problem. Tom can't seem to stay on the field. When he's playing he looks like he can play a bit of footy. The trouble is keeping him on the field! He has proved, that if he can't find a match up in the backline, he knows his way around the forward line. Great speed and if Rocket decided to play around, can perhaps put him in a Matthew Richardson "role" of playing wherever he likes.

13: Daniel Giansiracusa.

Guido is a vastly underrated player for the dogs. He seems to pop up during the games as a linkman in the forward 50. Opposition coaches sometimes forget about Guido because they're busy trying to contain Johnson and co and he slips under the radar. He kicked 33 goals in 2008, splitting time in the midfield and forward 50. If the dogs ever had a "sixth" man award like in basketball, Guido would win it every year. Perhaps with the emergence of some young players, he can be a permanent forward. Wherever he plays, he's a very valuable member of the team and is in the leadership group.

14: Callan Ward.

This kid can play. Simple as that. From the few games I saw of him, he knows where to be to kick goals and LOVES the contest, doesn't take his eyes off the ball and should have had a say in the Rising Star award. With highschool finished, he can concentrate on becoming a professional football player, can't wait to see him play again. And I DO hope he brings his sisters to the games : )

15: Ben Hudson.

A great pick up for the dogs as their number 1 ruckman. Had a great first half of the season, but like the rest of the dogs, was down during the second half. Although his tap work isn't spectacular, the contests and second efforts are what we expect of Hudson. Although with his age, he only has another couple of seasons in him, I"m sure he'd love to retire with a premiership.

16: Ryan Griffen

The Dogs are hoping that the Griffen will finally be able to play 4 quarters of good footy. His fitness isn't as good as Daniel Cross's (well actually NO one has the engine that Cross has) and Rocket has used him in bursts. The one thing I hope to see regularly in 2009, is Griffen balking around someone, breaking a few tackles, going for a 4 bounce run from the backline and drilling the goal from outside 50. Brownlow Medal anyone?

17: Adam Cooney

The Reigning Brownlow medalist and 2008 All Australian and the dogs premier midfielder. Cooney is one of those rare goal kicking midfielders who also accumulates possessions. The only thing Cooney has to work is the defensive side of his game, there have been cases of unaccountability. To use a quote from a mate of mine "He only plays one way footy".

18: Brennan Stack

I can't really comment on Brennan, because he hasn't made his debut for the dogs. If actually plays a game for them, it would be the biggest thing he's done for the dogs since he was drafted.

20: Josh Hill

One of the great improver's for 2008. Can take a contested mark and can kick set shot goals most of the time. Loves to take a mark and plays the wing position like he's done it all his life. I'm hoping he becomes a permanent member of the top 22, exciting player and one day WILL take mark of the year.

21: Jason Akermanis

Aker had an awesome first half of the season, I just look on in amazement at the goals he can kick from the boundary line and booming kicks he performs with his left foot. I don't care if he talks too much, just as long as he kicks the goals from the boundary line and helps the dogs win. Hit the mute button if you don't like him yapping. Is scheduled to play his 300th in 2009, I'm sure he'll make it a season to remember.

22: Dylan Addison

One of the dogs other "mongrel" players. Loves to tackle and contest. Was devastating to see him injure his knee and miss out on finals footy. I'm sure he'll be fighting hard for a spot. Probably his disposal and decision making are the only things he can really work on. His hunger for the contest and defensive side to his game needs no further work.

24: Jarrad Grant

The dogs great white hope for a KPP forward player. Has not made his debut and hopefull will have a few games in 2009, to see if he can actually.......well..play!

25: Ryan Hargrave

Ryan has had to punch above his height and weight for a few years and when he's played on the third option up forward, he has murdered the opposition. He loves to run, is accountable to his player and makes good decisions. If Williams fills the CHB position, Hargrave might be tempted to sneak up forward and kick a few goals on the run. His trademark being the on the run goal 45 degree angle goals :)

26: Sam Reid

Played one game and in the wet in Adelaide. There were quite a few opinions on what kind of skills Reid had after that one game. I'm not prepared to make any judgments until I get to see him play some more footy.

27: Will Minson

Big Willy Minson was used by Rocket as a tall forward target and in the ruck. He did okay in both roles. Although I was very nervous when he had set shots for goal from 30m right in front. He seems to have the habit of kicking goals from acute angles, but miss the easy ones. The goal to draw with the Tigers would have given him a lot of confidence in goal kicking. Let's just hope he gains enough to start kicking the easy ones.

28: Scott Welsh

Another recycled player picked up that made a helluva difference. Probably takes on the oppositions best medium sized defender and whatever role Rocket gives him, does it well.
There have been questions raised that Welsh can't play any other positions except full forward and is under pressure to keep his spot with youth waiting in the side. I'd say it's a win win situation. There's nothing better than an in form Scott Welsh who needs to perform or he's out.

29: Easton Wood

Can't comment, as I haven't seen him play.

32: Jarrad Boumann

Plenty of hype on the young fella, but haven't seen him play.

33: Tim Callan.

Probably the dogs best pick up from the drafting process of 2007. Has that bit of mongrel the dogs need from a backline player and the dogs backline struggled with him out due to a bad hamstring tear. Loves the contest, tackling, makes the right decisions and has good skills. Faces pressure from Dylan Addison, as both play similar games.

34: Wayde Skipper

What can you say about Skipper? Was given a one year extension and is now in a glass cabinet labeled "Break in case of emergency".

35: Stephen Tiller

Was practically lynched after a couple of poor games but bounced back in the finals game against Sydney. Let's hope he can build on the experience. The main knock against Tiller was his poor decision making, which is not good when he plays in the backline. Turnovers in the back 50 leads to oppositions goals..that should be on a noticeboard next to Tiller's locker. Probably a fringe player, although he can play either as a leading forward or a backline player, so Rocket has that option ready for him at his disposal.

36: Brian Lake

The dogs fullback and probably most important player in terms of structure. He's the gorilla, Rocket would put on the opposition gorilla. There have been calls for Lake to go forward (and he does sometimes like to have a bit of a run and kick a goal :p) but I reckon his best spot is at fullback, he never gives up on a contest and I"ve seen so many games where he's stopped goals by touch the ball before it went through for a goal.

37: Cameron Wight.

I think it's safe to say if Wight ever plays in the top 22 again, he'll be the number one scape goat, next to Eagleton if the team loses. Wight has what the dogs needs, height, the ability to play multiple positions, it's just he's built like a rolled up cigarette. He had a good first half of the season and was made scape goat after that heartbreaking loss to the Kangaroo - after all his direct opponent Petrie kicked a few goals on him.

38: Dale Morris

The Glove is the dogs best defender. From the rookie list to All Australian, for all the dogs rookies, he is the prime example of "anything can happen" if you put your mind to it. I sometimes watch his debut game (Chris Grant's 300th) and was honored to see the beginning of this young man's career. My favourite player and to quote Gerard Healey - he's the total opposite of being the X factor. He's the Y factor, you'll know exactly what you'll get with Dale Morris, you'd go to war with him. If Tom Williams takes on the second gorilla of the opposition team, then whoever Morris plays on, will start to get that queasy feeling when he sees The Glove start walking in his direction. Did I mention he's my favourite player? :) The only thing he probably needs to work on is having the confidence to go for a run from the backline when the opportunity presents it self. Make the forward player he plays on be accountable.

The post is too long, so I've had to make this a two parter - I'm sure Quentin Tarantino would be proud

LostDoggy
02-01-2009, 08:52 PM
PART 2

39: Malcolm Lynch

For a player who promised so much after we saw him in a pre season game, Lynch has practically fallen off the face of the dogs earth. Last I heard, he was training with his brother in Darwin. Here's hoping he makes an impact for the dogs in 2009

40:

Jarrod Harbrow

Harbrow has entrenched himself in the 22 as a clever crumbing forward who loves to tackle. Has great confidence in taking on his man and manufactures goals, most of the time against the run of play. The one knock I can see about Harbrow is the ability to finish off his tackles. It's great with his kamikaze attempts at tackles but they don't STICK. Once he gets Aker to train him in sticking the tackle, then Harbrow will be a very dangerous forward who can keep the footy in the dogs forward 50 and cause turnovers and generally be a pest to the opposition's backmen.

44: Paul O' Shea

Paul has what the dogs require, a tall presence in the backline or forward line. Then why is he playing for Williamstown reserves? Can't comment much as I haven't seen him play.
But with another KPP draftee in Liam Jones, O'Shea faces an even bigger task of ever playing senior footy.

49: Ayce Cordy

I say it's safe that Cordy's nickname will be "The Doctor" :) With Hudson having probalby a couple of more seaons in him, Cordy has a few seasons to build on his light frame and step in as Will Minson's ruck partner when Hudson retires. Perhaps if one of the other rucks can step up, Cordy can permanently be a full forward the dogs have been searching for, since Chris Grant retired. Can't wait to see him in action.

BTW: Happy New Year to all :) And may this year be the YEAR OF THE DOGS!

BulldogBelle
03-01-2009, 01:28 AM
DexterT, What a thorough report on our players - thank you for taking the time out to compile it all. After reading all of that, I just want the season to start and see them all out there.

Well done, you have done a great job!

Stevo
03-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Dexter both you and Swoop have really gone to a lot of effort on some threads over the last couple of days and I really appreciate it.

To me the improvement the Dogs have to make come from some of the younger and even fringe players.

I'd start with Hill who must just add a defensive side to his game to become a very important player.

Tiller just needs to add more strength to his frame and working on his kicking skills and he would be a great back up option at both ends of the ground. We need versatile players like him.

I know many won't agree but a fit Wayde Skipper is important to us. With little depth in the rucking positions we cannot afford Skipper to be underdone too much through the season.

I'm not sure why I am selecting Everitt because we do have plenty of defensive options but we do know that if he can regain the poise he displayed in his first season he will add a lot of class to our side.

I'd hate to see Ward go through the same 2nd year blues that Everitt experienced because if he can add 10 games more in 2009 he will really be ready to blossom into a fine player in 2010.

LostDoggy
03-01-2009, 01:44 AM
To me the improvement the Dogs have to make come from some of the younger and even fringe players.

This is where the focus will be centred this year improvement from our younger brigade to develop more depth in the side. The aim is to have everyone knocking that door down to get into the side.

DT, I don't come in here often although this report you have put up is one of the best I have read & will print it up to show a mate. Kudos to you.

All Bark no Bite
03-01-2009, 01:59 AM
9: Lindsay Gilbee

The best kick in the AFL and the player who directs traffic from the backline. One pin point 50m pass from Gilbee from the backline, usually leads to a goal for the dogs. Missed out on All Australian selection and doesn't seem to get much votes as he's a backline player. Without him, the dogs would have a harder time getting the ball out from their back 50.

Gilbee is so important to the side his pinpoint accuracy in his kicking makes my hair stand on end.

Thanks for the summary DexterT.

Dogs 24/7
03-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Good stuff Dex.
Having a browse over the list I still wonder if we are missing one experienced tall ?
We have a bunch of promising youngsters but a number of them are not ready made players at the moment. Guys like OShea Grant and Boumann are possibly not ready for many senior games and of course there is the draftees in Cordy, Roughead and Jones plus the tall rookies in Shaw and Mulligan. We have enough height but they are very inexperienced.
The pressure is right on the inexperienced duo of Everitt and Williams to play a lot of football this year.
We wouldn't need many injuries to once again see Morris and Hargrave playing as key defenders and Johnson and Murphy as the key forward. Any chance a guy like Shaw could be played as a key defender ? Does he have the mobility and the ability ?

strebla
03-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Exellent Dexter great read

mjp
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Good stuff Dex.
Having a browse over the list I still wonder if we are missing one experienced tall ?

I agree to an extent, but what more could the club have done but draft 3 talls?

I am more concerned about the quality of our running players - beyond Cooney, Griffen and Gilbee from half-back, we dont have too many players who can scare the opposition with their run/carry and kicking skills...this is the main reason the failure of Ray to build on 2006 has been so disappointing.

Cross, Boyd, Addison, Callan etc...good hard triers. You need them in every team, but if I was coaching against us, having Callan or Addison running / bouncing out of the backline would be an ideal situation.

Everitt needs to find his mojo, Reid and Ward need to improve - and quick - and Higgins and Gia need to get out of that forward line and start taking a turn at the wheel.

GVGjr
04-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I agree to an extent, but what more could the club have done but draft 3 talls?

I am more concerned about the quality of our running players - beyond Cooney, Griffen and Gilbee from half-back, we dont have too many players who can scare the opposition with their run/carry and kicking skills...this is the main reason the failure of Ray to build on 2006 has been so disappointing.

Cross, Boyd, Addison, Callan etc...good hard triers. You need them in every team, but if I was coaching against us, having Callan or Addison running / bouncing out of the backline would be an ideal situation.

Everitt needs to find his mojo, Reid and Ward need to improve - and quick - and Higgins and Gia need to get out of that forward line and start taking a turn at the wheel.

All good points. I'm confident that Higgins and Giansiracusa will spend more time in the middle but I don't think we can place too much expectations on Reid and Ward just yet. Reid isn't the most skillful of players by foot either and could very well be lumped into the Cross and Boyd category.
It will be interesting to see what position Everitt is used this season. At 193cm it would be tempting to see if he could play on the oppositions 3rd tall forward where hopefully he can use his running and kicking skills to full effect and create some drive for us.

Regarding Cooney, Griffen and Gilbee run and kicking skills I'm wondering if we should add Hargrave to that group? I think is long kicking occasionally slips under the radar and he does posses an excellent turn of speed. If he can be played as a HBF or even as a winger at times he could set things up for the side.
Hopefully if Hill improves his kicking a bit he can also be added to that list.

Regarding drafting 3 talls, I guess the problem is that we should have bitten the bullet a few season ago so that we could have at least one more tall coming into his 3rd or 4th season who would be capable of pressuring a few of the established guys.
Lets hope that Mulligan and Shaw take a big step this year.