PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Hargrave

LostDoggy
05-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I think there has been a thread for every player that has exceeded people's expectations this year, yet as I seach the forum I cannot see this guy's name anywhere?

He has definately exceeded my expectations as I really believed he was on his way out just before rocket arrived

I have been a vocal critic of this guy since day one, I have been overheard saying the likes of

"He could not give two hoots"

"look at him marking the f***** spot, could not care less that he's had a mark taken on him"

"Jesus, shag, lift those shoulders, raise your head, look interested, FFS!!!

I really didn't think he had the intensity and concentration to play AFL. I could tell straight off that he was a very good footballer, he had a very good kick on him and seemed to read the play well going forward, but he was beaten far too often and would turn the ball over constantly.

This year he's had a blinder and I am more than happy to be proved wrong. He showed a determination that I didn't think was in him, he was rarely spanked and when given the opportunity to play on his own size, he dominated.

His disposal and more importantly his decision making have improved drastically, he seems to be able to concentrate for longer periods and make fewer mistakes when he has the ball deep in defence. He knows when to run forward and has been seen one more than a few occasions shooting for goal on the run.

He has punched above his weight quite a bit and doing that means finding new and creative ways of beating your opponent, his spoiling has improved markedly and I believe along with Morris to be the cleanest in terms of spoiling and defending. This was not always the case, Shag was a very lazy footballer early on and therefore he got done for over the shoulder and in the back quite a bit.

When Tom Williams manages to get on the park is when we really get to see how much both Shag and Morris have come along, players like Medhurst didn't get a sniff on these two boys when we had the taller guys covered.

I really think that Shag has been a dark horse this year and hasn't recieved much fan fare, I don't give it out praise like this unless it's thoroughly deserved, I believe Ryan has deserved it for what has been a very strong and unassuming year!

What are other people's thoughts on the year Shag had?

Where do you see further improvement coming from?

GVGjr
05-01-2009, 04:12 PM
I really rate him as a good player for us. I'll write a bit more about him later. He's only problem is giving up too many free kicks but that is often because he was battling out of his weight division.

bulldogtragic
05-01-2009, 04:26 PM
I really rate him as a good player for us. I'll write a bit more about him later. He's only problem is giving up too many free kicks but that is often because he was battling out of his weight division.
I have always liked him. My issue was putting him on Gorilla forwards week in and week out and criticsing him for being beaten in games or giving away too many frees. Tommy will be a gem, but the best part of Tommy staying fit and in form with Andrejs too, is that we can use Hargy is a more attacking way. I think he would be a brilliant winger, much like in the role that Farren played running lines and so on (given he doesn't have Faz pace), but his ability to run and kick goals from 50 is very good, his aerobic capacity is good and his kicking and pressure is good. Once we can use him in a more attacking more frequently we will see how good he is.

If Lake, Andrejs and Tommy can stay fit and in form, Callan, Morris, DFA can hold the back six with Hargy and Gilbee rotating through and use more 'attackingly'. This is where improvement will come from I think.

ledge
05-01-2009, 05:00 PM
If we get Tommy on the ground and maybe Everitt down there i think you will see Shaggy really show he is good, he just needs help.

bornadog
05-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Had a great 2008 and kicked some lovely goals on the run from outside 50. Must not be played on players bigger than him. I think he will continue his form in 2009.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Fully agree Shaggy has been a rock down the back 6 and never gives up. Yes he is always fighting above his weight and I think he would be an assist of the 1/2 back line and not on the wing. i would love Gilbee off the wing as Shaggy could play with freedom of half back if we had the others locking down their opponents, How offed has he put his forward to the sword and run off and kicked goals.

I agree that 2009 will be better than the last two very good years from his point of view.

bulldog
05-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Shaggy has been great in the last few years for us very dependale in my book love us runs down the ground and also i have had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of years ago and he is just a good guy

The Coon Dog
05-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Good post TAMA.

I've thought for way too long that Shaggy hasn't been helped having yo player on players much taller than himself.

If he plays on a players about the same height he's fine, still a little prone to the odd free kick for chopping of the arms or hands in the back.

If he backs himself to run he's a pretty potent attacking weapon.

The key to Shaggy is Tom Williams getting & staying fit.

Go_Dogs
05-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Good thread. He had a very consistent season.

It could be time to release Hargrave to a more attacking role now, with quite a few dour guys down back and our need for some more run. If we can get another tall or two down back, Hargrave should have more license to run and carry.

strebla
05-01-2009, 11:42 PM
I too think it all started late in 2006 and he has steadily improved since but then again i am a big fan

LostDoggy
07-01-2009, 11:37 AM
In the end the Shagster will play over two hundred games...no-one survives that long not being able to play, IMO whilst not a standout for the club he delivers week after week. I have always been a fan and love his attacking play off half back, would be great to have him freed up to play that attacking style more often.

LostDoggy
07-01-2009, 02:38 PM
would be great to have him freed up to play that attacking style more often.

It all rides on the fitness of Tom Williams. If Tommy can get on the park and free up some space, we have the likes of Callan, Addison and now Tiller to do a job down back which can hopefully open the door to Hargrave using his reading of the game to use further up the ground. He is the most likely out of our defenders to be used in a more attacking position.