PDA

View Full Version : Our greatest South Aussie?

Mofra
05-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I'll admit I don't have the elephant like memory of a few of the Bulldog encyclopedias who post here, so I'll have to leave it up to the expects for some of the more historical mentions.

Who would be collectively some of our greatest players ever to coem from South Australia?

Obvously Luke Darcy get a mention, I was a big Tony McGuinness fan some time back (he gave me a scrapbook to do my first ever project in primary school, via some old bloke named Jack Collins).
Cooney's brownlow means that despite his young age he should sit comfortably amongst anyone worth a mention.

Have I missed some really obvious ones?

LostDoggy
05-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Sam Phillipou?
Seriously not sure

GVGjr
05-01-2009, 10:33 PM
I'll admit I don't have the elephant like memory of a few of the Bulldog encyclopedias who post here, so I'll have to leave it up to the expects for some of the more historical mentions.

Who would be collectively some of our greatest players ever to coem from South Australia?

Obvously Luke Darcy get a mention, I was a big Tony McGuinness fan some time back (he gave me a scrapbook to do my first ever project in primary school, via some old bloke named Jack Collins).
Cooney's brownlow means that despite his young age he should sit comfortably amongst anyone worth a mention.

Have I missed some really obvious ones?

We have missed out on a lot of good guys from SA over the years but I thought McGuinness was as a terrific player for us. His long kicking, exceptional work ethic and pace was a real bonus.

The Coon Dog
05-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Have to be Darcy or McGuinness for mine.

Just trying to get my thinking cap on & remember other reasonable Croweaters we had; Ray Huppatz, Richard Cousins, Kym Koster, Neil Sasche (if he didn't get so severely injured),

Of the current crop we have Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen, Nathan Eagleton, Brian Lake, Stephen Tiller & Scott Welsh.

Honourable mentions to Sam Phillipou, Scott Bassett, Matthew Dent, Simon Cox, Phil Maylin, John Riley & Robbert Klomp & Cam Faulkner.

BulldogBelle
05-01-2009, 10:56 PM
We have missed out on a lot of good guys from SA over the years but I thought McGuinness was as a terrific player for us. His long kicking, exceptional work ethic and pace was a real bonus.

I recall Simon Tregenza was about to come our way but stayed back in SA to join the newly formed Crows at the time.

McGuinness was awesome to watch.

strebla
05-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Tony McGuiness for mine great footballer and great bloke. I recall asking him him with about six rounds to go if he was going to leave he spoke for nearly half an hour about why he would leave and how hard it would be!!!!

Desipura
06-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Shannon Corcoran, NO MORE BETS!

Twodogs
06-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Ray Huppatz was an out and out gun.

Tony MacGuinness has the lot, pace, skill and leadership.

Cooney is just Cooney and is brilliant.

I've got a feeling that Griffen will top them all.

bornadog
06-01-2009, 01:55 PM
1. David Darcy and Luke Darcy - over a long period
2. Tony McGuiness - didn't play enough games for us, but a star
3. Ray Huppatz - again not enough games, but great player
4. Cooney and Griffen - may well end up as the greatest

The Coon Dog
06-01-2009, 01:58 PM
1. David Darcy and Luke Darcy - over a long period
2. Tony McGuiness - didn't play enough games for us, but a star
3. Ray Huppatz - again not enough games, but great player
4. Cooney and Griffen - may well end up as the greatest

David Darcy is a Victorian, originally from Sunshine.

alwaysadog
06-01-2009, 07:23 PM
"Freddy" McGuiness, now that boy could kick.

Mofra
06-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Shannon Corcoran, NO MORE BETS!
I liked him as a player, perhaps a little light. No 11 was he (am I thinking of the same bloke?)

BulldogBelle
06-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Russell Shields #10 Came from Central Districts / Hawthorn as a handy half forward flanker with potential also wore number 16.

ledge
06-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Shannon Corcoran from what I remember only had one side and was a wimp.

The Coon Dog
06-01-2009, 11:05 PM

Why was he a wimp? That type of comment disappoints me somewhat on WOOF.

mighty_west
06-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Russell Shields #10 Came from Central Districts / Hawthorn as a handy half forward flanker with potential also wore number 16.

I remember the game he kicked 5 against Hawthorn at VFL Park, thought he was going to be a gun.

bornadog
06-01-2009, 11:52 PM
David Darcy is a Victorian, originally from Sunshine.

Then unofficially so is Luke:D

Desipura
07-01-2009, 09:07 AM
I don't know of any one player who can be classified as a wimp having played VFL/AFL.

Sockeye Salmon
07-01-2009, 09:52 AM
I don't know of any one player who can be classified as a wimp having played VFL/AFL.

Alex Marcou says Hi

Twodogs
07-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Alex Marcou says Hi

Played in a few more premierships than any of our guys in the last 50 years.

Sockeye Salmon
07-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Played in a few more premierships than any of our guys in the last 50 years.

Doesn't mean he didn't sleep with the light on.

All being a premiership player means is that you played in the same team as a whole bunch of good players.

If you want a Bulldog player who was genuinely scared to be out there, I'll give you a name - Alan Thorpe.

Desipura
07-01-2009, 02:51 PM

All being a premiership player means is that you played in the same team as a whole bunch of good players.

If you want a Bulldog player who was genuinely scared to be out there, I'll give you a name - Alan Thorpe.
Maybe in your eyes, did not appear that way to me. Carlton also did not think so.

azabob
07-01-2009, 05:14 PM

Speaking of talented forward pockets / half forward flanks who maybe didnt go in hard enough do you remember Scott Allen, he was around early to mid 90's i think. not south australian though, from southern vic though?>

Rocket Science
07-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Oddly enough, Scott Allen was the spitting image of a bloke who never shirked an issue: Whiskas Hocking...That said, the kid barely played enough damn footy to be fairly adjudged a jib, a hard-nut, or otherwise.

Shannon Corcoran played a year of footy at my secondary school after being drafted...he was no raging bull, but could hardly be called a wimp...just wan't his go.

You don't use a Ferrari, or perhaps in his case a Mazda RX7, to do the work of a ute.

Mantis
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Speaking of talented forward pockets / half forward flanks who maybe didnt go in hard enough do you remember Scott Allen, he was around early to mid 90's i think. not south australian though, from southern vic though?>

He was from Portarlington down on the Bellarine Peninsula. I watched him a fair bit in the year he was drafted as my grandfather lived in Port and we would watch a fair few of the games with him (after golf of course).

ledge
07-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Why was he a wimp? That type of comment disappoints me somewhat on WOOF.

Sorry CD just what my thoughts were of him at the time, not a big build and never saw a him get a hard ball, maybe it was because of his build.

The Coon Dog
07-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Sorry CD just what my thoughts were of him at the time, not a big build and never saw a him get a hard ball, maybe it was because of his build.

Didn't mean he was a wimp.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-01-2009, 08:48 PM
#1 - Tony McGuiness
#2 - Darcy
#3 - Coon
#4 - Griff
In five years time just flip it over,

Was Ian Williams from SA, I remember him coming from ????? and thought he had the best left & right foot skills going around.

ledge
07-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Didn't mean he was a wimp.

Well i thought he was.:p

LostDoggy
07-01-2009, 08:50 PM
#

Was Ian Williams from SA, I remember him coming from ????? and thought he had the best left & right foot skills going around.

The racoon was from WA...beautiful skills.

Desipura
07-01-2009, 09:48 PM
A receiver is what I and many others used to call them, Craig Bradley was often described in this way especially early in his career. The term "receiver" was an insult in those days in the early 80s. He just played to his strengths, by the end of his career, he was one of the best receivers going around. (I mean that in a complimentary way)

Furthermore, if you are not getting alot of kicks and hurting the opposition with your disposals, supporters tend to dwell on the negatives and label these type of players "soft"

Allan "shorty" Daniels was another player in this category. I can recall in his 1st year he hardly ever had an opponent and would often get kicks out on his own. This may explain why I hardly ever saw him lay a tackle.
He was soon found out and from then on struggled only to see him go back to WA as quickly as he had arrived.

strebla
08-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Is Fish Creek in SA Barry Stanfield would have to make our starting 18 from SA.

Sockeye Salmon
08-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Is Fish Creek in SA Barry Satanfield would have to make our starting 18 from SA

Fish Creek is in Gippsland.

ledge
08-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I would have thought Ian Sockeye Salmon would come from a place like Fish Creek.

Bulldog Revolution
09-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Well i thought he was.:p

You are doubtlessly entitled to your opinion Ledge

It is however interesting that both Brisbane and Sydney had Corcoran on their lists after us, suggesting he had a fair bit of ability

McGuinness played some super footy for us

Darcy was a force of the competition before being cruelly cut down by injury

GetDimmaBack
10-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Another from SA is Big Will.

We've had a few in recent years, haven't we?

I recall Ray Huppatz taking out Bones McGhie in a practice match at Whitten Oval, about 1974. Bones was with Richmond at that stage, and maybe one of the toughest & meanest of his time.
Huppatz cleaned him up. Bones took a long time to get up...a very long time.

Little Ray wore number 7, too. Boy, we've had some hard nuts wear that number.

MikeSheahan
10-01-2009, 11:54 PM
For me, it has to be Luke Darcy. One club player, and should've won the Brownlow in which year was it again? 03 or so? McGuinness and Huppatz also brilliant players but time spent with other clubs, takes the shine off it. Also completely agree that certainly Cooney, and possibly Griffin could go past all of them.

Twodogs
12-01-2009, 01:24 PM
The racoon was from WA...beautiful skills.

Port Hedland IIRC.

Kicked the winning goal at Moorrabin in '83 after we'd been 39 points down at 3/4 time.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Remember it well Two Dogs. Close to the boudary on his wrong side. My brother was at the game too but stopped watching because he thouhgt we were gone. But Williams late, slow tumbling punt split the middle.

strebla
12-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Port Hedland IIRC.

Kicked the winning goal at Moorrabin in '83 after we'd been 39 points down at 3/4 time.

Was that the game where Plugger could not kick a goal to save himself ?

The Coon Dog
12-01-2009, 06:19 PM

Yeah, from memory he only kicked 1 goal.

mighty_west
12-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Remember it well Two Dogs. Close to the boudary on his wrong side. My brother was at the game too but stopped watching because he thouhgt we were gone. But Williams late, slow tumbling punt split the middle.

Actually it didn't quite split the middle, was awefully close to the left hand goal post, Barker went off his nut claiming it did hit the post, but was a nice pass from Magic to Williams.

The goal before that was even uglier from Hansen, about 40 out right in front and wobbled in the air on it's way through.

craigsahibee
14-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Was Mark West from SA via the NT? Definitely didn't get enough games out of him. Showed us his talents in '97 but injuries and suspensions curtailed his natural game.

Twodogs
14-01-2009, 12:39 PM

It was 1983 and IIRC it was Plugger's first VFL game.

Twodogs
14-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Actually it didn't quite split the middle, was awefully close to the left hand goal post, Barker went off his nut claiming it did hit the post, but was a nice pass from Magic to Williams.

The goal before that was even uglier from Hansen, about 40 out right in front and wobbled in the air on it's way through.

I remember a story about the game before the St Kilda game. We'd started the season in a blaze of glory before falling away. Come R20 we were in an impossible position against Fitzroy at home at half time-5 odd goals down and kicking into a gale in the third quarter. The sponsor Eastcoast jeans had promised the players $21,000 for their end of season trip if they won the last three games.

Apparantly at half time the guy from Eastcoast walked into the room and emptied a brown paper bag with the 21 large onto a massage table and said "there you go boys, that's what it looks like and it's what you're giving up with this crap performance" We were in front by 3/4 time...:D