PDA

View Full Version : Elliot can't keep his trap shut

bornadog
12-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Three teams under threat, says Elliott
Paul Millar | January 12, 2009

THE AFL's expansion plans for west Sydney look doomed to fail, while the long-term future of North Melbourne, the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne is under a cloud, according to former Carlton chairman John Elliott.

He said that subsidies to the three clubs could dry up in tough economic times and they would have to seriously consider their options.

"If we are right in speculating that the next lot of TV rights might go down a bit, then the money floating around for clubs to be subsidised will disappear," he said on 3AW.

Elliott, who was president of the Blues for 20 years, questioned the AFL's expansion policy but said it was clear that there were too many teams in Melbourne, especially in a struggling economy.

"I do think the Gold Coast will work, but I'm terribly worried about west Sydney. Nobody is interested in the game out there, they are just not interested in it," he said.

Elliott said it would cost the AFL millions to promote the game in rugby league's heartland in west Sydney, while the Tasmanian Government was prepared to underwrite moving a side there.

"Tasmania is keen to get a team in the AFL," he said.

He believed the AFL wanted a continued presence in Melbourne's west and that ruled out the Bulldogs moving to Tasmania.

"One of these three clubs will have to go down to Tassie. I do not think it would be the Bulldogs and I think it would be very difficult to rout Melbourne out of Melbourne, so it does appear to me that it will eventually be North Melbourne," he said.

bornadog
12-01-2009, 07:29 PM
and the press are stupid enough to print it.

ledge
12-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey for once he said we were safe, print it I say, its very rare if its ever happened before!

Dry Rot
12-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Elliott is a piece of walking excrement, but he might be right about this:

"If we are right in speculating that the next lot of TV rights might go down a bit, then the money floating around for clubs to be subsidised will disappear," he said on 3AW.

Channel 9 is rooted, Channel 7 pretty sick and Channel 10 very unwell, all before the coming nasty recession will really hit their revenues.

It's difficult to see the next rights deal being anywhere near the amount of this current one.

ledge
12-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Unless Foxtel take it all.

bulldogtragic
12-01-2009, 09:35 PM
WINNER!

There you go. The last piece of the puzzle for the AFL to go fully corporate. Good chance I reckon.

Dry Rot
12-01-2009, 09:41 PM

WINNER!

There you go. The last piece of the puzzle for the AFL to go fully corporate. Good chance I reckon.

Overlooking the anti-syphoning laws for a moment, why would Foxtel pay much for it?

The current and previous deals were the results of a serious bidding war, the next deal will not be.

LostDoggy
13-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Whilst I don't like Elliot, I did hear this segment on the radio, and thought that he was logical & constructive in his comments (first time ever).

He mentioned the reliance of monies from the AFL to keep the 3 nominated clubs afloat; however he eliminated the Bulldogs from being moved Interstate or folding - supporting the need for the club to represent the interests of the West. The first time I've ever heard him say something positive about the dogs.

He did suggest the Demons were the most prone to be moved to Tassie (with it's part time members and snow bunnies), but thought it wouldn't happen - moving a team named after the football capital.
Which leaves North melbourne - strong at the moment with the Brayshaw momentum, but then ......

He doesn't like the idiots that almost sent Carlton broke (after he was moved on) - one being Smorgon of the Carlton breed - but was very complimentary towards the Smorgon of the Bulldog kind.

H

MrMahatma
13-01-2009, 04:49 AM
He’s not far off the mark I think – which just shows we need to get the stadium deal fixed sooner rather than later. Once that’s sorted we won’t need the subsidies.

craigsahibee
13-01-2009, 01:20 PM
And the relevance of John Elliott is???????

"Mistah Elliott he W@nker" to borrow a line from TISM.

LostDoggy
13-01-2009, 03:15 PM
I agree - bring back Fox Footy..24/7 Footy = Happiness for me

LostDoggy
13-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Most of what he said is spot on about GC , WS18 and Tassie. Eventually VIctorian teams are going to fold. Like it or not.

bornadog
13-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Most of what he said is spot on about GC , WS18 and Tassie. Eventually VIctorian teams are going to fold. Like it or not.

Any suggestions which clubs will go first?

Twodogs
14-01-2009, 12:52 PM
And the relevance of John Elliott is???????

"Mistah Elliott he W@nker" to borrow a line from TISM.

They were talking about T.S. Elliot but the sentiment remains the same.

Twodogs
14-01-2009, 12:54 PM

We've heard it all before Jerry. Theyve tried to do it before and failed.

It's a fallacy that only interstaters who dont truly understand the culture of football in Victoria and idiots with a barrow to push like Elliot that Melbourne cant support 9 teams.

ledge
14-01-2009, 01:02 PM
If the AFL did the right thing and didnt shaft teams with stupid stadium deals and made it even it wouldnt be such a struggle for anyone.

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 08:46 PM
We've heard it all before Jerry. Theyve tried to do it before and failed.

It's a fallacy that only interstaters who dont truly understand the culture of football in Victoria and idiots with a barrow to push like Elliot that Melbourne cant support 9 teams.

True Twodogs. I suppose in Victoria you must consider rattling a tin can and leaching off the AFL as good economics. Maybe that why your state has been a square wheel in the national economy since the 70's.

Mofra
15-01-2009, 08:56 PM
True Twodogs. I suppose in Victoria you must consider rattling a tin can and leaching off the AFL as good economics. Maybe that why your state has been a square wheel in the national economy since the 70's.
Perhaps you Freo supporters shouldn't be talking about "square wheels" considering your history thus far :o

FWIW I didn't think Elliot was saying anything too far off the mark - the AFL clearly wants fewer teams in Victoria, and of the three smallest teams, we are the most likely to survive of the three.

Again, I'll mention the fact that GC17 don't have a mascot for a reason...

ledge
15-01-2009, 09:29 PM

In effect Jerry do your homework, the AFL actually leaches off us and realized that we werent getting what we were entitled to, so are paying it back in lump sums every year.

Dogs 24/7
15-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Perhaps you Freo supporters shouldn't be talking about "square wheels" considering your history thus far :o

In effect Jerry do your homework, the AFL actually leaches off us and realized that we werent getting what we were entitled to, so are paying it back in lump sums every year.

Just ignore Jerry. He just sits back and snipes away at the club and unsuccessfully tries to pick apart what other people go to the effort to write. He never even starts a thread and is no way constructive.

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 10:02 PM

Calming down , calming down. IT was a harmless jibe in reply to TWOdogs harmless jibe.

Sockeye Salmon
16-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Calming down , calming down. IT was a harmless jibe in reply to TWOdogs harmless jibe.

Harmless jibe? More like annoying bollocks.

Don't Freo have a forum?

LostDoggy
16-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Harmless jibe? More like annoying bollocks.

Don't Freo have a forum?

i know more about the Dogs/footy than u will ever know Sockeye.

Happy Days
16-01-2009, 12:53 AM

No mate, you dont.

You might know more about what's wrong with the dogs, but, based on all of the comments I've read of yours, you have no idea about them.

LostDoggy
16-01-2009, 12:55 AM
No mate, you dont.

You might know more about what's wrong with the dogs, but, based on all of the comments I've read of yours, you have no idea about them.

Which comments are you referring to Happy DAys?

Happy Days
16-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Which comments are you referring to Happy DAys?

Umm....all of them?

I think I'm yet to see a positive comment that has added insight to a topic, let alone something with even the slightest glimmer of positivity.

LostDoggy
16-01-2009, 01:06 AM
Umm....all of them?

I think I'm yet to see a positive comment that has added insight to a topic, let alone something with even the slightest glimmer of positivity.

SO what idea's of mine dont you like, i wasnt referring the the negativity.

I just like to keep everyones feet on the deck. It can get a bit fanatical in here sometimes Eg Griffen will win the brownlow. How about he tries to play consistant footy first then we will see about a brownlow.

Happy Days
16-01-2009, 01:17 AM
SO what idea's of mine dont you like, i wasnt referring the the negativity.

I just like to keep everyones feet on the deck. It can get a bit fanatical in here sometimes Eg Griffen will win the brownlow. How about he tries to play consistant footy first then we will see about a brownlow.

Hmm youre right. You're just keeping our feet on the deck by dissagreeing with everything any of us ever say in regard to our football club, not thinking that we might actually know what we're talking about, given that, unlike you, we actually support and barrack for the Dogs.

Just because we remain a little optimistic about our chances at times, does not mean that it's unwaranted. We were better than at least 75% of the league last year, I think we're entitled to say we might go not-s**thouse in 09!

There is one idea of yours that I like however...the "I'll criticise everyone elses opinion and not offer my own". I think I might even use it in regard to your question, especially since you knew full well which ones I was refering to. Shouldn't you be happy, you're being imitated! Now put us all out of our misery, and take your news and views to a Freo forum, please!

The Coon Dog
16-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Now put us all out of our misery, and take your news and views to a Freo forum, please!

I second the motion.

Probably not a bad idea if we all put jerry on our ignore list so we a) don't have to read his negativity & b) if we don't read it we won't react to it & he might just take a 'heave ho.

Sockeye Salmon
16-01-2009, 11:00 AM

I'd back in my 5 yo to know more about footy than you.

And about the Dogs? Don't make me laugh.

I concede you probably know more about Freo than I do.

LostDoggy
16-01-2009, 12:06 PM
About bloody time...I agree with all that SS and TCD have stated in the last few posts....I think we all left BF because of all the whinging ang slagging off of our club. Try a smile once in a while Jerry, you might find it changes your outlook!!

azabob
16-01-2009, 12:20 PM
I'd back in my 5 yo to know more about footy than you.

And about the Dogs? Don't make me laugh.

I concede you probably know more about Freo than I do.

Ok I may be a bit naive as there are quite a few "in jokes" on this forum; does Jerry seriously barrack for Fremantle?

The Coon Dog
16-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Ok I may be a bit naive as there are quite a few "in jokes" on this forum; does Jerry seriously barrack for Fremantle?

He claims not to, but we have our suspicions.

Twodogs
16-01-2009, 01:21 PM

No mate, in Victoria we have passion for our football clubs.

They arent just a hobby and we arent dillentantes when it comes to them..

Sockeye Salmon
16-01-2009, 01:54 PM

Well he sure as buggery doesn't barrack for Footscray.

LostDoggy
16-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Well he sure as buggery doesn't barrack for Footscray.

Well i don't know about that but he not what you would call "the glass is half full" type of bloke ...more like the glass is empty!!

ledge
16-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Change the thread to Jerry cant keep his trap shut?

GVGjr
16-01-2009, 08:38 PM
All,

Lets get the thread back on track thanks.

alwaysadog
16-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Given Elliot's tragic business history and the state he left the bluewankers in, why would anyone listen to anything he said?

What basis does he have for prognosticating about anything? Given the opportunities he's had he shouldn't have to appear on radio talking dribble. That he needs to draw attention to himself in this way gives away what he's really about.

Has it just occurred to him that there is a worldwide economic problem and the least well off don't do well in such circumstances. Now that is an original thought if ever I've heard one.

Not that he has ever shown any sign of altruism, his only interest in the lower orders is in patronising them to their face while kicking them while they're down. This has always been his MO, something he is very practised at and this is just another example of his approach.

Go away Jack, no one with any sense listens any more.