PDA

View Full Version : How close are you to Whitten oval?

Twodogs
14-01-2009, 01:13 PM
If I stood in my backyard and got onto a decent torp I could just about land the ball in the car park at Whitten Oval.

How close are you?

bornadog
14-01-2009, 01:27 PM
My first 4 years of my life, I lived within two torps from the car park. We then moved to the other end of barkly st (towards Totty) for a couple of years.

These days, I am in the inner south-east, or 19 klms away.

LostDoggy
14-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Im round the corner...off old geelong road..10min walk at most

bornadog
14-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Im round the corner...off old geelong road..10min walk at most

I was brought up in Wales st, across the road from the little park there.

The Underdog
14-01-2009, 01:42 PM
According to Google Maps, 60.5km by road. No wonder I never make it to training.

LostDoggy
14-01-2009, 01:45 PM
According to Google Maps, 60.5km by road. No wonder I never make it to training.

Half your luck, I'm about 739 Kms away after growing up 2Kms away

Twodogs
14-01-2009, 01:46 PM

Soft!

The Underdog
14-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Soft!

Yeah the choice of watching Ryan Griffen train or spending time with my daughter is one I struggle with daily That and the whole trying to skive off of work to go to a 10am training, although I know there's certain members of this board who have less trouble with that than I do.

Twodogs
14-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Yeah the choice of watching Ryan Griffen train or spending time with my daughter is one I struggle with daily That and the whole trying to skive off of work to go to a 10am training, although I know there's certain members of this board who have less trouble with that than I do.

Bring the kids-theres heaps for them to do! They could throw rocks at, ummm, other rocks and stuff.

It's kind of like the Wally's World of the Western suburbs.

The Underdog
14-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Bring the kids-theres heaps for them to do! They could throw rocks at, ummm, other rocks and stuff.

It's no fun since they knocked down the toilets, no diseases to catch, no needles to step on...

Twodogs
14-01-2009, 02:00 PM
It's no fun since they knocked down the toilets, no diseases to catch, no needles to step on...

That was only half the fun. There's always tetnaus(?) from rusty nails.

The Underdog
14-01-2009, 02:09 PM
That was only half the fun. There's always tetnaus(?) from rusty nails.

She's at the age where she's tall enough to hit her head on tables which combined with the new found ability to run has her looking like she's taken up boxing. I'd hate to think what she could have done to herself in the outer at WO.
On a side note my brother actually slit his eyelid open on a piece of wire sticking out from a fence at the Junction Oval in about 1983. Sometimes the old suburban grounds had some downsides.

craigsahibee
14-01-2009, 02:27 PM
I live 45km's away but it will always be a part of me.

LostDoggy
14-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Formerly from the fine suburb or Ardeer (West Sunshine), I now reside about 2km from our spirtual home.

Desipura
14-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I originally lived in Valnere st Maidstone which was near my old school Footscray Nth primary school.

azabob
14-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Grew up in Seaford (near frankston) so every second week my old man would drive us up the nepean hwy and over the bridge to the ground. Or if he wanted to drink; train trip into the city then catch the connecting train. Normally to 90mins via car and hell of a lot longer via train. Now only 10km if that from the ground.

Axe Man
14-01-2009, 03:27 PM
I only live 115kms away...

mighty_west
14-01-2009, 03:29 PM
72 km's away. [Mornington]

Closest i've lived was Francis st. Yarraville.

ledge
14-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I lived in Melon st Braybrook through my school years and walked it a few times, then moved to Sunshine, then married and moved to Melton, now i am in St Albans, so never very far for me.

LostDoggy
14-01-2009, 04:24 PM
I lived in Melon st Braybrook through my school years and walked it a few times, then moved to Sunshine, then married and moved to Melton, now i am in St Albans, so never very far for me.

Geez...i lived in melon st as well!! Now in Yarraville off Geelong road, nowadays i love going over Mt Mistake and see the transformation of the closest thing i have to a church develop

ledge
14-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Geez...i lived in melon st as well!! Now in Yarraville off Geelong road, nowadays i love going over Mt Mistake and see the transformation of the closest thing i have to a church develop

Your the reason I moved out :D
Some big family that lived on the corner of Joy and Melon that terrorized the neighbourhood.

strebla
14-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Some big family that lived on the corner of Joy and Melon that terrorized the neighbourhood.

I grew up in Melon st and would often walk to the Western oval on a saturday arvo.
I also know that large family,good people they are

Twodogs
14-01-2009, 04:51 PM

Behave or I'll sick the Marmo's onto you.;)

NoseBleed
14-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Across town these days, but I was born less than a klick away...
:p

ledge
14-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Fair squad of kids we were around Braybrook, from what I remember though that family were all mad on the Swans good to see you all came to your senses.
A quick waltz down memory lane..
Hopper,
Burgess,
Ryan,
Scott,
Keeping,
Okeefe,
Brown,
Tzatzaris,
Wainwright (scary swans supporters)
Then there was the good family Wright and that blow in Webster.(Not a bad fella though.)
I made plenty a century playing cricket in Alwyn court and on Elizabeth st.
Learnt not to bowl at a certain Coon Dogs legs in the early days.

Sockeye Salmon
14-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Born in Queen St, Altona, but thankfully now residing in the leafy East at Ashburton.

Desipura
14-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Born in Queen St, Altona, but thankfully now residing in the leafy East at Ashburton.

thanks for adding the leafy bit, it changes my whole perception of Ashburton.

Sockeye Salmon
14-01-2009, 10:55 PM
thanks for adding the leafy bit, it changes my whole perception of Ashburton.

The leaves grow on the trees. Pay attention and you might see one next time you're over here robbing my house.

Now, back in your hole or I'll put up your rent. :D

Don't you love all those Western Suburbs stereotypes?

GVGjr
14-01-2009, 10:57 PM
A trip to Wesley college (5 to 8 minutes) this Saturday is a lot closer that one to the Whitten Oval (35 minutes)
Born in Footscray hospital though.

ledge
14-01-2009, 11:41 PM
The leaves grow on the trees. Pay attention and you might see one next time you're over here robbing my house.

Ok wheres my crowbar, what was your address again Sockeye?

BulldogBelle
14-01-2009, 11:49 PM
First 7 years of my life I lived in Spotswood...now live 10 minutes away from Whitten Oval in the north-western suburbs.

mjp
15-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Ok wheres my crowbar, what was your address again Sockeye?

While you're there, maybe you could put up a bit of scaffold and finish painting his house?

bold-dogg
15-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Proud to say I live in a leafy street between Geelong Rd and Whitten Oval.
Dogs players visit Bold-Pup's school, so when pup asked me how tall is a particular Pokemon, I read the card and said 'Tall as Peter street'. Pup looked suitably impressed.
Our local playground is the kiddies park opposite the makeshift Bulldogs Shoppe at WO.
It's a great area, we all know each other, and all rabid bulldogs supporters of course, for streets around. So guess what we talk about over the back fence, or down at the milk bar?
I put my next-door neighbour onto WOOF yesterday, because she wanted to see video of the new draftees. She's working at the bullies gym and keeping me posted. Said Stack looked magnificent. Another neighbour wears all her Bulldogs gear on regular trips to Tasmania and further afield, and last year to the snowfields. In this ward, when councillors threatened the club, it was political suicide.

Sockeye Salmon
15-01-2009, 09:12 AM
While you're there, maybe you could put up a bit of scaffold and finish painting his house?

You sound like my wife. It's only been 4 years, I'll get to it one day.

Desipura
15-01-2009, 09:16 AM

Not bragging however IF I wanted to, I could sell my house and buy in Ashburton without adding a cent. I prefer looking out my window to water, how's your water views?
I have done some work in Ashburton, I liken to Freo looks good from the outside then when you really looking into it, it does not have much substance. Williamstown over Ashburton anyday of the week! I prefer to associate with REAL people that call a "spade a spade, yourself excluded":D
Also prefer to have multiple options getting around Melbourne.
You are one of those stereotypes. As the saying goes once a Westy always a Westy!

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 10:37 AM
I live oh, just the three hours away. Not this year though!

GetDimmaBack
15-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Grew up near the corner of Hinkler & Joy Sts in Braybrook, now live 95 km east of Whitten Oval. Still have reserved seats, though...

I remeber as a kid, after WO games, that if you were clever enough to get on the Sunshine bus in the middle of heaps of adults there was no way to get to the driver to pay your fare.
Man, the fish & chips at Beachley St (off South Rd) always tasted better after a "cheap" trip home. Especially if the Dogs had won, which usually seemed to require Teddy kicking a boomer at the Mt Mistake end in the last quarter to seal the game!

Anyone else remember the Beachley St shops? Some amazing things happened there in those days...

The Coon Dog
15-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Anyone else remember the Beachley St shops? Some amazing things happened there in those days...

I lived about 20 seconds walk from there. We had a paddock on the corner of Beachley St & Turner Cres where we always had huge bonfires on Guy Fawkes night.

I once won a pinball tournament in the milk bar there at the shops.

The owners of that fish shop left the gas on one night & the place burnt down. I reckon it would have been about 1975.

dadsgirl16
15-01-2009, 11:30 AM
I grew up in West Footscray near the YMCA so it was a 5 minute walk on saturday arvo with me dad

Nowadays I am in Yarraville and also love going over Mt Mistake and checking out the "church"

Bulldog4life
15-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Not far away from Sockeye in Mt.Waverley although selling soon and going for a sea change. Won't stop me going every week we play in Melbourne though. Grew up in Anderson Street Yarraville and used to walk to the footy up Williamstown Road. Aahh those were the days.

GetDimmaBack
15-01-2009, 11:47 AM
I lived about 20 seconds walk from there. We had a paddock on the corner of Beachley St & Turner Cres where we always had huge bonfires on Guy Fawkes night.

I once won a pinball tournament in the milk bar there at the shops.

The owners of that fish shop left the gas on one night & the place burnt down. I reckon it would have been about 1975.

...and then there were the squash courts around the corner...

Twodogs
15-01-2009, 11:50 AM
It's a great area, we all know each other, and all rabid bulldogs supporters of course, for streets around. So guess what we talk about over the back fence, or down at the milk bar?

That's what I truly love about living here. The deep, bottomless, almost 100% rabidity of the local residents. Around here you just barrack for the locals without question, no ifs, no buts.

The Coon Dog
15-01-2009, 11:56 AM
...and then there were the squash courts around the corner...

We spent a bit of time on the trampolines there. 20 cents for 20 minutes.

And behind the squash courts was the VRI tennis courts. They were seperated by a brick wall. We used to line bottles up on there & throw whopping great yonnies at them. No one ever got hurt.

Twodogs
15-01-2009, 11:59 AM

And behind the squash courts was the VRI tennis courts. They were seperated by a brick wall. We used to line bottles up on there & throw whopping great yonnies at them. No one ever got hurt.

Yonnies! I havent heard that word for ages.

ledge
15-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Grew up near the corner of Hinkler & Joy Sts in Braybrook, now live 95 km east of Whitten Oval. Still have reserved seats, though...

I remeber as a kid, after WO games, that if you were clever enough to get on the Sunshine bus in the middle of heaps of adults there was no way to get to the driver to pay your fare.
Man, the fish & chips at Beachley St (off South Rd) always tasted better after a "cheap" trip home. Especially if the Dogs had won, which usually seemed to require Teddy kicking a boomer at the Mt Mistake end in the last quarter to seal the game!

AH Beachley St when i wasnt in Melon st, i was hanging out with the Coon around there.
Or at South Rd shops because a mate of mine couldnt pass the TAB there without ducking in for 2 hours.

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 12:18 PM
AH Beachley St when i wasnt in Melon st, i was hanging out with the Coon around there.
Or at South Rd shops because a mate of mine couldnt pass the TAB there without ducking in for 2 hours.

AHH Braybrook, the worlds biggest playground....who needs Disneyland!!:D

The Coon Dog
15-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Yonnies! I havent heard that word for ages.

There was a car park made of these great big stones. We just used to call them yonnies. I had a sneaky suspicion that you would pick up on that word.

GetDimmaBack
15-01-2009, 12:32 PM

Never once fell off those tramps, either.

Speaking of VRI, we used their land behind the South Rd shops to thrash a mate's paddock bomb around. Spent ages doing risky things with that car you wouldn't dream of letting your kids do today!
Actually, we weren't allowed to either. Never ever told my mother what we did there...

BTW, the car had a 3KZ Doggies sticker on it!

Twodogs
15-01-2009, 12:40 PM
There was a car park made of these great big stones. We just used to call them yonnies. I had a sneaky suspicion that you would pick up on that word.

IIRC yonnies were the flat stomes that we used to skip across the water.

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 12:46 PM
And dont forget all those years of cricket at Totty Tech and a certain grumpy bum called Alf Murray.
Coon Learnt quickly not to catch him in the deep! Funniest thing I ever saw, Coon celebrating a pearler and his coach going berserk because he caught him out. Totty 1 v Totty 2
I had my nose broken trying to sweep a certain D. Brown, still not fixed.

Also saw the Coon dog run Alf out pushing for a third....very funny, 76 years old and the Coonster tearing up the pitch screaming yes. Poor old Alf never even made it to half way.

Brownnie made a habit of whacking blokes on the face, in your case though it made $50 worth of improvements!!:D

GetDimmaBack
15-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Weren't they "brinnies"?

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 12:48 PM

Being the VRI carpark it was most likely Ballast ( the stones on a railway track)

Bulldog4life
15-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Weren't they "brinnies"?

Yonnies for me too. Actually never heard of brinnies!

GetDimmaBack
15-01-2009, 12:56 PM
So your the bloke when we turned up to train at Sunshine VRI footy club that destroyed our practice ground!

Boy, if that was your ground, then you were truly playing paddock football! Even the car did it tough on that surface - although it would have done it tough on the world's best freeway when I think of how we used to thump it...

You should've gone over and had a run on the VRI bowling green!:eek:

craigsahibee
15-01-2009, 01:15 PM

Yeah, and yonnies were "piffed" not thrown.

GetDimmaBack
15-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Yonnies for me too. Actually never heard of brinnies!

Brinnies may have been very local dialect.

Bulldog4life
15-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Brinnies may have been very local dialect.

Yeah the Yarraville & Braybrook guys did talk differently. :)

Sockeye Salmon
15-01-2009, 02:36 PM

They do now. The Yarraville guys have a lisp.

GetDimmaBack
15-01-2009, 02:44 PM

I never knew any Yarraville guys, and I've never understood why.
A lot of Braybrook guys hung out in Sunshine (anyone remember the Crossroads?) and we knew lots of Footscray & Williamstown boys, but not Yarraville.

Where did the Yarraville guys hang?

Bulldog4life
15-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I never knew any Yarraville guys, and I've never understood why.
A lot of Braybrook guys hung out in Sunshine (anyone remember the Crossroads?) and we knew lots of Footscray & Williamstown boys, but not Yarraville.

Depends what era of course...I played a lot of sport when younger from footy to tennis to squash etc. etc. So I didn't "hang out" I suppose in that sense. Played my tennis at Yarraville in Hyde street, footy at North Footscray & Footscray Tech Old Boys and squash at Sunshine.

Footscray was a hang out for other Yarraville locals, along with Sun Theatre locality in the Yarraville Shopping Centre and of course we all followed Yarraville in the VFA.

ledge
15-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Gee i played at F.I.T as well, along with Coon, doing a quick age add up I believe we were there around 1980 along with Dennis Collins brother Daryl.
What era were you there Bulldog4life and do i know you?

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 05:16 PM
They do now. The Yarraville guys have a lisp.

Hey....come on That's not very PC of you SS!!:( Besides we have more the "dog walking" type here in Yarraville the Rainbow capital of the west!!

Happy Days
15-01-2009, 05:29 PM

I too love being safely nestled in the east, away from the blue-collar commoners :p

Twodogs
15-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey....come on That's not very PC of you SS!!:( Besides we have more the "dog walking" type here in Yarraville the Rainbow capital of the west!!

SS is famously non PC.

And he lived in Yarraville-but he'll tell you it was KIngsville!

Bulldog4life
15-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Gee i played at F.I.T as well, along with Coon, doing a quick age add up I believe we were there around 1980 along with Dennis Collins brother Daryl.
What era were you there Bulldog4life and do i know you?

About 10 or so years before then in fact. Actually 1969 to be precise so I doubt if I'd know you through there as I played for only 1 year at the FIT. I wish I did play there in 1980.:) I'd be younger. But then again I was at the 1961 GF so there sometimes are advantages.....although to lose at a GF is not a great feeling even when you are young.

The Doctor
15-01-2009, 07:00 PM
If I stood in my backyard and got onto a decent torp I could just about land the ball in the car park at Whitten Oval.

I once spent the night in the carpark.

Twodogs
15-01-2009, 07:03 PM

Around the wogshops in Ballarat st in Yarraville mainly. The pubs in Footscray as well but like B4L say's it was mainly sport that dominated our lives. The Bulldogs, Yarraville Eagles and Kingsville Killas in winter and cricket in summer. Training, playing and socialising with your clubmates took up most of our time. Bizarrely there were a heap of kds who played ice hockey at the old ice skating rink in Hyde st as well. (or was it Whitehall st?)

But I think I pretty much grew up in the old clubrooms at Angliss reserve.

Twodogs
15-01-2009, 07:05 PM

I'm guessing it was either freezing coldm or stinking hot. Whitten Oval has it's own weather patterns and they are extreme.

Mofra
15-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Lived nearby for 2 years in West Footscray, before moing to Canberra for 3 years.

PS. Don't move to Canberra.

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 09:58 PM
If Banbury Village ever gets built I'm hoping to move right next door. The dream spot!

Scraggers
15-01-2009, 10:07 PM

Weak ...

I live 3,427 km – about 1 day 18 hours according to Google Maps ... and I got to training twice last year and once this year :D

When I lived in Melbourne I resided in Elsternwick, Elwood, Preston, Rowville, and Ferntree Gully ... but I never missed a game !!

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 10:44 PM

I've had an intimate night with twodogs as well.

Sockeye Salmon
16-01-2009, 12:24 AM
SS is famously non PC.

And he lived in Yarraville-but he'll tell you it was KIngsville!

No, that was KT31. I've never lived in Kingsville.

I did live just off Roberts St in Clarendon St - just near the old bitumen velodrome.

The Underdog
16-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Weak ...

I live 3,427 km – about 1 day 18 hours according to Google Maps ... and I got to training twice last year and once this year :D

When I lived in Melbourne I resided in Elsternwick, Elwood, Preston, Rowville, and Ferntree Gully ... but I never missed a game !!

I didn't say that I missed games, I just never go to training.
I did however go to Darwin, Canberra and Launceston last year, which are all slightly more scenic than Whitten Oval (well, maybe not Canberra).

LostDoggy
16-01-2009, 11:50 PM
I live about 45km away from the Whitten Oval.

Before I Die
17-01-2009, 01:10 AM
20km (25km by road) according to Google maps. However, I spent my first 12 years in Yarraville and my next 10 in Altona. I now reside in the North East.

bresker
17-01-2009, 01:34 AM
Probably about 12,000km km:(

I did walk to training a few times when I lived in Albion

Scraggers
18-01-2009, 01:25 AM
I didn't say that I missed games, I just never go to training.
I did however go to Darwin, Canberra and Launceston last year, which are all slightly more scenic than Whitten Oval (well, maybe not Canberra).

I wish ... I very rarely get to games nowadays (obviously every time the Doggies play in Perth I'm there), but I am planning a boys weekend trip to Melbourne ('bout 6 days in total) for round 13 against North to celebrate my 40th !!

Sockeye Salmon
18-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I wish ... I very rarely get to games nowadays (obviously every time the Doggies play in Perth I'm there), but I am planning a boys weekend trip to Melbourne ('bout 6 days in total) for round 13 against North to celebrate my 40th !!

Couldn't you wrangle it to take in 2 games?

micka bulldog
18-01-2009, 03:20 PM
The Miller Williams Clan are 125kms from the oval

mjp
18-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Just looked it up. Just over 3400kms or 37hours driving.

Not sure it is really achievable to get there in less than about 60 hours though - even with two people sharing. Too much night driving across wildlife 'heavy' roads would not be wise.

Twodogs
18-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Just looked it up. Just over 3400kms or 37hours driving.

Not sure it is really achievable to get there in less than about 60 hours though - even with two people sharing. Too much night driving across wildlife 'heavy' roads would not be wise.

You went from, what, 30 minutes away?

Scraggers
19-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Couldn't you wrangle it to take in 2 games?

I wish ... but I can't get the time off work or away from the family ... plus I'm hoping to travel to Melbourne again for the last Saturday in September to watch one more game

LostDoggy
19-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Hmm. Tricky question.

My residential address in North Melbourne is what -- 10 min drive from the W.O.? (5 min walk to the Dome), but since renting it out last year have moved my furniture farther east so am now a good half hour away. Having said that I'm in West Foot-a-scray every other weekend that I'm in Melbourne so I see the old Oval (not so old now!) all-a-the-time.

What complicates matters is that half the year I'm in one of usually Ethiopia, Senegal, Vietnam, Singapore, India, LA, Washington or Geneva, so at any time I could possibly be up to 10283 miles (16548 km) (8936 nautical miles) away (Geneva). Thank God for WOOF and the internet is all I can say.

But they say home is where the heart is -- if that's the case, the good old W.O. is always with me wherever in the world I am.

LostDoggy
19-01-2009, 12:36 PM
26.7 km, according to Google. It's a pretty easy drive and good practice, except when I'm looking at the field and not at the road.

Twodogs
19-01-2009, 12:41 PM
26.7 km, according to Google. It's a pretty easy drive and good practice, except when I'm looking at the field and not at the road.

Haha. I nearly ran into the rear of the car in front of us on Mt Mistake today because I was looking at the ground and not the road! Dear old dad was in the passenger seat and it was his car...

KT31
20-01-2009, 01:26 AM
According to Google 590 km after being 5.5kms most of my life.

Or Spurling Oval as Google calls it.

hujsh
20-01-2009, 01:57 AM
55.2 km – about 1 hour 6 mins according to Google

Max469
20-01-2009, 09:11 PM
18.9km

LostDoggy
20-01-2009, 10:54 PM
As of March 12 when I move into my first house 16km or 21 minuets drive.

BulldogBelle
20-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I live approximately 6.00 km away from Whitten Oval...although, I drive past the club every day on my way to work which is in Brooklyn.

Eastdog
03-05-2012, 08:53 PM
I live in the Eastern Suburbs (Vermont South to be precise). According to Google Maps I'm about 33.7 km away - 40 minutes away. The closest I have lived to the ground was after I was born when we lived in Preston which is about 17.6 km away - 28 minutes.

SonofScray
03-05-2012, 08:56 PM
15mins drive atm. Maybe 7.6 when our home is built.

chef
03-05-2012, 08:57 PM
210 km - 2 hours 46 mins:(

AndrewP6
03-05-2012, 10:23 PM
51.6 km according to Google Maps. Not too bad a trip on the freeway. That said, I do it about 4 times a year, hardly a regular commute!

westdog54
03-05-2012, 10:43 PM
210 km - 2 hours 46 mins:(

Just edged me out, 198km and 2hr 28

LostDoggy
03-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Werribee just down Geelong Road and the M1

bornadog
04-05-2012, 12:12 AM

Sticking to the speed limit of course:p

Chicago1
04-05-2012, 05:19 AM
According to Google maps:

Directions to Whitten Oval Social Venue
Barkly Street, West Footscray VIC 3012, Australia‎ - (03) 9689 6100‎
15,331 mi – about 55 days 17 hours

There are 141 steps to get there driving to Washington state, kayaking to Hawaii and driving through Hawaii then continuing the kayak voyage to Japan, driving through Japan, kayaking to the Northern Territory and finally driving to the Whitten Oval.

I would try this but there is a ferry I'd have to use in Japan and I don't like ferries. Also I don't drive and I don't think I could talk anyone into doing the drive. Oh yeah... I don't swim so maybe the kayaking part might be a bit daunting.

Maybe next year. :p

westdog54
04-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Sticking to the speed limit of course:p

Naturally!

LostDoggy
04-05-2012, 09:28 AM

There are 141 steps to get there driving to Washington state, kayaking to Hawaii and driving through Hawaii then continuing the kayak voyage to Japan, driving through Japan, kayaking to the Northern Territory and finally driving to the Whitten Oval.

I would try this but there is a ferry I'd have to use in Japan and I don't like ferries. Also I don't drive and I don't think I could talk anyone into doing the drive. Oh yeah... I don't swim so maybe the kayaking part might be a bit daunting.

You're soft:D

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-05-2012, 09:44 AM
I lived in Barkly St directly opposite the ground. The current driveway runs straight into my parents house so drive carefully. We could see the scoreboard from our front yard and used to play over the road having a running battle with the groundskeeper who was always kicking us out. Our ambition was to steal the giant plastic bulldog and put it on our roof. Avondale Heights has got nothing to compare.

Daughter of the West
04-05-2012, 10:15 AM
7.8km, 17 minutes drive according to Google.
Closer than I thought.

LostDoggy
04-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Frankston, but actually never been to Whitten Oval!
Being over this side of the water it's a bit tough to get there, but now I'm older, and have a car, I'll be there by seasons end ;)

Twodogs
04-05-2012, 11:21 AM

What about with the siren blaring and the lights flashing?

Twodogs
04-05-2012, 12:00 PM
According to Google 590 km after being 5.5kms most of my life.

Or Spurling Oval as Google calls it.

I noticed that the ground was called that on google maps as well so I did a bit of research;

In 1883, the Footscray Football Club was formed. A year later, the club began hosting games in the botanical gardens. While the gardens became known as the David Spurling Reserve, the oval within the gardens became the Western Oval.

From;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Oval

DragzLS1
04-05-2012, 12:25 PM
7.8km, 17 minutes drive according to Google.
Closer than I thought.

7.0km exactly and 13minutes.

Man that extra 800m you have to drive is a whole 4 minutes difference :s you must have alot of traffic lights arounf your place

Flamethrower
04-05-2012, 12:49 PM

I lived in the "leafy East" for a few years.....couldn't stand all the traffic...there seemed to be gridlock on the roads from 0600 to 2200 7 days a week.....I almost though I was living in Southern California again.

I have worked closer to the Bulldogs' home grounds than I have lived over the years, spending about 10 years at the Western Hospital when we played at Whitten Oval, and now working at RMH which is a brisk 20 minute walk from Etihad.

westdog54
04-05-2012, 12:59 PM
What about with the siren blaring and the lights flashing?

One of the highway patrol guys could probably do it in an hour and a half or so, allowing for fighting through the traffic on Ballarat Road.

Daughter of the West
04-05-2012, 01:45 PM
7.0km exactly and 13minutes.

Man that extra 800m you have to drive is a whole 4 minutes difference :s you must have alot of traffic lights arounf your place

It's got me going along main roads with tram lines for about half the distance, so I reckon that might have been what's done it. If I was stuck behind a tram however... god knows how long! :D

1eyedog
04-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I lived in Errol St for the first 7 years of my life, about 150 metres away from the south east corner of the ground. I'm in Brunswick now, about 8km away.

1eyedog
04-05-2012, 03:31 PM

You don't swim, drive or kayak ansd your not good at talking other people into doing anything for you? Gee how do you ever get anywhere?

Raw Toast
04-05-2012, 05:19 PM
6.8km, 10 minutes, although apparently 11 minutes in current traffic, and I reckon it will be 30-45 minutes on Sunday after we win the flag :)

I am however, typing this from an (open-plan) office on the second floor of the Whitten Oval. :D

WBFC4FFC
04-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Grew-up near the corner of Geelong Rd and Central Ave. An easy 10 minute walk to the ground.

Could easily hear the crowd from our joint.

Ozza
04-05-2012, 07:44 PM
I lived in Errol St for the first 7 years of my life, about 150 metres away from the south east corner of the ground. I'm in Brunswick now, about 8km away.

Yep - Brunswick - about 8kms away sounds about right to me. I'm there now - and I think its the biggest distance I've lived from Whitten Oval, ever!

Remi Moses
04-05-2012, 08:02 PM
9.6 K's 17 minutes according to google maps.
Geez if they removed some of the many oversized trucks on Willy Rd, it would be quicker!!

gohardorgohome
05-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Grew up in East Keilor...15 minutes drive to the Whitten Oval.... Living in Gisborne these days....it took about 45 minutes to get to the family day.

Eastdog
05-05-2012, 12:32 AM
A trip to Wesley college (5 to 8 minutes) this Saturday is a lot closer that one to the Whitten Oval (35 minutes)
Born in Footscray hospital though.

Me too being in Vermont South much closer to Wesley College where the annual East meets West Day is held.

Eastdog
05-05-2012, 02:40 AM

Now that is a long trip.

Eastdog
25-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Frankston, but actually never been to Whitten Oval!
Being over this side of the water it's a bit tough to get there, but now I'm older, and have a car, I'll be there by seasons end ;)

I haven't been yet either but once I get my licence I'm sure ill make the trip over from the eastern suburbs to WO sometime.

bornadog
25-04-2013, 05:18 PM
I haven't been yet either but once I get my licence I'm sure ill make the trip over from the eastern suburbs to WO sometime.

Public Transport;)

Eastdog
25-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Public Transport;)

What would be the best train line to get there.

bornadog
25-04-2013, 05:24 PM
What would be the best train line to get there.

From city you can catch the Sunbury line to West Footscray,

http://www.metrotrains.com.au/stations/west-footscray

Go on a training day and watch the boys train, then visit the museum and have lunch at the Pound. A good half day gone.

Eastdog
25-04-2013, 05:35 PM

Go on a training day and watch the boys train, then visit the museum and have lunch at the Pound. A good half day gone.

Thanks for that BAD. Yeah training days are a bit hard for me as I have Uni. Maybe I might go in the holidays sometime or to the family day.

bornadog
25-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks for that BAD. Yeah training days are a bit hard for me as I have Uni. Maybe I might go in the holidays sometime or to the family day.

Mid year break would be ideal

Eastdog
25-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Mid year break would be ideal

Yeah that would be a good time. How about with the tram from the city to WO.

bornadog
25-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Yeah that would be a good time. How about with the tram from the city to WO.

Not really available.

Eastdog
25-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Not really available.

Ok that's alright thanks again BAD for that information.

AndrewP6
25-04-2013, 07:00 PM
I'm on long service leave from work, was thinking I'd head over and watch training and see the new museum in the next week or two.

Eastdog
06-08-2013, 08:32 PM
I live in the Eastern Suburbs (Vermont South to be precise). According to Google Maps I'm about 33.7 km away - 40 minutes away. The closest I have lived to the ground was after I was born when we lived in Preston which is about 17.6 km away - 28 minutes.

Will be moving to Balwyn by the end of the year so will be closer to the Whitten Oval than I was before.

According to Google Maps from my new place: 21.1km 31 minutes (depending on traffic) is the shortest route.

Varangian
07-08-2013, 12:26 PM
About 800 metres. I live in the old 'now refurbished' Footscray theatre.

Twodogs
07-08-2013, 01:40 PM
About 800 metres. I live in the old 'now refurbished' Footscray theatre.

Do you mean the old Barkly Theatre? From memory Chris Grant had something to do with the redevelopment of the building.

F'scary
07-08-2013, 02:00 PM
I measure my distance from the Whitten Oval by the number of curious plastic orange flasks I see dropped on the ground or in the gutters. I used to live about 20 plastic orange flasks away. But these days it seems to be only about 10 plastic orange flasks. Perhaps I am getting closer, although the house doesn't seem to have moved.

Varangian
07-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Do you mean the old Barkly Theatre? From memory Chris Grant had something to do with the redevelopment of the building.

Yes, opposite Gilmore Girls College. I believe Chris was a joint-owner prior to the redevelopment.

Mofra
07-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Jack Collins used to own it (and live there upstairs)

Ozza
07-08-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm now living about 200 metres from the goal square at the Geelong road end (just over the road in Seddon).

Can't wait until the VFL team is playing there (if that is definitely going to happen). Will be very convenient to wander over there with the kids.

Twodogs
07-08-2013, 05:42 PM
The VFLteam will be a boon for the district. No doubt. A lot of people will be living in the middle of footscray and West Footscray within a few years. Hopefully a few of them get behind the local boys.

LostDoggy
07-08-2013, 09:19 PM
I measure my distance from the Whitten Oval by the number of curious plastic orange flasks I see dropped on the ground or in the gutters. I used to live about 20 plastic orange flasks away. But these days it seems to be only about 10 plastic orange flasks. Perhaps I am getting closer, although the house doesn't seem to have moved.

Random LMAO ! :D

Eastdog
17-08-2013, 12:25 AM

Interesting way of measuring the distance F'scary :D

Throughandthrough
17-08-2013, 12:39 AM
730 km

ratsmac
17-08-2013, 11:13 AM
I used to live at 5 Williamstown rd, which is right next to The Rising Sun. I loved the fact that I didn't need to look for parking.

Eastdog
22-08-2013, 09:22 PM
The VFLteam will be a boon for the district. No doubt. A lot of people will be living in the middle of footscray and West Footscray within a few years. Hopefully a few of them get behind the local boys.

Definitely the inner north and inner west is becoming much more appealing today.

BulldogBelle
31-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Formerly from the fine suburb or Ardeer (West Sunshine), I now reside about 2km from our spirtual home.

We lived in the last house in Forest Street, Ardeer up till 1974 :)

Now we are 150 km from Barkly Street

bornadog
31-08-2013, 02:32 PM
We lived in the last house in Forest Street, Ardeer up till 1974 :)

Now we are 150 km from Barkly Street

Did you go to Sunshine West High school?

BulldogBelle
31-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Did you go to Sunshine West High school?

No, a couple of my friends did. Went to Essendon Grammar - bit before Scotty West :) John Birt was a teacher there. When I first started going to the footy he was captain coach of our ressies and would come on in the last quarter to save the game for them.

W W Biscuit
03-09-2013, 08:29 AM
I live in Walthamstow, so 16,871 kilometres away. Don't get to many games these days!

Twodogs
03-09-2013, 02:14 PM
I live in Walthamstow, so 16,871 kilometres away. Don't get to many games these days!

Who is that in your avatar WWB?

W W Biscuit
03-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Who is that in your avatar WWB?

That is the great Robert Groenewegan, Twodogs. And here he is again :)

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2012-08-08/bulldogs-memories-robert-groenewegen

KT31
03-09-2013, 06:08 PM

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2012-08-08/bulldogs-memories-robert-groenewegen

You meant Captain Groenewegen, of course.

Twodogs
03-09-2013, 06:27 PM

I knewI knew that face. The man who put us 14 points in front at the ten minute mark of the 1985 Prelim. It was our last goal for the year.

Eastdog
10-09-2013, 04:01 PM

I believe that place is in London somewhere.

Greystache
10-09-2013, 04:31 PM

I also believe it's somewhere on Earth and somewhere in the Milky Way.

bornadog
10-09-2013, 04:32 PM

you missed the Universe and galaxy :D

Greystache
10-09-2013, 04:33 PM

The Milky Way is OUR galaxy ;)

bulldogtragic
10-09-2013, 05:38 PM
The Milky Way is OUR galaxy ;)
Check out the big brain on Brad :)

That's right the metric system, ahem, galaxy. :)

azabob
10-09-2013, 06:47 PM

The Milky Way is an underrated snack food.

Eastdog
10-09-2013, 08:25 PM
The Milky Way is an underrated snack food.

Haven't had one if a while but they are very good ;)

LostDoggy
10-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Guys please don't take this thread off track.

It's somewhere on a East 17 cd.

Twodogs
11-09-2013, 12:03 AM
It's a Great song by The Church.

1eyedog
15-09-2013, 10:44 AM

Everyone missed the Orion Arm of the Milky Way and the local group of galaxies. Astrophysicists now believe there may be multiple universes too!:D

Where_only_dogs_tread
15-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Liverpool St, pretty much a stones throw from WO, looking forward to the short walk to VFL home games next year :)

Eastdog
15-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Liverpool St, pretty much a stones throw from WO, looking forward to the short walk to VFL home games next year :)

Ill be a bit closer as I mentioned in this thread as Im moving house soon to Balwyn and will be about 30 minutes away. Must be great for you Wodt that the ground is just walking distance from your place. You won't have to worry about parking.

Bulldog4life
15-09-2013, 03:26 PM
I be a bit closer as I mentioned in this thread as Im moving house soon and will be about 30 minutes away. Must be great for you Wodt that the ground is just walking distance from your place. You won't have to worry about parking.

We can all park there.:)

Twodogs
15-09-2013, 04:13 PM
I be a bit closer as I mentioned in this thread as Im moving house soon and will be about 30 minutes away. Must be great for you Wodt that the ground is just walking distance from your place. You won't have to worry about parking.

I start most mornings with a walk to Whitten Oval and a lap or two of the ground.

ledge
15-09-2013, 04:28 PM
I moved to Melton a year ago, but when I was younger I lived off Melon St in braybrook, used to walk to and from the ground occasionally or bus it as a kid.

W W Biscuit
17-09-2013, 08:21 AM

Indeed Eastdog. It's in the north east. Diehard Arsenal and Tottenham fans here. Well, Totthenham is close to Footscray, isn't it??

1eyedog
17-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Indeed Eastdog. It's in the north east. Diehard Arsenal and Tottenham fans here. Well, Totthenham is close to Footscray, isn't it??

I lived in NW 2 for five years- full of Indian cricket fans there:)

Twodogs
17-09-2013, 11:23 AM

Tottenham is 3 stops after Footscray station. I've always admired the fact that they have a team in the English Premier League but it must be a long way for them to travel each week! :D

Carn the Gunners!!!

KT31
17-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Tottenham is 3 stops after Footscray station. I've always admired the fact that they have a team in the English Premier League but it must be a long way for them to travel each week! :D

Carn the Gunners!!!

Maybe they use the plane mounted in Ashley Street.:D

Twodogs
17-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Maybe they use the plane mounted in Ashley Street.:D

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe they do.

azabob
17-09-2013, 08:34 PM

Carn the Gunners!!!

And to think AFL players whinge about flying each week...

strebla
18-09-2013, 05:25 PM
It was a good walk from melon st John in Werribee at the moment and just to clear things up Tottenham is one stop from the Whitten oval which is West Footscray

Eastdog
18-09-2013, 05:29 PM
It was a good walk from melon st John in Werribee at the moment and just to clear things up Tottenham is one stop from the Whitten oval which is West Footscray

Tottenham I believe is more of just an industrial suburb. Are their any residential areas in Tottenham.

strebla
18-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Tottenham I believe is more of just an industrial suburb. Are their any residential areas in Tottenham.

Yeah behind the shops maybe 3 or 400 houses but mostly industrial

Eastdog
18-09-2013, 05:37 PM

I grew up in the eastern suburbs but from what I understand Footscray and the inner west back 25-30 years was mostly industrial but nowadays its pretty much residential with industry still around which has moved further out in the west.

strebla
18-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Yeah your on the money there Two Dogs a lot of the industrial stuff has now moved further out but still a fair bit around in the inner west.

Eastdog
18-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Yeah your on the money there Two Dogs a lot of the industrial stuff has now moved further out but still a fair bit around in the inner west.

Just to correct you strebla Eastdog :) The northern suburbs would be the same with industry now moving further out. Brunswick where I have cousins living is certainly becoming for appealing.

strebla
18-09-2013, 06:00 PM
My bad Eastdog was going by the start of the thread sorry it seems more and more industry is heading to the big parks now. I know the industrial parks out Dandenong way are also thriving.I suppose it allows companies to get the latest technology from the start and urban housing to take over from the old factories.

Eastdog
18-09-2013, 06:06 PM
My bad Eastdog was going by the start of the thread sorry it seems more and more industry is heading to the big parks now. I know the industrial parks out Dandenong way are also thriving.I suppose it allows companies to get the latest technology from the start and urban housing to take over from the old factories.

Very true. Going down to Healthscope Pathology, Clayton for my work placement that area is certainly quite industrial. Anyways we shouldn't get to diverted away from the subject of the thread.

Twodogs
18-09-2013, 09:00 PM

I grew up in the eastern suburbs but from what I understand Footscray and the inner west back 25-30 years was mostly industrial but nowadays its pretty much residential with industry still around which has moved further out in the west.

Most of the houses are in Totty is in a block demarcated by Sunshine rd and Ashley st-more or less surrounding the train station. The industry is bounded by Sunshine rd and Geelong rd.

My first ever proper job was at the margarine factory on the corner of Roberts st and Sunshine Rd.

Eastdog
19-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Most of the houses are in Totty is in a block demarcated by Sunshine rd and Ashley st-more or less surrounding the train station. The industry is bounded by Sunshine rd and Geelong rd.

My first ever proper job was at the margarine factory on the corner of Roberts st and Sunshine Rd.

Ravenhall I believe near Deer Park is very industrial as well.

Twodogs
19-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Ravenhall I believe near Deer Park is very industrial as well.

I've only ever been to Deer Park to play cricket and to inspect a house. The sellers were standing in the bathroom smoking bongs. Then they tried to outshooshh eeahover.

Eastdog
19-09-2013, 09:56 PM
I've only ever been to Deer Park to play cricket and to inspect a house. The sellers were standing in the bathroom smoking bongs. Then they tried to outshooshh eeahover.

That's surprising having the sellers of the house at the inspection. Usually the real estate agent when doing the inspection don't want the owners there.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2013, 10:05 PM
That's surprising having the sellers of the house at the inspection. Usually the real estate agent when doing the inspection don't want the owners there.
Just bought a house this week, wasn't on the market, it was the agents brother, so I bought it direct from them in their lounge. Best sale I've been a part of, we both think we did well and they are already great to deal with, we've all invested good faith face to face which counts for something I'm thinking. Wouldn't work all the time, but in these circumstances alls well ends well.

azabob
19-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Just bought a house this week, wasn't on the market, it was the agents brother, so I bought it direct from them in their lounge. Best sale I've been a part of, we both think we did well and they are already great to deal with, we've all invested good faith face to face which counts for something I'm thinking. Wouldn't work all the time, but in these circumstances alls well ends well.

To keep the tread on track, what suburb and how far is it from the western oval?;)

Twodogs
19-09-2013, 10:18 PM

The agent certainly didn't want those particular owners there. He went a very funny colour.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2013, 10:37 PM
To keep the tread on track, what suburb and how far is it from the western oval?;)
:)

My bad. Doing the tree change thing. 148.4km's from WO.

Eastdog
19-09-2013, 10:42 PM

My house is up for auction on Saturday. Where abouts did you buy BT?

bulldogtragic
19-09-2013, 10:46 PM
About 10 minutes out of Bendigo.

I hate buying and selling at auction, I hope you have a couple of keen bidders ED!

Eastdog
19-09-2013, 10:54 PM

I hate buying and selling at auction, I hope you have a couple of keen bidders ED!

Thanks BT. Hopefully it goes well.

GVGjr
19-09-2013, 10:54 PM

Great area. I my purchased my first home in Kennington. I'll be looking to buy back there in the next few years.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Great area. I my purchased my first home in Kennington. I'll be looking to buy back there in the next few years.
Yeah, some very, very nice spots. I've opted to upgrade from my 1 acre down south to 5 acres. Property values going gangbusters too!

Eastdog
19-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Yeah, some very, very nice spots. I've opted to upgrade from my 1 acre down south to 5 acres. Property values going gangbusters too!

You seem to like the big land. Is it like a farm basically.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2013, 11:12 PM
You seem to like the big land. Is it like a farm basically.
I like my dogs! (i have 4), but as for a farm, not really. 5 acres is plenty land, but it's not really enough for lots of alpacas, sheep etc, or not this place anyway. 1/2 lawn and garden, 1/2 treed and rural. Lots of roos though... Just the stereotypical bush/tree change property.

Eastdog
19-09-2013, 11:21 PM
I like my dogs! (i have 4), but as for a farm, not really. 5 acres is plenty land, but it's not really enough for lots of alpacas, sheep etc, or not this place anyway. 1/2 lawn and garden, 1/2 treed and rural. Lots of roos though... Just the stereotypical bush/tree change property.

Definitely will be lots of open space for your dogs to run around.

Eastdog
21-09-2013, 04:48 PM

House sold now looking forward to moving into my new house in Balwyn so will be a little closer to the Whitten Oval than I previously was.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2013, 04:50 PM
House sold now looking forward to moving into my new house in Balwyn so will be a little closer to the Whitten Oval than I previously was.
Hope you find a good fish and chip store there ED :)

Eastdog
21-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Hope you find a good fish and chip store there ED :)

Thanks BT I hope I do. For any woofers in the Balwyn area that know some good fish and chips places post on the fish and chips thread on the music and entertainment board.

Greystache
21-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Are you moving to Balwyn eastdog? I missed it in the other 14 threads you posted it.

KT31
21-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Are you moving to Balwyn eastdog? I missed it in the other 14 threads you posted it.

He just couldn't resist it calling.:)

Eastdog
21-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Sorry stache I've probably mentioned it quite a bit. Lets get back on track with this thread.

Twodogs
21-09-2013, 11:56 PM
He just couldn't resist it calling.:)

Great song.

you met her at a party on saturday night, she was drinking Advocat

bulldogtragic
22-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Great song.

you met her at a party on saturday night, she was drinking Advocat
A brick veneer prison is waiting for you.

Greatest line ever.

Dazza
22-09-2013, 05:16 PM
30.4 km's according to google maps.

Twodogs
22-09-2013, 08:19 PM
A brick veneer prison is waiting for you.

Greatest line ever.

She might have looked like a princess, but why'd you have to give her your address?
You ain't safe when you get home. She's gonna call you on the telephone

One of the Top 5 Australian bands of all time. Sadly underrated in terms of influence and output.

Eastdog
01-10-2013, 06:12 PM

How about by tram from the city straight to the Whitten Oval. I believe you need to catch tram 57 from Collins st but correct me if I'm wrong.

Daughter of the West
01-10-2013, 06:32 PM
How about by tram from the city straight to the Whitten Oval. I believe you need to catch tram 57 from Collins st but correct me if I'm wrong.

This might help you out Eastdog:

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/

And tram 57 is not going to get you to the Whitten Oval. Much better idea to catch the train.

Eastdog
01-10-2013, 06:36 PM
This might help you out Eastdog:

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/

And tram 57 is not going to get you to the Whitten Oval. Much better idea to catch the train.

Thanks for that DOFW.

Eastdog
11-11-2013, 01:08 AM
I'm Interested to know if anyone knows if the Whitten Oval is heritage listed.

Twodogs
11-11-2013, 12:17 PM

Good question. I'd say no mainly because they just pulled large parts of it down. Don't know about the ground itself.

always right
11-11-2013, 02:01 PM

I believe the spot where Templeton kicked his 15th goal against St Kilda might be.

Eastdog
11-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Good question. I'd say no mainly because they just pulled large parts of it down. Don't know about the ground itself.

Hopefully it is but do you know of any way to find out.

AndrewP6
11-11-2013, 09:49 PM

I don't believe it is, no. Waverly Park is, Princes Park, Victoria Park, Glenferrie Oval grandstand all are.

You can nominate places, and search here (http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/vhd/heritagevic)

LostDoggy
11-11-2013, 11:25 PM
I believe the spot where Templeton kicked his 15th goal against St Kilda might be.

That is incorrect not always right, the spot where gubby Allen kicked across the goal to the Pieman is.:D

Twodogs
11-11-2013, 11:28 PM

Try ringing the City of Maribyrnong. They should know

Eastdog
27-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Try ringing the City of Maribyrnong. They should know

Emailed the City of Maribyrnong about the heritage listing of the Whitten Oval so Ill let you know what they say about it when they get back to me.

Twodogs
27-12-2013, 01:02 AM
Sure thing.

1eyedog
27-12-2013, 08:59 PM

I can find out. I have access to Heritage Victoria's HERMES database. I doubt it is although as Andrew says some of the structures may be...

Eastdog
30-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Got an email this morning from the City of Maribyrnong Urban Planning

Here is what they said about the Whitten Oval Heritage listing

The whiten oval is not in the Victorian Heritage register, however it’s got an heritage overlay H094 ref. to the palm trees, in case of development a planning permit would be required.

Hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Maria Pereira

mighty_west
30-12-2013, 03:55 PM
1,680 km's = 18 hrs, 6 mins drive.

Eastdog
14-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Bump for anyone that needs to update or hasn't answered. I reckon the mods should move this thread from the Music Board to the Footscray Football Club Board.

bulldogtragic
14-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Bump for anyone that needs to update or hasn't answered. I reckon the mods should move this thread from the Music Board to the Footscray Football Club Board.

If you want it moved Eastie, send one of the mods a PM mate.

Eastdog
01-09-2014, 12:58 AM
I was wondering is there are detailed street view in google maps of the Whitten Oval or can you only view on the outside on the roads from street view.

Twodogs
01-09-2014, 01:14 AM
Do you mean like a bird's eye view of the ground from above Eastie?

Eastdog
01-09-2014, 01:34 AM
Do you mean like a bird's eye view of the ground from above Eastie?

Like a more detailed ground level view? I believe there are some pubs on street view that have this feature where you can actually look inside it.

Webby
01-09-2014, 08:57 PM

I don't believe so. There is not a single structure at the WO which pre-dates 1970(ish). The Whitten and Gent Stands are pretty new. Unlike Carlton, who just kept building new stands next to their old ones, we, for some reason, demolished the old members stand to erect what became the Whitten Stand in its place.

Does anyone remember the old stand which stood partly across where both the Whitten and Gent now sit?