PDA

View Full Version : Jarrad Grant

GVGjr
19-01-2009, 11:58 AM
What is a realistic goal for Grant this year?

To in the NAB cup and 10 plus senior games for the Dogs
or
To play the NAB cup and 5 to 10 senior games?
or
5 to 10 senior games in the home and away season?
or
Just a solid season with Williamstown and 5 senior games with the Dogs?

Give his limited pre-season and his build I would be more than happy with the latter but I get the impression that the expectation of a number of supporters is more in line with the first option.

From what I have seen so far this pre-season I think he is going to need this year to continue to develop but there really does appear to be a lot of hype and expectation on him.

craigsahibee
19-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Rocket expects 10+ games from Grant this year

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4141

strebla
19-01-2009, 12:20 PM
I expect him to be ready later in the year so I too will go for the last option plus a final

azabob
19-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Consistant competative football at Williamstown. If he plays AFL all good and well, if he doesnt it is no big deal as long as he is making progress at Williamstown that is the key.

Bulldog Revolution
19-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Consistant competative football at Williamstown. If he plays AFL all good and well, if he doesnt it is no big deal as long as he is making progress at Williamstown that is the key.

I'm inclined to agree with that.

I dont see our 2009 premiership hopes as relying on Grant.

He's missed a fair bit of footy and adjusting to being a key forward at a senior level will take a bit of time I'd suspect

I will be very pleased if he debuts in 2009 because it suggests he is on the right track

lemmon
19-01-2009, 03:28 PM
I would be happy with a big year at Willi and a debut for the dogs. IMO that will be a good year coming off OP

The Bulldogs Bite
19-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I will be very pleased if he debuts in 2009 because it suggests he is on the right track

My line of thinking too. If he cracks a couple of games, then he's certainly doing well and is headed on the right track.

I was a little surprised by Eae's comments, though they might serve as encouragement for Grant rather than 'fact'. When I saw him before christmas, he looked very light and was at the back of most packs. He was obviously on a modified training program, due to his OP that he had, but I still think he looked 1-2 years off having any sort of impact. So for mine, if he manages to play a few games at AFL level, then he's passing expectations. The biggest key for him is to have a good year at Williamstown - that's most important.

Desipura
19-01-2009, 04:53 PM
My line of thinking too. If he cracks a couple of games, then he's certainly doing well and is headed on the right track.

I was a little surprised by Eae's comments, though they might serve as encouragement for Grant rather than 'fact'. When I saw him before christmas, he looked very light and was at the back of most packs. He was obviously on a modified training program, due to his OP that he had, but I still think he looked 1-2 years off having any sort of impact. So for mine, if he manages to play a few games at AFL level, then he's passing expectations. The biggest key for him is to have a good year at Williamstown - that's most important.
Will be given every opportunity initially as a 3rd forward. We need to build a forward line for the future given that Welsh, Johnno and Aker will not be a part of it in the next 1-3 years

ledge
19-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Will surprise all and play all games and kick 50-60 goals!
Following in the foot steps of C.G and K.T.
Both were skinny and they say things happen in 3s

bornadog
19-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Realistically, a hand full of games to get some experience would be great.

LostDoggy
19-01-2009, 09:32 PM
The question is not if Grant makes his debut this year, but WHEN.

Will Rocket throw him in against a team like Geelong or Hawthorn, or will he give him a taste of AFL footy by selecting him for a game against teams like Melbourne and West Coast at the Dome? I'd say he'd have a greater chance of having a confidence boosting debut against a "lowly" team like Melbourne, after all, Melbourne will have enough problems trying to cover all of the dogs forwards, Grant maybe able to slip through with a couple of good marks and goals.

Topdog
19-01-2009, 10:20 PM
I would be happy with a big year at Willi and a debut for the dogs. IMO that will be a good year coming off OP

This!

Hopefully gets a bit of a taste in the NAB and then works hard during the year to earn his spot.

LostDoggy
19-01-2009, 11:05 PM
He seems lazy to me but Rocket has obviously seen something in him. Hope he does turn out to be the messiah then again he could be a clayton's selection.

bornadog
19-01-2009, 11:41 PM
He seems lazy to me but Rocket has obviously seen something in him. Hope he does turn out to be the messiah then again he could be a clayton's selection.

What makes you say Lazy?

KT31
20-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Will surprise all and play all games and kick 50-60 goals!
Following in the foot steps of C.G and K.T.
Both were skinny and they say things happen in 3s

We are two flags short then.

Cyberdoggie
21-01-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't expect much from him to be honest.

I think we'll see more of Roughead and Ayce Cordy and Jarryd Grant.

Mind you i think they will all be at Williamstown seniors for the year.

Grant struggled in the few games he played there last year, only glimpses of his ability were seen, and to me he struggled playing against men. I don't see that changing this year due to the fact he weights about the same as a supermodel.

The extra fitness might help him though.

So i'm guessing perhaps a nab cup debut but 0 dogs games.

I don't see our young talls getting many games at Senior level.
For me i'd expect to see Wood, Ward, O'Keefe, Reid, Stack, Lynch push for senior selection.

Desipura
21-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't expect much from him to be honest.

I think we'll see more of Roughead and Ayce Cordy and Jarryd Grant.

Mind you i think they will all be at Williamstown seniors for the year.

Grant struggled in the few games he played there last year, only glimpses of his ability were seen, and to me he struggled playing against men. I don't see that changing this year due to the fact he weights about the same as a supermodel.

The extra fitness might help him though.

So i'm guessing perhaps a nab cup debut but 0 dogs games.

I don't see our young talls getting many games at Senior level.
For me i'd expect to see Wood, Ward, O'Keefe, Reid, Stack, Lynch push for senior selection.
So basically you do not believe Eade will give him games even though he stated that he expected Grant to play 10+ games?

GVGjr
21-01-2009, 08:54 PM
So basically you do not believe Eade will give him games even though he stated that he expected Grant to play 10+ games?

It's Eade job to talk up the players and if everything goes well he might play 10 plus games. I'm guessing that Cyberdoggie's views are based on what he has seen of Grant and the fact that he is still physically underdeveloped. For what it's worth, I think 10 plus games this year is optimistic.
I also think he is more likely to get that many games if we aren't playing that well. At full strength, with a normal run of injuries and form like last season I think Grant will still struggle to play more than 6 games.

Mantis
21-01-2009, 09:43 PM
At his stage of development Jarrad will be competing with the likes of Welsh, Hahn & perhaps Tiller ( if played forward) for the role of the 'in between' forward. If Welsh in particular struggles with form/ fitness I could see Grant filling his role.

mighty_west
21-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Hopefully Grant gets a few pre season games in, without being overally consistant in the few times i saw him down at Willy, really impressive hands & lead and ability to take a pack mark, like i have said a few times, the kid has superglue stuck to his hands.

Grant at FF, Cordy & Roughead switching from ruck to forward line as well as Jones at CHF [looks a natural CHF going by the Youtube video's], can we fast forward a few seasons so they catch up to the likes of Coons, Griff, Higgins etc? :p

By all reports, the Bombers are going in with a pretty young squad for the Darwin clash, perfect opportunity to give some of the old stagers a night off and blood a few more pups.

Looks like the sting rays have targeted someone else this time as well!!!

Cyberdoggie
22-01-2009, 11:29 AM
It's Eade job to talk up the players and if everything goes well he might play 10 plus games. I'm guessing that Cyberdoggie's views are based on what he has seen of Grant and the fact that he is still physically underdeveloped. For what it's worth, I think 10 plus games this year is optimistic.
I also think he is more likely to get that many games if we aren't playing that well. At full strength, with a normal run of injuries and form like last season I think Grant will still struggle to play more than 6 games.

Yep that's pretty much my thinking.

I don't really see how a player like Grant can feature in the side if we start the year well.

He would have to improve massively, and being a tall forward you just can't hide in the background, you have to perform. It's ok to give players like Hill, Reid, Harbrow, Ward a little bit of game time on the wing somewhere for their first games, but for Grant we will have to put him up forward and he'll have to contribute to goals.

If we were flying and playing a rabble like Melbourne, and Grant was in form then he might start to get a look in but if we are at full strength he won't feature much this year.

For me this year for Grant is about being a focal point at Williamstown. He will probably be the main tall forward there, Ayce Cordy might even be there with him, so he will be tested.

always right
29-01-2009, 12:06 AM
A little late joining the discussion but hey...

If people are expecting Grant to come into the side and play key position, they are off the mark. I suspect we'll see him coming in at some stage and playing as a floating forward, picking up the sixth defender....probably spending some time off the bench. This would be ideal if we can afford to do this.

Some have said he struggled a little with Williamstown. I wouldn't take too much notice of this. Grant could be like many before him who just don't stand out at VFL level but throw him into the seniors with talented players around him and delivering the ball, and it's a different ball game. He could slip under the guard of opposition teams initially.

LostDoggy
01-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Grant is your typical FF, and is the leading forward we have been after.

I don't expect big things from him this year, but a couple of seniors games definitely.

In the next couple of years i fully expect him to be playing out of the goal square, as our main target in the forward 50.

Remi Moses
02-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Gotta get some games into the boy this year,and as stated previously not going to be the key to us winning a flag.I've heard he's very comfortable in his own skin,i'd say big deal.

Dancin' Douggy
02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
I reckon Dermie, EJ and Buddy are (or were) all pretty damn comfortable in their skins. Bring it on.

LostDoggy
02-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Throw him in there rd 1, I think we have to play him in the forward pocket just like Port did/still does with Justin Westoff.

In comparison: Westoff: 199cm, 87 kilo's, shoulder width 27cm, kicked 22.15 from 21 games in 08, Grant couldnt be to far off that performance. Worst case scenario he takes a tall defender. Just have Harbrow/Ward at his feet at every contest.

Sockeye Salmon
02-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Throw him in there rd 1, I think we have to play him in the forward pocket just like Port did/still does with Justin Westoff.

In comparison: Westoff: 199cm, 87 kilo's, shoulder width 27cm, kicked 22.15 from 21 games in 08, Grant couldnt be to far off that performance. Worst case scenario he takes a tall defender. Just have Harbrow/Ward at his feet at every contest.

Worst case scenario is he totally wrecks a shoulder and misses the season getting a reconstruction. Westhoff was 21 when he debuted remember.

LostDoggy
02-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Worst case scenario is he totally wrecks a shoulder and misses the season getting a reconstruction. Westhoff was 21 when he debuted remember.

He could 'wreck a shoulder' playing reserves at Williamstown.

Sockeye Salmon
02-02-2009, 11:41 PM
He could 'wreck a shoulder' playing reserves at Williamstown.

You don't think the opposition might be a bit bigger in the AFL, genius?

alwaysadog
02-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Let's stop thinking stereotypes, does he have no mobility/agility? Why should he have to start as a KPP just because he has Chris Grant height?

The great man himself started on the HFF before he grew into his body. I don't know if the current J. Grant deserves a spot yet, but if Rocket is talking him up then I suspect it is more than hype and he has seen something he likes irrespective of the mind games he might play to achieve it.

soupman
02-02-2009, 11:54 PM

What's with the sarcasm?

alwaysadog
03-02-2009, 12:00 AM
What's with the sarcasm?

Sometimes it's best to make no comment.

LostDoggy
03-02-2009, 09:35 AM

Injuries normally are freak accidents. How many people has Will Minson, Aaron Sandilands or Jonathon Brown injured? No more than anyone else. Sure he might get pushed around more, but i wouldnt think the chances of serious injury were any greater.

LostDoggy
03-02-2009, 11:24 AM

And still pint-sized

mighty_west
03-02-2009, 01:08 PM

I think Tom Williams proves that you don't have to be a skinny runt to have bad injuries, Matty Robbins as well, then again, i couldn't imagine Grant taking on Jackovich head on.

I believe in this day & age, there are so many more younger & skinnier kids playing than say even 5 or 10 years ago, teams can get away with blooding first or second year players this day & age, even the real skinny ones, and if anything, i think it would be good for young Grant to get a few knocks & bumps to show what it's like at that level, and if it means he gets a few injuries, well so be it, it might harden him up somewhat.

Thats not saying i think he's soft, just that most kids don't know what it's really like at the top level.

Rob Murph was just as skinny as Grant is now, and Cords is even skinnier, he'd be a show later in the season.

LostDoggy
13-02-2009, 10:00 PM
i am now a big fan of Jarrod Grant after that tackle.

Griffo
13-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Kicking's a bit off, but that'll come good.

Granty will get more than a few games this year, on tonight's performance so far, but with that light build they'll have to look after him.

Can't wait to see more of him.

LostDoggy
14-02-2009, 12:25 AM
i am now a big fan of Jarrod Grant after that tackle.

Same.

His hair looks like its been drawn on with a black permanent marker.
(not an insult or compliment...just stating irrelevant things that come to mind when I watch him)

I was kind of worried about how he'd go (he's so skinny, wouldn't he get crushed?! etc), but he was fine tonight!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Same.

(not an insult or compliment...just stating irrelevant things that come to mind when I watch him)

I was kind of worried about how he'd go (he's so skinny, wouldn't he get crushed?! etc), but he was fine tonight!

How did you find time to notice his hair Sophie, what with thinking about how dreamy Higgins looks and all?:p

Grant does looks like he can go alright thought doesn't he, irrespective of his spaghetti arms and legs!

Templeton31
14-02-2009, 12:31 AM
he showed a bit tonight. seemed to know where to go and when and took 1 or 2 nice marks.

best performance by a Dog tall fwd since Patrick Wiggins kicked 3 against Melbourne. ;):D

LostDoggy
14-02-2009, 12:36 AM
How did you find time to notice his hair Sophie, what with thinking about how dreamy Higgins looks and all?:p

Haha, I notice hair a lot for some reason. Not a fan of Gilbee's new cut. Or shave or whatever.

But yes, Grant does have stick arms. Kind of looks like they'd snap. But we'd hope not! Obviously really really really hope not.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-02-2009, 12:39 AM
he showed a bit tonight. seemed to know where to go and when and took 1 or 2 nice marks.

best performance by a Dog tall fwd since Patrick Wiggins kicked 3 against Melbourne. ;):D

I thought Wiggo's best performance for the Dogs was in the training shed.. when he downed a bottle of gatorade teeming with ants as a bet. Bluuuurk!!!

NoseBleed
14-02-2009, 01:18 AM
First player to kick a supergoal with his first kick on debut?

GVGjr
14-02-2009, 01:20 AM
First player to kick a supergoal with his first kick on debut?

If he had kicked a genuine supergoal then that would be something to get excited about.

Mantis
14-02-2009, 01:29 AM
If he had kicked a genuine supergoal then that would be something to get excited about.

Yep, the doubt's on his ability to finish look genuine. Still he looked pretty good in creating these chances.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-02-2009, 01:32 AM
Yep, the doubt's on his ability to finish look genuine. Still he looked pretty good in creating these chances.

Is this fixable? You hear alot that it's very hard to change a guys natural kicking style (eg Buddy) if so then Grant could be very frustrating as a Key Forward for us.
If we're not able to improve his set shot kicking we may need to look to develop him as a defender. He certainly has good hands, pace and positioning.
How is his general field kicking?

GVGjr
14-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Is this fixable? You hear alot that it's very hard to change a guys natural kicking style (eg Buddy) if so then Grant could be very frustrating as a Key Forward for us.
If we're not able to improve his set shot kicking we may need to look to develop him as a defender. He certainly has good hands, pace and positioning.
How is his general field kicking?

It's fixable but not an easy fix in my opinion. I think a lot of his problems center around his concentration not necessarily the mechanics of his kicking action.

LostDoggy
14-02-2009, 01:46 AM
I thought he played well last night. He looks like he can take a grab, and he seemed to contest the ball well. I dunno how he looked on TV

The Bulldogs Bite
14-02-2009, 01:47 AM
One thing he needs to do is take a better run up. He's trying to gain balance and kick accurately all off two or so steps. Too much room for error/nerves.

GVGjr
14-02-2009, 01:52 AM
One thing he needs to do is take a better run up. He's trying to gain balance and kick accurately all off two or so steps. Too much room for error/nerves.

I'd like to see him played on a wing for a few games for Williamstown when his fitness base improves so that his field kicking becomes a strength. He can work on his goal kicking at training so playing further up the ground won't hurt him at all.

Remi Moses
14-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Probably the highlight of the night. looks extremely footy smart ,kicking was awful tonight.

NoseBleed
14-02-2009, 03:14 AM

Last time I looked at the scoreboard, it was a genuine supergoal.

If he'd kicked it from outside 50, that would have been even more impressive.

The glass isn't always half empty because 50% of its volume is air.

GVGjr
14-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Last time I looked at the scoreboard, it was a genuine supergoal.

If he'd kicked it from outside 50, that would have been even more impressive.

The glass isn't always half empty because 50% of its volume is air.

He got the bonus of a 50mtr penalty and if you believe that he still deserves an added pat on the back for his supergoal then that's not really setting the bar all that high in my opinion. Now if he had kicked a genuine supergoal from outside of 50mts then I would have been impressed by it.

craigsahibee
14-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Same.

His hairstyle is the same as some of my kids lego characters.

The Coon Dog
14-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Still reckon he looks like Spock!

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8377/21028483ps6.jpg

Bulldog Revolution
14-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Kicked the ball like a forward in warmup, deliberate and straight, however obviously didn't in the game

Nonetheless a promising cameo, clearly showed he has good hands, some spring in the legs and was solid up the ground

craigsahibee
14-02-2009, 11:14 AM
No better way to gain confidence at AFL level than to play on Adam McPhee.

Scorlibo
14-02-2009, 11:18 AM
I think we should give Jarrad a few more opportunities before we label him as a bad shot at goal, it was his first match and those behinds could be put down to nerves.
Futhermore, his kicking efficiency in the TAC Cup was ELITE at 87% and his goal kicking accuracy was fine at 61%.

Mofra
14-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Given how far Addison's kicking seems to have come, I wouldn't write off a 19yo playing his first senior pre-season game of football.

How sticky are the kid's hands though! He seems to be only a further pre-season away from best 22 one the basis of his overhead marking. Natural forward too.

Happy Days
14-02-2009, 11:28 AM
He could've just been having an off night...

G-Mo77
14-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Still reckon he looks like Spock!

He does. :D

LostDoggy
14-02-2009, 11:50 AM
I can't believe some of you people, it was his first AFL game after battling injury.

You can see clearly that this guy is going to be something special.

Mantis
14-02-2009, 03:03 PM
He could've just been having an off night...

I don't think so.

The doubts on Grant are with his ability to contribute on the scoreboard when he has a quiet day/ night. There will be times when he has 5 or 6 kicks for a game, maybe less and we need him to be able to convert his chances at 60 or 70%.

And I'm not talking about now I'm talking about in 2 or 3 years time.

Griffo
14-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Well that's it then. It's confirmed his kicking is no good & won't get any better, he will only get 5 or 6 kicks kicks a game, & generally won't contribute.

Lucky we have these experts who can work all this out after his FIRST pre-season game.

I say delist him now and we won't have to worry about him any more.

GVGjr
14-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Well that's it then. It's confirmed his kicking is no good & won't get any better, he will only get 5 or 6 kicks kicks a game, & generally won't contribute.

Lucky we have these experts who can work all this out after his FIRST pre-season game.

I'm not seeing the same sort of negativity that you seem to be reading into this thread. Overall I'd say the sentiment is very positive so I'm not sure why you aren't reading it that way. Like 99% of youngsters playing their first serious game he has some areas for improvement (Physical and Skill wise) that he and the club needs to work on. Do you not think he needs to keep improving?

LostDoggy
14-02-2009, 05:27 PM
his tackle in the first quarter was amazing. It was a great way to start. Chase down some really quick guy from behind and kick a supergoal (with his first kick?) If he could do that consistently I'd be happy.

Mantis
14-02-2009, 06:38 PM

Good work hot shot.:rolleyes:

As GVG has pointed out there are plenty of positives in this thread about what we saw with Jarrad last night. He looked very exciting, but undid much of his good work with poor converting. Hopefully this can be improved in time.

The Coon Dog
14-02-2009, 06:39 PM

Griffo,

Bit harsh on Mantis there Griffo! Late last year Mantis flagged concerns about Grant's ability to convert. What he said above is highlights where the club do have concerns.

On Grant:

They seem to believe he is best suited as a leading FF as he is very quick off the mark & has a great set of hands. There were some doubts about his kicking in that he lacks some penetration (struggles from 50m) and also with his accuracy; mentioned that if he has a quiet game and only gets 4 kicks he has to be able to convert the bulk of these. The development guys will be working heavily on his kicking techniques thru the pre-season.

As an aside, I thought your comments were petulant to say the least & not in keeping with the standards set on this board.

lemmon
14-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Hopefully he develops into a fevola esque player (on field). Fantastic pace, he seems to move so well. I wouldve liked to see him matched up on Fletcher a bit (yes i know, impossible to orchestrate) as I'm sure he wouldve picked up a few tricks playing on one of the best FB's of the past 10 years.

Mantis
14-02-2009, 06:51 PM
And further to the point I thought Grant was our biggest positive last night for the following reasons:

* The kid has a great set of hands.

* His work-rate (which I have heard being questioned) was very good evidenced by his chasing and his 2nd & 3rd efforts.

* He reads the play well, as evidenced by his mark in the first qtr from the Eagleton mongrel punt ( hardly surprising)

* He is willing to move up and down the ground to create an option which is a great asset.

There is no doubt Jarrad will play a big role in our forwardline for many years to come.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-02-2009, 07:02 PM

Hey Griffo,

I think what sets this place apart from some others is that criticism of a player, providing it is not done with malice, is made without too much emotion and can be qualified with examples is OK. It's often a great starting point for a debate.
If however it's just nasty, spiteful and presented without any qualification then it may not be well received.

The concerns over Grants conversion from kicking is a valid observation and has been a query since we drafted him, and a few here who have seen Grant in his limited opportunities with Williamstown have noted the areas he needs to work on.

I think that everyone was impressed by several aspects of his game last night, and I don't think that people highlighting he has some work to do on other areas is an unfair or particularly negative observation to make.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-02-2009, 07:04 PM
And further to the point I thought Grant was our biggest positive last night for the following reasons:

* The kid has a great set of hands.

* His work-rate (which I have heard being questioned) was very good evidenced by his chasing and his 2nd & 3rd efforts.

* He reads the play well, as evidenced by his mark in the first qtr from the Eagleton mongrel punt ( hardly surprising)

* He is willing to move up and down the ground to create an option which is a great asset.

There is no doubt Jarrad will play a big role in our forwardline for many years to come.

Nail and head, Mantis.

Every aspect of Grant's game was very exciting, he seems to have ALL the tools, and so if he can improve his kicking penetration (which should come with strength) and his accuracy then he's going to become a good quality KPF for many years.

mighty_west
14-02-2009, 07:06 PM
What we saw with young Jarrad was what i saw last year early on for Willy, his ability to read the play is outstanding, which is exactly what you need for a key forward and has the stickiest of hands i have ever seen, has a great reach as well, and quick as we saw with that chase down & tackle, inspiring stuff, so we know he is going to be a very good leading forward, but can also outmark players 3 times the weight of himself by his footy smarts.

Was great to see the guys really pump him up after his goal & after the 3 qtr time siren, especially Hudson who wrapped his arms around him in encouragement, also the way he went in for that low ball, was heavily collected, but got straight up [i thought it was lights out at the time].

His goal kicking is questionable, but some of those shots were pretty tough, he's the type of player that plays better at a higher level i believe, could go back to Willy and just coast along.

LostDoggy
14-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Well done to the kid I reakon at this stage I am not to worried about the missed shots he looked a bit nervous as any one would have been and they weren't as though they were the easiest of shots either. I am sure the conversion will improve in time.

I am with everyone one the already documented positives but I just love it when you see a forward chase down a running defender and you know its going to happen just brilliant.

He has had the taste al be it nab cup so lets hope it fuels the hunger even more so.

soupman
14-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Well according to a certain regular Bulldogs player Grant is normally a very good kick for goal at training, and coupling this with others saying that he was exceptionally nervous before the game I think his kicking for the night can be forgiven.

I was very impressed by him, he seems to judge the flight of the ball well and could be a very dangerous forward pocket at this stage in his development. I'm very much looking forward to seeing him play 10+ games this year.

lemmon
15-02-2009, 01:56 AM
Well according to a certain regular Bulldogs player Grant is normally a very good kick for goal at training, and coupling this with others saying that he was exceptionally nervous before the game I think his kicking for the night can be forgiven.

I was very impressed by him, he seems to judge the flight of the ball well and could be a very dangerous forward pocket at this stage in his development. I'm very much looking forward to seeing him play 10+ games this year.

Thats what i remember hearing around the time he was drafted that his kicking and conversion were one of his strong points.

LostDoggy
15-02-2009, 01:25 PM
I like him. i really hope hes the answer the bulldogs have been looking for.
I cannot wait to see him charging out of the goal square as our big forward.

GVGjr
15-02-2009, 01:49 PM
I like him. i really hope hes the answer the bulldogs have been looking for.
I cannot wait to see him charging out of the goal square as our big forward.

FWIW, I don't think he is the total answer for the club because we will need to find and develop a couple of other guys to support him as well. Even players like Brown and Franklin need support of other key forwards and guys like Riewoldt can't carry a team themselves.

It was a very promising effort but he will need time before he can really make a big difference for us.

mighty_west
15-02-2009, 03:09 PM
FWIW, I don't think he is the total answer for the club because we will need to find and develop a couple of other guys to support him as well. Even players like Brown and Franklin need support of other key forwards and guys like Riewoldt can't carry a team themselves.

It was a very promising effort but he will need time before he can really make a big difference for us.

Off course he will, and i'm sure the likes of Cordy & Roughead etc will be developed to play alot of time up forward to help him out as much as he does the same, but he gives us some hope for the future, it's been a long time since we have had a real key forward.

alwaysadog
17-02-2009, 12:15 AM

Yes, there's a long way to go from a promising, if flawed beginning, to becoming the next big thing. I'm not so worried about his kicking I put that down to nerves, but as one swallow does not make a summer, so one NAB cup game doesn't make a career.

I think he showed glimpses of plenty but don't let's get ahead of where he's at. A few might like to recall the hype that surrounded Cam Wight after a couple of reasonable finals games a few years ago or countless others who have all too briefly flitted across the scene, anyone remember Brad Murphy's first game?

I think we need to hype him less and let him work his way through the next season or two without too much pressure.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Yes, there's a long way to go from a promising, if flawed beginning, to becoming the next big thing. I'm not so worried about his kicking I put that down to nerves, but as one swallow does not make a summer, so one NAB cup game doesn't make a career.

I think he showed glimpses of plenty but don't let's get ahead of where he's at. A few might like to recall the hype that surrounded Cam Wight after a couple of reasonable finals games a few years ago or countless others who have all too briefly flitted across the scene, anyone remember Brad Murphy's first game?

I think we need to hype him less and let him work his way through the next season or two without too much pressure.

Brad Murphy was a case of not having it mentally. He proved in his first game v Port Adelaide he had the ability, and even in the next couple of games, one against Essendon at the Dome in Round 22 I believe, that he certainly could play. I was real surprised he didn't take the next step. Instead, he took ten backwards because he didn't work not nearly hard enough. That's the thing though - ability alone won't get you there.

It's definitely important to at least find one other foil for Grant, be it Boumann, Cordy or whoever else. Certainly require a two tall effect, otherwise it'll be far too easy for opposition to shut Grant out of the game.

That's speaking a few years ahead though, for now he just needs to develop his game and work hard on his weaknesses.

alwaysadog
17-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Brad Murphy was a case of not having it mentally. He proved in his first game v Port Adelaide he had the ability, and even in the next couple of games, one against Essendon at the Dome in Round 22 I believe, that he certainly could play. I was real surprised he didn't take the next step. Instead, he took ten backwards because he didn't work not nearly hard enough. That's the thing though - ability alone won't get you there.

It's definitely important to at least find one other foil for Grant, be it Boumann, Cordy or whoever else. Certainly require a two tall effect, otherwise it'll be far too easy for opposition to shut Grant out of the game.

That's speaking a few years ahead though, for now he just needs to develop his game and work hard on his weaknesses.

Couldn't agree more FWIW. I think Brad listened to the wrong people who got him so far ahead of himself that he never got back to reality. I don't want this to happen to Jarrad.

LostDoggy
17-02-2009, 10:10 AM
I can think of at least one big man in the AFL who can't kick to save himself, yet has a fantastic pair of hands, gets plenty of the ball and can turn games.

Perhaps Grant can one day refine his kicking action and become an influence on games just like Richo. Heres hoping. All i know is i haven't been as excited about a tall young forward since his namesake came to our club.

Go_Dogs
17-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Thought Grant was very impressive - although he's still tiny. His goal kicking was a bit shaky during the match, but as others have commented during the warm ups he didn't look to bad (was right in the pocket near our seats). The person who I went with got a few photos of him goal kicking during warm ups so I'll see if I can get a hold of them.

His work ethic and ability to cover the ground was impressive. Still gets knocked off the ball too easily, and won't be much more than a bit player this year, but certainly seems to have all the tools to make some sort of impact this season - but more so in coming years. Took a pretty heavy hit too and although in some discomfort it was pleasing to see him trying to stay on the field and compose himself.

Mofra
17-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I can think of at least one big man in the AFL who can't kick to save himself, yet has a fantastic pair of hands, gets plenty of the ball and can turn games.

Perhaps Grant can one day refine his kicking action and become an influence on games just like Richo. Heres hoping. All i know is i haven't been as excited about a tall young forward since his namesake came to our club.
Richo's accuracy percentages are too far out of whack in comparison to many other top forwards though.

Another example of initial impression staining a player for the rest of his career.

ledge
17-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Sadly Richo playing at Richmond found himself going out to the wing to get kicks and having a lot of shots from hard angles.

We all look at accuracy but do we look at where they had most of their shots?

I think a lot of it depends on game plan by coaches and whether they are told to lead straight up eg Lloyd, Lockett, Brown.
Some are told to lead to pockets, which i think Richo has done a lot of.
I seriously believe you put Richo in Brisbanes side in the early 2000s he probably would have kicked 300 goals in 3 years.
A lot depends on delivery too and how good your centremen are at precise kicking.

ledge
17-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I do enjoy watching Aker kick, he doesnt actually kick it as such, its more a push, he also never does banana kicks, watching him running into goal he guides and pushes the ball, its not a full on smack.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Sadly Richo playing at Richmond found himself going out to the wing to get kicks and having a lot of shots from hard angles.

We all look at accuracy but do we look at where they had most of their shots?

I think a lot of it depends on game plan by coaches and whether they are told to lead straight up eg Lloyd, Lockett, Brown.
Some are told to lead to pockets, which i think Richo has done a lot of.
I seriously believe you put Richo in Brisbanes side in the early 2000s he probably would have kicked 300 goals in 3 years.
A lot depends on delivery too and how good your centremen are at precise kicking.

Richo only moved to the wing last year. He's been a hot and cold shot for goal all his career, often missing bread and butter shots, not just from hard angles.

ledge
17-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Richo only moved to the wing last year. He's been a hot and cold shot for goal all his career, often missing bread and butter shots, not just from hard angles.

All through out his career he has had to push up the ground to get a kick, last year they actually named him out there.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-02-2009, 09:09 PM
All through out his career he has had to push up the ground to get a kick, last year they actually named him out there.

For sure, but I think his pot luck conversion rate when shooting for goal in gettable positions has been demonstrated over a long enough period it to be a confirmed issue.
I'm pretty sure he's even commented on it himself.

I heard a funny story about Richo after he got dragged for a very poor shot at goal. He was sitting on the bench next to a young player (I think it was young Raines) who was minding his own business... next thing Richo pipes up without any prompting "Oh I don't know why I do it Rainesy I just do, OK!"

He's a character is Richo!

hujsh
17-02-2009, 11:04 PM
For sure, but I think his pot luck conversion rate when shooting for goal in gettable positions has been demonstrated over a long enough period it to be a confirmed issue.

I heard a funny story about Richo after he got dragged for a very poor shot at goal. He was sitting on the bench next to a young player (I think it was young Raines) who was minding his own business... next thing Richo pipes up without any prompting "Oh I don't know why I do it Rainesy I just do, OK!"

Not hard to tell he's the oldest footballer in the league when he talks to himself

alwaysadog
18-02-2009, 10:49 PM

If it's true it's absolute gold; he's a one off and I can see why people love him.

Bulldog Revolution
19-02-2009, 09:39 AM

That said he has kicked almost 800 goals, if Grant gets close to that we'll be wrapt

alwaysadog
19-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Except for one season early in his career when he kicked 96 or 97 goals. Seems like an abberation, given what has happened since.

craigsahibee
19-02-2009, 12:14 PM
If it's true it's absolute gold; he's a one off and I can see why people love him.

I love Richo. He is one of my favourite (there isn't many) non - Bulldogs. When he's on he is fantastic to watch. When he's not it's downright hilarious.

bornadog
19-02-2009, 01:53 PM
That said he has kicked almost 800 goals, if Grant gets close to that we'll be wrapt

Half that, we will be wrapt.:D

LostDoggy
19-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Half that, we will be wrapt.:D

So Grant's only playing the next 4 seasons?:p

Mofra
19-02-2009, 08:43 PM
I love Richo. He is one of my favourite (there isn't many) non - Bulldogs. When he's on he is fantastic to watch. When he's not it's downright hilarious.
Yep - even Tigers fans heckle him, which is great.

At a game year before last, one of the Tigers was having a shot for goal, 30m out directly in front. He's coming in and a Tiger fan yells out "Kick it to Richo!" to roars of approval from the Tiger faithful.

I couldn't help yelling out "lead Richo!" a few second later. The only time Bulldogs & Tiger fans will ever unite (until Terry leaves Richmond and we start bitching about him together)

The Pie Man
19-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Yep - even Tigers fans heckle him, which is great.

At a game year before last, one of the Tigers was having a shot for goal, 30m out directly in front. He's coming in and a Tiger fan yells out "Kick it to Richo!" to roars of approval from the Tiger faithful.

I couldn't help yelling out "lead Richo!" a few second later. The only time Bulldogs & Tiger fans will ever unite (until Terry leaves Richmond and we start bitching about him together)

Too true - as much as I also have a soft spot for the Richo-man, he's responsible for one of my worst footballe viewing afternoons. We're the only team he kicked 10 against, and we would've been 5 goals up 5 minutes into the 3rd qtr if not for our ineptitude in front of goal. Sheez were frustrating under Peter Rhode.