PDA

View Full Version : Vale Ian Major

The Coon Dog
29-01-2009, 07:34 AM
The Major joins the Captain (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/the-major-joins-the-captain/2009/01/28/1232818534500.html)

http://www.realfooty.com.au/ffximage/2009/01/28/wbAFLcapmaj_narrowweb__300x430,0.jpg

RESPECTED radio broadcaster Ian Major died in Melbourne yesterday aged 65.

A highly regarded Australian rules commentator, he was voted the best sporting commentator in the country three times.

Major began calling VFL matches on 3XY then moved to 3KZ, where he stayed for 21 years and formed a renowned commentary partnership with former Richmond captain Jack Dyer. The pair were long known as "the Captain and the Major".

Major covered the 1972 Munich Olympics, the 1982 Commonwealth Games in Brisbane, the 1990 Commonwealth Games in Auckland and also worked as 3KZ's manager, program manager and assistant news editor.

Major later worked for radio stations Magic 693, 3UZ, 3LO, 3AK and SEN and was also chairman of the Commercial Radio Football sub-committee.

Broadcaster and columnist Tim Lane said Major's call on 3KZ of the 1970 grand final between Carlton and Collingwood was a model for professional sports broadcasting. "He was a terrific bloke, a great broadcaster and provided a perfect foil for Jack Dyer's verbal eccentricities," Lane said.

Major had been in remission last year after being diagnosed with non-Hodgkinson's lymphoma several years ago, but died suddenly after being admitted to hospital.

The father of three was married to Pam and had five grandchildren.

GVGjr
29-01-2009, 07:42 AM
He was a terrific commentator and a great football person.

Bulldog Revolution
29-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Did he also call with Harry Beitzel and Tommy Layuff for a while?

Did he call our games whilst we were at Whitten and then Optus?

Desipura
29-01-2009, 09:42 AM

Yes he called for 3WRB. Loved the sound of his voice over the radio waves as strange as that sounds.

GVGjr
29-01-2009, 09:49 AM

I'm not 100% certain that he called games with Harry on 3WRB but he might have. I certainly recall him calling games as Harry's replacement with Tommy Lahiff.

bornadog
29-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Gee he died young. I enjoyed his calls, he was great to listen to.

Templeton31
29-01-2009, 03:57 PM
"The Captain and the Major - for footy they're way ahead - thats Melbournes 3KZ!"

RIP Ian Major.

Tugun Goalsneak
29-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Ian Major was a true- blue Western Suburbs product, he grew up in Braybrook, and played under age football for the "Brookers", played at the same time as Georgie Bisset and Ivan Marsh.
Ian loved the Bulldogs, sport ion general, and radio. He spent his early years on country radio stations, from memory he worked at Cooma and Colac before returning to the city. He met his wife Pam while at Colac, and they had 3 lovely children Kelly, Darren and Scott.
Ian got his big break when he teamed up with Jack Dyer, and for the next 30 years they were the no. 1 Football broadcast team on Melbourne radio. I don't think that they ever relinquished the number one rating position in all that time, such was their ability to call the game, adding great humour and Jack's famous "one liners" to top off the afternoon.
Ian was always ready to give the Footscray lads a go, and after Ted Whitten retired, he joined Ian and Jack on 3KZ to call the games.
When Ted left them to take up the position of Sports director on 3GL Ian invited me to join the team, as I had just retired, and there began a very happy 10 years calling football alongside Ian and Jack.
Ian had a wonderful quality to his voice, it was deep, resonant and strong. He made the radio broadcast exciting, and before the days of televised games, listening to Ian and jack was as exciting as actually being at the footy.
One of the great memories for me was the "after - game celebrations" which were held at the John Curtain Hotel, just over the road from the 3KZ studios. Listening to Jack Dyer talk of his experiences over 20 or 30 beers was just a sheer delight, and many of the worlds problems were solved during thes sessions.
Ian retired from football broadcasting in about 1990, when 3KZ obtained an FM licence, and went to an all music format as Gold FM. Sadly no other radio station picked him up, but the so called personalities knew they could not compete with Ian's style and quality as a football broadcaster.
Ian's passing is a sad time for those that knew him, and also he is a sad loss to all Bulldogs supporters.
Goodbye Ian .......... 3KZ IS FOOTBALL!

The Coon Dog
29-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for sharing that with us TS.

Ian certainly was a delight to listen to & like Clinton Grybas' passing 12 months ago, football will be the poorer for their passing.

ledge
29-01-2009, 06:13 PM
I must say being a young kid and listening to him and Jack, i cant believe he was only 65.
This is sad, never knew he was a western suburbs boy, thanks for the insight TS.
It must have been some great times with Jack too, you were a very lucky man.

Templeton31
29-01-2009, 06:55 PM
a terrific tribute TS.

Sockeye Salmon
29-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Terribly sad news.

Ian and Jack were a wonderful team, I loved them.

RIP, Ian.

3KZ IS FOOTBALL!

aker39
02-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Finey has got a tribute on him now on SEN

TJW
06-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Pretty disappointed to read the Herald Sun and see tributes from Collingwood and North FCs but nothing from the Doggies. Maj was a big Doggies fan (kept it under his hat pretty well when he was a commentator).

GVGjr
06-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Pretty disappointed to read the Herald Sun and see tributes from Collingwood and North FCs but nothing from the Doggies. Maj was a big Doggies fan (kept it under his hat pretty well when he was a commentator).

He sure was a good Doggies man and as you say, his commentating remained unbiased.

Welcome aboard by the way.