PDA

View Full Version : Bit hot down there?

Dry Rot
29-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Watching news of the current heatwave in Melbourne and Adelaide made me wonder about training.

Do they just do some light stuff indoors somewhere or flog the poor bastards in the heat?

Is there a training benefit doing it in extreme heat?

LostDoggy
29-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Its f...ed here DR. I worked yesterday outside and i'm feeling the effects today.

I think the new ETC or is it ELC has a/c or huge fans.

Twodogs
29-01-2009, 11:38 AM
It's truly awful down here.

Dry Rot
29-01-2009, 11:49 AM
We copped 41 degrees + humidity the other day - shocker but at least it was only one day.

All this may stuff the 2010 vintage in Vic and SA - true disaster!

LostDoggy
29-01-2009, 11:53 AM
My 2009 vintage is stuffed. A lot of my tomatos got burnt.

LostDoggy
29-01-2009, 12:25 PM
We're going for the record today.

If it's going to be like his, it might as well be something you can talk to your grandkids about

"You call this hot???????????

You should have been here in 09"

The Underdog
29-01-2009, 12:30 PM
The thought of spending tonight in the Hi-Fi Bar is not that enticing anymore.

azabob
29-01-2009, 01:02 PM

Who's on there tonight? Im off to the forum tomorrow night.....

mighty_west
29-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Its f...ed here DR. I worked yesterday outside and i'm feeling the effects today.

It's just BS isn't it mate, i also work outdoors, have to until Saturday being my own business, the only think we can do is try & work as early as possible, but yeah, it's knocked me around somewhat, even with the 8.4 [i'm counting just to see how much i have over this week] litres of water i have taken in over the past 36 hours to hydrate & then re-hydrate.

Whats worse, is having the car parked in a hot sun [for the hour drive home], no underground parking in Pakenham, Koowee, Tooradin etc..LOL, and those sun shade things not doing a damn thing.

I feel sorry for those workmen standing holding stop & go signs for traffic, i'd rather be moving around in this extreme weather than just standing there, that would be tough.

bornadog
29-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Richmond trained in the heat yesterday. I hope our boys were sensible.

There are a couple of guys over the road demolishing a house and have been on the roof all morning, wow.

LostDoggy
29-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Our airconditioning at work has just stopped working

10c to 30c is awful

Stupid heat wave

The Underdog
29-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Who's on there tonight? Im off to the forum tomorrow night.....

TV On The Radio - sold out too. That venue's horrendous at the best of times.
Enjoy the Forum, I have it on good authority that the A/C there doesn't work:)

LostDoggy
29-01-2009, 01:35 PM

I'm at the concert hall for the David McComb/triffids do.

azabob
29-01-2009, 01:35 PM
TV On The Radio - sold out too. That venue's horrendous at the best of times.
Enjoy the Forum, I have it on good authority that the A/C there doesn't work:)

Yep dont like the HI-FI at all, Forum also be sold out.....

Dry Rot
29-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Richmond trained in the heat yesterday. .

Good for Terry's tan...

bornadog
29-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Good for Terry's tan...

Yes since he found out tanning salons are dangerous, he hasn't known what to do with himself.:D

LostDoggy
29-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Too hot in Adelaide, Big Day Out tomorrow, may be my last post...

Dry Rot
29-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes since he found out tanning salons are dangerous, he hasn't known what to do with himself.:D

How long has he got left on his contract?

Things might be getting hot down at Punt Rd for other reasons....

The Coon Dog
29-01-2009, 01:59 PM
How long has he got left on his contract?

Things might be getting hot down at Punt Rd for other reasons....

From memory this is his 5th year of a 5 year contract.

Dry Rot
29-01-2009, 02:28 PM
From memory this is his 5th year of a 5 year contract.

Thanks.

It will be getting hot for Terry down there.

mighty_west
29-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks.

It will be getting hot for Terry down there.

I'm actually forecasting Richmond & Carlton to perhaps be the suprise packets of 2009, Richmond showed some signs last season, plus the gave Hawthorn a spanking at the G late in the season, Terry might just have the last laugh afterall with his "5 year plan".

Go_Dogs
29-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Too hot in Adelaide, Big Day Out tomorrow, may be my last post...

Yeah, all you Melbournites whining, come try it down here...although really, I don't think we're much worse off than you lot at the moment.

A nice min of 33 last night was lovely, combined with no a/c at my house...I had a terrific sleep.

The Underdog
29-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Yeah, all you Melbournites whining, come try it down here...although really, I don't think we're much worse off than you lot at the moment.

A nice min of 33 last night was lovely, combined with no a/c at my house...I had a terrific sleep.

It's 44 here and 43 there according to the BOM. I'd say our rights to bitching about the weather are about even.

GetDimmaBack
29-01-2009, 09:00 PM
It's just BS isn't it mate, i also work outdoors, have to until Saturday being my own business, the only think we can do is try & work as early as possible, but yeah, it's knocked me around somewhat, even with the 8.4 [i'm counting just to see how much i have over this week] litres of water i have taken in over the past 36 hours to hydrate & then re-hydrate.

Whats worse, is having the car parked in a hot sun [for the hour drive home], no underground parking in Pakenham, Koowee, Tooradin etc..LOL, and those sun shade things not doing a damn thing.

I feel sorry for those workmen standing holding stop & go signs for traffic, i'd rather be moving around in this extreme weather than just standing there, that would be tough.

Westy, I was at our school's campus in Bald Hill Rd today when the power went down. Kids everywhere gagging in the heat. Imagine 30 kids in a non a/c classroom! A steady stream of parents were coming in to pick up their kids, which was a smart move. They should all go home when it gets to about 38, I reckon.
I was fortunate enough to have a midday meeting at the Drouin campus, which did have power...
Also found a crew doing roadworks b/w Tynong & NNG, and they were looking teriffic, as you can imagine. Especially the sign guys, as you mentioned.

Dunno how you're coping with it ATM. You have my admiration!

Happy Days
29-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Terry might just have the last laugh afterall with his "5 year plan".

Well 5 Year Plans worked out for the last blokes who used them...

bornadog
31-01-2009, 11:58 PM

Looks like your 40 plus degrees to continue for awhile. Time to move to Hobart I think.

Go_Dogs
01-02-2009, 10:29 AM
It's 44 here and 43 there according to the BOM. I'd say our rights to bitching about the weather are about even.

Haha. Yes, your one hotter day for the year!

Maybe we should all move to Hobart - those bastards are stealing all our power. I don't know how we got hooked up in your arrangement either way.

Twodogs
02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Well 5 Year Plans worked out for the last blokes who used them...

Stalin?

LostDoggy
02-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Stalin?

Who did he coach?

Twodogs
02-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Who did he coach?

Beria, Molotov, Kaganovich, Mikoyan, Kirov, Yagoda, Sergo, Vorishilov-a few more names as well

Twodogs
02-02-2009, 01:58 PM
My daughter left her doll's pram in the back yard last week. I had a look at it yesterday and the wheels had melted flat!

LostDoggy
02-02-2009, 06:17 PM
My daughter left her doll's pram in the back yard last week. I had a look at it yesterday and the wheels had melted flat!

I bet the Morning glory and all the other weeds there are still thriving.

The Coon Dog
07-02-2009, 05:47 PM
According to www.weather.com.au it was 46.9 a few mins ago.

GVGjr
07-02-2009, 05:56 PM

It's just brutal today. It's like walking around in a cloths dryer and the cool change cant hit soon enough in my opinion.

It must be incredibly difficult for clubs to organise appropriate training sessions in these conditions.

Raw Toast
07-02-2009, 08:51 PM
It's just brutal today. It's like walking around in a cloths dryer and the cool change cant hit soon enough in my opinion.

It must be incredibly difficult for clubs to organise appropriate training sessions in these conditions.

Cool change finally here - we got a few minutes of rain which was nice, but it's going to take ages for the house to cool down. The chooks, fruit trees and priority vegies seem to have survived, though most of the garden wishes it was in London about now...

Much better off than those in rural Vic atm - my brother in Warburton has just had to evacuate into the city centre as a new blaze starts in Wesburn and moves there way. Probably v few resources to deal with it as well.

Davoren reduced today's training load by about 30% as the morning went on, and I think it was all pretty much done by midday.

westdog54
07-02-2009, 09:45 PM

It is officially the hottest day in Melbourne since records began.

LostDoggy
08-02-2009, 01:33 AM
I thought we had bad conditions last week, but today was the worst ive ever seen it, walking around in a sauna(wel thats what it felt like) getting blown away, then the tiny bit of rain. So glad its voer for the day, cant inamgine how the firemen/women are coping with all the fires right now, they do such an awesome job.

Lets jsut hope we start g etting some rain to help put out those fires.

The Coon Dog
08-02-2009, 01:39 AM
cant inamgine how the firemen/women are coping with all the fires right now, they do such an awesome job.

Lets jsut hope we start g etting some rain to help put out those fires.

Good point M27, very easy to forget just what a great job those folk do, many of them are volunteers too, hope they get a favourable break with the weather.

GetDimmaBack
08-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Big day down here in West Gippsland yesterday. We evacuated about midday, but were back by 5:30. No losses in our little town, but it was pretty scary for a while.

It's been raining this morning, for which we are truly grateful. A few of our friends in outlying areas have been on watch all night, so the rain really helps.

At least as big as Ash Wednesday, this one.

bornadog
08-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Big day down here in West Gippsland yesterday. We evacuated about midday, but were back by 5:30. No losses in our little town, but it was pretty scary for a while.

It's been raining this morning, for which we are truly grateful. A few of our friends in outlying areas have been on watch all night, so the rain really helps.

At least as big as Ash Wednesday, this one.

Glad to hear you and the family are safe.

GetDimmaBack
08-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Glad to hear you and the family are safe.

Have been getting lots of local info this morning...

Apparently one property on the edge of town had a grassfire that looked like it was heading into town early yesterday arvo. Fortunately Elvis, the water dropping chopper, dumped a big load on it. Fire fighters believed it had the capacity to take out the whole town, given the winds that were blowing.
Although we evacuated, I didn't realise we came that close to disaster. My respect and admiration for the Emergency Services can't be measured. We owe them a great debt...