PDA

View Full Version : Setanta 'sports'

LostDoggy
06-02-2009, 05:55 PM
For those that haven't seen or read about it yet!
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=741633

Impressive left hook to Cloke's nose and right foot up the date.
Pity both are duds, funny stuff though.

mighty_west
06-02-2009, 06:56 PM
He just "cracked" didn't he [pardon the pun] :D, it was funny up until that part where he kicked him on the ground, that part was cowardly.

westdog54
06-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I heard about it on SEN on the way home, just saw the footage on Ten News.

There's a bit of push and shove in an intra-club (which is something that happens with us quite often and is perfectly healthy IMO), but this went way over any sort of 'competitive spirit' that exists. This was, pardon the expression, a dog act.

I'd be furious if one of our players did that to an oppenent. To do it to a teammate is absolutely inexcusable.

LostDoggy
06-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Even funnier is Fevola commenting on it, like he is a cool level headed type

mighty_west
06-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Even funnier is Fevola commenting on it, like he is a cool level headed type

At least Fev isn't a dog, he was the player that actually ordered Setanta off the ground as well.

LostDoggy
06-02-2009, 07:34 PM
You never know, Cloke may have done a doggidly act to initiate the scuffle, like placing a dirty sanchez on Setanta or the old testicle squeeze, Im not saying he deserved a kick as that's pretty low, but Im sure CLoke would have deserved it.

Either way thats pretty dam funny, the left hook had a little more intent to than Sam Newmans infamous slap.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-02-2009, 08:17 PM
... That looked bad. Real bad.

Puts a fair dint in Carlton's armour, even if they aren't angels, but in terms of promoting the game to children etc. I would expect a fair bit of an uproar.

Really pathetic act by Setanta - surely couldn't be kept on the list after that? They have to give him the bullet, or should, anyway.

LostDoggy
06-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Should give him 6wks for the pathetic punch.
And Cloke 4wks for acting.

lemmon
06-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Disgraceful act, if one of our blokes did this I would hope the club would sack them. Cant have this crap goin on around the club no matter who the player.

bulldogtragic
06-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Even happier Setanta for Farren was laughed at.

Hope the match review panel gives him what they gave Barry Hall.

Not sure what he was hoping to do with such a weak kick in the Cloke's date.

Rocket Science
06-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Not sure what he was hoping to do with such a weak kick in the Cloke's date.

Struck me as a "get up ya weak bastard" type of affair.

All rather unsightly and the feller's clearly got some anger issues, but wouldn't have thought it warrants pulling the pin on his career...his play alone should see to that.

Mofra
06-02-2009, 09:57 PM
They lose Carazzo for 8-10 weeks as well. Not a great day for Carlton.

Lucky I hate Carlton.

Rocket Science
06-02-2009, 10:05 PM
...and speaking of key losses to sworn enemies, ones heart must go out to the Dons and Andrew Welsh.

Remind me to send a slab of stubbies to whomever takes care of our groundkeeping.

The Coon Dog
06-02-2009, 10:33 PM
A Carlton supporting mate of mine reckons it's the first time he's ever seen one of Setanta's kicks hit the target!

Remi Moses
07-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Thank god we didn't end up with him. Ordinary footballer and will be cut loose .

Remi Moses
07-02-2009, 12:07 AM
...and speaking of key losses to sworn enemies, ones heart must go out to the Dons and Andrew Welsh.

Remind me to send a slab of stubbies to whomever takes care of our groundkeeping.

Knowing them they'll blame the ground.

GVGjr
07-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Interesting that Kouta has come out in defence of O'hAilpin.
Honestly a dust up between team mates must happen a fair bit but it's the kick that will concern the club and the AFL. Up to that point it could be excused as some vigorous play that just went too far but the kick will most lead to a long suspension and of course some counseling.

GetDimmaBack
07-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Feel a bit sorry for the bloke, actually...

Anyone who's played footy knows there's always a bit going on when two (or more) players have a "scuffle". Wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of Terry Wheeler's "squirrel grip" happening, or something like that. If there was, I would have belted Cloke too!

That wasn't a kick, either - it was a "don't do that again" reminder...but Sentata should have reminded him differently, because appearances are everything when a desperate media are on the hunt for a story. Australia's a slow news country, so this will go on for weeks, or until the media hound Sentata out of the game, maybe out of the country.

G-Mo77
07-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Everyone knows that all the Clokes need a good kick in the arse. Sentanta was just putting those words into action.

bornadog
07-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Everyone knows that all the Clokes need a good kick in the arse. Sentanta was just putting those words into action.

Funny how his brother was smashed in the face recently on holiday when he confronted some blokes making a racket on the floor above at his hotel. These sort of things are best left to management and hotel security, but smart aleck Cloke had to march up there and show his girl friend how tough he was and the boys up there gave him a kicking.

All the Clokes are smarty pants's but kicking a bloke while he is on the ground is a low act indeed. Couldn't happen at a nicer club:D

gohardorgohome
07-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Disgraceful act, if one of our blokes did this I would hope the club would sack them. Cant have this crap goin on around the club no matter who the player.

Didnt you see the footage of Minson and Skipper having a crack at each other in a praccy game a few years back. Nothing wrong with showing a bit of competitive spirit.

LostDoggy
07-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Could't happen to a nicer club;)

Topdog
07-02-2009, 03:22 PM
I guess I'm in the minority of people who thinks this is a massive over reaction.

GVGjr
07-02-2009, 03:47 PM
I guess I'm in the minority of people who thinks this is a massive over reaction.

Not really, except for the kick (which wasn't that hard) I think this would have played out fairly quickly. The kick is what the AFL and club will be hard pressed to defend if they don't take strong action.

LostDoggy
07-02-2009, 07:02 PM
They will sack cos he isn't very good imo, unlike north who think Edwards is good.

lemmon
07-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Didnt you see the footage of Minson and Skipper having a crack at each other in a praccy game a few years back. Nothing wrong with showing a bit of competitive spirit.

The blokes got priors and that kick was a low act, even the punch wasnt great Cloke wasnt expecting it and was on his knees. More going on there then just competitive spirit IMO.

westdog54
07-02-2009, 08:16 PM
They will sack cos he isn't very good imo, unlike north who think Edwards is good.

When last I looked Edwards didn't punch and kick a teammate on the field.

BulldogBelle
07-02-2009, 09:00 PM
The kick is what the AFL and club will be hard pressed to defend if they don't take strong action.

The punch bit didn't worry me as much but the kick took it to a new level, You would think that there will be a hefty penalty dished out. Guess time will tell.

Those Clokes have been in the news of late...maybe Jason should have a guard protecting him. :D

KT31
08-02-2009, 01:04 AM
At least Fev isn't a dog, he was the player that actually ordered Setanta off the ground as well.

He has been known to mark his territory.

LostDoggy
08-02-2009, 10:08 AM
When last I looked Edwards didn't punch and kick a teammate on the field.

Could easily argue what he done is worse, at least Setanta's was on the football field.

Mofra
08-02-2009, 01:47 PM
I must be in the minority - I thought the punch was worse than the kick.
Cloke was down, out of position, and was content to let the scuffle die off until Sultana's sucker-punch/roundhouse to the head.

westdog54
08-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Could easily argue what he done is worse, at least Setanta's was on the football field.

Perhaps, but I'm of the belief that what you do on the field, even in a practice match, says a lot more about your professionalism and mindset as a footballer than any off-field conduct.

I'm not for a moment excusing what Edwards did as I'm very big on the prevention and detection of drink driving, but the way I see it that matter will be settled in the courts, and he has received sanctions beyond the realm of what the average person might reasonably expect to receive.

GVGjr
08-02-2009, 03:30 PM
I must be in the minority - I thought the punch was worse than the kick.
Cloke was down, out of position, and was content to let the scuffle die off until Sultana's sucker-punch/roundhouse to the head.

The punch was much worse but the perception has always been that kicking is a no no. I still think the punches could have been written off far easier if the kick hadn't have followed. I think it's regarded as an act of thuggery because of the kick.

The Pie Man
08-02-2009, 08:40 PM

That looked Nathan Brown bad in the paper - the photo in the Herald Sun was kinda funny if you can find this kind of thing amusing) The kid who tackled him was on the ground next to Welsh looking at his ankle with this 'oooh that doesn't look right, what have I done?' look on his face.

It took me a fair few viewings to notice the quick right hand jab before the left arm round house to the chest/neck. Fair combo he threw, and the toe poke did have 'get up' look about it to me. I don't think that's a big deal, but plenty do and I woule never argue that point.

LostDoggy
09-02-2009, 11:46 AM

I'm with you.

Hadn't seen the video till a couple of minutes ago but had heard and read all about it and was expecting an explosive fight. Instead, saw a couple of boofheads pushing and shoving, and the 'kick', while inexcusable for a professional, was more like a shove with his foot.

While Setanta should definitely get a talking to and probably a couple of matches off to think about it, it's not quite a Barry Hall kinghit, is it.

See more argy bargy in a uni resisdential college over a long weekend.

The Coon Dog
09-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Setanta takes ban (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25028707-19742,00.html)

SETANTA O'hAilpin has accepted a four-games ban while Pie skipper Nick Maxwell hasn't decided if he'll challenge his suspension.

Carlton's Irish-born defender shocked the football world by punching and kicking teammate Cameron Cloke during an intra-club match last Friday.

The AFL gave him 325 demerit points for the punches and 250 for the kick, but his guilty plea reduced the sanction by 25 percent, meaning he'll miss four matches.

The Irishman has also been suspended indefinitely by Carlton and could still be sacked by the club. That means he is training the club's VFL affiliate, the Northern Bullants. He is also undergoing anger management with the club's psychologist.

Collingwood's Maxwell was hit with his ban for a front-on bump on Eagle Patrick McGinnity during the Magpies' win in Subiaco on Saturday.

While Maxwell's act was only given 325 demerit points, his carryover points and poor previous record means if he takes it to the tribunal and is found guilty, he risks a four-match ban.

As the incident occurred in the NAB Cup, the ban can be served in part or in full as long as Collingwood stay alive in the pre-season competition.

That means, if he takes the three-match ban and the Pies win through to the final of the NAB Cup, he would be eligible to play in Round 1 of the season proper.

O'hAilpin and Maxwell have until 11am tomorrow to decide whether they will take their cases to the AFL tribunal.

Stevo
09-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I reckon 4 weeks is about right for O'hAilpin.

ledge
09-02-2009, 10:38 PM
So does Ohalpins include NAB and practice matches, seeing as Maxwells was in an NAB cup match or does the AFL have different rules for different players.

The Coon Dog
09-02-2009, 10:43 PM
So does Ohalpins include NAB and practice matches, seeing as Maxwells was in an NAB cup match or does the AFL have different rules for different players.

Different riules for different circumstances. Maxwell's was in the NAB Cup so he can serve some/all of it in the NAB Cup, Setanta's wasn't so he can't.

ledge
10-02-2009, 12:12 AM
So its better to smack an opposition player during an NAB match than a team mate in an intraclub match.

KT31
10-02-2009, 12:33 AM
That looked Nathan Brown bad in the paper - the photo in the Herald Sun was kinda funny if you can find this kind of thing amusing) The kid who tackled him was on the ground next to Welsh looking at his ankle with this 'oooh that doesn't look right, what have I done?' look on his face.

It took me a fair few viewings to notice the quick right hand jab before the left arm round house to the chest/neck. Fair combo he threw, and the toe poke did have 'get up' look about it to me. I don't think that's a big deal, but plenty do and I woule never argue that point.

I didn't notice him shafting the club that had looked after him since he was a pup and then bag them on radio,put no effort into his last season for the club and then go onto get what he deserves, to win the next couple of wooden spoons.

The Coon Dog
10-02-2009, 08:23 AM
AFL Change of heart - suspension now includes NAB Cup (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/ohailpins-light-impost/2009/02/09/1234027955588.html)

From the article:

He accepted the offer even when it appeared it would rule him out of four home-and-away matches.

Last night, the AFL sent out a clarification that the suspension could also be served during the pre-season competition.

The AFL's change of heart, which it said was done after "further examination", means that if Carlton makes the NAB Cup grand final, as it did in 2007, it will have played four pre-season games and O'hAilpin's punishment would have been served.

Sedat
10-02-2009, 02:11 PM
If Setanta's little cheap kick has caused this much hot air and uproar, it's just as well that Dean McRae and Paul Dimmatina didn't have a camera following them during their infamous intra-club duel in the pre-season of 1997.

LostDoggy
10-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Setanta getting 4 weeks is a disgrace, give him 8 and all in the proper season

westdog54
11-02-2009, 08:44 PM
AFL Change of heart - suspension now includes NAB Cup (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/ohailpins-light-impost/2009/02/09/1234027955588.html)

From the article:

He accepted the offer even when it appeared it would rule him out of four home-and-away matches.

Last night, the AFL sent out a clarification that the suspension could also be served during the pre-season competition.

The AFL's change of heart, which it said was done after "further examination", means that if Carlton makes the NAB Cup grand final, as it did in 2007, it will have played four pre-season games and O'hAilpin's punishment would have been served.

Its official. The whole situation is officially a farce.

mighty_west
11-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Nothing really suprises me these days with the tribunal system, we all know his kick to Cloke didn't cause too much damage, but neither would someone spitting at another player, it's a "dog" act to kick a bloke lying on the ground no matter what injuries occur!

His 2 punches to Clokes face were probably worse than Halls punch on Staker, but the graphic tv images made things worse for Hall plus his colourful past, but also that kick....to get away with 4, all you can do is shake your head.

LostDoggy
12-02-2009, 09:21 AM
I don't see why he got reported by the AFL at all, its was an intra club game and therefore all discipline matters should have been handled by the club.

The Coon Dog
12-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't see why he got reported by the AFL at all, its was an intra club game and therefore all discipline matters should have been handled by the club.
Gotta be the AFL Ernie, club's just can't get past self interest. Could you imagine if it was Chris Judd who whacked a team mate in a practice match. Do you really think he'd cop a club imposed suspension?

LostDoggy
12-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Gotta be the AFL Ernie, club's just can't get past self interest. Could you imagine if it was Chris Judd who whacked a team mate in a practice match. Do you really think he'd cop a club imposed suspension?

Isn't the game a club sanctioned game? Could of been held behind closed doors.
If this is the case then no one would have known better.
Chris judd or anyone at Carlton, they hit themselves and are only hurting themselves.

Sockeye Salmon
12-02-2009, 11:36 AM
As soon as they appoint proper umpires it becomes the AFL's responsibility.

The Coon Dog
12-02-2009, 11:47 AM

And the fact it was videoed didn't help. The AFL had to be seen to act.

GVGjr
12-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Spot on. I heard an umpire on SEN say that once it is a sanctioned session they must follow their normal rules. They can turn a blind eye to a few things they might otherwise get involved with but O'hAilpin didn't leave them any room to move.