PDA

View Full Version : The search for the next captain?

GVGjr
10-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Who would be your recommendation to captain the side in 2010 providing Johnson hands it over?

Why do you think your selection is the best candidate?

hujsh
10-02-2009, 11:01 PM
This time again? Most common pole on a footy site. But i guess it's relevant with Johnno's comments.

GVGjr
10-02-2009, 11:05 PM
This time again? Most common pole on a footy site. But i guess it's relevant with Johnno's comments.

Yes there has been an article and a bit of discussion so it will be interesting to see who bobs up as the next captain in waiting.

wimberga
10-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Quite surprised Higgins wasnt an option here GVG?

BulldogBelle
10-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Daniel Cross is my choice, his work ethic is amazing and would inspire the others along. In saying that Gia is a close second he is very much respected amongst the group and would also be a good leader.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Gia for mine at this stage.

But come 2010, Higgins or Griffen might be ready. Doubtful, but who knows, a year's a long time in footy.

Gia fits the bill; he has great leadership qualities, the players by all reports really listen to what he has to say, and his performances on the field have been extremely good. 07 was a little disappointing, but his 05/06/08 seasons have been really impressive. Murph is a decent chance too, but he may be a little bit too laid back - so I'd probably pick Gia at a guess.

Hoping Higgins/Griff make a strive for the Captaincy soon though.

LostDoggy
11-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Boyd for mine just think he would make a good strong leader.

craigsahibee
11-02-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm tipping Cooney based on the fact that he will have a stellar finish to the year after a slow start due to a delayed pre season, capping it off with 2 medals on Grand Final day.

An increased level of maturity combined with a media friendly personality will mkake it easy for Rocket and Co. to make the decision if Johnno does relinquish the role.

Scraggers
11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Bobbie Murphy for me ... a better football brain you will never see; the man oozes quality both on and off the field :)

LostDoggy
11-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Boyd for mine just think he would make a good strong leader.

Same. He's so strong and for a bloke with not a great deal of natural talent (when you compare him to Coon, Griff, Smurf etc) he's a go-getter and stands up tall when he's needed. I would be MOST upset if it was to go to Gia. I just think he is plain soft.

Desipura
11-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Same. He's so strong and for a bloke with not a great deal of natural talent (when you compare him to Coon, Griff, Smurf etc) he's a go-getter and stands up tall when he's needed. I would be MOST upset if it was to go to Gia. I just think he is plain soft.

Welcome MRM, I think your comments above are more suited to another forum. We generally do not just criticise a player for the sake of it. You will find people here will pay more attention if you give reasons for critising a particular player.
Dont know if this is your first post, however its not one of the better first posts that I have read.

LostDoggy
11-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Griff is the only player on that list apart from Cooney who is able to grab a game with both hands and wrest control of it, shaping it with sheer will, but he also seems the more intentional player, taking the game on at every opportunity.

I say take a leaf out of South Africa's book and promote our next captain young. It's not as if he won't have the respect of the dressing room.

Alternate choice would be Crossy just for the example he sets, but not sure he has the same game-day influence as some of the more explosive players.

Cyberdoggie
11-02-2009, 04:17 PM
I think you need to consider several things when choosing a captain.

it's just about who's the best player on your list.
Sometimes the best player can be the worst leader.

You need to consider that person's leadership abilities:

* Communication skills: how they talk to the media and players
* Inspirational/corageous: needs to inspire other players around them
* Marketability: someone you can sell your club on
* Respect amongst the players: If the players don't like you or don't respect you then your not captain material.
* Determination/willingness to succeed: Someone who can put in the hard work required on and off the field, someone who lives and breathes footy and wants nothing more than a premiership for the WB's.

basically you need someone who can talk, someone who a consistent and inspirational player on the field, and someone who commands the respect of the playing group.

I don't think we have any clear standouts in all categories.
It's very hard to judge from outside the club just how each player sits in the group. We supporters may think a particular player is a great choice but we don't see them off the field. We don't see how they fit in the group and if the younger players look up to them. Or if they are a loner and stick to themselves and don't have many friends?.

Here's my review on the main contenders.

Murphy:
*communication skills: 9
*I/C: 8
*Marketability: 10
* Respect: 7
*Determination: 10

Total 44

*Bob Murphy can talk, we've all read his articles etc but is he seen as a bit of an alternative type or a joker amongst the group?. He's got the determination and club wouldn't have a problem using him as their poster boy. Bob does try his heart out on the field although injuries have slowed him down a little.

Gia:
*communication skills: 5
*I/C: 5
*Marketability: 7
* Respect: 9
*Determination: 8
total: 34

*Gia to me isn't much of a talker and i couldn't see him offering anything in leadership on the field. He does try at times but he often misses crucial set shots and his tackles get broken easily. Seems like a nice guy and no doubt loves his footy. Not captain material for me.

Cooney:
*communication skills: 7
*I/C: 7
* Respect: 8
*Determination: 7

total: 39

*Cooney is a brownlow medallist now and everyone knows who he is. However much like Murphy i have doubts that he is mature enough to be a leader. Seems to like being the quiet clown of the group.

Cross:
*communication skills: 6
*I/C: 10
*Marketability: 8

total:43

*Crossy is as gutsy as, a true inspiration on the field. His biggest weakness is that he's a bit of a quiet type.

Boyd:
*communication skills: 8

total: 44

A real contender. I've heard him speak at many functions and although he is quieter than some others he can hold his own. Along with Cross he's an inspiration on the field. Not really a household name outside of the club.

Gilbee:
*communication skills: 10

total: 41

* Gilbee is an excellent speaker, easily the best in the playing group. He's sharp and looks you in the eye when he answers your questions. If you've heard the interview with Mark Doran on SEN then you will know what i mean. He's not as corageous as some but still and inspirational player. Some doubts over his standing in the group. Doesn't get mentioned often as a contender along with gia or murphy despite being in the same age group and being a much better speaker.

Morris:

*total: 41

* Only weakness is that i think he may actually be a mute. Haven't heard him speak much so can't give him high marks here.

I welcome any input from fellow posters, some of you may know better than i do in regards to certain players, or have a different opinion.

For my vote i picked Gilbs, however i haven't rated him the highest. There are some unknowns for Lindsay for me, I've heard him speak a number of times but i can't work out how he is not in the leadership group, and others who can't string 2 words together are. Perhaps there is something about him that we are not aware of.
Boyd would be my second choice. I'd really like our captain to be someone who leads by example. Throwing your body in and busting your gut even when you are getting thrashed is what captains are supposed to do.

Sockeye Salmon
11-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Welcome MRM, I think your comments above are more suited to another forum. We generally do not just criticise a player for the sake of it. You will find people here will pay more attention if you give reasons for critising a particular player.
Dont know if this is your first post, however its not one of the better first posts that I have read.

It's also utter bullshit

lemmon
11-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Morris for me, sure he wouldnt be the most marketable or be the most vocal but in a captain i look for a reliable type who will do it on the field. The talk in the dressing rooms is all fine but is pointless if they dont perform on the field.

Desipura
11-02-2009, 05:15 PM
It's also utter bullshit
very eloquently put SS. "You can take the boy out of the West"..............you know the rest
:D

LostDoggy
11-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Will Minson

azabob
11-02-2009, 07:41 PM
With Gia, what do we expect from him as a player. IMO if you go to the games its a lot harder to actually see how many hardball gets, and in and under ball he actually gets. I saw a bit more on TV this year and I was just so suprised at how hard he put himself into the contest.
I was a critic of Gia but now I am a big fan. I guess he isn't flash but he gets the hard things done.

GVGjr
11-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Quite surprised Higgins wasnt an option here GVG?

I suppose my thoughts were that he just isn't ready for next year. He is a very good option down the track but not just yet.

GVGjr
11-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Seven people have voted for Daniel Giansiracusa so far and I be interested in why you see him as the next leader of the club if the position became available at the end of the season?
I'm a fan of his and I understand that he hasn't had a great run with injuries but IMO his results on field haven't quite reached his true ability as a player yet and I'm wondering if that might hold him back?
I might be reading this wrong but I would have thought that it is very hard to ask players to dig deeper and get more out of themselves if you haven't reached or exceeded your own potential.
Obviously if he can put some injury concerns behind him he might push himself to reach his potential but he still has a way to go in that regard.

Bumper Bulldogs
11-02-2009, 08:06 PM
If jonno hangs around for two more years I think this will be a lot different.

out of this bunch IMO it will only be a 2-3 year gig.

Mofra
11-02-2009, 08:25 PM
I voted Crossy, he wouldn't be much in front of Gia on my standings.

Gia is alot tougher than people give him credit for, and his ability to dispose of the ball in heavy traffic is elite.
Crossy would challenge everyone to keep up with him on the training track, and works very hard off the ball too - the area we most need to improve on; so Crossy's appointment would make a big statement to the team.

Happy Days
11-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Seven people have voted for Daniel Giansiracusa so far and I be interested in why you see him as the next leader of the club if the position became available at the end of the season?
I'm a fan of his and I understand that he hasn't had a great run with injuries but IMO his results on field haven't quite reached his true ability as a player yet and I'm wondering if that might hold him back?
I might be reading this wrong but I would have thought that it is very hard to ask players to dig deeper and get more out of themselves if you haven't reached or exceeded your own potential.
Obviously if he can put some injury concerns behind him he might push himself to reach his potential but he still has a way to go in that regard.

I voted for Gia as I felt the general consensus coming from the club was that he is next in line, and their opinion is far more informed than mine on this matter.

If it were to go to what we, as the fans see in games, then I would have thought Cross, but as we all know thats not the only aspect to the captiancy.

Ozza
12-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Gia:

*Gia to me isn't much of a talker and i couldn't see him offering anything in leadership on the field. He does try at times but he often misses crucial set shots and his tackles get broken easily. Seems like a nice guy and no doubt loves his footy. Not captain material for me.

I'm a bit staggered by your assessment of Gia.

In particular - I just wanted to highlight the communication skills section - where I disagree. As well as it being widely reported that Gia does a heap of work with the younger players - you ought to sit down close to the bench one game this year and watch Gia every time he heads to the bench and particularly early in the game when he often starts on the pine. I'm not saying this to be a smart ar$e, really - I sat behind the bench in our game v Collingwood last year and was so impressed with the way Gia was keeping the young guys like Callan Ward focused and aware of things that were happening on the field. He is also very vocal at trainings, and presumably in meetings.

As far as the marketability aspect - firstly he's a big favourite with the ladies, is good on the footy show and would be very comfortable representing the club in the media.

He's a very good candidate. Professional as they come. A western suburbs boy, much like Johnno, and loves the club as much as anyone.

LostDoggy
12-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Daniel Giansiracusa for mine.

He presents himself extremely well in the media and seems comftorable and confident when doing so.

The club seems to think he is the next best option when johnno (who gave him a great appraisal also) retires.

I agree with many in that i don't think our next captain will be captian for longer than 3 years. IMO Shaun Higgins is our next long term captain and will be groomed for it while Gia captains.

The only thing going against gia is that he spends quite a bit of time on the bench, particularly at the start of a game when the captain is required to get the team off to a good start, but im sure if he is appointed captain he will be playing much more gametime.

From all accounts he is well respected around the club, and he seems quite vocal out on the ground.

Safe choice i rekon.

GVGjr
12-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Morris:

* Only weakness is that i think he may actually be a mute. Haven't heard him speak much so can't give him high marks here.

I welcome any input from fellow posters, some of you may know better than i do in regards to certain players, or have a different opinion.

For my vote i picked Gilbs, however i haven't rated him the highest. There are some unknowns for Lindsay for me, I've heard him speak a number of times but i can't work out how he is not in the leadership group, and others who can't string 2 words together are. Perhaps there is something about him that we are not aware of.
Boyd would be my second choice. I'd really like our captain to be someone who leads by example. Throwing your body in and busting your gut even when you are getting thrashed is what captains are supposed to do.

I've actually voted for Morris and I listened to him speak the other week and I think his communications skills are good enough although granted he is nowhere near as smooth as a Robert Murphy. What appeals to me is that he seems to be a solid leader of the players and a good enough communicator with the added advantage that as a player he performs near his best just about every week.
I don't think this selection should be based on just Football ability because a lot of good captains aren't necessarily the best players. Tom Harley certainly fits that bill.

By the way, I'm a little surprised that so few people have voted on this so far.

LostDoggy
13-02-2009, 09:25 AM
It's very hard from the outside looking in to get a real read on the goings on in the locker room. IMO Dale Morris is the stand out from that list...no fuss, straight down the line guy. One that the whole list would admire and follow..would really love Johnno to get another year out of his body and be able to finish up as captain. I to was surprised Higgo was left off the list and that by 2011 he would be a perfect candidate for the job!!

Cyberdoggie
13-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm a bit staggered by your assessment of Gia.

In particular - I just wanted to highlight the communication skills section - where I disagree. As well as it being widely reported that Gia does a heap of work with the younger players - you ought to sit down close to the bench one game this year and watch Gia every time he heads to the bench and particularly early in the game when he often starts on the pine. I'm not saying this to be a smart ar$e, really - I sat behind the bench in our game v Collingwood last year and was so impressed with the way Gia was keeping the young guys like Callan Ward focused and aware of things that were happening on the field. He is also very vocal at trainings, and presumably in meetings.

As far as the marketability aspect - firstly he's a big favourite with the ladies, is good on the footy show and would be very comfortable representing the club in the media.

He's a very good candidate. Professional as they come. A western suburbs boy, much like Johnno, and loves the club as much as anyone.

Fair enough.

Your correct he's a big hit with the ladies, his game day suits are lovely as well.

I have no doubt he's popular amongst the group, otherwise he wouldn't get mentioned by people like Brad Johnson and Rocket all the time. I can't agree with your assesment of his performances on the footy show. I think he's just a little media shy, and doesn't really have a lot to say. That's basically what's holding him back in marketability.

But having said that our previous captain Chris Grant wasn't a big talker either and he was an excellent captain.

I kind of like the idea of a backman or gritty midfielder being a captain. You want them leading by example when the cards are against you, and being a forward you are more likely to see less of the ball when things aren't going your way.

LostDoggy
13-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Bobbie Murphy for me ... a better football brain you will never see; the man oozes quality both on and off the field :)

I agree.

always right
13-02-2009, 05:07 PM

Gia:

I think Gia is one of the most vocal around the cluband is very instructional on the field. Wasn't he the one who put Aker in his place after the handstand?

I've pushed up for Cross for a long time but the more feedback I hear from people around the club the more apparent it is that Gia and Murph are the front runners. Crossy has improved his communication but he leads by example not words. Just don't think he fits the mould for what the club is after....but I'd love to see him get the nod. Inspirational on-field with his hard ball gets.

The Underdog
13-02-2009, 05:30 PM
I've long been a proponent of Griff getting it but I'd suggest that perhaps he'd need a real solid year on the park first. So I voted for Crossy to hold onto it for a few years. He's the classic lead by example bloke (kicking aside) who'll do all the hard things and has the respect of everyone.
I love Gia and unlike some think he's a lot harder than given credit for but I'm not sure he has enough influence on games regularly. I'd be going Cross with Griff as VC.

Twodogs
13-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Will Minson

Agree.

GVGjr
15-02-2009, 10:43 PM
I discussed the Giansiracusa option as a possible captain with a few people on Friday night and the consensus from a couple of them is that Giansiracusa is just too serious about his footy to be a good captain. This threw me a bit because I thought it might be a good quality for a future captain but from their perspective he can't accept that others aren't as focused as he is and he is very much a stickler with the rules with not a lot of give. If this view is correct it might not be good quality.

Desipura
16-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Lets just wait for when/if Minson reaches his full potential before handing him the captaincy.

LostDoggy
16-02-2009, 01:04 PM

I'm sorry? I gave a reason, or are you that one-eyed that every Bulldog who's ever pulled on the jumper can do no wrong? I don't beleive in criticism just for the sake of it either, but we're talking about the next CAPTAIN of the club.

I've found that on many occassions Gia doesn't put his body in for the ball - a trait that just about every other player on our team that i can think of posesses. I don't think my P.O.V is biased because i have no reason to dislike him. Sorry if i ruined your pristine eyes by reading my post.

Can you please provide a list of first posts to compare mine too. I'd like to see some evidence.

firstdogonthemoon
16-02-2009, 01:36 PM
I like murph. I like that he is a bit outside the box, and is also a gigantic brain and inspirational on the field.

I think he is a great choice partly because he is not an obvious footy captain type and yet will be able to do the job.

However, the best choice is the bloke the players and coaches want. Especially the players. I want the guy that they would follow into battle.

I dont think any of us know who that is yet.

The Coon Dog
16-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I like murph.

All because he said hello to your dog! ;)

Desipura
16-02-2009, 03:26 PM

I'm sorry? I gave a reason, or are you that one-eyed that every Bulldog who's ever pulled on the jumper can do no wrong? I don't beleive in criticism just for the sake of it either, but we're talking about the next CAPTAIN of the club.
You sure did, gee and alot of thought was put into it!:rolleyes:
For whats its worth, I agree totally that Gia should not be the next captain. In fact I could think of at least 6 players who I would rather have.
No Im not one eyed, and am very critical of certain players. Only difference is I give a detailed response as opposed to a cheap shot!
There are not many if any that compare to your first post, sorry I could not assist.

Sockeye Salmon
16-02-2009, 05:03 PM
I've never seen Gia not put his head over the ball. When it's his turn, he goes. Every time.

LostDoggy
16-02-2009, 07:47 PM
I voted for Crossy because he reminds me of Judd - he is a perfectionist that the other try to emulate. Imagine having Judd and Crossy at the same club::)

But, I think that Morris would be a great captain as well, he epitomises the bulldogs struggle, getting picked up as a mature aged rookie because he peservered so much, and making it to AA - is just fantastic. He loves the club, absolutely committed totally - to the point where he started the bidding at the Rookie fundraiser.

As for communication, I wondered over and spoke to him that night and he came across as a friendly down to earth young man, a great role model. He is always ont he ground, whereas as someone mentioned earlier Gia spends a lot of time on the bench.

I think whoever commented that Gia is too serious hit the nail on the head. You have to be a little flexible - and lead by example rather than rules - I think that Darcy was of a similar elk - but I much prefer Johno, although I loved Darcy.

One thing is for sure - 12 months ago after our horror 2007 we had a similar conversation and I couldn't think who would be a good replacement for Johno - now I can see four or five really good options.

Mofra
16-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Lets just wait for when/if Minson reaches his full potential before handing him the captaincy.
Will may not even be in our best 22 once Roughead & Cordy fill out. One of our younger no 2 talls (Boumann or Jones) would put his spot under real pressure.

azabob
16-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Will may not even be in our best 22 once Roughead & Cordy fill out. One of our younger no 2 talls (Boumann or Jones) would put his spot under real pressure.

Are you serious? What makes you think Roughead will be any better or more valuable than Minson? I cant imagine Roughead or Cordy playing consistant senior football no earlier than 2011 and that is with everything going well, by the time they are ready Minson will be late 20's.
And Boumann he is even struggling to make an impact in Williamstown 2nds, and Jones is in the same bracket as Cordy and Roughead.
I would be very suprised if they move Minson on at all, he has that one thing we lack a big man who has hardness at the football and the man. Minson has improved each year he has been on the list.

LostDoggy
17-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Has to be Daniel Cross!

A real leader is someone who can not only inspire on the training track, but when it comes to the real stuff you want a leader that you can go to war with, someone to help inspire you, to push you past the pain barrier. You want a leader who has a steel and determination that is evident week in week out.

One critisism of Crossy is that he is too militant in his preparation and fitness regime, I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. in terms of his communication, I think he communicates quite well and it's a skill that takes time to harness.

i just don't think Gia has done enough on the park to warrant the captaincy. Sure his 08 season was a pearler. but it takes more than one good season to be given the honour of captaincy, I believe Crossy is one of our most consistant performers!!

gohardorgohome
17-02-2009, 09:49 PM
If Higgins plays without injury this year I am sure he would be the best bet

Dancin' Douggy
17-02-2009, 11:11 PM

it's just about who's the best player on your list.
Sometimes the best player can be the worst leader.

You need to consider that person's leadership abilities:

* Communication skills: how they talk to the media and players
* Inspirational/corageous: needs to inspire other players around them
* Marketability: someone you can sell your club on
* Respect amongst the players: If the players don't like you or don't respect you then your not captain material.
* Determination/willingness to succeed: Someone who can put in the hard work required on and off the field, someone who lives and breathes footy and wants nothing more than a premiership for the WB's.

basically you need someone who can talk, someone who a consistent and inspirational player on the field, and someone who commands the respect of the playing group.

I don't think we have any clear standouts in all categories.
It's very hard to judge from outside the club just how each player sits in the group. We supporters may think a particular player is a great choice but we don't see them off the field. We don't see how they fit in the group and if the younger players look up to them. Or if they are a loner and stick to themselves and don't have many friends?.

Here's my review on the main contenders.

Murphy:
*communication skills: 9

Total 44

*Bob Murphy can talk, we've all read his articles etc but is he seen as a bit of an alternative type or a joker amongst the group?. He's got the determination and club wouldn't have a problem using him as their poster boy. Bob does try his heart out on the field although injuries have slowed him down a little.

Gia:

Cooney:
*communication skills: 7
*I/C: 7
* Respect: 8
*Determination: 7

total: 39

*Cooney is a brownlow medallist now and everyone knows who he is. However much like Murphy i have doubts that he is mature enough to be a leader. Seems to like being the quiet clown of the group.

Cross:
*communication skills: 6

total:43

*Crossy is as gutsy as, a true inspiration on the field. His biggest weakness is that he's a bit of a quiet type.

Boyd:
*communication skills: 8

total: 44

A real contender. I've heard him speak at many functions and although he is quieter than some others he can hold his own. Along with Cross he's an inspiration on the field. Not really a household name outside of the club.

Gilbee:
*communication skills: 10

total: 41

* Gilbee is an excellent speaker, easily the best in the playing group. He's sharp and looks you in the eye when he answers your questions. If you've heard the interview with Mark Doran on SEN then you will know what i mean. He's not as corageous as some but still and inspirational player. Some doubts over his standing in the group. Doesn't get mentioned often as a contender along with gia or murphy despite being in the same age group and being a much better speaker.

Morris:

I'd be curious to see your appraisal of Will Minson. Could you put him through your analysis please Cyberdoggie? I'd like to see his score.
I'm the only vote he's got so far by the way.

The Underdog
18-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Are you serious? What makes you think Roughead will be any better or more valuable than Minson? I cant imagine Roughead or Cordy playing consistant senior football no earlier than 2011 and that is with everything going well, by the time they are ready Minson will be late 20's.
And Boumann he is even struggling to make an impact in Williamstown 2nds, and Jones is in the same bracket as Cordy and Roughead.
I would be very suprised if they move Minson on at all, he has that one thing we lack a big man who has hardness at the football and the man. Minson has improved each year he has been on the list.

Do you really think Minson is particularly hard at either the ball or the man? I would say that most of the aggression he shows at the man is misplaced, behind the play and in no way anywhere near as menacing as he hopes it to be. It's also often detrimental to the team. I think his attack on the footy could also often be improved. He started off last year showing good aggression leading out from full forward but dropped off markedly at times. He also doesn't hold onto enough marks that he gets his hands too. He certainly still has a lot of improvement to make before he's a consistent senior footballer.

LostDoggy
18-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Minson has improved each year he has been on the list.

Care to elaobrate?

azabob
18-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Do you really think Minson is particularly hard at either the ball or the man? I would say that most of the aggression he shows at the man is misplaced, behind the play and in no way anywhere near as menacing as he hopes it to be. It's also often detrimental to the team. I think his attack on the footy could also often be improved. He started off last year showing good aggression leading out from full forward but dropped off markedly at times. He also doesn't hold onto enough marks that he gets his hands too. He certainly still has a lot of improvement to make before he's a consistent senior footballer.

Yes I think Minson is hard at the football and hard at the man and yes he does get his wires confused and his agression is sometimes detrimental to the team.
Not sure If you are saying I said Minson was a consistent footballer or you are just making that point; but for the record I didnt say Minson was a consistent footballer. I was responding to a comment saying that Minson will struggle to be in our best 22 in the next year or so when Cordy and Roughead come on but I was pointing out that wont happen for a few years to come. And by that time Minson would be near retirement age anyhow. My greatest frustration with Minson is he doesnt take nearly enough marks for the amount of time he gets his hands to the footy.

azabob
18-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Care to elaobrate?

IMO i think he has improved his ruckwork with each season and play around the ground. He had a major injury which ended his 2006 year and last year he added to his game the ability to play forward, provide a contest to get the ball to ground and kick some goals. Something he has not done in the past. Also we should remember that his junior football was in SA but in his U17. U18 years I think he played mostly school football which meant he would've come to us with a lot of improvement in him needed and I think he is progressing nicely. Again 2009 he needs to improve again and I would think he would.

Ozza
18-02-2009, 04:24 PM
If Minson can hold onto those 50-50 (or even 60-40) type marks - even just twice a game - we would see a massive improvement.

I think thats what he needs to add to his game to become a really essential part of the team.

soupman
18-02-2009, 04:26 PM
If Minson can hold onto those 50-50 (or even 60-40) type marks - even just twice a game - we would see a massive improvement.

I think thats what he needs to add to his game to become a really essential part of the team.

I think if he can do that, and improve his finishing from those marks, he could be a very dangerous part of the team. Currently he'll pull one in every now and then, but very rarely converts it if it was a good mark. It's as if he can't do two good things in a row.

Mofra
18-02-2009, 09:02 PM
I was responding to a comment saying that Minson will struggle to be in our best 22 in the next year or so when Cordy and Roughead come on
No, you misinterpreted and then went off on a tangent.

I said might once both Cordy and Roughead fill out. If you think Cordy will fill out in the "next year or so" you view on physical development differs from mine.

FWIW Minson will be 27 at the start of 2012, not wuite into his "late 20s".

azabob
18-02-2009, 11:39 PM
No, you misinterpreted and then went off on a tangent.

I said might once both Cordy and Roughead fill out. If you think Cordy will fill out in the "next year or so" you view on physical development differs from mine.

FWIW Minson will be 27 at the start of 2012, not wuite into his "late 20s".

You say I misinterpreted but you have not explained what you meant in either post. I said if Everything goes well they would be ready by 2012, personally I dont think they will be.
When do you think Cordy and Roughead will be ready for senior football as the number 1 ruck?
I dont think I went off on a tangent I was just responding to your comment by giving my reason's why i dont think Cordy/Roughead/Jones/Boumann will trouble Minson for his spot in the team.
Also I would class 27 as late 20's.