PDA

View Full Version : NAB Dogs v Dons Match Overview

The Bulldogs Bite
14-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Firstly, good effort by both clubs to play for such a great cause, raising plenty of money. Definitely both need to be congratulated, as well as the AFL. It was a great night and a close entertaining game would have served as a slight distraction for those suffering, even if only for a few hours.

Now the game.

* Foot skills were very poor, but it's early in the season. Still, we need to be working hard on this area as we lacked in our execution and perhaps most importantly, our decision making. Too many times going forward we picked the wrong option. Pretty frustrating, even if it's a NAB Cup - but we'll improve.

* The senior players were a little disappointing. Johnson was great in the last but down a little in the three quarters prior. Still he stepped up when needed. Eagleton, Skipper & Wight were continually frustrating. Eagle did some nice things in the last but really, he justified why his spot in the 22 is under fierce pressure. Wight/Skip struggled and are no good. Gilbee's disposal was ordinary and Gia/Boyd ditto. Lake struggled a bit too, but the majority of these guys are obvious quality players who will perform in the real thing - we hope and have come to expect.

* Grant was very impressive in his first display. He wasn't matched on by duds either. Took some strong grabs, showed fantastic defensive pressure every time, showed some serious pace and really gets involved in a contest on the ground, scooping the ball out several times. His ability to win a contest both in the air and on the ground is extremely pleasing. He WILL be a gun KPF - so long as he fixes his kicking, which really needs work. An awkward approach, too much room for nerves and ultimately error. If he can improve this he's going to be a seriously good player, and based on tonight, him playing 10+ games is certainly within reach. He positions his body well and has that "know how", even though he's an inexperienced kid.

* Wood showed some solid signs of being able to develop into a good player. He has terrific size and uses it. Not afraid to get in and get the ball out. He used his body to get shrug tackles a few times really well. He has an instinctive ability to bust through packs, take them on, bounce the ball and run hard. His decision making was average but he did hit up a nice long 50m target in the last quarter. IMO he showed plenty to work with and he could be a real smokey to impress this year. Definitely will make his debut in 09 for mine, going to be keeping a close eye on this kid.

* Harbrow is eager and full of heart. Hates losing a contest and gives 110% every single time. He looks a lot fitter and is moving really well. Looks exceptionally quick and his hunger to win the ball really shows through. He wins contests on sheer desire, he also manages to slip out of tackles or at least fire a handball away too. He looks the goods, in for a big year. Made some errors skill wise IE the shot for goal, but who didn't? Most of his passes were pretty good.

* Higgins looked impressive for three quarters. Much cleaner in the midfield due to being clearly much fitter. Moving across the ground very well, he looks really classy and prior to the last quarter he proved this when some silky skills. Really looking forward to this year, he looks set.

* Stack showed a few signs, moved well and kicked a nice goal, seems to have a nice gauge on controlling the ball, but I think he lacks a bit of intensity IE. instead of working the ball in his favour, grab it strongly with two hands. Not sold on his ability to play at this level yet. He has some talent but he doesn't seem to use it enough. Not sure if it's a confidence thing, a fitness thing, or what. But he probably needs to intensify his game to improve for mine. Still - some decent signs considering it was his first game.

I'll probably write more later as it comes to mind. Overall not a great night for us, lot to work on over the coming weeks, but kinda to be expected. Some nice signs with a few of the kids and a few of the developing players though.

GVGjr
14-02-2009, 01:31 AM
I was pleased with the outings of a number of the youngsters particularly Wood, Grant, Ward and Hill (yes I still class him as a youngster) but that was countered by O'Shea who still hasn't made the progress he should have and to some extent Harbrow frustrated me tonight.
I agree with Bulldogs Bite that Harbrow is full of heart and courage but his skill level and decision making is still too erratic. Plenty to work with though because he very much puts his head over the football and goes full paced.
O'Shea showed all the signs of the player I saw at Williamstown. Gave away a silly free and 50mtrs penalty with an overly vigorous attempt at a contest which cost us 9 points and then with a set shot from 40mtrs out failed to make the distance and in fact probably kicked it no more than 30mtrs.

Some of the other youngsters like Picken and Stack it was hard to judge them on this outing.

It was encouraging to see Giansiracusa out there but he did provide a couple of costly clangers but will be better for the run.
Lake didn't perform that well and hopefully this is game was about getting him back into some form and fitness. Higgins had a good game and should be primed for a solid season.

Mantis
14-02-2009, 01:35 AM
I'll probably write more later as it comes to mind. Overall not a great night for us, lot to work on over the coming weeks, but kinda to be expected. Some nice signs with a few of the kids and a few of the developing players though.

I really don't agree with this.

The player's we thought would let us down did. ie. Wight, Skip, Eagle

The youngster's we thought would show a bit did. ie. Grant, Wood, Ward

The player's who we thought would show improvement did. ie. Addison, Harbrow, Higgins.

We had some serious quality sitting in the stands tonight and I walked away thinking that we are in for another exciting year.

lemmon
14-02-2009, 01:37 AM
I was pleased with the outings of a number of the youngsters particularly Wood, Grant, Ward and Hill (yes I still class him as a youngster) but that was countered by O'Shea who still hasn't made the progress he should have and to some extent Harbrow frustrated me tonight.
I agree with Bulldogs Bite that Harbrow is full of heart and courage but his skill level and decision making is still too erratic. Plenty to work with though because he very much puts his head over the football and goes full paced.
O'Shea showed all the signs of the player I saw at Williamstown. Gave away a silly free and 50mtrs penalty with an overly vigorous attempt at a contest which cost us 9 points and then with a set shot from 40mtrs out failed to make the distance and in fact probably kicked it no more than 30mtrs.

Some of the other youngsters like Picken and Stack it was hard to judge them on this outing.

It was encouraging to see Giansiracusa out there but he did provide a couple of costly clangers but will be better for the run.
Lake didn't perform that well and hopefully this is game was about getting him back into some form and fitness. Higgins had a good game and should be primed for a solid season.

I think the problem with Harbrow is he tries to do to much instead of giving the first option.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-02-2009, 01:38 AM

The player's who we thought would show improvement did. ie. Addison, Harbrow, Higgins.

We had some serious quality sitting in the stands tonight and I walked away thinking that we are in for another exciting year.

You're quite right. I think by 'not a great night' I meant the result and the fact that Wight/Skip/Eagle coupled with some average ball useage was disappointing.

But I definitely agree with all of your above.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Addison and Callan both looked sharp tonight. For two players who haven't the most skill in the side, they work within their limitations very well. Particularly Callan - he knows his limits with his ball useage. Both should have good years IMO.

Addison's skill level has actually improved and he looked sharp tonight. Won a few hard contests, his tackling is bone crunching and he looks fit.

Excited about both of these players prospects this season, they add something different but very valuable.

Addison took a hell of a saving mark in the last qtr too.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-02-2009, 01:43 AM

O'Shea certainly has a long way to go. Can't fault his desire, but his skills look below standard.
Picken is going to have to work hard this year, and not unlike guys like Morris and Boyd did, really do all he can to extract the best out of the abilities he has. Looks like he needs to really improve his skill level alot.
I sort of agree with you on Harbrow, he does need to improve, but it's still early days for him and there is so much to like about his game. If he can just polish his game a bit, he can be an elite player.
Cal Ward though is the one whom I'm most excited about, he just looks like a Rolls Royce in the making.
Grant has great hands and awareness, but his set shot kicking doesn't inspire me with confidence. If this can't be rectified then we may have to look at using him elsewhere around the ground.

GVGjr
14-02-2009, 01:44 AM
I think the problem with Harbrow is he tries to do to much instead of giving the first option.
And that comes right down to his decision making. He even throws his own team mates off because he will turn into another direction when the first option was already a good one. By the time he tries to go back to the first option the opposition have closed the gap and then his skill level is being tested. I know he has a legion of supporters here but in my opinion he needs become more far decisive and direct.

Remi Moses
14-02-2009, 02:32 AM
Not bothered anymore with these games,we went in with a full squad last season against them and got poleaxed. Glad we played a host of kids

Remi Moses
14-02-2009, 02:37 AM

i Agree,very disappointed with O'shea he just hasn't stepped up. I reckon if we can hold our ground in the eight and look forward to the likes of Grant,Boumann stepping up in the next year or two.

G-Mo77
14-02-2009, 08:57 AM
i Agree,very disappointed with O'shea he just hasn't stepped up. I reckon if we can hold our ground in the eight and look forward to the likes of Grant,Boumann stepping up in the next year or two.

First game I believe and 19 years of age I think you're expecting a bit much. I thought he did some nice things. His shot at goal was one to forget though and I'm sure it is one he would like to take again.

GVGjr
14-02-2009, 09:10 AM
First game I believe and 19 years of age I think you're expecting a bit much. I thought he did some nice things. His shot at goal was one to forget though and I'm sure it is one he would like to take again.

The problem is that based on what I have seen at Williamstown, he could have had several more shots and the outcome might not get any better. He is a far better kick when he really kicks through it. In my opinion he often seems to treat goal kicking like a golf put because he tries to kick it just hard enough but not too hard. In the end, falling 10 or 15mtrs short from a set shot from 40mtrs happens all too frequently for him which is a shame because his around the ground kicking isn't too bad.

As you say he is still just 19 but he does need to make a lot of improvement this year.

G-Mo77
14-02-2009, 09:28 AM
The problem is that based on what I have seen at Williamstown, he could have had several more shots and the outcome might not get any better. He is a far better kick when he really kicks through it. In my opinion he often seems to treat goal kicking like a golf put because he tries to kick it just hard enough but not too hard. In the end, falling 10 or 15mtrs short from a set shot from 40mtrs happens all too frequently for him which is a shame because his around the ground kicking isn't too bad.

As you say he is still just 19 but he does need to make a lot of improvement this year.

Thanks for the insight. I don't think I've ever seen him play at all.

I liked his attack on the ball when he was on the ground he looked really hard at it so did Grant which I love seeing out of young kids. When he gave that 50 M penalty away he made up a hell of a lot of ground to make the contest when most players would have given up the end result of that hurt us with a 9 pointer but it was still a good sign.

Mcphee firing up after that showed just want a tool he is! The guy is finished and is using his rough hero tactics to keep his spot in the side. Solomon V2. :rolleyes:

gohardorgohome
14-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Higgins is a mighty fine player.

Skillful courageous and has spoken well when I have heard him in the media.

I'd make him captain when Johnno calls it a day.

craigsahibee
14-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Very encouraging from the youngsters in Grant, Ward, Harbrow, Wood and DFA. Wight, Skipper and Eagleton did enough for me to suggest that they will be solid contributors for Williamstown this year.

I am fast becoming a huge Harbrow fan. I agree with the comments here about his decision making, but I put that down to youthful exuberance and a desire to please. He has made it to this level the hard way and I think he has placed a massive amount of pressure on himself to succeed in recognition for the sacrifices his family has made for him. With experience and a belief that he belongs at this level, I have no doubt we will see a great deal of improvement in his football.

Add Cooney, Griff, Hahn, Williams, Aker and Murph to last nights squad and we have a serious footy team folks.

bulldog
14-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Overall a pleasing effort considering we had 8 of our best 22 out mighty please with Jarrad Grant he is going to excite us and frustate us for the next decade and Easton Wood is going to play alot of senior footy this year.

LostDoggy
14-02-2009, 10:18 AM
A good hit out for a good cause and great to see the new blood.

Never concerned about the result, all focus is on rnd 1, getting the best side and getting guys ready.

Great to have addisons hardness back.
Callan Ward and Higgo are class.
Grant took some great grabs. All the young guys showed a bit.
Harbrow will be renamed hunger.
Wight was, is and will be one of the most frustrating players to have in your side. I rate skipper far higher than Cam.
I have been a big of him but the eagle will struggle, bit late to be trying to develop the right boot too mate.

westdog54
14-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Addison and Callan both looked sharp tonight. For two players who haven't the most skill in the side, they work within their limitations very well. Particularly Callan - he knows his limits with his ball useage. Both should have good years IMO.

Addison's skill level has actually improved and he looked sharp tonight. Won a few hard contests, his tackling is bone crunching and he looks fit.
Excited about both of these players prospects this season, they add something different but very valuable.

Addison took a hell of a saving mark in the last qtr too.

Watching him last night got me thinking "Wasn't this the bloke who we thought couldn't kick last week? You'd have thought he and Gilbee had swapped jumpers at times last night.

Grant gave us a pretty good show (minus his kicking of course), to the point where an Essendon supporter leaned over and asked me "did this guy play last year? He'll be a star." And that first tackle, beautiful. Most impressive.

Ward confirmed his potential as a 200 game player, and Wood made Clayton look like a genius all over again. Pity about O'Shea...

Mofra
14-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Watching him last night got me thinking "Wasn't this the bloke who we thought couldn't kick last week? You'd have thought he and Gilbee had swapped jumpers at times last night.
I was thinking the same thing - his field kicking has improved out of sight.

I didn't think Skip was too bad last night, but all my defending of Cam Wight over the past couple of years will come back to haunt me. The big fella has all the endeavour in the world, but simply isn't as good as other options on our list and his first 10 minutes of gametime were like some sort of horror movie.

I was quite imporessed with Gia last night (except for that shocking miss in the 3rd). His work in traffic to get a clean possession out is brilliant.

I was impressed by the rookies - Picken in particular. I thought he was unlucky a couple of times but he goes in hard & shows the sort of endeavour a younger Matthew Boyd did. A worthy back-up as an inside midfielder, although it is worth remembering we have Cooney & Griffen to slot straight back into last night's midfield line up.

Bulldog Revolution
14-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Wood, Ward and Higgins were the real positives for me. Higgins is definitely ready to take a big step forward, the other two were very impressive also. Grant showed flashes of potential, Stack was quiet, Picken stuck to his job, O'Shea struggled, Wight was dreadful. I thought Skipper was handy - some pos, some neg.

I think the criticism of Eagle is harsh. I thought he provided the run and carry we lacked last night.

I didn't think either of Hill or Harbrow were great, they each did some ok things, but made too many mistakes.

Disappointed that the backline, and particularly Lake, were not better switched on at times

Overall we were I felt sharper by hand, but not as sharp by foot. The half-forward/forward line did not seem to function at all

Go_Dogs
14-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Ended up being at the game myself, over in melbs for a festival tomorrow.

Was a great atmosphere, and my seats were right were all the guys who weren't playing were.

I was generally pretty happy with the performance. There were some good signs from a lot of the younger guys. Generally the game seemed to have a lot of flooding, poor skills, and was pretty scrapy.

I thought Grant was great, his chase down and a few of his grabs were real highlights. First time I had seen Wood in action and he's a powerful unit. Used the ball pretty well.

Higgo and Ward looked great too. I think we've really got a strong and dynamic midfield group heading forward.

And considering the calibre of player we had missing, it was a good hit out.vIt was quite amusing seing how excited the dons supporters got over what will probably be the most meaningfuol game they play in all year.

Bulldog Revolution
14-02-2009, 11:40 AM
It was quite amusing seing how excited the dons supporters got over what will probably be the most meaningfuol game they play in all year.

They really were pumped about it weren't they?

For some reason that filled me with confidence

G-Mo77
14-02-2009, 11:48 AM
I'll get to hear about it at work tomorrow they're a funny lot they get just as over excited as Richmond supporters do which I should add already have the 2009 cup. I copped a bit last year after they belted us in the NAB cup and again on the lead up to the regular season game were they would beat us again because of that result. I really didn't hear from them to much after that. :cool:

comrade
14-02-2009, 11:57 AM
I'll get to hear about it at work tomorrow they're a funny lot they get just as over excited as Richmond supporters do which I should add already have the 2009 cup. I copped a bit last year after they belted us in the NAB cup and again on the lead up to the regular season game were they would beat us again because of that result. I really didn't hear from them to much after that. :cool:

I still hear about the first time we played them last season when they apparently had us on toast before McVeigh went down with an injury and we only just got over the line....by 5 goals.

Seriously, Essendon fans are a special breed - as previously mentioned, the roar from their fans after the game was hilarious. Pathetic, but hilarious.

G-Mo77
14-02-2009, 11:59 AM
I still hear about the first time we played them last season when they apparently had us on toast before McVeigh went down with an injury and we only just got over the line....by 5 goals.

Yep, got that excuse too. :D

My silence usually riles them up more. I just let the results do the talking and just smile. :)

strebla
14-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Ended up being at the game myself, over in melbs for a festival tomorrow.

Was a great atmosphere, and my seats were right were all the guys who weren't playing were.

I was generally pretty happy with the performance. There were some good signs from a lot of the younger guys. Generally the game seemed to have a lot of flooding, poor skills, and was pretty scrapy.

I thought Grant was great, his chase down and a few of his grabs were real highlights. First time I had seen Wood in action and he's a powerful unit. Used the ball pretty well.

Higgo and Ward looked great too. I think we've really got a strong and dynamic midfield group heading forward.

And considering the calibre of player we had missing, it was a good hit out.vIt was quite amusing seing how excited the dons supporters got over what will probably be the most meaningfuol game they play in all year.

I would have thought that a groan more appropriate, was in between a heap of these overzealous morons thought I would be Ill.
When BJ got that free kick in the last quarter I thought they would lynch the umpires even though they got an armchair ride most of the night .
Happy overall lot to look forward to lets hope these kids develop sooner rather than later

Born & Bred
14-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Gia and Harbrow both running into open goal in the 3rd quarter and missing. That was horrendus and there is no excuse for that in the AFL.

hujsh
14-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Really happy with how it went.

Type of match where i got more enjoyment out of Lloyd hitting the post that Johnno's goals.

Picken really is just backup. The balance of Cross and Boyd with players like Cooney Griff, Higgins etc is the right one IMO. Picken with those two may be too much.

Still early days and it's only the fist time I've seen him though so I may be wrong.

LostDoggy
14-02-2009, 02:20 PM
the essendon fans really got into it it. fair enough, it was a close match and it was the first match of the year so footy fever was high. the people around me though were estactic. jumping around and high fiving like they won the GF. mexican wave was fun.

LostDoggy
14-02-2009, 03:35 PM
the essendon fans really got into it it. fair enough, it was a close match and it was the first match of the year so footy fever was high. the people around me though were estactic. jumping around and high fiving like they won the GF. mexican wave was fun.

Same here, we had Essendon fans all around, I was getting ex-static at the end when Addison marked it in the defensive 50, when mcphee completely missed everything and lloyd hit the post but the roar when they won..im jus looking at them like Hmm...let the baby have his dummy and suck it too..

lemmon
14-02-2009, 03:52 PM
And that comes right down to his decision making. He even throws his own team mates off because he will turn into another direction when the first option was already a good one. By the time he tries to go back to the first option the opposition have closed the gap and then his skill level is being tested. I know he has a legion of supporters here but in my opinion he needs become more far decisive and direct.

Mate I was agreeing with you, at times he seems to run around in circles.

The Pie Man
14-02-2009, 04:42 PM

Saw Harbrow dropped an overhead mark last night, he recovered the pill but I thought he could use stickier hands at times. He mostly looked good last night though.

Higgins looked great I agree, though did he seem to want to use his left heaps when on the ball? Perhaps just circumstance - given the direction he was running. Very encouraging anyway.

Haven't read any J Grant for round 1 calls - doubtful or realistic?

Wight was horrible, his ability (?) to give up front spot in a marking contest is first class. So much potential too, a real shame. I'll spew if he plays seniors again, he's useless. Skip turned it over too much, after being a fan of his off and on, I'm really not sure why we re-signed him.

Oh and Essendon fans...a special breed indeed. In last quarter this moron was yelling out 'it's the Brad Johnson rule' and was absolutley losing his sh_t about deliberate rushed behinds not being paid - and I'll concede he had a fair point there (he was farrrrken annoying though)

Nice touch from both teams to go to the fence together. Andrew Lovett looked the goods for them, a good kick up the arse in trade week seems to have done the trick (maybe)

bornadog
14-02-2009, 04:58 PM

One of the reasons why I don't go to these matches, ie the high fiving, the passion etc over a practise match. Prefer to wacth on the telly.

From what I saw and picked up, Grant has some potential, needs some muscle, but looked impressive, Wood looked great with his run and carry, needs to ensure his periferal vision is working, as at times he was caught out, Picken looks like a VFL player to me (at this stage), but never stops trying, great endevaour, Higgns needs to improve his kicking. His kicking was bad in the finals series last year and not much better last night. A few of the boys were rusty, like Gilbee's kicking, Lake still has a brain fade every now and then, Skipper needs to deliver the ball to a man and not just slam it on his foot to kick the hell out of it.

Gia looked great with 27 disposals, however, should have had a couple of more goals on the board. Harbrow is continuing on from where he left off last year, Stack did a couple of good things when he was on the ground. Overall a good hit out which they should have won if they had of kicked straight.

GVGjr
14-02-2009, 05:20 PM

I certainly didn't take it any other way.

azabob
14-02-2009, 06:03 PM

Seriously, Essendon fans are a special breed - as previously mentioned, the roar from their fans after the game was hilarious. Pathetic, but hilarious.

We played awful that night and we were lucky that they got a couple of injuries late in the 3rd term and in the 4th quarter. I clearly remember we were lucky to win that game.

lemmon
14-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I certainly didn't take it any other way.

Sorry, hard to pick things up on the net.:o

LostDoggy
14-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Wight was horrible, his ability (?) to give up front spot in a marking contest is first class.

Nicely put, I wince when he goes near the ball.

DOG GOD
14-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Grant and Wood were the definate shining lights for me. Hadnt seen anything of Wood so was suprised with his size and attack on the footy.

To me, personally i see Grant as more of a leadup CHF Murphy type than a KPF in the making. I might be wrong but what i saw of his kicking didnt stem any confidence in me if he was kicking for goal from 45m.

Ward played a silky game although i dont think he was used that much (i thought he wouldve had more game time). All my friends thinks this guy is special, just by his hands, feet and decision making. Should have a good year.

Higgins was impressive, and if fit should have his best year yet. Consistant 4 qtr efforts is whats required though.

Once again our reliance on Johnno in the fwd 50 was predictable for me. We really need to find other avenues, and i cant see any reason why we wont see our mid sized players rotating around the 50 other than Minson pinch hitting there sometimes.

Wight and Skipper will not be at the club next year. Both are nowhere near the standard, and o'shea, while having balls of steel, has poor skill level, and id be very suprised to see him retained even at this early stage.

Eagle frustrates me. That kick on his right in the ess fwd 50 was a joke. If he is getting games while players like ward is at Willy i wont be happy.

Very disappointing that we lost, but our skills can only improve, our decision making can only improve and with a group of stars to return, I'm still hopeful of a top 4 finish in 09.

Jose
14-02-2009, 08:15 PM
I went along on Friday night for my first live game at a function in the endeavour room. I may have met some of you. We had Juan Gonzalez junior there and a number of people from Mission. And we heard that James Fantasia speak who is good with the microphone. I met G-VD and he tried to explain some of the rules.Super goals very hard to understand. Some loco fool started the Mexican wave so please dont blame us.

As for the Bombers We will get them next time.

hujsh
14-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Once again our reliance on Johnno in the fwd 50 was predictable for me. We really need to find other avenues, and i cant see any reason why we wont see our mid sized players rotating around the 50 other than Minson pinch hitting there sometimes.

The guy kicked like what, 40 goals last year? And that's what you call reliance.

Just add Welsh, Murphy, Hahn and Aka and suddenly our reliance want be so important, as we saw last year

Dogs 24/7
14-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Whilst it was nice to see a number of the young blokes playing I left the ground feeling rather empty because if we are supposed to be a genuine contender they are the games we should win. We can all take solace in that the home and away season is the big picture but to push further into the competition would have been vgood for us.

Remi Moses
15-02-2009, 12:38 AM

The SEN boys were saying Rohan Connolly was fist pumping after the siren rang:eek:
How the mighty have fallen:p

Remi Moses
15-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Whilst it was nice to see a number of the young blokes playing I left the ground feeling rather empty because if we are supposed to be a genuine contender they are the games we should win. We can all take solace in that the home and away season is the big picture but to push further into the competition would have been vgood for us.

Interesting theory. Just remember they beat us by 10 goals plus in this micky mouse cup last season. I'll just keep my wrist slashing to the months of March to Sept.

hujsh
15-02-2009, 12:50 AM

Meaningless pre-season matches?

(well not entirely meaningless as it raised money for a cause but the result was meaningless)

Desipura
15-02-2009, 09:14 AM
The guy kicked like what, 40 goals last year? And that's what you call reliance.

Just add Welsh, Murphy, Hahn and Aka and suddenly our reliance want be so important, as we saw last year
I thought our lack of pace in the midfield stood out when Essendon got a run with Houli, Lovett and co were taking us on and we were not able to lay a tackle on them, especially Lovett.
This resulted in some quality disposal being delivered to their forwards.
I know Cooney & Griffen will help, however not sure that we have a player with the same pace as a Lovett or a Davey up forward that we really miss. Or perhaps Lovett & co looked quicker as our midfield was a bit one paced without Griffen & Cooney........

Dogs 24/7
15-02-2009, 09:14 AM
So you got this

Interesting theory. Just remember they beat us by 10 goals plus in this micky mouse cup last season. I'll just keep my wrist slashing to the months of March to Sept.

From this did you?

Dogs 24/7
15-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Meaningless pre-season matches?

(well not entirely meaningless as it raised money for a cause but the result was meaningless)

So if it's just a meaningless pre season game why are so many getting excited about the performances of Grant, Ward and Wood and why would so many people go and watch the game?
I went along wanting to see my team perform well and win the game. We really didn't do either. If it was just to see some youngsters go through their paces I could have just as easily gone to the intra club game on Friday.
As I stated, I know there is a bigger picture at stake here but are we really traveling that well that we can just write off loses and just take the positives from the youngsters performances?
From trying to build our membership numbers and getting to play on the better grounds before the season starts I would have thought a win on Friday night would have been a positive as well.

DOG GOD
15-02-2009, 09:34 AM

Yeah Johhno kicked 40? goals pretty much injured for the year. Doesnt mean theres no reliance towards him, and i know players like welsh, murphy, hahn and aker will make a difference, however if Johnno is playing deep then i guarantee the players would look for him more so than anyone else.

I predict Johnno to be our leading goal kicker again.

GVGjr
15-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I thought our lack of pace in the midfield stood out when Essendon got a run with Houli, Lovett and co were taking us on and we were not able to lay a tackle on them, especially Lovett.
This resulted in some quality disposal being delivered to their forwards.
I know Cooney & Griffen will help, however not sure that we have a player with the same pace as a Lovett or a Davey up forward that we really miss. Or perhaps Lovett & co looked quicker as our midfield was a bit one paced without Griffen & Cooney........

I agree that we did look slow and our inability to stop them with our tackling really got them marching forward. Regarding tackling, I thought we made a lot of gains with our defensive work last year and I'd hate to see it slide back this year.

Dry Rot
15-02-2009, 10:42 AM
I agree that we did look slow and our inability to stop them with our tackling really got them marching forward. .

Agreed. They looked very zippy and quick, we looked slow and they were able to run the ball out of defence through the corriedor with virtual impunity.

The Underdog
15-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I agree that we did look slow and our inability to stop them with our tackling really got them marching forward. Regarding tackling, I thought we made a lot of gains with our defensive work last year and I'd hate to see it slide back this year.

The ability of Essendon's quick midfielders to hurt us on the counter was probably the biggest alarm bell for me. Admittedly our two paciest mids were out but we had no chance against guys like Lovett and Dempsey going the other way. Methinks this might be a bigger problem this year than any supposed key position issues.
I thought our desire to tackle and make a contest was good as was our ability in close but we looked vulnerable to Essendon's quicks especially on the turnover.
Anyone else worried by Lake's game? His decision making seems as precarious as ever. If they take away the rushed behind we could be in for some scary times (not that the umpires paid it, we got away with 2 clear ones from Gilbee and Lake).

As with others loved Higgins and Grant's (kicking aside) games, thought Eagleton worked hard at points but if his kicking is dropping off then he's going to struggle.

hujsh
15-02-2009, 11:42 AM
So if it's just a meaningless pre season game why are so many getting excited about the performances of Grant, Ward and Wood

Because he showcased his talent and potential against AFL/VFL players. In fact the NAB cup is great for watching guys like Wood and Grant because they probably won't play much or at all this year. It doesn't mean Grant will have 5 scoring shots in the real thing though. It's just nice to have a look.

and why would so many people go and watch the game?

Didn't i answer that above? It's for a good cause.

I went along wanting to see my team perform well and win the game.

Then your priorities are way off.

I doubt Eade will be pulling what's left of his hair out over this match. As a spectator you may be disappointed but as supporter of the club i think we got enough out of the game to be happy.

hujsh
15-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah Johhno kicked 40? goals pretty much injured for the year. Doesnt mean theres no reliance towards him, and i know players like welsh, murphy, hahn and aker will make a difference, however if Johnno is playing deep then i guarantee the players would look for him more so than anyone else.

I predict Johnno to be our leading goal kicker again.

We've got 5-6 quality forwards. That's our strength. I think Murph and Hahn are relied on as much as Johnson. Not necessarily to kick goals but their roles are just as important as his.

LostDoggy
15-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Dont understand why people are dissapointed, the NAB cup is to show off some young talent and give them a go..

I couldn't careless if we lost by 1pt or 12 goals, as long as our youngsters individually showed theyve got what it takes to play senior footy

Very happy with what i saw from Wood & Grant..and enjoyed 2nd year Cal Ward's efforts

Just remember we had so much firepower out in Aker, Murphy, Welsh, Hahn..theres plenty of goals between them..NAB Cup is just a crock of a competition I would not want to see us take it seriously and play our best 22 as there is no need..more kids the better

alwaysadog
15-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Hate to lose any game but as the game unfolded the midfield had too few of the regulars to function anything like normal so the Dons got away with far too much.

Also not happy about our positioning under high balls across the park; too often we let them have free marks without a contest. Even if we are not as good in the air we need a contest and to bring the ball to the ground.

It is a different matter to being a rookie in a side that is used to playing together than in a scratch side like the one we fielded on Friday. Essendon had greater sytem but still only just managed to escape by a matter of seconds.

Can't judge anything about a kid especially under conditions where they get little or no help to settle. Anything positive they show is a bonus.

I was most impressed by the endeavour of the first gamers. They were all keen to chase and tackle.

Some people who give Eagle a hard time record only the negeatives and don't bother with the positives.

GVGjr
15-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Then your priorities are way off.

I doubt Eade will be pulling what's left of his hair out over this match. As a spectator you may be disappointed but as supporter of the club i think we got enough out of the game to be happy.

Since when is going to any game for our supporters and wanting our team to win way off the mark or a wrong set of priorities? You're diluting a well established competition with comments like that.

GVGjr
15-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Dont understand why people are dissapointed, the NAB cup is to show off some young talent and give them a go..

I disagree. The NAB cup is an opportunity for the clubs to prepare their team for the H&A season not to just showcase the younger players. I get the impression that so many people get excited to see the young players named because they never or rarely get to see them through the season but as someone who gets to a lot of Williamstown games I didn't see much from the younger players on Friday night that I didn't see last season. Sure Grant and Wood performed a bit better but I can see that at training sessions, East West Days or the Intra club games anyway or take the option of just sitting at home and watching on the tele.

They will struggle to get supporters to get to the NAB games if everyone just diminishes poor results as it being part and parcel of a micky mouse competition.

hujsh
15-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Since when is going to any game for our supporters and wanting our team to win way off the mark or a wrong set of priorities? You're diluting a well established competition with comments like that.

There are far more important things to worry about in the NAB Cup than the final score. That's just how it is.

A well established competition? You're talking about the NAB Cup? With guys like Roos seeming to want to lose it last year i doubt it's my comments that dilute it.

Like Eade repeated last year, It's all about round one. If we play badly in this comp but it sharpens us up for the real thing then I'll be happy.

GVGjr
15-02-2009, 02:49 PM
There are far more important things to worry about in the NAB Cup than the final score. That's just how it is.

A well established competition? You're talking about the NAB Cup? With guys like Roos seeming to want to lose it last year i doubt it's my comments that dilute it.

Like Eade repeated last year, It's all about round one. If we play badly in this comp but it sharpens us up for the real thing then I'll be happy.

You are simply dismissing the competition as a micky mouse one and yet if we were to win one just everybody would be crowing about. I think it's called each way betting.
But with a ho hum attitude why should any supporter go to a game as they might as well take the convenient option and just watch it from home.

FWIW, I think it's an important lead-up into the season and I wanted to see the team play well and certainly play better than we did.

Sockeye Salmon
15-02-2009, 03:05 PM
They will struggle to get supporters to get to the NAB games if everyone just diminishes poor results as it being part and parcel of a micky mouse competition.

As soon as the AFL started gimmics like 9pt goals and play on off the goal posts any shred of credibility the NAB cup might have had evaporated.

It is a Mickey Mouse competition and I'm perfectly happy not be constrained by it for the next 3 weeks.

hujsh
15-02-2009, 03:22 PM
You are simply dismissing the competition as a micky mouse one and yet if we were to win one just everybody would be crowing about. I think it's called each way betting.

I wouldn't. I'd be as pumped about certain players as i am now and that'd be it

But with a ho hum attitude why should any supporter go to a game as they might as well take the convenient option and just watch it from home.

I did watch it from home. Only considered possibly going as it was for a good cause.

FWIW, I think it's an important lead-up into the season and I wanted to see the team play well and certainly play better than we did.

It is good to see the team play well but personally I can live with a poor NAB Cup match.

LostDoggy
15-02-2009, 03:27 PM
It is such an un-important comp..

Look at last year..We got a scrappy win in darwin over the Roos (who we cant beat in the real season) and then Essendon BELTED us by 54pts..

Look at where we finished, and Essendon finished..Mickey Mouse Cup makes so much sense..

Yeah StKilda won and came 4th (even though they should of come 8th if results didnt go their way)

Year before, Carlton won it and ended up 15th. This cup has sfa relevance to the season ahead and it's here to showcase the youngins for almost all clubs

GVGjr
15-02-2009, 04:36 PM
It is such an un-important comp..

I went to a function on Friday and Fantasia said that whilst we were primarily preparing for the Home & Away season we fully expected to win the game and we would be very disappointed if we didn't and on paper we should have won...comfortably. We can all keep dismissing the result because it's not part of the bigger picture but if the club wants people to join up early they need to be showing that results like Friday night are not acceptable.
Regardless of how people regard the competition we didn't get beaten because a Lloyd, Franklin and JBrown tore a youngster apart and kicked a bag, we got beaten by a team that we should have comfortably accounted for.
I was happy to see a few of the young guys perform well but I don't see why we should simply accept the loss.

Sockeye Salmon
15-02-2009, 05:42 PM
I went to a function on Friday and Fantasia said that whilst we were primarily preparing for the Home & Away season we fully expected to win the game and we would be very disappointed if we didn't and on paper we should have won...comfortably. We can all keep dismissing the result because it's not part of the bigger picture but if the club wants people to join up early they need to be showing that results like Friday night are not acceptable.
Regardless of how people regard the competition we didn't get beaten because a Lloyd, Franklin and JBrown tore a youngster apart and kicked a bag, we got beaten by a team that we should have comfortably accounted for.
I was happy to see a few of the young guys perform well but I don't see why we should simply accept the loss.

I'm more gracious and respectful of another AFL team.

Regardless of ladder positions, every AFL team is full of talented footballers. Just because Essendon missed the finals last year it is still incredibly arrogant to think that we would walk over them with 8 of our 1st 22 missing.

They are also 3 weeks ahead of us in their preperation.

They beat us by a point.

Bulldog4life
15-02-2009, 05:44 PM

I was disappointed with the result when the siren sounded but that was it for me. I quickly got over it. The NAB Cup in my opinion can't be taken seriously until all teams take it seriously. But then again it just an opinion like everyone elses on this forum.

On paper I thought Essendon were morals to win. We had 8 or 9 players out that are far better than who Essendon had out. Added to that because of injuries last year a number of Essendon's "bit players" had some experience in the big league. Ours had none.

I'm sure we expected to win the game. I hope that we go in with that resolve every week.

Mantis
15-02-2009, 08:24 PM

As did I.

I thought our more experienced/ senior players let us down on Friday night. Player's such as Cross, Boyd, Eagleton, Gia & Johnson perhaps even Higgins didn't play the games I expected of them. Ok maybe one or two of them have had interrupted pre-seasons, but really this group of players should be able to perform well in a NAB Cup game on 1 leg.

GVGjr
15-02-2009, 09:13 PM
As did I.

I thought our more experienced/ senior players let us down on Friday night. Player's such as Cross, Boyd, Eagleton, Gia & Johnson perhaps even Higgins didn't play the games I expected of them. Ok maybe one or two of them have had interrupted pre-seasons, but really this group of players should be able to perform well in a NAB Cup game on 1 leg.

I was happy with the games from Gia and Higgins but yes as a group the senior guys didn't carry the load like they should have.

Before I Die
15-02-2009, 09:45 PM
NAB, smab. Last year we needed credibility and membership. This year we have credibility and if we start the real season well we will get the members. This game was a practice match, pure and simple. It was a chance to blood some kids and try some new things. Sure it would have been nice to win and I am sure all the boys were trying, as were the coaching staff. But if winning is the main thing, you don't permanently remove your number one ruckman from the game at half time, pre-planned or not.

It's only possible to judge each players performance in this game if we know what their instructions were. I am hoping those instructions weren't about shutting down run from the opposition's backline or accountability in the midfield.

I think the depth we are developing now is what is going to give us a real shot at the big one. I loved the grunt and determination all our debutants showed, and that includes Harry White who got a couple of nice touches in the last but hasn't been mentioned yet (unless I missed it). I remember Skipper's debut which was great and he went on to win Best First Year Player that year, so I am not going to get too carried away with Grant's game. But it was much more than I had hoped for.

Mantis
15-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I was happy with the games from Gia and Higgins but yes as a group the senior guys didn't carry the load like they should have.

Maybe picky, but:

Gia - Skills were a bit sloppy. Maybe underdone, but I expect more of a player who is limited in other areas.

Higgins - a bit too lairy for my liking. Too much ball showing, etc... the kid is seriously talented, but I would like to see more head down bum up work than what I saw on Friday.

GVGjr
15-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Maybe picky, but:

Gia - Skills were a bit sloppy. Maybe underdone, but I expect more of a player who is limited in other areas.

Higgins - a bit too lairy for my liking. Too much ball showing, etc... the kid is seriously talented, but I would like to see more head down bum up work than what I saw on Friday.

Varying skill level aside, I was impressed that Gia made it onto the park and played as much as he did. I have seen training a couple of times this year and he was a long way behind the others. To compete like he did was worthy of acknowledgment and one of the positives of the night. If his skill level doesn't improve in the coming weeks then I will be more concerned.

I didn't notice Higgins trying to do more than he is capable of and I was more or less pleased that he was able to slot into the midfield especially since he has primarily been a forward over the last couple of seasons. I actually want to see him take some more risks in his play but I didn't notice it on Friday night.

I haven't see the replay yet so I'll keep an eye out for him.

alwaysadog
15-02-2009, 10:47 PM

Can't disagree, they were there for the taking, I'm not ho hum at all, but we kicked the game away, we didn't play at all well and we were still there with 20 seconds to go, so my disappointment is tempered somewhat, but we were light on, far too many senior players with "injuries" and couldn't seal it, Griff's withdrawal tipped the balance IMO.

I don't think we are as advanced in our preparation as Essendon were, both foot and hand skills seemed not well honed. They've been back several more weeks than we have.

I suspect that we have a new policy with injuries. I think Bill D's approach encourages the early analysis/assessment and treatment of niggles so that they do not become more serious through neglect or lack of rest. I think to our detriment on Friday we were keen to try and get the vast bulk of the list to Round one with as few physical problems as is possible. This means a larger than normal list of "injuries.
Nevertheless we could have/ should have won.

mighty_west
15-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Whilst it was great that both teams played a few more of the experienced players because of the cause, which was pretty obvious when they changed the venue and what the game stood for, i'm not overally fussed about the result.

Yeah would have been nice to win JUST to shut up those Bombers suppoprters, but that was it, i was also over it 1 minute later, was glad that it became a decent hit out, and a tight game.

It is a Mickey Mouse comp, we know that, some clubs play to win, others use this to blood players, look at Sydney over the past few years, and it is a great way to give some of the rookies & young draftee's a go, if we went in fair dinkum, alot of those players would not have played, it's not the be all & end all, if we win great, if not, it's not the end of the world.

Infact teams playing praccy matches are probably more advantaged to trying a few things, giving a few players different roles etc, not panacking if things aren't working out and sticking to idea's & plans without having to worry about the scoreboard.

At least now we know players like Easten Wood & Grant can do a job if required, Grant was lining up on Adam [i'm such a hero] McPeebrain, and still outclassed a bloke 2 times his weight, we now know that his weight isn't as big a problem as some believe, and looks as though his form at the lower level isn't a true indication with a player like Grant, he seems to play better with better players around him.

Picken was OK, needs to work on his game, but, was a good lesson for him to know what it's like at that level, he works hard, so if he doesn't make it, it's not from a lack of trying and hard work.

As mentioned before, Wood looked good, really backed himself which was great, obviously needs to polish up on skills, but he's still a pup, i liked what i saw though.

I wouldn't worry too much about the skills of the experienced players too much, i don't think i have ever seen a first up praccy type game where most players skills are at their best, even the best of players get rusty.

Cam Wight......I hope O'Shea gets some serious game time in the Willy firsts, there is just something there with him, he's still very raw, but i'd rather give game time into players like him than others that are just going to make silly mistakes, plus he has a go, has a bit if mongrel about him, i like that.

Higgins impressed me in the middle, Stack reminds me of Cam Faulkner with the way he plays, he needs to get more of the ball, he shows that he can play.

Sockeye Salmon
15-02-2009, 11:43 PM
As did I.

I don't agree with most of them.

I thought Cross was very good, Boyd had a poor first half but a good 2nd half, Eagleton was very ordinary, Gia missed one soda, one tough snap and burned the ball once in the last but was otherwise excellent (get it that many times you're bound to turn it over now and again, Cam Wight didn't have a mis-kick all night) and for mine, Higgins was a clear BOG.

lemmon
16-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Not worried. We played fairly poorly and still only lost by a point if we had taken our oppertunities (Grants kicking, Harbrow and Gia running into open goals) we would have got up. Was a good, competitive hit out even if the skills were lacking. From this sort of game the skills are always going to be poor particularly with our late start. Just one or two concerns though we really shouldve smashed them in the ruck against an under done Hille and youngster Bellchambers I though Minson really struggled, Skipper was Ok at best and Hudson was good but probably a bit underdone. The other observation was how vital Tom Williams is, if he comes good its going to be massive for our backline, if not we are really going to need Everitt and Tiller to step up.

Ozza
16-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Not too phased with how we went as a side. The Nab Cup doesn't really mean anything in terms of the result - more just to look at how the players from outside the normal 22 go.

Most disappointing were Skipper and Wight. How Skipper is still on the list is beyond me.
Grant was impressive, great hands and looks a smart player - but had some very immature shots on goal - never looked like kicking them on the apparoach.

The Ruck contingent is a concern.

Was really impessed with Higgins' ball winning - and thought it was a good first hit out for him.

LostDoggy
16-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Who was the little speedy bloke on a wing in the second half? I thought it was Easton Wood (dark black bushy hair), but 29 with the taped shoulders is Eastern Wood as it turns out on the website :(

The Coon Dog
16-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Who was the little speedy bloke on a wing in the second half? I thought it was Easton Wood (dark black bushy hair), but 29 with the taped shoulders is Eastern Wood as it turns out on the website :(

Jamason Daniels

LostDoggy
16-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Jamason Daniels

Ah, cheers. Next time i'll fork out $7 for a record.

mighty_west
16-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Ah, cheers. Next time i'll fork out $7 for a record.

If you had of been near our area [Aisle 15], you would have exactly known who Daniels was, he has his own very loud cheer squad.

ledge
16-02-2009, 04:23 PM
I think from what i am reading here your all over reacting, a win is good but with the amount of kids we played and the way they played i applaud the kids for the efforts they put in, and Eade for playing so many with confidence of us still capable of winning.
Lets look at the game standing back a little, when did we or any team play so many kids and have senior players doing different things to what they usually did?
Personally i am very happy with the way we got a look at so many of our young guns in one game and only lost by a point!
Another point is the younguns played their first game in front of 35000 people, we know from past players how some have said they froze when they played in front of a big crowd the first time, these kids of ours certainly didnt freeze.
Heres a question for everyone, think of all the senior players who missed and who would you actually drop to fit them in?
In asking this question i know we had great players out and they will obviously walk in to the side but who played bad enough to get dropped ?
None would get dropped for not being good enough or playing bad games, thats what that game was great for in my opinion.
Eade is going to have some headaches in selection this year.

Happy Days
16-02-2009, 06:52 PM
As soon as the AFL started gimmics like 9pt goals and play on off the goal posts any shred of credibility the NAB cup might have had evaporated.

It is a Mickey Mouse competition and I'm perfectly happy not be constrained by it for the next 3 weeks.

Seconded..

Plus now we don't even have to pretend to try, because as little as the NAB cup means, the challenge means less.

Dancin' Douggy
16-02-2009, 07:18 PM
I think from what i am reading here your all over reacting, a win is good but with the amount of kids we played and the way they played i applaud the kids for the efforts they put in, and Eade for playing so many with confidence of us still capable of winning.
Lets look at the game standing back a little, when did we or any team play so many kids and have senior players doing different things to what they usually did?
Personally i am very happy with the way we got a look at so many of our young guns in one game and only lost by a point!
Another point is the younguns played their first game in front of 35000 people, we know from past players how some have said they froze when they played in front of a big crowd the first time, these kids of ours certainly didnt freeze.
Heres a question for everyone, think of all the senior players who missed and who would you actually drop to fit them in?
In asking this question i know we had great players out and they will obviously walk in to the side but who played bad enough to get dropped ?
None would get dropped for not being good enough or playing bad games, thats what that game was great for in my opinion.
Eade is going to have some headaches in selection this year.

I'm pretty damn certain Cam Wight would be dropped. He stunk to high heaven. Everything he touched or even almost touched or was even remotely near was a disaster.

ledge
16-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah admittedly Cam is an exception.
Going on the kids though it was all positive , even OSheas midemeanor was showing his hunger to be in the side.
Make no bones about it our future looks very good and i do believe its the very immediate future.

Mantis
16-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't agree with most of them.

I thought Cross was very good, Boyd had a poor first half but a good 2nd half, Eagleton was very ordinary, Gia missed one soda, one tough snap and burned the ball once in the last but was otherwise excellent (get it that many times you're bound to turn it over now and again, Cam Wight didn't have a mis-kick all night) and for mine, Higgins was a clear BOG.

Perhaps in hindsight I am being a little unkind to our 'senior' players.

I was however disappointed a few parts of their games which don't seem to have improved over the off-season. ie. getting forward of the ball, skill level.

It will be very interesting to see how our midfield functions & what roles our senior players are given when Griffen & Cooney return to the team.

Before I Die
16-02-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm pretty damn certain Cam Wight would be dropped. He stunk to high heaven. Everything he touched or even almost touched or was even remotely near was a disaster.

I think that is a little bit tough. He didn't have a great game, but I watched him a fair bit and he was continually trying to do the team thing, often to his detriment. eg. Trying to block for others to lead or create space when really as the CHF he should be the main man. Unfortunately for Cam he would be a better footballer if he was 6 inches shorter. If any of the new talls come through his days are numbered. However, as a dogs supporter I am continually disappointed by some of the personal attacks regularly directed at him when it is absolutely clear that he gives his everything each time he pulls on the dogs jumper.

soupman
16-02-2009, 10:37 PM

This bit made me think

New Players:
-Jarryd Grant
-Brennan Stack
-Jamason Daniels
-Easton Wood
-Henry White
-Liam Picken
-Paul O'Shea

Players playing a different role:
-Shaun Higgins (midfield instead of forward)
-Cameron Wight (Forward instead of Back)

Unestablished players playing usual role:
-Callan Ward
-Wayde Skipper

LostDoggy
16-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I think that is a little bit tough. He didn't have a great game, but I watched him a fair bit and he was continually trying to do the team thing, often to his detriment. eg. Trying to block for others to lead or create space when really as the CHF he should be the main man. Unfortunately for Cam he would be a better footballer if he was 6 inches shorter. If any of the new talls come through his days are numbered. However, as a dogs supporter I am continually disappointed by some of the personal attacks regularly directed at him when it is absolutely clear that he gives his everything each time he pulls on the dogs jumper.

I was far from a personal attack cos it was the truth, he stunk.

westdog54
16-02-2009, 11:00 PM

Don't get me wrong, I know that he's trying his guts out there, but when you are a professional footballer trying your guts out only gets you by for so long. When it comes down to it, he makes poor decisions, lacks awareness and peripheral vision and is his basic skills let him down far too often for my liking.

I highly doubt that being 6 inches shorter would in any way whatsoever make him a better footballer. With his athleticism and fitness his height should be an advantage, not an excuse.

Sockeye Salmon
16-02-2009, 11:05 PM

If Cam was 6 inches shorter he'd still be running around with Rupetswood.

I admire him for having a crack but he's a long way short of AFL standard. No disrespect intended, there's a few of us here who fell short of AFL standard as well.

If Cam plays a game this year we are in big trouble.

alwaysadog
16-02-2009, 11:15 PM

Well said... and he's not the only one. Sometimes I think certain posters have either not been to the game or are wearing such inadequate glasses that they see only very selected parts of the game.

alwaysadog
16-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I was far from a personal attack cos it was the truth, he stunk.

A long way from truth Ernie, and as you of all people know it had no analysis and was a blanket for little more than abuse. The sense of smell has nothing to do with football.

If you have an opinion it will be respected here but you need to go back to telling us exactly what it was that disappointed you and what he did that was positive.

No body spends 120 minutes and does nothing right, unless the observer has got himself prejudiced against acknowledging the evidence of his own eyes.

LostDoggy
16-02-2009, 11:31 PM
I saw the game in parts but he was beaten numerous times by Ryder when at CHF, he wasn't able to make a contest at all.
There was 2 on 1 against Ryder where he couldn't protect our player in a better position to win the the ball.

What are we suppose to say, he played a reasonable game? thats more far from the truth.

alwaysadog
16-02-2009, 11:35 PM

Perhaps I'm getting pedantic but DD you tell me nothing other than your state of mind.

I might agree with you or I might not but I don't know because you give me nothing other than the grossest generalisations to work on.

I'm not even sure that your image works and it's pretty mixed one; smell, heaven and disasters. Sounds to me like you are unhappy, but when I ask myself excatly what is he upset about in Cam's game I have no idea. I have no way of knowing which of the passages of play I witnessed should have turned out differently and what Cam should have done about them.

GVGjr
16-02-2009, 11:38 PM
I saw the game in parts but he was beaten numerous times by Ryder when at CHF, he wasn't able to make a contest at all.
There was 2 on 1 against Ryder where he couldn't protect our player in a better position to win the the ball.

What are we suppose to say, he played a reasonable game? thats more far from the truth.

A lot of players didn't have a great night but typically guys like Wight, Eagleton and Skipper always seem to cop the scrutiny much more than some of the other guys. All players have bad nights from time to time but I think we often go too hard at them when they do.
Wight had a bad night and things certainly didn't go his way but I'm not sure that he actually 'stunk it up'. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but in my opinion that assessment was a bit harsh.

alwaysadog
16-02-2009, 11:43 PM

Ernie thanks for your latest post it's a great help. You are confusing two things.

Firstly you are entitled to your opinion and I probably agree in large part but secondly you did not do your reading public the courtesy of providing your reasons and your evidence. At least now you are giving me and any one else following this thread with something to think about.

I'll have a careful look at the replay and think about what you have said, though I think GVGs reminder that he wasn't on his Pat Malone should also be taken into acount.

I wasn't defending him other than in the general sense that he had been found guilty without charges having been laid and evidence taken into account.

LostDoggy
16-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Didn't see the game, but we must remember it was our first competitive hit out, if you are not happy with anyone's performance out there perhaps you should put your hand up and show them how to do it, its not hard you know! you only need to be a bloody superstar!

Go_Dogs
17-02-2009, 09:28 AM
I think the depth we are developing now is what is going to give us a real shot at the big one. I loved the grunt and determination all our debutants showed, and that includes Harry White who got a couple of nice touches in the last but hasn't been mentioned yet (unless I missed it).

Yes, agreed. Looked like he was given the task of running around with Lovett which I thought was a good idea. Got low on a hard ball well, and seemed to get to some good spots a few times.

Daniels looks a likely type too - his running style is a bit strange but he's a powerful unit b y the looks.

LostDoggy
17-02-2009, 09:53 AM
If you had of been near our area [Aisle 15], you would have exactly known who Daniels was, he has his own very loud cheer squad.

L3, aisle 37 it think. Had the Callan Ward appreciation society directly behind me. Had to be young and female to join by the sounds of it :)

LostDoggy
17-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Sorry but if you compare the performances in what I saw of the game Wight was a lot worse than Eagleton and Skipper. While both probably weren't great, they each kicked goals and got some effective kicks. I can't name one moment where Wight contributed as much.

LostDoggy
17-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Have to say I can't see Wight ever being a CHF. He has impressed me in the past down back for his work ethic and I think he can match up well on a third tall (and will do a honest job at CHB as well), the problem is its hard to get a game in our backline (especially with questionable foot skills).

LostDoggy
17-02-2009, 11:11 AM
I agree with Ernie. I have had the privelige of recording the gazme on IQ and can safely say that Cam had a very ordinary game. He was caught holding the ball on more than one occasion, misread the play time again and seemed to be getting in the way. he seemed scared and very lost, the typical trademarks of a player with no confidence knowing full well his career is on the line!!

I would like to look at his overall effectiveness because Im pretty sure he had very little by way of effective disposals.

I can't help but think back to 06 when he was playing week in week out and doing a pretty good job down.

I was in London for our final against Collingwood, I remember sitting in a pub watching the game thinking, Cam Wight may actually turn out to be a player for us. I'm not quite sure what has happened between now and then??

His confidence can't be good when you know you're the first one dropped after a poor game.

Desipura
17-02-2009, 01:41 PM

One marking contest was right in front of me, it was Cam vs Ryder with a teammate at the back of the pack.
Cam was watching the player and not the ball and was easily outmarked, just does not have the smarts to outmark his opponent or at least bring it to ground. As you have all pointed out, he tries his guts out just does not have what it takes to be a permanent player in the AFL.

bornadog
17-02-2009, 01:59 PM
One marking contest was right in front of me, it was Cam vs Ryder with a teammate at the back of the pack.
Cam was watching the player and not the ball and was easily outmarked, just does not have the smarts to outmark his opponent or at least bring it to ground. As you have all pointed out, he tries his guts out just does not have what it takes to be a permanent player in the AFL.

Love to have Ryder in my team.

Stefcep
17-02-2009, 02:28 PM

Mcphee firing up after that showed just want a tool he is! The guy is finished and is using his rough hero tactics to keep his spot in the side. Solomon V2. :rolleyes:

Actually waht do people think of that type of thing? Personally i don't mind players standing shoulder to shoulder, especially if the ball is nearby, but i don't like to see one player punch another player in the chest or the arm with a clenched fist when they are simply walking back, when the ball isn't even in play. What do other people think? does that add or detract from the game/

LostDoggy
17-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Love to have Ryder in my team.

Might be a good player but you can't judge his performance if he plays on Wight.
He kills us all the time cos we have no good tall CHF. Whats he like on the big names?

craigsahibee
17-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Actually waht do people think of that type of thing? Personally i don't mind players standing shoulder to shoulder, especially if the ball is nearby, but i don't like to see one player punch another player in the chest or the arm with a clenched fist when they are simply walking back, when the ball isn't even in play. What do other people think? does that add or detract from the game/

To me, it indicates that their opponent is on top. I don't think it detracts from the game but it certainly doesn't enhance it either. When your opponent has to resort to those kind of tactics you know you've got them.

Stefcep
17-02-2009, 03:59 PM
To me, it indicates that their opponent is on top. I don't think it detracts from the game but it certainly doesn't enhance it either. When your opponent has to resort to those kind of tactics you know you've got them.

Thats interesting. You see it as an action that it is an admission that the perpetrator can't compete on the basis of skill, so has to resort to underhanded means to compete. fair enough.

Personally i think there's just too much of this sort of niggle thats showing up more and more in the game.

if a guy does it for 3 quarters is it OK if his opponent then gives him one to the point that he winds him and doubles him over? where do we draw the line? it p.issed me off when i saw mcphee do this to a youngish kid so as to clearly intimidate him

LostDoggy
17-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Thats interesting. You see it as an action that it is an admission that the perpetrator can't compete on the basis of skill, so has to resort to underhanded means to compete. fair enough.

Personally i think there's just too much of this sort of niggle thats showing up more and more in the game.

if a guy does it for 3 quarters is it OK if his opponent then gives him one to the point that he winds him and doubles him over? where do we draw the line? it p.issed me off when i saw mcphee do this to a youngish kid so as to clearly intimidate him

Mate. It was McPhee. This is a guy who has achieved very little in his AFL career and clearly has mental issues. We've seen him dance around on the outside of packs when it comes to trouble (playing for Aust V Ireland) and have the shit belted out of him by Vanderberg et al, then threaten to get revenge (line in the sand game & he never got revenge). I sat with an Essendon mate at the last game. We were in total agreeance on McPhee.

As has been said previously, it's just roughhouse tactics employed by players who know their time is up or they don't have the skill to match their opponent. In McPhees' case when the heat gets turned he rarely responds.

Dancin' Douggy
17-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Perhaps I'm getting pedantic but DD you tell me nothing other than your state of mind.

I might agree with you or I might not but I don't know because you give me nothing other than the grossest generalisations to work on.

I'm not even sure that your image works and it's pretty mixed one; smell, heaven and disasters. Sounds to me like you are unhappy, but when I ask myself excatly what is he upset about in Cam's game I have no idea. I have no way of knowing which of the passages of play I witnessed should have turned out differently and what Cam should have done about them.

Maybe I was a little melodramatic. But should we all just say "yeah, nah, yeah, boys done well, at least he's having a crack, etc etc.
Surely these sites are for people to give a little more than the drab opinions expressed by players and officials of the club. Maybe I went over the top but it's just a form of expression. like "I could have killed him".

Now Cam Wight played a shocker. Aside from the obvious miskicks and handballs, Dropped marks and such the like. He repeatedly ran to the wrong spots.
One example. He ran straight to the point where a team mate was blocking the path of a running opponent instead of corralling him by blocking his escape route to the side. (Westy was an absolute expert at this). Leaving an easy baulk and sidestep out for the opposition who should have been hemmed against the boundary.

If you want all the details of everything he did wrong, the minute mark of each quarter and the other players involved I'm afraid I don't have time for that. But plenty of other posters have backed up my assessment of his game which I have watched twice.
There's the old argument of 'he gives his all' and 'he had a bad night' but after 7, going on 8 years on the senior list I'm afraid that's not enough.
Remember Cam was drafted in 2002 so I'm not having a crack at a young kid in his first season.

Now for some positives. I was impressed with the obvious potential of Grant and also Easton Wood. And maybe I'm wrong but I reckon the young Chris Grant was even skinnier than Jarrad Grant is now.
I also loved Higgins' game. Great to see him fit and firing. There is a huge upside to what he may be able to achieve in the midfield.
It was sad to see Westy's old number on a new back but I think Higgins will do it proud. I expect Him, Griffen and Cooney to explode this year and be our big 3 midfielders like Judd, Kerr, Cousins.

I'm looking forward immensely to the year but I just don't think Cam's going to be big part of it unless he has a miraculous transformation.
Of course I hope he does.

G-Mo77
17-02-2009, 05:45 PM
As has been said previously, it's just roughhouse tactics employed by players who know their time is up or they don't have the skill to match their opponent. In McPhees' case when the heat gets turned he rarely responds.

Which is pretty much the reason I labeled him Solomon V2. Solomon has not been that good for many years now and became the "thug" at Essendon and now at Freo. McPhee is a spud, can't compete at this level any more so he acts as the pretend tough guy which so many do at AFL level because they know most players won't hit back.

I'd love his bitch ass to play at a much lower level were the camera is not there.

Go_Dogs
17-02-2009, 06:15 PM

I tend to agree - although it's important to remember that Ryder is going to be a pretty special player - and is very Hill-like in the way he seemingly lazily drifts through a contest and claims the mark.

Wight was pretty disappointing. His awareness when in possession was poor, his decision making subsequently was pretty bad. He does throw his body around though, but seems to really lack the confidence to attack the ball, and seems to almost wait for the contact.

He did seem to me like he's put on a bit of size though.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Speaking of Wight, I saw him today in the Highpoint shopping centre.

He really hasn't got too much bulk. He was wearing a singlet, so there was nothing covering his arms, and yet still he looked pretty skinny. Even my mother - who doesn't really follow football - was surprised he was an AFL player and has been for 5+ years.

Mantis
17-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Speaking of Wight, I saw him today in the Highpoint shopping centre.

He really hasn't got too much bulk. He was wearing a singlet, so there was nothing covering his arms, and yet still he looked pretty skinny. Even my mother - who doesn't really follow football - was surprised he was an AFL player and has been for 5+ years.

He's been on an AFL list for 5+ years, not sure about the other part.

alwaysadog
17-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Maybe I was a little melodramatic. But should we all just say "yeah, nah, yeah, boys done well, at least he's having a crack, etc etc.
Surely these sites are for people to give a little more than the drab opinions expressed by players and officials of the club. Maybe I went over the top but it's just a form of expression. like "I could have killed him".

By the way this is not personal it's about how we try to do things here. Look I'm not against people being passionate about their football, anybody who has read my blogs knows I'm as passionate as it's possible to be about things red, white and blue... and I don't want to see poor performance excused.

It should be commented upon, but not by negative opinions that aren't backed up, with analysis and argument. The reader needs to be able to tell whether someone's just scapgoating as so often happens or if that person has it in for the player no matter what happens or if they have a valid argument to put.

If someone just wants to let off steam then it's not something that should be inflicted on all the other users of this site. There is another place where that sort of thing seems to be encouraged. Most of us once inhabited it but we got fed up with being dragged into nonsense and joined here to operate at a higher level.

Your post of which I have copied the first part is a really good example of what this site was created to encourage, classy stuff, just like the football played by your original wearer of your nom be plume.

Desipura
18-02-2009, 10:43 AM
By the way this is not personal it's about how we try to do things here. Look I'm not against people being passionate about their football, anybody who has read my blogs knows I'm as passionate as it's possible to be about things red, white and blue... and I don't want to see poor performance excused.

[B]It should be commented upon, but not by negative opinions that aren't backed up, with analysis and argument. The reader needs to be able to tell whether someone's just scapgoating as so often happens or if that person has it in for the player no matter what happens or if they have a valid argument to put.

If someone just wants to let off steam then it's not something that should be inflicted on all the other users of this site. There is another place where that sort of thing seems to be encouraged. Most of us once inhabited it but we got fed up with being dragged into nonsense and joined here to operate at a higher level.

Your post of which I have copied the first part is a really good example of what this site was created to encourage, classy stuff, just like the football played by your original wearer of your nom be plume.
Very well put, could not have said it better. Hence why I made a point of it under the captain thread.

LostDoggy
18-02-2009, 12:49 PM
I say give him a couple games this year, and if he doesnt play well enough to keep his spot, delist him at the end of the year..

With plenty of talls coming through (well Ayce Cordy) and Williams back in full flight I dont believe he can contribute enough to stay on our list...not saying I dont like him, but has had plenty of chances but I just dont think hes up to AFL standards

craigsahibee
18-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Which is pretty much the reason I labeled him Solomon V2. Solomon has not been that good for many years now and became the "thug" at Essendon and now at Freo. McPhee is a spud, can't compete at this level any more so he acts as the pretend tough guy which so many do at AFL level because they know most players won't hit back.

I'd love his bitch ass to play at a much lower level were the camera is not there.

Classic case of "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane"

LostDoggy
18-02-2009, 02:28 PM

Sorry thats incorrect its 'looks like Jane, plays like Jane'.

mighty_west
18-02-2009, 02:31 PM

Patrick Wiggins thread.

G-Mo77
18-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Patrick Wiggins thread.

I don't get it? :confused:

Scraggers
18-02-2009, 05:21 PM

Funny !! :D

Sorry thats incorrect its 'looks like Jane, plays like Jane'.

Funnier !! :D