PDA

View Full Version : Possible Change to the Father and Son Rule

Bulldog4life
09-03-2009, 02:43 PM
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/fatherson-rule-may-be-eased/2008/05/20/1211182803000.html

I was wondering whether anyone has heard what happened to North's proposal to reduce the father and son rule from 100 games to 50 games.

It was in May last season and the link is to the article by Caroline Wilson.

The AFL at the time was not unresponsive to the suggestion and I bring it up because at the end of the year Joseph Groenewegen, whose father Robert played 79 games for our club, is eligible for the draft.

I haven't seen him play but by all accounts he should go in the top 10. Please correct me if I am wrong there.

It would be terrific if the cards fell our way for once, like it did for Geelong when they snaffled some of their father and son recruits.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Don't know, I hope so.
I read today that Luke Darcy is mentoring young Groenewegen at the AIS.

ledge
09-03-2009, 07:38 PM
AFL might wait until next year too look at it after GC17 have had a good list.
Lets face it if Gronna jnr is good the AFL want to see those players go to GC17.

Bulldog4life
09-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Don't know, I hope so.
I read today that Luke Darcy is mentoring young Groenewegen at the AIS.

Yes I noticed that too. Be interesting to see what happens with this rule.

LostDoggy
10-03-2009, 11:28 AM
If they wont change it to 50 then they should at least make it 75 games.

Raw Toast
10-03-2009, 01:48 PM
If they wont change it to 50 then they should at least make it 75 games.

I'd be happy for them to make it 79 :)

Mitcha
10-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Guys, my first post. Have heard that father son rule will stay at 100 games which is unfortunate as we won't get access to Gronna's kid but will have plenty to come shortly with the sons of Steven Wallis, Tony Liberatore and Mark Hunter all showing plenty of promise with Wallys kid Mitchell considered a walkup start.

The Coon Dog
10-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Guys, my first post. Have heard that father son rule will stay at 100 games which is unfortunate as we won't get access to Gronna's kid but will have plenty to come shortly with the sons of Steven Wallis, Tony Liberatore and Mark Hunter all showing plenty of promise with Wallys kid Mitchell considered a walkup start.
Thanks Mitcha, & welcome to WOOF, hope you enjoy it here.

lemmon
11-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Speaking of father sons do any draft watchers know what Libba's son is like. Is he highly rated and where does he play?

soupman
11-03-2009, 11:43 AM

Do you know what type of player Mark Hunters kid is and which draft he is eligible for?

And Libba's son is a midfielder lemmon.

Sockeye Salmon
11-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Do you know what type of player Mark Hunters kid is and which draft he is eligible for?

And Libba's son is a midfielder lemmon.

I've never seen young Libba play but I've been told he's an inside mid who is a bit taller than his dad (he'd want to be) but still only about 178cm. His skills are supposed to be way better than his dad's as well.

As a 16 yo he got 1 BOG for Calder last year.

All Bark no Bite
11-03-2009, 07:17 PM
He might be younger than the others but Doug Hawkins's son I think his name is Ricky? Does anyone know if he plays footy?