PDA

View Full Version : "Untouchables"?

Dry Rot
16-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Was reading that news article here about the GC team and their draft picks.

Made me began to think who our really "untouchable" players are beyond Cooney and Griffin?

There will be many excellent draft picks offered for trade by the GC in the next 2 seasons and IMO it may turn out that most teams' untouchable list may be a lot shorter than many fans think, including ours.

(BTW none of this suggests that we should try to or encourage a trade a player like say a Hahn or Hargrave or Boyd.)

Mantis
16-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Was reading that news article here about the GC team and their draft picks.

Made me began to think who our really "untouchable" players are beyond Cooney and Griffin?

There will be many excellent draft picks offered for trade by the GC in the next 2 seasons and IMO it may turn out that most teams' untouchable list may be a lot shorter than many fans think, including ours.

(BTW none of this suggests that we should try to or encourage a trade a player like say a Hahn or Hargrave or Boyd.)

It's Griffen.

Please continue.....

Dry Rot
16-03-2009, 10:15 PM
It's Griffen.

Please continue.....

Thanks. :) Got any thoughts on the main point?

Rocket Science
16-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Lake has be on the hands off list...Gilbee also.

Also, without wanting to prematurely annoint anyone...Cordy, Grant and Roughead.

You'd also have to think long and hard before despatching any of Murphy, Higgins or a fit Tom Williams.

Beyond that, can't think of anyone else I wouldn't move for the right price.

Mantis
16-03-2009, 10:39 PM
When are we talking? End of the 2010 season?

A fair bit will change between now and then so it's quite hard to speculate.

Cooney, Griffen, Higgins, Everitt & Williams you would think would be definite hands off.

Players of the like of Gilbee, Murf, Boyd, Gia, etc.. will be 28 or 29 so there currency will be pretty much bugger all. It wont be like when Fremantle started up when you could off load junk (not saying they are or will be) for good picks.

I would hope that Cordy, Roughead, Grant, Ward, Hill and a few others would be all looking like becoming key players by the start of the 2011 season so I wouldn't be offloading them either.

I suppose it's going to come down to how we have gone in the 2009 & 2010 seasons before we decide how big a player we will be in the 'GC draft'.

The Underdog
16-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Lake has be on the hands off list...Gilbee also.

Also, without wanting to prematurely annoint anyone...Cordy, Grant and Roughead.

You'd also have to think long and hard before despatching any of Murphy, Higgins or a fit Tom Williams.

Beyond that, can't think of anyone else I wouldn't move for the right price.

I'd keep Morris over the myth of a fit Tom Williams. A fit Tom Williams is good in theory but it's still just a theory.

lemmon
16-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Is it possible we could remain completely untouched or will GC most likely get a player from most if not all clubs

The Underdog
16-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Is it possible we could remain completely untouched or will GC most likely get a player from most if not all clubs

Rumour is that's why Cam Wight is still on the list;)

MrMahatma
17-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I think most teams will feel some pain. It's just how big the pain will be.

They'll want some 'home grown' talent. St Nick is the obvious one, but don't be surprised if Williams can stay on the track, if they make a play for him.

But to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if we lost at least one of Ward, Everitt, Williams, Hill, Harbrow, Roughead, Grant, maybe even a Higgins.

There'll be some serious money available for some young kids if they show a bit of form in the next 2 years.

The list of 'untouchables' in so far as us actively or happily trading is longer than the list of 'untouchables' that might be lured by some extra wedge and hype.

chef
17-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Hopefuly Scott Claytons good relationship with us persuades him to look elsewhere.

mighty_west
17-03-2009, 02:38 PM
I think most teams will feel some pain. It's just how big the pain will be.

They'll want some 'home grown' talent. St Nick is the obvious one, but don't be surprised if Williams can stay on the track, if they make a play for him.

But to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if we lost at least one of Ward, Everitt, Williams, Hill, Harbrow, Roughead, Grant, maybe even a Higgins.

There'll be some serious money available for some young kids if they show a bit of form in the next 2 years.

The list of 'untouchables' in so far as us actively or happily trading is longer than the list of 'untouchables' that might be lured by some extra wedge and hype.

The only way GC get hold of some quality players from other clubs would be through trading, so the other clubs will be making sure all their "untouchables" are well & truly signed up in 2010, so therefor if they want em, they'll have to pay alot for those types.

All clubs will no doubt have to hand over a player or 2, but those players would be on the scrap heap anyway or just depth players.

mighty_west
17-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Our untouchable list :

Cooney
Cordy
Cross
Everitt
Gilbee
Grant
Griffen
Higgins
Lake
Morris
Murphy
Roughead
Ward
Williams [depending on fitness]

LostDoggy
17-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Rumour is that's why Cam Wight is still on the list;)

It'd want to be a great packet of chips. Maybe those Red rock Deli ones. The cracked pepper.

LostDoggy
17-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I suppose it's going to come down to how we have gone in the 2009 & 2010 seasons before we decide how big a player we will be in the 'GC draft'.

Spot on.

I think it's been stated openly and behind closed doors that we expect a premiership in the cabinet by 2010. If we haven't had success by then, it throws up all sorts of scenarios as to what we will be doing with our list at that time!

Sockeye Salmon
17-03-2009, 03:44 PM
The only way GC get hold of some quality players from other clubs would be through trading, so the other clubs will be making sure all their "untouchables" are well & truly signed up in 2010, so therefor if they want em, they'll have to pay alot for those types.

Or perhaps the player managers will just say, "nope, we'll wait until 2010 thanks".

GVGjr
17-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Hopefuly Scott Claytons good relationship with us persuades him to look elsewhere.

You would hope so and he did leave on excellent terms with the club so I doubt he will specifically target any of our players.

LostDoggy
17-03-2009, 04:03 PM
on the contrary, he is there to build a successful list and keep his job, if that means he taps into our list, i fully expect him to do so.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Or perhaps the player managers will just say, "nope, we'll wait until 2010 thanks".

Considering Clayton has already begun talks, that's likely what we'll see with a few players.

Look out for one year contracts from this point forward. Might be a few.

LostDoggy
18-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Well, in contract negotiations, if a team is on the up (like Hawthorn or Geelong or Dogs) they have a bargaining chip with the player in offering them the chance of potentially playing in a dynasty side, even if they don't earn as much as they may have with GC17.

Frankly, if a player doesn't want to sign up on the clubs' terms with regard to the years of the contract JUST BECAUSE of the chance to make more money with GC17, I'd tell them to take a hike and go play VFL. Ask them how much they think they can command after a couple of years out of the system.

It's a no-lose proposition for any club to play hard ball with their players now -- if they sign up all well and good, if they don't they'll be gone in a year or two anyway so why bother putting any more development dollars into them on behalf of GC17? Just delist them mid-season or stick them in VFL reserves to rot.

LostDoggy
18-03-2009, 09:24 AM
From what I understand its only uncontracted players than can be grabbed - sort of like GC having the first 16 picks in the pre season draft?

Even then, I'd think that the likes of Riewoldt would ask to be traded (out of loyalty to the Saints) so he'd likely earn the Saints a high draft pick.

So I wouldn't think we'd see much more than what we do in a normal PSD with perhaps a couple more quality players sliding through.

soupman
18-03-2009, 01:54 PM
From what I understand its only uncontracted players than can be grabbed - sort of like GC having the first 16 picks in the pre season draft?

Yes, but I believe there is a compensation formula involved.

Based on years at club, original draft pick, value to side etc. the side will be compensated with a a relevant draft pick. So in the event that Nick Riewoldt left as an uncontracted player, St.Kilda would get another first round pick. That draft is going to be the most confusing draft ever. Just random picks everywhere.