PDA

View Full Version : Rookie list strategy

Dry Rot
17-03-2009, 01:39 PM
With the dodgy 2010 draft (and maybe beyond) what should our rookie list strategy be?

How long can a player be on the rookie list?

If it's three years, I was thinking that we could have a mini-cleanout end this season (say the retirement of Aker and Eagleton, and delisting Wight, Skipper and someone else) and use the draft for 4 or 5 vacant spots, and then rely more on the rookie list elevations in 2010 when say Johnno, Hudson and Welsh retire.

If it's two only years, then would we only elevate one to maximise our draft picks end this season?

chef
17-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Hopefully young Liberatore and Wallis develop and are father/son picks in the 2010 draft.

mighty_west
17-03-2009, 02:20 PM
With the dodgy 2010 draft (and maybe beyond) what should our rookie list strategy be?

How long can a player be on the rookie list?

If it's three years, I was thinking that we could have a mini-cleanout end this season (say the retirement of Aker and Eagleton, and delisting Wight, Skipper and someone else) and use the draft for 4 or 5 vacant spots, and then rely more on the rookie list elevations in 2010 when say Johnno, Hudson and Welsh retire.

If it's two only years, then would we only elevate one to maximise our draft picks end this season?

I'm pretty sure it's 2 years for rookies, then they have to either be put onto the main list or cut.

We are probably in a fortunate position with our list anyway, there seems to be less dead wood on our list than any other season, and have those father son options coming through as well.

But like you said, although we usually clean out 5 or so players anyway, i think it was last year & 2003 were we only had 3 selections in the National Draft, so we'd most likely cut 5 maybe 6 players anyway, be interesting to see if we elevate Shaw, Mulligan and or Henry White now being in their second season.

mighty_west
17-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Hopefully young Liberatore and Wallis develop and are father/son picks in the 2010 draft.

So will both players be available in the same draft? If so, what happens if both players are nominated by other clubs in the first round? Do we miss out on one, or does the second player simply get knocked down to our second round selection [if we choose to take him]?

The Coon Dog
17-03-2009, 02:34 PM
So will both players be available in the same draft? If so, what happens if both players are nominated by other clubs in the first round? Do we miss out on one, or does the second player simply get knocked down to our second round selection [if we choose to take him]?

Found this answer in another thread. Knew I had answered it somewhere.

Ok, here's the answer.

Father/son meeting commences before trade week.

All potential father/sons are advised by the AFL up front.

It then commences in reverse ladder order. Let's say the side with pick 10 nominate Tom Liberatore & we have pick 16, we can use that selection on him as it's our 'next available pick'.

If someone then nominates Mitch Wallis with say pick 13, we get to use our 'next available pick', which would be selection 32 to use on him.

Got that off Scott Clayton, who incidently feels Ayce Cordy will be a steal this year. Rates him as a top 3 pick. An absolute gift.

bulldogtragic
17-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Can't we take Braedon jones as a rookie if we want him? That would be the 2009 rookie draft.

Plus Tom and Mitch.

I would have thought Shaw and Mulligan would have to do something impressive to get elevated. Dropping Skipper and Wight for either of these two is a nothing move. Also how long is Williamstown going to pay-out for a rookie, depending on evevations, this needs to be considered too.

Mantis
18-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Can't we take Braedon jones as a rookie if we want him? That would be the 2009 rookie draft.

Plus Tom and Mitch.

I would have thought Shaw and Mulligan would have to do something impressive to get elevated. Dropping Skipper and Wight for either of these two is a nothing move. Also how long is Williamstown going to pay-out for a rookie, depending on evevations, this needs to be considered too.

They have said they will do it every year if they feel they have a player capable of filling a 'rookie' role.

They have also stated that the donation will be made to any AFL club who pick up one of their players.

bulldogtragic
18-03-2009, 03:32 PM
They have said they will do it every year if they feel they have a player capable of filling a 'rookie' role.

They have also stated that the donation will be made to any AFL club who pick up one of their players.
Is there anyone on the Willi list this year that could push for rookie selection?

GVGjr
18-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Is there anyone on the Willi list this year that could push for rookie selection?

I'll probably go and have a look at Williamstown vs Sandringham this weekend so I'll have a look. ;) One player who has signed with Williamstown who I think is more than talented enough is ex Magpie Chris Egan. From the 2 games I saw him play last season he is too talented of a player not to be on a a clubs list. He should be OK age wise for a rookie spot.

bulldogtragic
18-03-2009, 05:04 PM
I'll probably go and have a look at Williamstown vs Sandringham this weekend so I'll have a look. ;) One player who has signed with Williamstown who I think is more than talented enough is ex Magpie Chris Egan. From the 2 games I saw him play last season he is too talented of a player not to be on a a clubs list. He should be OK age wise for a rookie spot.
Egan... eh. Why did he never kick on?

Seemed to have talent, was it an attitude or behaviour thing. Injuries. Or just one of those things?

GVGjr
18-03-2009, 05:06 PM

Seemed to have talent, was it an attitude or behaviour thing. Injuries. Or just one of those things?

I haven't heard anything negative regarding his attitude or behaviour but my guess is that injuries just popped up at the wrong times for him.

hujsh
18-03-2009, 05:42 PM
I haven't heard anything negative regarding his attitude or behaviour but my guess is that injuries just popped up at the wrong times for him.

I thought he just played crap when he played at AFL level.

comrade
18-03-2009, 10:27 PM

Wasn't there an issue with Leon Davis at a hairdressing salon?

He played a half with Willy reserves on the weekend and looked a tad pudgy. Will be interesting to see how he progresses through the year - hopefully he isn't just Callum Urch MkII.

GVGjr
18-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Wasn't there an issue with Leon Davis at a hairdressing salon?

He played a half with Willy reserves on the weekend and looked a tad pudgy. Will be interesting to see how he progresses through the year - hopefully he isn't just Callum Urch MkII.

Yes Callum Urch got a bit too big. Egan looked sharp the couple of times I saw him.

Desipura
19-03-2009, 09:57 AM

Collingwood mate of mine says that he would not present himself in the best physical shape come preseason. Always carries a bit extra, but could play.

LostDoggy
19-03-2009, 11:29 PM

Never, never, never impressed me and I saw him play plenty of times!!!