PDA

View Full Version : Harbrow - Why the love?

GVGjr
23-03-2009, 05:29 PM
It's good to see Harbrow mentioned in all the media Bulldog best of teams but I'm still struggling to understand so many WOOF contributors talk him up all the time?

He runs hard, he has a defensive side to his game but the flaws I have seen seem to be missed by so many.

Would someone like to explain why Harbrow seems to be a walk up start for the game against Freo?

The Coon Dog
23-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I perhaps don't rate him to the same degree that Twodogs does, but I reckon he has a certain 'X Factor' about him.

Those 2 instances against Geelong where he backed himself in the Prelim Final are examples of what he's capable of.

As you say GVG, he puts enormous defensive pressure on, which I think is needed as Johnno & Murph aren't the most adept in this area.

Sometimes he can be guilty of not taking the first option & consequently throws players out of alignment, but he's tenacious, works his socks off & in my view there is a spot for him on the forward line.

LostDoggy
23-03-2009, 05:39 PM
http://www.melbournevictory.net/forum/images/set1/001_wub.gif

lemmon
23-03-2009, 05:43 PM
He provides the foward pressure so desperately needed in todays footy, not to mention his fantastic workrate. I think he is a favourite among fans though because he has had to do it the hard way, coming off the rookie list.

LostDoggy
23-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Probably says more about the rest of the forwardline than it does about Harbs, but he's one of the few fast and determined enough able to apply defensive pressure in the forward 50. Seems to be something of a 'trend' in teams having one or two fast indigenous small forwards that chase everything down. Does miss a few tackles that his speed gets him into position to make though.

Also, psychologically speaking, has the propensity to take a game on when momentum seems to be flatlining or turning against the Dogs -- not as yet had a huge impact, but as he matures may well be a match-winning/match-saving trait not naturally possessed by too many players (Dogs or otherwise) who seem to just get caught up in the 'flow' of a game.

I see where you're coming from, G, and I used to be highly sceptical of his contributions, but just for his defensive pressure alone he's a valuable part of the forwardline.

bulldogsman
23-03-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm not a fan of him. When he has the ball, i'm usually screaming GIVE IT GIVE IT. But he rarely does first time, then stuffs up. Plus he doesn't kick enough goals.

lemmon
23-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm not a fan of him. When he has the ball, i'm usually screaming GIVE IT GIVE IT. But he rarely does first time, then stuffs up. Plus he doesn't kick enough goals.

Personally I dont think this a terrible thing, shows his willingness to run and carry and that he is willing to back himself, not the worst thing for a young footballer.

LostDoggy
23-03-2009, 06:20 PM
In my opinion, was one of a few stand outs in finals.

Big time players show up in finals.

azabob
23-03-2009, 06:32 PM
I think his decision making and skills are still not up to scratch. He doesn't give the first option enough and when he does get rid of the footy his option isn't always the best one. His field kicking skills and kicking for goal is poor.
At this stage he is an honest hard working defensive forward who tackles hard.
For me he isn't in our best 22 yet.

In answer to your question why is he in the media teams, most likely is because Eade talks him up as one of the players which will improve this year and should play most games and the media put 2 and 2 together and get 5.

Dry Rot
23-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Guts, excitement and tackles blokes twice his size. Also his flaws/mistakes are kind of exciting, in a strange way. At least he has a crack.

bornadog
23-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Has lots of potential and has shown glimpses of brilliance. I think he needs to improve his disposal when on the run. His enthusiasm is fantastic to see from such a young guy.

I don't think he is a walk up start, but do believe he will be picked this week.

craigsahibee
23-03-2009, 06:59 PM
2nd and 3rd efforts.

Works his arse off and has a crack.

I like unpredictability and that's what Jarrod is all about. So what if he sometimes chooses the wrong option. He is willing to take the game on and that'll do for me. He is in my best 22.

Sedat
23-03-2009, 07:02 PM
It's good to see Harbrow mentioned in all the media Bulldog best of teams but I'm still struggling to understand so many WOOF contributors talk him up all the time?

He runs hard, he has a defensive side to his game but the flaws I have seen seem to be missed by so many.

Would someone like to explain why Harbrow seems to be a walk up start for the game against Freo?
Defensive pressure in the forward line...that's why the love.

I agree, he's not without flaws (he slips over far too much for my liking) but this a very important asset he possesses that doesn't come naturally to many players.

Cyberdoggie
23-03-2009, 08:40 PM
In my opinion, was one of a few stand outs in finals.

Big time players show up in finals.

I agree.

We'll see an improved Harbrow this year due to his experience in the finals.

I'm a big fan because he ticks all my boxes.

Don't get me wrong i think he still needs further improvement,
particularly in some decision making errors.

he still looses his balance/footing sometimes when he tries to do too much.
Also makes some basic skill errors, however his plus side far outweights his negatives.

When he did play at Williamstown i noticed his vision and kicking skills more, particularly when he worked through the midfield. He has the ability to spot players free even when he himself is under pressure. I think we'll see this come out more in his game at the bulldogs this year.

Before I Die
23-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Not in my best 22 at the moment, probably not in my best 25 if the full list is available. Though I suspect a place may open up in the next year or so when Aker, Welsh, Eagleton and possibly Johnno have gone. For me he doesn't bring any more pressure than Welsh or Hahn and doesn't have their strength in the air or the finishing skills of Aker. If an opportunity arose this year in the forward line I would rather see the young talls given a go first.

BulldogBelle
23-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Harbrow is still not in my best 22, I would probably place him around the 23-24 mark at this stage, he has done some good things and also some not so good. He is a hard worker and I hope to see him further improve his skills this coming season.

soupman
23-03-2009, 09:59 PM
For me he's in that group that is ranked 20th-25th. Blokes like Tim Callan, Callan Ward, Stephen Tiller etc. Currently he fits into the 22 I choose though, but only just.

What he adds was shown in the finals. He is probably the only player on our list (other than Lynch) with explosive pace, and as shown vs Geelong and Sydney likes to take the game on even if we haven't got the momentum. He's a player that can make stuff happen by taking risks when other players wouldn't, and consequentially he stuffs it up from time to time. I'm happy to wear that though if he can improve a few aspects of his game:

His disposal is ordinary and often lets him down. He suffers from Farren Ray syndrome in that he frequently gets the ball running into goal and misses. He also stuffs up his passes every so often. If he can learn to finish on the run he could be very damaging.

He also needs to stick his tackles: often he catches them but gets shrugged off. If he can hold on he'll be a lot more effective.

And lastly he needs to get more of the footy. At the moment he gets around 12 possesions a game and maybe 1 goal. If he can bring that up to 2 goals a game and 15 touches he could be a very handy player and turn games when we hit a flat patch.

wb_age
23-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Loved him from his first official hit out with the dogs (intra-club match)

So quick, such a small turning circle and can shrug tackles. (Scarlett in the final)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO0of56RJd8

Cyberdoggie
24-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Loved him from his first official hit out with the dogs (intra-club match)

So quick, such a small turning circle and can shrug tackles. (Scarlett in the final)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO0of56RJd8

just shows you how hard he works doesn't it.

He was at the start of all those runs and was there at the end as well.

If you want a player that's going to help you break the zone defence it's players like Jarrod Harbrow.

Mantis
24-03-2009, 08:42 AM
I am a fan of his work.

While agreeing that his disposal & decision making need some improving I like the defensive pressure he creates and his willingness to take the game on.

As with have an abundance of small/ mid forwards & midfielders for the coming season Jarrod will need to earn his opportunity and then make the most of it when it arrives.

LostDoggy
24-03-2009, 09:18 AM
He works really hard and puts in the second efforts bigtime!

Having said that he has much improvement to make but i thought he really earned his spot last year. Needs to take the next step and become that 25-30+ goal kicker in the side if he is to stay in.

Desipura
24-03-2009, 09:34 AM

He is a walk up start because he took on the opposition in the 2nd biggest game of the year. He dared to take a risk whereas alot of other players took the safer option as they were afraid they would make a mistake.
He is a walk up start for the reasons you mentioned above which all coaches love, Rockets admiration is no different.
He does turn the ball over, no different to a Cross or an Eagleton. Sometimes you need to ask whether the positives outweigh the negatives, in this case they do IMHO.
Also he still has improvement in him. If he was 29yo with the same flaws, there would be more reason for concern.

Ozza
24-03-2009, 11:38 AM
He is a walk up start because he took on the opposition in the 2nd biggest game of the year. He dared to take a risk whereas alot of other players took the safer option as they were afraid they would make a mistake.
He is a walk up start for the reasons you mentioned above which all coaches love, Rockets admiration is no different.
He does turn the ball over, no different to a Cross or an Eagleton. Sometimes you need to ask whether the positives outweigh the negatives, in this case they do IMHO.
Also he still has improvement in him. If he was 29yo with the same flaws, there would be more reason for concern.

Excellent post. This sums up my thoughts on Harbrow. Very handy to have a creative forward like Harbrow - he has plenty of upside and I look forward to see what sort of impact he can make in the middle at times this year pinch hitting.

LostDoggy
24-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm looking forward to the day when Harbrow can murder a game with a dozen touches like Rioli did in the Grand Final.

Small forwards don't get lots of opportunities in big games and when they come along they have to take them.

It's nice to have a bloke who can tackle hard and all that stuff but I want him to get the pill first and do something attacking with it.

For mine the jury is still out on him but he has the potential

aker39
24-03-2009, 12:25 PM
He's in the best 22 because the coach rates him in the best 22.

The Underdog
24-03-2009, 01:27 PM
2nd and 3rd efforts.

Works his arse off and has a crack.

I like unpredictability and that's what Jarrod is all about. So what if he sometimes chooses the wrong option. He is willing to take the game on and that'll do for me. He is in my best 22.

Funny innit? Farren Ray was crucified for often taking the wrong option (or none) even while taking the game on. Yet in Harbrow it's endearing. I wonder for how long.

azabob
24-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Funny innit? Farren Ray was crucified for often taking the wrong option (or none) even while taking the game on. Yet in Harbrow it's endearing. I wonder for how long.

Ah, to true. Nice pick up.

Sockeye Salmon
24-03-2009, 03:37 PM

Jarrod Harbrow < 20 games = superstar
Farren Ray > 20 games = dud

Internet forum rule no. 1

LostDoggy
24-03-2009, 04:17 PM
This season will be his real acid test. It will greatly determine his worth to our team. It's his 3rd season now (I think?) and he should have his AFL smarts about him now. All that being said I reckon it's that sort of season for a lot of our non-star mid-range lads. Agree with Mantis that he will have to take his opportunities. It appears at this point that Eade will select him in Round 1, so it's all up to Harbrow himself.

Desipura
24-03-2009, 04:23 PM
I know what you mean. I am in no way suggesting Harbrow is a superstar, however how many times did you see Farren run down a player with a beautiful tackle. I saw him try and take the opposition on only to be run down from behind due to his lack of awareness.

SonofScray
24-03-2009, 04:49 PM
He is not a certain starter in my books. However, I'd think he'd play most of the year in the senior line up.

I like his endeavour first and foremost, seems committed to applying pressure and his work rate at the contest is right up there. These qualities really shone through during the finals series IMO.

Decision making can appear, or is poor at times but this is more a function of that "magical" style he seems to try and play, lots of flair and reckless efforts. There is a trade off there somewhere which I am not sure what I'd prefer to see. A hard working mercurial type, or a consistent average player.

In all, I think he has the goods to be a real gem for us.

The Underdog
24-03-2009, 05:09 PM
I know what you mean. I am in no way suggesting Harbrow is a superstar, however how many times did you see Farren run down a player with a beautiful tackle. I saw him try and take the opposition on only to be run down from behind due to his lack of awareness.

I'm not defending Farren or damning Jarrod or even having a go at anyone who thinks Harbrow will be a gun. It's just interesting how a player can go from someone viewed as a potential "player" to being on the outer with supporters. I was as frustrated as anyone with Farren last year (he still owes me an AM/FM radio from the game against NM). I like Harbrow, I think he's done some nice things but probably not enough to justify huge prediction's on his future. I think he'll be a solid footballer but whether he attains a higher level than a Shane Birss, Jordan McMahon or Farren Ray I don't know.

aker39
24-03-2009, 05:38 PM
I like Harbrow, I think he's done some nice things but probably not enough to justify huge prediction's on his future. I think he'll be a solid footballer but whether he attains a higher level than a Shane Birss, Jordan McMahon or Farren Ray I don't know.

I don't think anyone is predicting him to be a superstar, but I think he will be in the team more often than not in the next 5 years. HE may be the 22nd person picked each time, but he will be in the team.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-03-2009, 07:09 PM
He'll be better than Birss/Fay - not too sure about McMahon though, he'd have to improve a bit.

I am one of Harbrow's biggest fans and there's no need to reiterate his strengths, but I do agree that his decision making needs to improve. Especially in this pre-season, he's tried to do a little too much, hanging onto the ball too long etc. rather than taking the first option. His disposal is not as bad as what it's made out to be, but because his decision making is far too sporadic, it can be a bit wayward at times.

Still, he's young and brings a lot to this side. If he can continue to improve, then he could become a really good player.

Desipura
25-03-2009, 10:37 AM
He'll be better than Birss/Fay - not too sure about McMahon though, he'd have to improve a bit.

I am one of Harbrow's biggest fans and there's no need to reiterate his strengths, but I do agree that his decision making needs to improve. Especially in this pre-season, he's tried to do a little too much, hanging onto the ball too long etc. rather than taking the first option. His disposal is not as bad as what it's made out to be, but because his decision making is far too sporadic, it can be a bit wayward at times.

Still, he's young and brings a lot to this side. If he can continue to improve, then he could become a really good player.

I wonder if we had a talk marking option in the forward line whether that would improve some players decisions in the midfield?

LostDoggy
05-04-2009, 07:44 PM
What are peoples thoughts on his game today?

From what i seen he played fairly well, came up with some huge plays in the last, when the game was there to be won.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-04-2009, 07:46 PM
I found it hard to gauge how he played - I didn't pay too much attention to who he was lined up on? Both Campbell and Thomas seemed to get a bit of it, but to be fair, I thought Harbrow was very good today. His disposal and creativity was impressive. He kept a cool head down back and made some great spoils - a good effort considering he rarely plays in defence.

The spoil on Petrie was first class.

Stevo
05-04-2009, 07:47 PM

From what i seen he played fairly well, came up with some huge plays in the last, when the game was there to be won.

Better than some of his previous games but he is still inconsistent and a scratchy decision maker.

westdog54
05-04-2009, 07:51 PM

I love his agression and his hardness, will never die wondering. Yes, his decision making left a heck of a lot to be desired, but he sure as hell wasn't alone in that regard today.

ledge
05-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Basically he has balls!

Griffo
05-04-2009, 08:14 PM
He's only played 20-odd games, he'll be a hell of a lot better in a couple of years when he's played 50-60 games. The kid just needs time to develop.