PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Membership

LostDoggy
31-03-2009, 05:56 PM
The Western Bulldogs are well on their way to 30,000 game day members in 2009; a big thank you to in excess 21,000 people who have already become a vital part of the Bulldogs faithful.

With a new major partner secured in Mission Foods, the development of Whitten Oval and a Brownlow Medallist there has never been a better time to show your true passion to the Red, White & Blue. With so many positive things happening both on and off the field, we are destined for more success - we want a Premiership and we want you there with us when we achieve our goal.

We are ready, our coaching staff are prepared and our players have shown their determination with their convincing round one win over Fremantle. Now it’s your turn to show the same commitment and get behind the Club in 2009 – are you with me?

Currently sits at 23,022

Well done to every one who has signed up, hopefully every gets on board soon.

LostDoggy
11-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Update: 24,528

GVGjr
11-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Update: 24,528

It's just starting to drag along isn't it.
We would want to have a good sign up on Monday otherwise 28,000 is about all we will get. Perhaps the stimulus package might help some people sign up.

The Pie Man
11-04-2009, 11:48 AM
You wonder what the figure would be if we'd lost the first 2 games. It get's a bit tiring as a fan, so you canimagine the club's frustration at this.

Get on board people (though I suspect I'm preaching to the mainly converted here)

LostDoggy
11-04-2009, 11:52 AM
30,000 would be great...or even a bit more than last year..I dont understand what else (besides economic situation) would be stopping people joining - We showed what we got last year by coming 3rd and beating the premiers in H&A...2 Wins to start the season off, there's no better reason

Sockeye Salmon
11-04-2009, 01:36 PM
It's just starting to drag along isn't it.
We would want to have a good sign up on Monday otherwise 28,000 is about all we will get. Perhaps the stimulus package might help some people sign up.

It's still 1000 up on the same time last year.

GVGjr
11-04-2009, 07:59 PM
It's still 1000 up on the same time last year.

But given the finish to last year and the two wins this year we should be well ahead of that.

This is the 2nd home game and I think the value of the membership will decline if people don't get on board now.

LostDoggy
11-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Agree it is very disapointing with members being slow to join. The club, players coaches and admin are doing everything in their powers to move the club forward. Members however are very slow to join every year and wait to see if the team will perform before committing to the season - not good enough in my opinion! PS I am a signed up MEMBER FOR LIFE.

angelopetraglia
13-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Beautiful day. Should be a bumper crowd at Docklands today.

Hopefully a number of people sign up today.

ledge
13-04-2009, 11:25 AM
I am still waiting for my membership!
Have to go in today with receipt to get ticket.

LostDoggy
13-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Beautiful day. Should be a bumper crowd at Docklands today.

Hopefully a number of people sign up today.

does anyone know what number of people the club budgets for to sign up on game day?

that way we can know if we are on track to get 30 000

GVGjr
13-04-2009, 12:24 PM
does anyone know what number of people the club budgets for to sign up on game day?

that way we can know if we are on track to get 30 000

Very hard to say. On a glorious day like today they would probably expect a few more tha normal.
I guess there is a very good reason but I still can't see why so many people wait until 2 or 3 home games into the season before they get their memberships. Perhaps it the promise of finals tickets if we are doing well but the value of the membership can't be there much after today's round.

The Adelaide Connection
13-04-2009, 07:55 PM
I've gotta say the membership information on the website is still a shambles. Last years PDF was so much clearer for inclusions etc

But comparing the end of 08 to 07 we should be streets ahead. Lets hope when the $900 cheques arrive the numbers spike.

ledge
13-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I was at the tent today and it was a big line for membership today let me tell you!

GVGjr
13-04-2009, 08:00 PM
I was at the tent today and it was a big line for membership today let me tell you!

I was watching that line from level 2. So many people started lining up just 40 minutes before they game and most wouldn't have got in much before 10 minutes into the first quarter.

I wouldn't be surprised if they signed up 350 people today. The was a steady stream of people from 12.30 onwards.

Dazza
13-04-2009, 08:57 PM
I was with 3 people that signed up. One because he didn't want to wait in line for a ticket haha. Really good crowd today by the way. I missed Scotty wests lap of honour... Was that before the game?

GVGjr
13-04-2009, 09:01 PM
I was with 3 people that signed up. One because he didn't want to wait in line for a ticket haha. Really good crowd today by the way. I missed Scotty wests lap of honour... Was that before the game?

Right on 1.45pm they did the lap

strebla
13-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Right on 1.45pm they did the lap

I to the dome at 1:50 and his car was just pulling off the ground.Terribly disapointed as I love the guy and would have loved cheering him on one more time but a bumper crowd hopefully gave him a great ovation.

comrade
13-04-2009, 09:26 PM
I to the dome at 1:50 and his car was just pulling off the ground.Terribly disapointed as I love the guy and would have loved cheering him on one more time but a bumper crowd hopefully gave him a great ovation.

Great reception from a huge crowd - the hairs were standing on the back of my neck as the champ waved goodbye.

Hopefully he'll be back at the club soon enough.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I am still waiting for my membership!
Have to go in today with receipt to get ticket.

Unfortuantely, the membership department seems to be in a shambles - which is really letting the club down. There is several people complaining on the other site about being stuffed around with their new memberships, with some saying they will just get an AFL membership next year.

I went to collect our doggies pashmina and hats last week and they had run out, which I put down as a good thing, thinking they have sold a lot more memberships than anticipated, but there were quite a few disappointed people there as well.

However yesterday, there were several people complaining that they still had not received their memberships and the department seemed to be expecting these people who have already signed up and paid to go and buy a ticket for the game. For many first year members it does not encourage them to re-sign if they get stuffed around like this.

If anyone gets a chance can they pass this on to the relevant person in charge. We need to keep these members on board.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Unfortuantely, the membership department seems to be in a shambles - which is really letting the club down. There is several people complaining on the other site about being stuffed around with their new memberships, with some saying they will just get an AFL membership next year.

I went to collect our doggies pashmina and hats last week and they had run out, which I put down as a good thing, thinking they have sold a lot more memberships than anticipated, but there were quite a few disappointed people there as well.

However yesterday, there were several people complaining that they still had not received their memberships and the department seemed to be expecting these people who have already signed up and paid to go and buy a ticket for the game. For many first year members it does not encourage them to re-sign if they get stuffed around like this.

If anyone gets a chance can they pass this on to the relevant person in charge. We need to keep these members on board.

You know, it's a strange one, but you're absolutely right about this.

It's strange because we've grown in leaps and bounds with regards to our professionalism in so many other areas except our marketing and membership department -- you would think that this would be the most obvious and easy place to fix up, not to mention the most important, being the 'face' and first point of contact of the club to the general public/fans.

I've been a long, long time member of the Dogs, and I have been quite disappointed over the past few years with the service levels and delivery of memberships (and have expressed these regularly to the club) -- especially when it comes to timely delivery (memberships bought as Christmas presents etc.) The online membership page and process is an absolute shambles also, which is an unforgivable sin in this day and age of universal electronic access, and in a multi-million dollar business. There have also been quite a few problems with the direct debit process as well (taken too much out of my account for the wrong number of memberships, wrong level of memberships etc.)

Like yourself, I personally know some fans who are happy to go along to some games and would be happy to buy a casual membership but have been put off by the lack of information and slowness of response to their enquiries, and at least one who has cancelled because their account was consistently overdrawn for the wrong amount despite calls over several months to the membership department. Of course we can say that they should be 'better' fans and sign up anyway, but the reality is that these are the kinds of people we should be signing up as much as possible to get them bitten by the bug, and the WB are a commercial entity competing for customer dollars, not a charity.

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 11:33 AM
I forgot to mention that the girl who was staffing the tent seemed a bit of a dill - don't like being unkind, but it is essential that we have good customer service people as they represent the face of the club as Lantern said above. Happy to follow up with the club - who should I speak to?

LostDoggy
14-04-2009, 10:02 PM
I would suggest sending an email to Mr Cambell Rose with your concerns.

I have been told by the club that memberships for all 16 clubs come out of AFL House.

bornadog
22-04-2009, 12:42 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/wb_membership_update_280x80.gif

Slowly making some ground.

AndrewP6
23-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Might be a dumb question, but can anyone tell me the difference between "game day" and "total" memberships....which is the figure quoted in the media?

vho
24-04-2009, 12:48 AM
I'm pretty pissed off, i signed up for a membership about 3 weeks ago at the dogs v roos game and still haven't received it in the mail.

Prince Imperial
24-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Might be a dumb question, but can anyone tell me the difference between "game day" and "total" memberships....which is the figure quoted in the media?

Game day memberships are those that allow access to matches and are recognised as "official" memberships by the League. Other memberships such as our Kennel Club are not recognised but go to the total. You can read about them on our website:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/non%20game%20day%20memberships/tabid/10606/default.aspx

Figures quoted in the media are sometimes not clear as to which is the official, ticketed or game day membership and which are the total figure. Our president appeared to cite the total figure earlier this year without really make it clear it was that figure which caused some confusion.

Sometimes on other clubs' websites it is not clear what figure is being used. For example, last year North had a 34k figure but this was later clarified by the AFL to be 32k in official terms. If the same thing is happening this year we would be a lot closer to their official figure (their website is showing about 2k more than us) then it would seem.

Prince Imperial
24-04-2009, 12:54 AM
I'm pretty pissed off, i signed up for a membership about 3 weeks ago at the dogs v roos game and still haven't received it in the mail.

Check out information about this issue from the club here:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2007/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/75515/default.aspx

easybeat
24-04-2009, 12:20 PM
I can't believe we have the lowest membership in the league at the moment.
Slackers should join up NOW!

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 08:13 PM
People are getting free memberships as well.

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 08:29 PM
I think even Melbourne have more than 30,000, and they haven't even won a game in the last 12 years! ;) I think it's a pretty poor effort.

Prince Imperial
24-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I think even Melbourne have more than 30,000, and they haven't even won a game in the last 12 years! ;) I think it's a pretty poor effort.

True, but the AFL lets them count thousands of MCC Associate memberships as part of their official total. These cost only $50 each and provide no game day access and they should not be being included.

According to last year's annual reports of both clubs we had $1m more membership revenue than them and I reckon we can expect a similar difference this year.

LostDoggy
29-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Update

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/portals/0/images_bulldogs/wb_membership_update_280x80.gif

ledge
29-04-2009, 09:52 PM
I joined my daughter up on the weekend, cant get my son interested, he is more into music.

bornadog
30-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Update

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/portals/0/images_bulldogs/wb_membership_update_280x80.gif

According to Smorgo, we only count the full memberships in our total whereas many clubs, like Collingwood, Hawks etc, also count the three game memberships and other types as well. He said if we did that we would be 30,000.

He also mentioned 6000 members haven't resigned this year yet.

hujsh
30-04-2009, 04:44 PM
According to Smorgo, we only count the full memberships in our total whereas many clubs, like Collingwood, Hawks etc, also count the three game memberships and other types as well. He said if we did that we would be 30,000.

He also mentioned 6000 members haven't resigned this year yet.

We struggle to keep members every year it seems.

The Coon Dog
30-04-2009, 11:14 PM
I have the same problem with my son. What's wrong with the younger generation? How could you possibly choose culture over footy?

Some parents have a lot to answer for! ;)

ledge
01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Some parents have a lot to answer for! ;)

Its the mums fault I tell ya!

Bulldog4life
01-05-2009, 03:14 PM
True, but the AFL lets them count thousands of MCC Associate memberships as part of their official total. These cost only $50 each and provide no game day access and they should not be being included.

According to last year's annual reports of both clubs we had $1m more membership revenue than them and I reckon we can expect a similar difference this year.

That would seem to be a fairer way to compare how the Clubs are going with their memberships. Base it purely on reveue.

LostDoggy
01-05-2009, 03:18 PM
I have the same problem with my son. What's wrong with the younger generation? How could you possibly choose culture over footy?

Why choose? It's not an either/or proposition.. one can love/be involved with both (Brett Lee being the exception), as many on WOOF can attest to.

Mofra
01-05-2009, 05:07 PM
I joined my daughter up on the weekend, cant get my son interested, he is more into music.
The theme song isn't music?

Beside, there are a few music-fan types here who also happen to be intelligent posters, good looking, well hung and very charming. Cake & eat it too.

The Underdog
01-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Beside, there are a few music-fan types here who also happen to be intelligent posters, good looking, well hung and very charming. Cake & eat it too.

I don't fit any of those but I do like music and football...

I saw Mark Seymour of "The Hunnas" in a Dogs scarf carrying 3 beers at half time last week. About the only good part of the day. I would have said something to him but I was busy seething at the time.

LostDoggy
01-05-2009, 06:13 PM

I'm not especially charming, but I guess the rest is true ...

ledge
01-05-2009, 06:18 PM
A few well hung posters?
I have a few old Bulldog ones that are well hung, i know that because they have been on my wall for years

AndrewP6
01-05-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't fit any of those but I do like music and football...

I saw Mark Seymour of "The Hunnas" in a Dogs scarf carrying 3 beers at half time last week. About the only good part of the day. I would have said something to him but I was busy seething at the time.

I saw him too... have seen him probably four or five times since last year...

The Adelaide Connection
14-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Last I checked this footy club finished third last season and with some straighter kicking may have found themselves on the big stage. They are currently sitting third again, without even getting to the level they can, and whilst they are sitting a fair deal off the two front runners, are certainly well placed to have a reasonable crack.

SO why are there 6,500 members (roughly 1/5th of last years figure) who have not resigned from last year. It would be quick and easy (and reasonable) to suspect that financial pressures have contributed to that figure somewhat. However we had similar problems with retention the year before when the world wasn't going all 'Grapes of Wrath'.

So if it isn't financial, what is it?

My concern is that if we struggle to retain members nevermind grow when we are one of the competitions frontrunners, what is going to happen when we, god forbid, experience our turn back down the bottom?

bornadog
10-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Does anyone have an update? The WB website hasnot updated the figures for some 3/4 weeks. There is only a few weeks left for membership and I am doubting we will even make 30,000 full members.

LostDoggy
10-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Does anyone have an update? The WB website hasnot updated the figures for some 3/4 weeks. There is only a few weeks left for membership and I am doubting we will even make 30,000 full members.

I am doubting we will make 28,000.

LostDoggy
11-06-2009, 03:20 AM
26,981 is the current membership total. Appalling.

The Dogs have only 26,981 members, still short of last year's total of 28,306, and are unlikely to reach the 2008 club record of 28,725.

There are 6300 from last season still to sign up and the club believes its churn rate of nearly 25 per cent is unacceptably high.

G-Mo77
11-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Yeah it is really disappointing. There are a few people at work who I have hounded about signing up, I've also sat next to a lot of supporters at the games who are not members and urged them to sign up, managed to get a few that way (I think). I don't think a lot of people understand how important a membership is, a lot of people still believe that turning up on the day and paying for a ticket helps. :(

If we are struggling to find members when we are having success on the field what chance do we have if we bottom out. It's going to get pretty dire.

bornadog
11-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Yeah it is really disappointing. There are a few people at work who I have hounded about signing up, I've also sat next to a lot of supporters at the games who are not members and urged them to sign up, managed to get a few that way (I think). I don't think a lot of people understand how important a membership is, a lot of people still believe that turning up on the day and paying for a ticket helps. :(

If we are struggling to find members when we are having success on the field what chance do we have if we bottom out. It's going to get pretty dire.

As Campbell Rose says the culture is against us and how to change that is the difficult bit.

LostDoggy
11-06-2009, 03:07 PM
As Campbell Rose says the culture is against us and how to change that is the difficult bit.

As a business, it is the responsbility of the club to create a product that will be appealing to its prospective customers. Currently, we have a generic 'membership' package (with some minor variation in detail) that all clubs use regardless of the demographic of their fanbase -- so you have independently wealthy Hawthorn members living in Kew offered the same (or very similar) packages to a working class family living in (insert suburb here, don't want to inadvertantly offend anybody).

That's not good business.

While I am a member, I just don't see how following a football team, which is supposed to be competing on the same level with such 'entertainment' sources as movies and hospitality, can possibly be competitive if priced and structured on the same level as car or medical insurance, which is what a $300+ annual commitment is on the level of.

---

Now, let's assume that 20,000 is the baseline that will sign up regardless of what the product is (seems about right as the churn rate averages around 25% annually).

Campbell seems to suggest that the Dogs as a team are the product -- they're exciting, relatively successful etc. etc.

That's fair enough, except that people evaluate the membership based on its cost-benefit, not on how pretty the Dogs look on-field, and currently it's an outlay of $300+ for a schedule that people may not be able to commit to that far in advance (thus the preference for buying their tickets closer to the date of the game), which (as evidenced by the churn rate) is not something many people find unsustainable. The MEMBERSHIP PACKAGES are the product, not the Dogs.

Also (anecdotally anyway), the bulk of our future support will come from the growing corridors in Melbourne's west. These are made up of relocating families from other parts of Australia, as well as new migrants. This potential customer base will NOT commit to 11 or 17 game packages, especially if they are new to the sport.

--

I think that there is far more that can be done in terms of flexible membership packages, and I don't think the ones that we have currently go anywhere near far enough, despite what Campbell says has been done. I see that there have been moves towards 3 and 5 game packages, which is a step in the right direction.

I know that the AFL and the clubs don't count this towards their membership numbers, and this is a significant problem that has to be addressed -- if this becomes a key part of the business model, 20,000 people on 3 or 5 game memberships are a significant number of people not to be counted (equivalent to essentially 7,000 11-game members).

Also, there needs to be better 'starter' packages -- discounted seating, 'trial' memberships where if you pay for two, three or five games, you get to later upgrade to a 'full' membership minus the cost of your trial membership. The 'credit' from these trial memberships could also be valid over two or three years if they decide to go for a 17-game membership.

Also, as we are seeing a good representation in Auskick, there should be an Auskick membership product tied into game attendances -- families can't commit to that many games a year, so something like a heavily discounted Auskick 3-game son/daughter + 1 (mom/dad) ticket would go some way to bringing those who otherwise wouldn't attend a game through the gates.

---

Finally, I just think that the 'membership' model is a particularly bad business model for a growth industry, and completely unsustainable in a fluctuating and constantly changing market: cinemas don't expect you to pay for twenty movies upfront (although you get a discount if you do), and restaurants don't get you to pay for ten meals for the year. The reality is that 'pay as you go' is the most viable model for all types of businesses, and gate receipts should be the only indicator of commercial success -- the problem then is the stadium deal, where the profits from the patrons don't come back to the club, and this is hardly the fault of Bulldogs supporters.

If the club can wrest back control of ticket sales from Ticketmaster and Ticketek and sell their own tickets so that they can track the profits accordingly, it would make a huge difference (despite missing out on the footprint of those ticketing outlets, which isn't that large anyway).

These are not short-term solutions, but I have little sympathy for the club as it continues to complain about the churn rate year after year and blaming supporters, without really making any radical changes to its business plan (membership wise -- it has made huge strides in other areas). The changes have all been tinkering at the edges, and it's the definition of insanity to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

bornadog
11-06-2009, 04:09 PM
As a business, it is the responsbility of the club to create a product that will be appealing to its prospective customers. Currently, we have a generic 'membership' package (with some minor variation in detail) that all clubs use regardless of the demographic of their fanbase -- so you have independently wealthy Hawthorn members living in Kew offered the same (or very similar) packages to a working class family living in (insert suburb here, don't want to inadvertantly offend anybody).

That's not good business.

While I am a member, I just don't see how following a football team, which is supposed to be competing on the same level with such 'entertainment' sources as movies and hospitality, can possibly be competitive if priced and structured on the same level as car or medical insurance, which is what a $300+ annual commitment is on the level of.

---

Now, let's assume that 20,000 is the baseline that will sign up regardless of what the product is (seems about right as the churn rate averages around 25% annually).

Campbell seems to suggest that the Dogs as a team are the product -- they're exciting, relatively successful etc. etc.

That's fair enough, except that people evaluate the membership based on its cost-benefit, not on how pretty the Dogs look on-field, and currently it's an outlay of $300+ for a schedule that people may not be able to commit to that far in advance (thus the preference for buying their tickets closer to the date of the game), which (as evidenced by the churn rate) is not something many people find unsustainable. The MEMBERSHIP PACKAGES are the product, not the Dogs.

Also (anecdotally anyway), the bulk of our future support will come from the growing corridors in Melbourne's west. These are made up of relocating families from other parts of Australia, as well as new migrants. This potential customer base will NOT commit to 11 or 17 game packages, especially if they are new to the sport.

--

I think that there is far more that can be done in terms of flexible membership packages, and I don't think the ones that we have currently go anywhere near far enough, despite what Campbell says has been done. I see that there have been moves towards 3 and 5 game packages, which is a step in the right direction.

I know that the AFL and the clubs don't count this towards their membership numbers, and this is a significant problem that has to be addressed -- if this becomes a key part of the business model, 20,000 people on 3 or 5 game memberships are a significant number of people not to be counted (equivalent to essentially 7,000 11-game members).

Also, there needs to be better 'starter' packages -- discounted seating, 'trial' memberships where if you pay for two, three or five games, you get to later upgrade to a 'full' membership minus the cost of your trial membership. The 'credit' from these trial memberships could also be valid over two or three years if they decide to go for a 17-game membership.

Also, as we are seeing a good representation in Auskick, there should be an Auskick membership product tied into game attendances -- families can't commit to that many games a year, so something like a heavily discounted Auskick 3-game son/daughter + 1 (mom/dad) ticket would go some way to bringing those who otherwise wouldn't attend a game through the gates.

---

Finally, I just think that the 'membership' model is a particularly bad business model for a growth industry, and completely unsustainable in a fluctuating and constantly changing market: cinemas don't expect you to pay for twenty movies upfront (although you get a discount if you do), and restaurants don't get you to pay for ten meals for the year. The reality is that 'pay as you go' is the most viable model for all types of businesses, and gate receipts should be the only indicator of commercial success -- the problem then is the stadium deal, where the profits from the patrons don't come back to the club, and this is hardly the fault of Bulldogs supporters.

If the club can wrest back control of ticket sales from Ticketmaster and Ticketek and sell their own tickets so that they can track the profits accordingly, it would make a huge difference (despite missing out on the footprint of those ticketing outlets, which isn't that large anyway).

These are not short-term solutions, but I have little sympathy for the club as it continues to complain about the churn rate year after year and blaming supporters, without really making any radical changes to its business plan (membership wise -- it has made huge strides in other areas). The changes have all been tinkering at the edges, and it's the definition of insanity to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Whilst I agree with most of your post there area couple of things the Bulldogs have done and have been the first to do so, in order to accommodate potential members that you should consider. The club was first to introduce the monthly payment plan and now have a weekly payment plan. This equates to around $4 per week, which is cheaper than a loaf of bread, cheaper than a stubby and not much more than a latte. When you break down the figures like this, it comes down to the fact, that money isnot the issue.

There is something else that is stopping regular footy goers from committing to 11 games, which baffles the Club. We have had great support at our games this year, averaging around 40,000 at the Dome and Canberra was a sea of red, white and blue.

Maybe the Club does need to look at its business plan and re-look at the way it promotes membership. I have always thought that a membership ticket should be more than a ticket to a game, but should incorporate other benefits, or be linked to other community activity in some way. Membership should make you feel proud you are supporting the club financially, and each member should be recognized for that support in some way. eg, The Hawks introduced the scarf with - member since printed on it. So many Hawks supporters are proud to say they have supported the club for eg 20 years etc. Maybe there should be a loyalty scheme of some sort, earning points, and getting discounted membership. There are lots of things the club can do.

As you say, the way its done now, is the generic way the AFL has operated for a long time, and for the dogs, its not working.

Sockeye Salmon
11-06-2009, 04:22 PM
I've always liked the idea of linking access to Grand Final tickets to the number of consecutive years membership.

If you let your membership lapse when times are bad, then you miss out when the going is good.

Mofra
11-06-2009, 04:26 PM
I've always liked the idea of linking access to Grand Final tickets to the number of consecutive years membership.

If you let your membership lapse when times are bad, then you miss out when the going is good.
That's interesting thinking, because an incentive scheme is something a few clubs have considered and is worth looking at.
Hawthorn have the years of consecutive membership printed on scarves which I think is a good idea, as you wouldn't want to reset to zero for missing a year if you had clocked a few up.

aker39
11-06-2009, 05:10 PM

A membership cost $160. It is not an annual payment, it can be spread over 12 monthly payments.

You go to 10 movies over a 6 month period and you will pay $150

It is not a $300 committment. It is only $300 if you want a seat. $160 or $13 a month is not over the top.

Also, the club introduced 3 game memberships this year to cater for your new migrant members example.

Auskick attendees are given 4 free tickets to an AFL match every year.

LostDoggy
11-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I like the idea of putting the membership number of years on the scarves, but considering the way the membership department have stuffed up so many memberships this year - I could imagine that adding another item that could potentially be stuffed up would not help.

A couple of years ago, Hawthorn had the best bumper sticker I have ever seen "Proud, Passionate and Paid up" it was brilliant. A lot better than "Through and Through:"eek: I think the reality is that until we win another premiership we will struggle to get members.

aker39
11-06-2009, 05:24 PM

Pay as you go will never work. The Dogs are 0-6, how many people do you think will pay the next 4 months of their membership.

The club offers the next best thing, payments spread over 12 months.

What are you saying, Ticketmaster & Ticketek fudge the figures they give the club.

They are just a 3rd party, with expertise in selling tickets (some would argue otherwise) that the club uses to sell their tickets. I don't see how that has any effect on membership or club profits.

The club has introduced the bulldog friendly business program as well as the opportunity for members to see the view from their seats before they committ to that seat.

Yes, they could improve things a bit, but I think the club does a good job in most areas, but if you look back over membership numbers for the last 25 years, when all clubs were doing exactly the same thing in relation to memberhsip, Footscray/Western Bulldogs have been at the bottom of the list.

The one stat that I would like to see is the number of bulldog members as a % of our supporters. I think it would be up there with the best of clubs

hujsh
11-06-2009, 10:06 PM
A couple of years ago, Hawthorn had the best bumper sticker I have ever seen "Proud, Passionate and Paid up" it was brilliant. A lot better than "Through and Through:"eek: I think the reality is that until we win another premiership we will struggle to get members.

Throughandthrough may need to have a word with you

LostDoggy
12-06-2009, 01:07 PM
A membership cost $160. It is not an annual payment, it can be spread over 12 monthly payments.

You go to 10 movies over a 6 month period and you will pay $150.

Hi aker39.

But an installment plan is still a commitment -- it's a bit like a mobile phone plan where you're 'locked in', and while many are happy to do that, pre-paid phones still do a roaring trade as some people just like to have control over their long-term spend. Memberships don't allow for this.

And it doesn't address the issue of not knowing your schedule 6 months in advance. I'm sure most of us here have missed games that we've already pre-paid for. If you do your sums, every game we miss in effect substantially knocks up the price of the other games that we go to.

I've already had to miss two home games this year, and will be missing another three due to future commitments. A non die-hard unlike myself would be hard-pressed to justify paying a full-price membership if they know they'll be missing five-plus games.

It is not a $300 committment. It is only $300 if you want a seat. $160 or $13 a month is not over the top.

Also, the club introduced 3 game memberships this year to cater for your new migrant members example..

The 3 game memberships are a great idea, as I've already mentioned.

I would also argue that the only value for money is a reserved seat membership, as there is no other way to guarantee a good seat.

A general membership doesn't have the benefit of a guaranteed good seat, and is not much cheaper than buying your tickets on the go, and you don't have to pay for the games you don't go to.

The only thing making people buy general memberships are supposed club 'loyalty', and that's terrible business.

Auskick attendees are given 4 free tickets to an AFL match every year.

I was not aware of this (not having kids of my own, although I have four nephews playing in Auskick). Thanks for the info.. very good initiative. Perhaps the Dogs can build on this by offering Auskickers who are Bulldogs fans extra perks on top of your average Auskick kid.

My suggestions are just off the top of my head without any real research, but it doesn't take a genius to know that somewhere out there is a revolutionary business model for club profitability that is yet to be invented, and it is low-membership clubs like the Dogs that have the greatest incentive to invent it.

aker39
12-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi aker39.

But an installment plan is still a commitment -- it's a bit like a mobile phone plan where you're 'locked in', and while many are happy to do that, pre-paid phones still do a roaring trade as some people just like to have control over their long-term spend. Memberships don't allow for this.

And it doesn't address the issue of not knowing your schedule 6 months in advance. I'm sure most of us here have missed games that we've already pre-paid for. If you do your sums, every game we miss in effect substantially knocks up the price of the other games that we go to.

I've already had to miss two home games this year, and will be missing another three due to future commitments. A non die-hard unlike myself would be hard-pressed to justify paying a full-price membership if they know they'll be missing five-plus games.

Yes agree with all of that, but I think you need to compare a football club membership to golf club membership, or tennis club membership or gym membership.

You have a set term, and you can't pull out before the end of the term. You may not play golf for 3 months or go to the gym for 3 months, but you still pay your membership fees.

I just can't see any football club membership working that doesn't include a long term committment, because there are too many fair weather supporters who would just stop.

My suggestions are just off the top of my head without any real research, but it doesn't take a genius to know that somewhere out there is a revolutionary business model for club profitability that is yet to be invented, and it is low-membership clubs like the Dogs that have the greatest incentive to invent it.

I'm sure there are, antd the 1st club to come up with it, will profit from it.

But all clubs have full time marketing & membership departments and have not had any luck to date in coming up with new ideas.

I think if we have any great ideas, we should send them to the club.

LostDoggy
12-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Pay as you go will never work. The Dogs are 0-6, how many people do you think will pay the next 4 months of their membership.

The club offers the next best thing, payments spread over 12 months.

But 'pay as you go' ALREADY exists as an option. It's called 'buying your tickets at the gate', which obviously quite a few people prefer to do instead of buying a membership ticket.

I don't understand why this should be a problem, unless the stadium deal sucks compared to profit from memberships, and this is hardly the customer's problem, is it (I'm talking as if the Dogs are a business here).

If fans are going to the game, it really shouldn't matter how they pay for their seats -- be it membership, or gate receipts, as long as it is divvied up properly. If this all adds up, the only time a membership would be more lucrative for the club would be the extra money they get from pre-paid members who don't turn up as they wouldn't otherwise get that money from an unsold ticket.. but that's borderline dishonest as they are profiting from NOT offering a service.

What are you saying, Ticketmaster & Ticketek fudge the figures they give the club.

They are just a 3rd party, with expertise in selling tickets (some would argue otherwise) that the club uses to sell their tickets. I don't see how that has any effect on membership or club profits.

They don't have to fudge anything -- it's a simple concept of a middle-man taking their cut. The more intermediaries, the smaller the slice of pie that eventually gets back to the club.

Of course, this is theoretically offset by the ticketing specialists like Ticketmaster/Ticketek having the footprint to sell more tickets than the club would do otherwise, but I argue that with the Internet having the universal reach that it does, and the drastic reduction in the number of Ticketmaster/Ticketek outlets over the last five years means that we are not really any better off having our tickets sold through crappy agents (as you've already alluded to) and having to pay them a cut for it.

The club has introduced the bulldog friendly business program as well as the opportunity for members to see the view from their seats before they committ to that seat.

Yes, they could improve things a bit, but I think the club does a good job in most areas, but if you look back over membership numbers for the last 25 years, when all clubs were doing exactly the same thing in relation to memberhsip, Footscray/Western Bulldogs have been at the bottom of the list.

The one stat that I would like to see is the number of bulldog members as a % of our supporters. I think it would be up there with the best of clubs

I completely agree that the club does a FANTASTIC job in most areas, as I've said in my previous post -- it is in this area that I have criticisms, ESPECIALLY since Campbell and David come out every year to lambast 'lapsed members'.

But how can we expect to outstrip the pack when ALL clubs experience relative growth tied to the same business model -- if all the clubs are using the same business model, how are the Dogs supposed to get ahead? If they grow by 100% (which they have more than done over the last 10 years), then theoretically, a club like Essendon would also grow by 100% or more in the same time, using the same business model (I know this is simplistic, but there is a basic logic there...)

The only way the Dogs would get ahead of the curve is if they use a different, more competitive model where we can get first mover advantage and a jump on everyone else. Otherwise, how do we expect our figures to grow when everyone else's (bar Hawthorn whose figures are skewed from a Premiership) has remained stagnant?

Premierships are of course the best boost to membership, but failing that, we are just not creative enough to differentiate from the pack in this area.

Is there some legal requirement that we have to use the AFL's generic membership blueprint?

LostDoggy
12-06-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm sure there are, antd the 1st club to come up with it, will profit from it.

But all clubs have full time marketing & membership departments and have not had any luck to date in coming up with new ideas.

I think if we have any great ideas, we should send them to the club.

This is not the domain of single 'great ideas', however. A revolutionary business model to change an organisation's core profit vehicle needs some serious high-level corporate strategy experience, someone who has taken a large organisation through the type of change that firms like Toyota or Apple has gone through.

It requires the type of commercial expertise of which, despite the fantastic work all marketing and membership departments do, is surely missing in most footy departments, as it would be a massive cost to the club to get someone like this in. The wrong person would be disastrous, but the right person would change the face of football marketing in the country. Campbell has massive experience, and he would know people like this in his sphere.

Is the risk worth it? I guess the club has to answer that for itself, but if it's whinging every year about being at the bottom of the pile re: membership numbers DESPITE massive overall growth in the past decade and a half (from 8,000 to 26,000), then perhaps that is an investment worth making.

aker39
12-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Is the risk worth it? I guess the club has to answer that for itself, but if it's whinging every year about being at the bottom of the pile re: membership numbers DESPITE massive overall growth in the past decade and a half (from 8,000 to 26,000), then perhaps that is an investment worth making.

They can have the best marketing/management person in the world, but the one thing that that person can't control is the on field performance, and unfortunately that is the biggest factor in the majority of people who decide whether to buy a membership on a year by year basis.

LostDoggy
13-06-2009, 11:22 PM
If tonight's performance doesn't get people to sign up, i'm not sure what will.

LostDoggy
14-06-2009, 12:52 AM
My mate is a Melbourne supporter and we always come to one conclusion. Success gets you members. We have been crap for a long long time that is the nuts and bolts of it and until we have a couple of cups in the cupboard nothing will change.

LostDoggy
14-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Better half and I spent the night trying to find a pub that was showing the game, one regular place closed for a private function and the other one doing renovations - we ended up at a Irish pub, where we met up with an old timer with the transistor radio (yes it was that old) attentively listening to the game. Anyway, turns out he is not a member, which was suprising considering how passionate he seemed to be. After a bit of hassling from me has agreed to sign up.

I just wish the club would, show the interstate games at WO, we would make the pilgrimage from the North East if it means that we get to watch the game with other doggie supporters, happy to buy a meal and have a few drinks to put some money into the dogs kitty as well.

azabob
14-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Better half and I spent the night trying to find a pub that was showing the game, one regular place closed for a private function and the other one doing renovations - we ended up at a Irish pub, where we met up with an old timer with the transistor radio (yes it was that old) attentively listening to the game. Anyway, turns out he is not a member, which was suprising considering how passionate he seemed to be. After a bit of hassling from me has agreed to sign up.

I just wish the club would, show the interstate games at WO, we would make the pilgrimage from the North East if it means that we get to watch the game with other doggie supporters, happy to buy a meal and have a few drinks to put some money into the dogs kitty as well.

Brilliant idea, why dont they?

Or do they and don't publicise it?

LostDoggy
24-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Game Day: 27,401
Total: 30,361

Sockeye Salmon
24-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Game Day: 27,401
Total: 30,361

That must really be the most frustrating thing for Smorgon.

I don't get it, we make a prelim, have a good start to the next season, play attacking footy and membership drops? WTF?

It doesn't make sense.

bornadog
24-06-2009, 04:48 PM
That must really be the most frustrating thing for Smorgon.

I don't get it, we make a prelim, have a good start to the next season, play attacking footy and membership drops? WTF?

It doesn't make sense.

So called supporters are a disgrace:mad:

LostDoggy
24-06-2009, 05:52 PM
I wonder if the club are calling the members who has not resigned as member. Last I heard there were
6000 members last year who has not resigned.

What about a half season membership, Bulldogs run home this season are fantastic. nearly all are in
Melbourne.

Come on doggies supporters........

LostDoggy
24-06-2009, 06:04 PM
I got an email today from the club saying "we've noticed you're not a member, here are our deals we have" etc. Which was annoying, because I am a member, so I'm not entirely sure they're emailing the right people.

ledge
24-06-2009, 06:21 PM
I got an email today from the club saying "we've noticed you're not a member, here are our deals we have" etc. Which was annoying, because I am a member, so I'm not entirely sure they're emailing the right people.

Sure you are :D Your trickin.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-06-2009, 06:30 PM
It's extremely annoying.

We've never been in a better position both on and off the field.

Why wouldn't you become a member?

I understand some people are under financial pressures, but the club has that monthly system which works out to be very affordable.

bornadog
24-06-2009, 08:50 PM
It's extremely annoying.

I understand some people are under financial pressures, but the club has that monthly system which works out to be very affordable.

They now have a weekly payment system.

G-Mo77
24-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I think it is time to throw some real scare tatics out there. Many Bulldog supporters don't realise how important buying a membership is a lot of people still think that turning up and buying a ticket helps. I'm really only judging that on my own personal experience with supporters at games and who I know but it is the only explanation I can find why people don't buy one. I've never been a fan of the hard sell but after this seasons totals, which to be honest is really disappointing, I think it maybe needed. Get on the phone to these people, ask them why they haven't resigned, explain how vital the membership is to the club, basiclly make them buy one!

IMO it's not a good thing that our small membership base has got to pick up the slack for other people. I'm happy to do it, I don't think there is another thing in this world that I'd rather throw my money at (Don't tell my wife that) but I don't think it is something the club can rely on long term. There just seems to be no growth despite our recent success and to me that is scary!

Sockeye Salmon
24-06-2009, 10:15 PM
I think it is time to throw some real scare tatics out there. Many Bulldog supporters don't realise how important buying a membership is a lot of people still think that turning up and buying a ticket helps. I'm really only judging that on my own personal experience with supporters at games and who I know but it is the only explanation I can find why people don't buy one. I've never been a fan of the hard sell but after this seasons totals, which to be honest is really disappointing, I think it maybe needed. Get on the phone to these people, ask them why they haven't resigned, explain how vital the membership is to the club, basiclly make them buy one!

IMO it's not a good thing that our small membership base has got to pick up the slack for other people. I'm happy to do it, I don't think there is another thing in this world that I'd rather throw my money at (Don't tell my wife that) but I don't think it is something the club can rely on long term. There just seems to be no growth despite our recent success and to me that is scary!

Taking this the other way around, perhaps people now percieve us to be safe and where they once bought a membership even though they could barely afford it or used it, now don't feel they need to anymore.

KT31
26-06-2009, 12:54 AM
So called supporters are a disgrace:mad:

Supporters aren't a disgrace they are the ones with membership, our followers are the problem.

KT31
26-06-2009, 12:59 AM
It's extremely annoying.

Could argue ''55 after winning flag and having most members in the VFL.
And never built on to become a powerhouse.

bornadog
03-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Current figure posted on WB site:

Full members - 28,216

Total incl non ticket - 31,215

This is disappointing.

hujsh
03-07-2009, 03:31 PM
That's not far from our record is it?

Sockeye Salmon
03-07-2009, 04:49 PM
500 or so shy.

LostDoggy
06-07-2009, 08:16 PM
I lost my membership card. $11 to bloody print a new one! What a rip off. Surely it doesn't cost that much for them to process a new one. The girl said it will be posted tomorrow and I bet I don't receive it by Friday in time for the game!

LostDoggy
06-07-2009, 10:10 PM
LOL. It's only $11 come on :P

Great idea about playing away games @ Whitten Oval. I've got Fox Sports, but even then I would go out to the ground to watch it there with mates for a beer and a few snacks (or a snack and a few beers more like it :D )

And I got 4 of my mates who have never been members before to sign up for Gold Membership with me this year! Now to just get them all on Social Club...

BulldogBelle
07-07-2009, 08:15 AM
And I got 4 of my mates who have never been members before to sign up for Gold Membership with me this year! Now to just get them all on Social Club...

Well done!

GVGjr
07-07-2009, 09:06 AM
It's a shame that we struggle to keep our members signing up. The ones that I have talked to over the years that have failed to renew their memberships mainly give the impression of being lazy than really being a financial constraint for them.

Mantis
07-07-2009, 09:20 AM
I lost my membership card. $11 to bloody print a new one! What a rip off. Surely it doesn't cost that much for them to process a new one. The girl said it will be posted tomorrow and I bet I don't receive it by Friday in time for the game!

If you haven't received the card by Friday make sure you ring and notify the club. In the past when I did the same thing the club left me a ticket at one of the gates so that I could gain entry to the ground.