* Picture from Kangaroos.com.au

Drew Petrie Stats:
Number: 20
Height: 197cm
Weight: 105kg
D.O.B: 15/10/82
Games: 155
Goals: 130

This week’s choice of opposition player stems from one of my least enjoyable days at the footy as a Bulldogs supporter. On the 1st July 2007 we played the then Kangaroos FC, at the MCG, in what as luck would have it, was Glen Archer’s 300th game. It was always going to be a tough ask but it emerged very early on that we weren’t mentally prepared for the task at hand. We were 22 points down at quarter time but at the ground you knew we were finished, the 22 points may as well have been 100.
And our chief destroyer in that first quarter? Was it champion Roos small Brent Harvey who often proves our nemesis? Or inconsistent but potentially game breaking midfielder Daniel Wells? Or even Archer, who despite most of his body being partially crippled by self administered abuse on the field over the years, was still as courageous and tough as they came.

No, it was Drew “The Dish” Petrie.

If anything deflated a loving Bulldog heart that day, it was the sight of Petrie, previously a fairly lowly regarded utility tall who’d never seemingly found his position for any length of time, slotting 6 goals in the first quarter. Tom Williams looking every bit the inexperienced Queenslander. The artist formerly known as Brian Harris looking like he wasn’t fit to hold a candle next to this 30 minute unstoppable colossus. Sure he kicked only one more for the game to finish with seven, but by quarter time our backline were embarrassed.
2007 proved to be one of his most consistent years spending most of his time up forward and kicking 38 goals. In 2008 he stepped it up a notch again, this time spending a lot more time in the ruck and around the ground proving himself to be a much more damaging player than many of us had previously expected.
While he’s not a player likely to tear us apart (surely twice in a lifetime is too much), he is the kind of solid mobile tall that we’ve had trouble with in the past, who can be used forward in an attempt to stretch us. While it’s true that we have more height in the backline nowadays, Tom Williams is still not 100%, Everitt is still a bit suspect one on one and like Tiller probably doesn't have the size to match up on him.

Here’s some Youtube footage (with appalling audio) for those brave enough to relive it.

LR_TSVqB1eU

Bio From Kangaroos.com.au
North Melbourne’s second round draft selection (no. 23) in the 2000 National Draft, Petrie is now a seasoned campaigner. The 26 year-old has been a regular in the Kangaroos’ team since 2003 and notched up his 150th game in 2008.

Petrie has been used in a variety of roles throughout his career, primarily as a pinch-hitting forward and in the ruck. He’s had to come up against much bigger opponents, yet still provides plenty of hit-outs for his team.

After playing as a forward in the 2007 campaign and booting 38 goals, Petrie was expected to have even more of a presence in the forward line in 2008 but it wasn’t to be.

The 26 year-old played the important role of dropping back into defence and had the most consistent season of his career. He constantly repelled the opposition attack and took vital marks to help North Melbourne to the finals.

The big man was awarded the vice-captaincy after presenting fine leadership skills during the year and finished second in the Syd Barker Medal. He was also given the honor of representing his country in the International Rules series.

How will we counter him? I didn’t get to see North’s game against Melbourne so I’m not sure if he played a different role at all, but he was so successful in his role as a ruckman last year that I can’t imagine it will change much. He will drop back into the backline which will cause us problems if the Roos get decent pressure on us coming through the midfield. He can also be rested up forward while McIntosh goes into the ruck (Hale seems to be pretty much a permanent forward nowadays). He probably is a bit too mobile around the ground for both Hudson and Minson, despite being at a slight size disadvantage at the bounces. I’m not entirely sure of the best way to counter him around the ground if he does manage to slip away from our two rucks. Reducing his effectiveness will probably be more reliant on good midfield pressure and making sure he isn’t able to go unmarked around the ground. If we can move the ball well it will also help take him out of the game a bit if he does drop back deep. The obvious match up for him if he goes forward is Williams with Lake as a backup hoping that they get a better handle on him than they did back in 2007.

Go_Dogs
31-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Fantastic choice. This bloke always destroys us, or at least, does some damage. The hardest aspect of his match up is that he is super adaptable and will play almost everywhere.

I'd almost be tempted to throw Williams on him, and make him follow Petrie no matter where he goes, unless of course he's thrown into the ruck. Between McIntosh, Hale and Petrie they have some very good talls that we need to be careful of.

Mantis
31-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah good choice Underdog.

He is a bit of a barometer for North so he one player who's influence we need to nulify.

I too didn't see there rd 1 effort so would be interested to know from people who did where he lined up and what sort of role he played?

whythelongface
31-03-2009, 10:53 PM
I thought he might have been reported after his head high tackle in the first qtr against the Dees. However it does not appear to be the case - hoping he would be rubbed out for a week or two.

Always seems to produce his best against us for some reason - a bit like the rest of his team.

GVGjr
31-03-2009, 10:58 PM
He really steps up against us doesn't he? Good versatile player as well. I have seen him do well in the back line, forward line and even in the ruck against us.

The Pie Man
31-03-2009, 11:14 PM
You'd think Williams would get first crack (and probably why he was earmarked for a rnd 2 return pre-season) though it's easy to forget the likes of McIntosh & Hale.

Without stating the obvious, Eade & co will want this game very badly. I believe it's a focus of Rocket's to break hoodoos, and North have it on us ATM.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I think the key is the pressure on the ball carrier into the forward line, If we do this the supply isn't as good and the backs will towel him up. The likes of Harvey & co need to be under pressure all day.

The Underdog
01-04-2009, 09:43 AM
I thought he might have been reported after his head high tackle in the first qtr against the Dees. However it does not appear to be the case - hoping he would be rubbed out for a week or two.

Always seems to produce his best against us for some reason - a bit like the rest of his team.

I had already committed to focusing on him when I saw that, so I waited until after the review panel to put him up just in case I was going to lose what I'd already done. Thought he might have a case to answer.

North reallly do seem to step up against us, they own us like no other team does atm.

LostDoggy
01-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Petrie is a dangerous and very versatile playing either CHF, CHB or in the ruck, against us I would imgaine he might start at CHF so Williams would be his natural opponent. I think we should remember though when considering 2007 that Williams was younger and far greener then, watching him then he used to get pushed off the contest and now he holds his body position much better. If they rotate Petrie with Hale deep in the forward line then Brian Lake would be the best choice.

If Williams can actually stay fit and put some games together we will have a very adaptable backline this year turning what many have considered our weakness into a strength.

The big danger will be if they use Petrie as a marking target through the middle or as a roaming player in the Richo mould starting on a wing and pushing up and back. With a limited preseason Williams may not have the fitness to run with him and he would be too tall for Morris

LostDoggy
02-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Petrie is a dangerous and very versatile playing either CHF, CHB or in the ruck, against us I would imgaine he might start at CHF so Williams would be his natural opponent. I think we should remember though when considering 2007 that Williams was younger and far greener then, watching him then he used to get pushed off the contest and now he holds his body position much better. If they rotate Petrie with Hale deep in the forward line then Brian Lake would be the best choice.

If Williams can actually stay fit and put some games together we will have a very adaptable backline this year turning what many have considered our weakness into a strength.

The big danger will be if they use Petrie as a marking target through the middle or as a roaming player in the Richo mould starting on a wing and pushing up and back. With a limited preseason Williams may not have the fitness to run with him and he would be too tall for Morris

Spot on SOLB. I'd love to have a player like Petrie out our club. He is tall, strong and has been getting a bit better over the last couple of years. We haven't seen the nest of him yet.

KT31
02-04-2009, 10:48 PM
it was Glen Archer’s 300th game. .

Who's milestone is it this game ?
It always seems to be a Shin Boners milestone when we play them.

Sockeye Salmon
02-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Spot on SOLB. I'd love to have a player like Petrie out our club. He is tall, strong and has been getting a bit better over the last couple of years. We haven't seen the nest of him yet.

We could have had him except we picked McMahon instead.

LostDoggy
03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
We could have had him except we picked McMahon instead.

Which then gave us Callan Ward, so one can't be too picky, I suppose.

LostDoggy
03-04-2009, 04:11 PM
On topic, the description of Petrie reminds me a bit of Skipper, except slightly taller. Petrie's been given the space and time to develop as part of North's first 22 though over a few years, and he's alot better for it. I wonder if we mollycoddle our talls a bit too much, so much so that some never even make it on the park. Someone like Petrie had to play for North because they've always been a little bit short on the star personnel, but he's become more than handy along the journey.

Just thinking aloud, as North now seem to have a surplus of talls who can ruck and play KPF, while we have struggled to identify even one decent one in quite a while. I suppose what I'm saying is Ayce and Roughead and Grant should play as soon as they are physically ready so they can develop at the highest level.